There are three types of label-readers: never, sometimes, and always.
When it comes to food, there has been quite a debate in recent years surrounding labelling. But what about other items that you buy in the store—like cleaning products?
Many of us have regular brands that we buy because of the price or we like the smell or because that’s what our mothers used. They do what they’re supposed to do so we don’t think twice before pulling them off the shelf. But what’s in them that makes them work?
Toxins Ratings In Laundry Detergent
According to the Environmental Working Group’s research on high efficiency laundry detergent, out of 221 different products from 55 brands, almost 80% scored “C” or lower, with almost 40% of them scoring an “F”. (1)
A larger sample of 385 general purpose laundry detergents ranked 87% at a grade of “C” or lower. (2) The scores for laundry detergent with fabric softener were even more dismal, with 90.9% of 6 brands resulting in a “C” or lower and NONE scoring an “A”. (3)
Health Risks Associated With Commercial Laundry Detergent
Looking at Tide’s list of 27 ingredients (3), there’s only 2 whose job it is to “capture soil”: citric acid (the kind found in lemons and other citrus fruit) and borax (a natural mineral). The rest are “process aids”, surfactants, enzymes, and colorant, with names 20 letters long. Hmmm.
Many of the typical ingredients in commercial laundry detergents pose allergy and respiratory risks to humans and pets.(4, 5) Others have been linked to developmental, cognitive, and reproductive hazards, cancer, and hormone disruption.
Specific ingredients glutaraldehyde and DTPA have been shown to have toxic effects, especially in children and pregnant women.(6, 7) Additionally, the ingestion by children of laundry detergent pods is on the rise, resulting in increasing numbers of emergency room visits for poison treatment.(8)
As in many cases when considering the use of commercial products, however, there are alternatives to the use of toxic chemicals in your laundry detergent: make your own with basic ingredients. It’s cheaper and safer. The following recipe calls for 2 ingredients, neither of which will kill your child or make her/him itch, sneeze, or develop cognitive disorders.
The Natural Way To Get Clean Clothes That Smell Good!
The fun part about making your own laundry detergent is that by using essential oil for fragrance and killing germs, you can choose the one(s) you like and have different scents for different items you wash (e.g., a floral for delicates and mint for linens).
The choice for essential oils is wide; some have more potent antibacterial and antifungal properties, which may be the optimal option for washing—here are a few suggestions:
- Citrus oil (e.g., lemon and orange) – antiseptic, used to treat (rather than cause) asthma, as a sleep aid, and a cancer inhibitor
- Lavender – antifungal, calming
- Peppermint – antiviral, antiseptic, antihistamine, insect repellant
Rock salt (sodium chloride) has been used for hundreds—perhaps thousands—of years for cleaning. It’s inexpensive and easy to find, a scouring and brightening agent, and is effective in removing stains.
Do It Yourself Laundry Detergent
- 1 cup rock salt
- 20 drops essential oil
- Blend essential oil with salt until well mixed.
- Use one tablespoon of this mixture per load of laundry.
- Place in washer drum and start water to dissolve before adding clothes.
- Enjoy your clean, fresh-smelling, non-toxic clothes.
- Listening To This Before Bed Will Make Your Brain Tingle And Guarantee a Good Night’s Sleep
One of the most relaxing memories of childhood is having your parents whisper soothing lullabies to ease you into sleep. …
- 6 Natural Strategies To Help Heal Gum Disease Within a Week or Less
Gingivitis is the mildest form of periodontal disease. Untreated gingivitis can advance to periodontitis, to which there are many degrees. …
- 110-Year-Old Man Reveals The 5 Foods Responsible For His Flawless Health
A man named Bernardo LaPallo is over 110 years old, although most would think he is younger. Like many living to be …
- 4 Little-Known Facts About Osteoporosis You Need To Know
According to the National Osteoporosis Foundation, roughly 54 million Americans are affected by osteoporosis and low bone mass. This isn’t …
- 6 Natural Alternatives to Over-The-Counter Painkillers (Ibuprofen)
When it comes to pain and over-the-counter painkillers, Ibuprofen often seems to be the GP’s go-to drug of choice; however …
- Medicinal Cannabis Is Slowly Replacing Several Prescription Medications
Since cannabis was legalized for medicinal and recreational purposes in the US, there has been a significant drop in opioid …
- 27-Year-Old Man Credits This Special Diet For Surviving Stage-4 Brain Cancer
There has been a ton of media and attention given to the Paleo Diet in the last year or so. …
- Remove All Toxins From The Body In 3 Days (Prevent Cancer, Excess Fat And Water Retention!)
If you’re feeling tired or sluggish, it may be time to cleanse and detox your body. Things like stress, poor …
- The Dorito Effect: How Big Food Companies Have Tricked Us into Craving the Worst Foods on Earth
You like what you eat, you eat what you like, you are what you eat. In the First World, instead …
- Toxicity and Nutrient Deficiency Cause Chronic Disease
Over the past 150 years throughout the coming of age of the industrialized world, what we eat and how we …
- Popular Over-The-Counter Pills Used For Colds, Allergies And Pain Relief Linked to Dementia
We assume that over-the-counter meds for common ailments such as allergies and sleeplessness are safe. The most popular brands of these …
- Eating This Little-Known Herb Protects Your Body From 5 Different Types Of Cancer
Moringa oleifera is a quick-growing tree in South Asia and throughout the tropics. The Ayurvedic system of medicine uses its …
- Watch How a Simple Walking Technique Can Improve Your Balance And Reduce Falls
Most of our public spaces and even our homes are well-lit and relatively easy to maneuver around. But there are …
- 5 Ways Pesticides & Herbicides Are Destroying Your Health
Consuming pesticides in your diet is just like playing Russian roulette with your health – as the reality is you …
- 4 Comfortable Sleeping Positions for Couples
Sleeping with a partner is nice. Sometimes. Other times, it can affect the healthy sleep of both people and force …