It’s difficult and nearly impossible to go through winter without catching a cold.
Most people rely on Tylenol or cough medicine to get though a nasty cold, but these pharmaceuticals can do more harm than good – especially to your liver!
Luckily, there are a lot of non-toxic DYI recipes to get you back on your feet.
Some can be a little harder to stomach, so this yummy garlic soup is a great way to get your health back!
How Can Garlic Heal A Cold ?
Garlic has been used traditionally to heal the common cold. It’s actually the main ingredient of most natural cough syrup recipes. Many studies have shown that garlic can cure and prevent the common cold (1).
Garlic contains Allicin, a powerful compound that’s activated when it’s crushed. This gives garlic its antifungal, antiparasitic, antimicrobacterial, antiparisitic and antiviral properties (2).
How To Make Garlic Soup
This soup will warm you up from the inside out !
- 26 unpeeled organic garlic cloves (equivalent to 2-3 heads of garlic)
- 2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of organic, grass-fed butter (1/4 stick)
- 1/2 a teaspoon of cayenne powder
- 1/2 a cup of fresh ginger
- 2 1/4 cups of sliced onions
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 26 more cloves of peeled and crushed organic garlic cloves, set aside
- 1 and a half teaspoons of fresh chopped thyme
- 4 cups of organic vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 4 lemon wedges
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Place the 26 unpeeled cloves in a small glass baking dish and add the olive oil. If you don’t have a baking dish, you can also use tin foil to wrap the garlic and olive oil.
- Cover and bake for about 45 minutes or until the garlic is light brown.
- Allow to cool, then squeeze the garlic between your fingers to release the cloves in a small bowl.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add your onions, thyme, ginger, and cayenne powder. Cook until onions become translucent. Takes about 6 minutes.
- Add the roasted garlic and unroasted raw garlic cloves and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth.
- Cover your pot with a lid and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender until smooth.
- Put puree back in sauce pan; add coconut milk and bring to simmer.
- Season with sea salt and pepper for flavour.
- Squeeze juice of 1 lemon wedge into each bowl and serve.
This recipe can be prepared 1 day ahead and can last a few days in the fridge, but it’s always better to eat it fresh.
If you do eat it over the course of a few days, don’t microwave it! Instead, slowly reheat in a saucepan over medium heat.
- This Ravioli Recipe Combines 2 Superfoods For a Supercharged Meal Loaded With Antioxidants
The simplicity of this recipe may not be as obvious as it is; making your own pasta can sound daunting, …
- A Green Smoothie That Doesn’t Taste Like Grass!
If you’re looking for a super-clean, super-tasty start to the day when you wake up in the morning, be sure …
- Drink This Medicinal Tea To Detoxify Your Liver And Strengthen Your Immune System
Take your morning warm lemon water ritual to a new level with the anti-inflammatory and detoxing powers of ginger and …
- 10-Minute Avocado Egg Salad With Turmeric, Black Pepper And Apple Cider Vinegar
Contrary to popular belief, it’s actually safe and healthy to eat eggs (yolks included!). They’re packed with protein and disease-fighting …
- Slice Potatoes And Put Them In A Muffin Pan. They’ll Come Out Of The Oven A Family Favorite!
Potatoes are the ultimate comfort food. Easy to digest, potatoes have been a staple for people living in areas with …
- 5 Nourishing Carrot Recipes. #3 Will Make You Drool.
Many parents try telling their children that the more carrots they eat – the better they will be able to …
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- These Super Healthy Turmeric Coconut Cream Cups Are Easy To Make At Home!
If you’re looking for a way to get more superfoods into your diet. This recipe is going to be your …
- Here’s a Natural Pain Reliever Idea That Doesn’t Require Pills
Rosemary is a multifunctional herb which has been used for centuries in traditional medicines all around the world. It is …
- How to Make Your Own Homemade Green Powder
Dark, leafy greens are very important for promoting good health. Packed with vitamins and minerals all of us need, we …
- Easy And Delicious Apple Pancake Recipe
Available almost anywhere and relatively inexpensive, apples are an ideal fruit to bake with. Many pastry recipes feature apples – …
- This Smoothie Is So Good You Won’t Believe It Has One of the Most Powerful Antioxidants In The World
Smoothies are the perfect meal supplement for people looking to lose weight while still getting essential nutrients in their diet. …
- 5 Athlete-Building Beetroot Recipes
Beetroot has taken center stage since the 2013 Paralympics when athlete David Weir won four gold medals and boasted it was …
- How To Make Your Own Raw Banana And Almond Butter Ice Cream
As the weather heats up, the hunt is on for refreshing, cold snacks that are also good for you. A …
- 3-ingredient Gluten-Free Bread To Effortlessly Keep You In Fat-Burning Mode All Day Long
One of the hardest things for celiacs and gluten-intolerant people to give up is bread. In fact, gluten is a …