Scarlet fever is an infection of Streptococcus A bacteria and accompanies “strep throat”. Its incidence has reduced drastically over the last 100 years due to the use of antibiotics to combat the infection. However, some countries have recently experienced a resurgence. (1) It’s not yet understood why this is the case.(2)
Even so, worldwide, scarlet fever is a relatively rare condition, affecting less than 10% of those with strep throat. (3)
Scarlet Fever Symptoms
Scarlet fever can occur when the bacteria secrete a particular toxin to which the affected person is sensitive. It occurs mostly in children aged 5-15 and manifests with specific symptoms.
They include (4):
- Fever over 101°F
- Red rash (hence the term “scarlet fever”) developing on the face, chest, abdomen, and back and spreading to other parts of the body. Skin looks like it’s sunburned and is rough and scratchy. However, the skin around the mouth retains normal coloration. Skin will start to peel about a week after the rash appears.
- A sore throat with white and yellow patches
- Swollen tonsils and/or other glands
- White tongue with red spots (“strawberry tongue”)
- Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain
- Headaches, chills
Scarlet fever can be dangerous if left untreated, as the infection can cause long-term health effects such as (5):
- Rheumatic fever (an inflammatory disease that can affect the heart, joints, skin, and brain)
- Kidney disease (inflammation of the kidneys, called post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis)
- Otitis media (ear infection)
- Skin infections
- Abscesses (pockets of pus) of the throat
- Pneumonia (lung infection)
- Arthritis (joint inflammation)
Preventing Scarlet Fever
Scarlet fever is a highly contagious infection. Exposure to anything that the infected person has touched, coughed or sneezed on puts you at risk for contracting the infection.
Common sense efforts to reduce the risk apply:
- Hand washing with soap and water, especially after blowing the nose and before eating.
- Keep contaminated implements like toothbrushes, cups, and toys quarantined from the rest of the family.
- No skin-to-skin contact with someone who has scarlet fever or strep throat.
What Should I do if my Child has Scarlet Fever?
Treatment with antibiotics is the standard course of action for scarlet fever. In fact, it’s the first thing your family doctor will recommend. This is one of those cases for which antibiotics are indicated, as scarlet fever can pose long-term risks. Alternatively, there are natural antibiotic remedies that have been shown effective against strep throat.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Cayenne pepper
- Vitamin C
- Essential Oils
Click here for more.
Home Remedies for Scarlet Fever
Here are some home remedies to try for your little (or not-so-little) one to ease the symptoms of scarlet fever and promote rapid healing.
Always at the top of the list to combat illness, adequate hydration plus some extra will help the body’s natural ability to rid itself of harmful bacteria.
Add the following to water (hot or cold) to ease a sore throat:
- Honey: soothing, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and sweet
- Raspberry leaves: contain astringent tannins that soothe, vitamins and minerals, fruity (6)
- Mint leaves: support the immune system, antibacterial, analgesic, anesthetic, and cooling (7)
- Lemon: mild acid to kill bacteria, loads of vitamin C for the immune system
2. Salt Gargle
If your child is old enough to gargle, salt water is a great vehicle for fast relief from a sore throat. Kids really like making the sound, too! You can find recipes for antiseptic and soothing gargles and throat spray here.
3. Use a Humidifier
Moist air is easier on the throat and nose; it can also ease congestion, relieve coughing, and ease skin itch. Plus, it hydrates sinus and lung tissue. Using a diffuser to add healing essential oils into the air will bring lasting relief since using essential oils in a humidifier isn’t recommended.
4. Essential Oils for Skin
Essential oils provide soothing anti-inflammatories and antibacterials to relieve the itch of scarlet fever rash. If applying topically, always mix essential oils with a carrier oil (jojoba, sesame, olive, coconut, avocado, etc.). Here’s the recommended ratio: 4-5 drops of essential oil to one teaspoon of carrier oil. Always test the mixture in a small spot for 24 hours for sensitivity before widespread use. Lavender, patchouli, geranium, tea tree, rosemary, and peppermint are suggested to treat a rash.
5. Keep Fingernails Short
It’s simple: long or chipped fingernails can further irritate skin when it is inevitably scratched. Excessive scratching can lead to open sores and possible infection.
6. Soups and Soft Foods
Keeping up nutrition for scarlet fever is essential for quickly getting rid of the infection. Bone broth and chicken soup are full of vitamins and minerals that nourish and support the immune system. They’re also comforting, warm and soothing. Vegetable soups deliver soft bits of nutrition that don’t hurt to eat.
Vegetable soups deliver plenty of easy-to-digest nutrition. Garlic is a potent antibiotic—more effective than pharmaceuticals—and our garlic soup recipe is loaded with it. Alternatively, oatmeal is a good option for breakfast (and is a soothing bath for the skin).
7. Throat Drops
If your child is old enough for throat and cough drops, they’re an effective way of delivering medicine where it’s needed to calm pain, ease cough and congestion, and kill bacteria. You’ll find recipes for homemade drops here that contain only natural, healthful ingredients.
8. Limit Irritant Exposure
Laundry detergent, dryer sheets, fabric softeners, personal care products (e.g., shampoo, soap, lotion), household cleaners, and cigarette smoke can further irritate sensitive skin and mucous membranes. That’s why it’s important to use natural products instead of harsh chemicals. The negative effects of second-hand smoke on your child (even more so when s/he’s ill) is yet another reason to quit smoking cigarettes.
Most children will recover from these scarlet fever symptoms with adequate rest, nutrition, and antibiotic treatment in 7-10 days. If on an antibiotic regimen, don’t allow your child to come into contact with others until 24 hours after treatment starts, when the infection is no longer contagious.
- Reduce Bloating And Drop Water Weight In 7 Days With Jillian Michaels’ Detox Drink
Feeling bloated, tired or both? You’re not alone. Every day millions of Americans are exposed to environmental toxins. Whether it’s …
- You’ll Never Use Store-Bought Butter Again After You See How Easy It Is To Make It Yourself!
Butter is a staple in many homes across America. It’s a versatile food that’s easily used in a variety of …
- How to Relieve a Migraine Every Time in Under 30 Minutes With Ginger Water
There’s nothing like a bad migraine to ruin your day. While headaches can be bad on their own, but when …
- Here’s What Happens When You Don’t Clear Out The Gunk In Your Colon (And How To Fix It In 1 Month)
When your body processes food, waste can sometimes build up on the wall of your colon. This excess waste that should …
- This Natural Grout Cleaner Doesn’t Produce Any Toxic Fumes And Keeps Your Tiles Clean And Spotless!
Your bathroom is one of the most contaminated areas of your home, other than your kitchen. It’s not just full …
- 6 Most Common Symptoms of Liver Toxicity
After your skin, your liver is the second largest organ in your body. Often overlooked, your liver performs a variety of …
- How to Grow an UNLIMITED Supply of Basil From a Single Plant
Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to have fresh herbs and produce whenever you want? Gardening typically requires planting …
- 5 Key Nutrients to Boost The Immune System
Our immune system does a remarkable job of defending us against disease-causing microorganisms. Unfortunately, sometimes it is overrun by too …
- Clear Your Lungs And Sinuses In 30 Minutes With These Homemade Shower Disks
No one likes feeling sick. Having a sore throat, puffy eyes, and a stuffy nose is a recipe for sleepless …
- Multiple Studies Show THIS Fruit To Be a Powerful Medicine Against Cancer
The herbal medical community has recently announced studies of Soursop. This fruit is more effective for cancer treatment than the numerous …
- Make This Easy Homemade Vegan Toothpaste Using ONLY 3 Ingredients!
This morning, without even knowing it, you might’ve left another deposit of potentially dangerous plastic beads in the delicate ecosystem …
- Dry Skin Brushing Helps Detox Your Skin And Reduce Cellulite…Here’s How To Do It Correctly!
Your lymphatic system plays an important role in helping your body get rid of waste and toxins. One of its main …
- This Is What Tapping THESE Points On Your Body Can Do For You!
Emotions are an essential part of what makes us human. They are at once one of the most enriching elements …
- It’s Easy to Grow a Mint Plant – Here Are 15 Reasons Why You Should
Mint is one of those versatile herbs that lends its flavor to a huge variety of foods. Growing a mint …
- 10 Medicinal Plants That Should Be in Every Garden
In (not-so-long-ago) days past, many families kept a little herb garden–even if it was in a windowbox. The herbs were …