A few years ago, fabric softener and dryer sheets were considered essential tools in your cleaning routine.
However, there has been increasing evidence that these products contain toxic chemicals that can have devastating effects on you family’s health.
For example, dryer sheets often contain Dipalmitoylethyl hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate, a chemical substance known to cause allergic reactions, increase your likelihood of developing asthma and affect reproductive health (1).
Also, dryer sheets end up in landfills where they contaminate soil and underground water supply.
The fresh scent they give your clothes is sourced from “fragrance“, a cocktail of chemicals that can cause skin irritation, damage to the nervous and respiratory system and other health problems.
To protect yourself and your family without sacrificing your laundry routine, try these reusable dryer balls!
DIY Scented Dryer Balls
These dryer balls absorb moisture, rotate clothes, and provide better air circulation to dry your clothes quicker. In fact, they can decrease drying time by 30 to 50% (2).
Just like dryer sheets, they also fight wrinkles and statics, but unlike their toxic counterparts, these balls are safe of sensitive skin and contain no toxic ingredients! For an extra freshness, add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to the balls before use.
You’ll Need :
- One skein (120 yards) of 100% undyed wool
- A crochet hook
- One knee-high pair of pantyhose
- Wrap the yarn around a couple of fingers 10 times or so to make a small ball.
- Remove the yarn from your fingers and wrap tightly about 10 times around the middle.
- Continue wrapping the ball, changing direction continuously to build a round shape. Make sure to wrap tightly to get a solid ball.
- Once your ball is about the size of a golf ball,cut the yarn and pull the end through the ball with your crochet hook.
- Repeat Steps 1-4 to make 2 more balls.
- Place your wool balls in your pantyhose, knotting the pantyhose between the balls.
- Run your wool dryer balls through the hot cycle in washer and dryer. This will help them “felt” and become solid balls.
- Take your balls and wrap them with more yarn until they become the size of tennis balls.
- Repeat steps 6-7.
- Remove balls from pantyhose and use in the dryer in place of dryer sheets.
- They Put Cameras Inside A School Cafeteria In Japan. What They Captured? My Jaw Dropped!
Food education is often neglected in today’s society. Yet, it’s one of the most fundamental basics of everyday life. How you …
- Avoid Fleas and Ticks Forever With This Natural Remedy!
Every pet owner knows how annoying fleas can be. These minuscule insects can multiply in days and easily infest your …
- How To Add More Nutrients To Any Soil To Grow The Most Nutritious Fruits And Veggies Possible
In times past, not a lot of thought was given to the food we eat. We’d go to the grocery …
- E-Cigarettes Are 95% Less Harmful Than Regular Cigarettes But They Still Contain Harmful Carcinogens
E-cigarettes, while less toxic than they’re non-electronic counterparts, are not nearly as harmless as advertised. A recent Centers for Disease …
- Top 10 Toxins Lurking In Your Home
Most of us like to think of our homes as safe places, but there are countless toxins lurking unsuspected in …
- Why You Should Use Essential Oils Instead of Antibiotics
All too often when you go to the doctor with an illness such as a cold or the flu or …
- The Product That Should Be Hydrating Your Chapped Lips Could Be Poisoning You
Having dry lips is one of the most annoying things that seems to happen all the time. The more your …
- How to Train Your Brain To Prevent Memory Loss And Alzheimer’s Disease
Still think you can’t teach an old dog new tricks ? Turns out your brain is much more adaptable than …
- Man Diagnosed with Terminal Lung Cancer Heals Himself with Honey and Spices
Thirteen years ago, Croatian doctors told Ante Kresich that his lung cancer was beyond treatment and to get things in …
- Mothers May Need Up to One Year to Recover After Delivery
For many new mothers, the standard 6-week to 2-month recovery time allotted to most women after childbirth is insufficient. While some …
- Natural Substance Found in Ginger Destroys Leukemia Without Harming Normal Cells, Study Finds
A new study is starting to make waves around the world . Scientists have discovered that 6-Shagaol, a primary ingredient in …
- How to Use Rosemary for Treating Hair Loss
We all desire healthy and lush hair, so hair loss or progressive thinning hair can affect us quite bad. Hair …
- High Intensity Exercise Helps Curb Appetite, Study Says
In a new study published in June this year, researchers at the University of Western Australia discovered that high intensity …
- Revitalize Dry, Brittle Hair With Castor and Coconut Oil By Using Both at Once Like THIS
There’s nothing like dry air to make your hair unmanageable and frizzy. Although some people try to combat static and …
- After No Deodorant For A Year – Something Very Curious Happened To Her Body
Using deodorant and shaving are hallmarks of hygiene, but are they really necessary ? As we’ve mentioned before, long term …