A few years ago, fabric softener and dryer sheets were considered essential tools in your cleaning routine.
However, there has been increasing evidence that these products contain toxic chemicals that can have devastating effects on you family’s health.
For example, dryer sheets often contain Dipalmitoylethyl hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate, a chemical substance known to cause allergic reactions, increase your likelihood of developing asthma and affect reproductive health (1).
Also, dryer sheets end up in landfills where they contaminate soil and underground water supply.
The fresh scent they give your clothes is sourced from “fragrance“, a cocktail of chemicals that can cause skin irritation, damage to the nervous and respiratory system and other health problems.
To protect yourself and your family without sacrificing your laundry routine, try these reusable dryer balls!
DIY Scented Dryer Balls
These dryer balls absorb moisture, rotate clothes, and provide better air circulation to dry your clothes quicker. In fact, they can decrease drying time by 30 to 50% (2).
Just like dryer sheets, they also fight wrinkles and statics, but unlike their toxic counterparts, these balls are safe of sensitive skin and contain no toxic ingredients! For an extra freshness, add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to the balls before use.
You’ll Need :
- One skein (120 yards) of 100% undyed wool
- A crochet hook
- One knee-high pair of pantyhose
- Wrap the yarn around a couple of fingers 10 times or so to make a small ball.
- Remove the yarn from your fingers and wrap tightly about 10 times around the middle.
- Continue wrapping the ball, changing direction continuously to build a round shape. Make sure to wrap tightly to get a solid ball.
- Once your ball is about the size of a golf ball,cut the yarn and pull the end through the ball with your crochet hook.
- Repeat Steps 1-4 to make 2 more balls.
- Place your wool balls in your pantyhose, knotting the pantyhose between the balls.
- Run your wool dryer balls through the hot cycle in washer and dryer. This will help them “felt” and become solid balls.
- Take your balls and wrap them with more yarn until they become the size of tennis balls.
- Repeat steps 6-7.
- Remove balls from pantyhose and use in the dryer in place of dryer sheets.
- What Happens When you Drink Apple Cider Vinegar And Honey Water On An Empty Stomach In The Morning…
Updated Jul 7 2016. Drinking apple cider vinegar and honey water is strongly recommended for people who experience inflammation, problems with …
- High Intensity Exercise Helps Curb Appetite, Study Says
In a new study published in June this year, researchers at the University of Western Australia discovered that high intensity …
- 20 Little-Known Uses for Dandelions From Baking and Pain RELIEF to Quickly Removing Warts
If you’ve ever had a garden or a backyard, then you know how annoying it is to get rid of …
- How To Reset Your Circulation And Metabolism For The Next Day With This 10-Second Reflexology Trick
Feet aren’t pretty, but they sure are useful. Think about it, all day they carry you around, holding up your …
- How To Safely Remove Skin Tags At Home Using THIS Inexpensive Bathroom Item
Skin tags are little annoying flaps of skin that look a bit like warts (1). They’re usually either pink or …
- The Raisins That Cause Allergies, Respiratory Problems, Lung Disease, and Even Cancer
American children are no strangers to raisins – one of the most popular treats found at snack time in schools …
- 3 Proven Ways To Use Intermittent Fasting To Help You Burn Fat
Intermittent fasting – the act of fasting for up to 24 hours at a time – has become particularly popular …
- The Essential Oil Trick That Can Clean The Air In Your Home Better Than Any Diffuser
When it comes to all natural living, essential oils and essential oil diffusers are tools you simply can’t ignore. Made …
- 50+ Unexpected Ways to Use This Miracle Oil (From Managing Diabetes to Baby Wipes)
(originally written by Chantelle Zakariasen) 1. Coconut Oil for Cooking Coconut oil is a great fat to cook with because it’s structure …
- From Cellulite Scrub To Wasp Repellent: 10 Amazing Uses For Coffee Grounds You Never Knew Existed
If you drink coffee every day, then you probably go through a lot of coffee ground. While these little grounds might …
- Black Pepper And Turmeric – The Combination That Could Save Lives
Breast cancer is one of the most feared diseases that can affect both men and women. Although breast cancer itself …
- Marathon Runners Put Winning Aside To Honor World War II Veteran
“Thanks for your service,” utters one racer after the next as they stop in their tracks mid-race to give 95-year-old …
- One Herbal Shampoo That Will Give You Thick And Shiny Fast-Growing Hair
Women often abuse their hair during the everyday styling process. Heat from straighteners and curling irons as well as harsh …
- What Kind of Plastic Are You Eating Out of?
There’s been a lot of talk recently about BPA and other ingredients in plastics that can have a negative effect …
- Bacteria Outbreak: Massive Recall of Frozen Food Products Sold at Trader Joe’s, Costco, And Walmart
358 products sold nationwide at Trader Joe’s, Costco, and Walmart have been recalled out of concern that they were potentially …