It’s difficult and nearly impossible to go through winter without catching a cold.
Most people rely on Tylenol or cough medicine to get though a nasty cold, but these pharmaceuticals can do more harm than good – especially to your liver!
Luckily, there are a lot of non-toxic DYI recipes to get you back on your feet.
Some can be a little harder to stomach, so this yummy garlic soup is a great way to get your health back!
How Can Garlic Heal A Cold ?
Garlic has been used traditionally to heal the common cold. It’s actually the main ingredient of most natural cough syrup recipes. Many studies have shown that garlic can cure and prevent the common cold (1).
Garlic contains Allicin, a powerful compound that’s activated when it’s crushed. This gives garlic its antifungal, antiparasitic, antimicrobacterial, antiparisitic and antiviral properties (2).
How To Make Garlic Soup
This soup will warm you up from the inside out !
- 26 unpeeled organic garlic cloves (equivalent to 2-3 heads of garlic)
- 2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of organic, grass-fed butter (1/4 stick)
- 1/2 a teaspoon of cayenne powder
- 1/2 a cup of fresh ginger
- 2 1/4 cups of sliced onions
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 26 more cloves of peeled and crushed organic garlic cloves, set aside
- 1 and a half teaspoons of fresh chopped thyme
- 4 cups of organic vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 4 lemon wedges
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Place the 26 unpeeled cloves in a small glass baking dish and add the olive oil. If you don’t have a baking dish, you can also use tin foil to wrap the garlic and olive oil.
- Cover and bake for about 45 minutes or until the garlic is light brown.
- Allow to cool, then squeeze the garlic between your fingers to release the cloves in a small bowl.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add your onions, thyme, ginger, and cayenne powder. Cook until onions become translucent. Takes about 6 minutes.
- Add the roasted garlic and unroasted raw garlic cloves and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth.
- Cover your pot with a lid and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender until smooth.
- Put puree back in sauce pan; add coconut milk and bring to simmer.
- Season with sea salt and pepper for flavour.
- Squeeze juice of 1 lemon wedge into each bowl and serve.
This recipe can be prepared 1 day ahead and can last a few days in the fridge, but it’s always better to eat it fresh.
If you do eat it over the course of a few days, don’t microwave it! Instead, slowly reheat in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Sprinkle 1 TBSP of THIS On The Stem of Your Plants And Watch What Happens!
Tending a garden is one of the most rewarding hobbies to have. Plants can be affected by many variables which cause them …
- Victory! World’s Largest Spice Company To Go Organic And Non-GMO by 2016
Organic and non-GMO products have really taken over mainstream market trends. Last year, American spice giant McCormick announced that 80% …
- 7 Tips on How to Nap Like a Pro
Countless adults are short on sleep, and naps are a great way to make up for some of those lost …
- How To Grow Your Own Pineapple At Home
Just like homemade meals always taste better than going out to the restaurant, growing your own food will always be …
- Handy Guide To Vitamins A-K
Vitamins like minerals are nutrients that are required by your body in order to function properly. A vitamin deficiency occurs …
- Every Single Hour You Spend Watching TV Reduces Your Life Expectancy by 21.8 Minutes, Study Says
Your mother probably used to yell from the kitchen, “turn off that idiot box!” What great advice, for more reasons …
- 2 Breathing Tricks To Help You De-Stress And Improve Digestion
Breathing is one of the most natural and essential acts for a living being. It’s an automatic reflex that requires …
- This Simple Snack Combines 3 Proven Foods To Fight Depression Without Any Side Effects
According to the National Institute of Health (NIH), major depression is currently one of the most common mental disorders in …
- Johnson & Johnson Loses Again, Jury Awards Woman $70m For Baby Powder Causing Her Cancer
In another high-profile case, a California woman has won 70$ million in her lawsuit against Johnson & Johnson. She claimed …
- 5 Ways To Stop Absorbing Other People’s Negative Energy
Nothing can bring you down as much as being around negative people. So how do you prevent people’s negative energy …
- The Germiest Places In Your Kitchen
You probably do a pretty decent job of keeping your kitchen clean – you scrub down the counters, rinse out …
- 8 Types of Sounds That Can Help You Sleep Better
A large percentage of Americans (seventy million of us!) have trouble sleeping; insomnia, apnea, and physical and emotional distress are …
- How to Fight Sarcopenia (Muscle Loss Due to Aging)
Sarcopenia, better known as muscle loss, is an unfortunate common condition in older adults. It’s estimated that 10% of adults …
- From Cellulite Scrub To Wasp Repellent: 10 Amazing Uses For Coffee Grounds You Never Knew Existed
If you drink coffee every day, then you probably go through a lot of coffee ground. While these little grounds might …
- 5 Easy Soaks To Rebalance Good Bacteria And Banish Stinky Feet Forever
No one likes having stinky feet. It can also be pretty embarrassing to have to take off your smelly shoes …