There are three types of label-readers: never, sometimes, and always.
When it comes to food, there has been quite a debate in recent years surrounding labelling. But what about other items that you buy in the store—like cleaning products?
Many of us have regular brands that we buy because of the price or we like the smell or because that’s what our mothers used. They do what they’re supposed to do so we don’t think twice before pulling them off the shelf. But what’s in them that makes them work?
Toxins Ratings In Laundry Detergent
According to the Environmental Working Group’s research on high efficiency laundry detergent, out of 221 different products from 55 brands, almost 80% scored “C” or lower, with almost 40% of them scoring an “F”. (1)
A larger sample of 385 general purpose laundry detergents ranked 87% at a grade of “C” or lower. (2) The scores for laundry detergent with fabric softener were even more dismal, with 90.9% of 6 brands resulting in a “C” or lower and NONE scoring an “A”. (3)
Health Risks Associated With Commercial Laundry Detergent
Looking at Tide’s list of 27 ingredients (3), there’s only 2 whose job it is to “capture soil”: citric acid (the kind found in lemons and other citrus fruit) and borax (a natural mineral). The rest are “process aids”, surfactants, enzymes, and colorant, with names 20 letters long. Hmmm.
Many of the typical ingredients in commercial laundry detergents pose allergy and respiratory risks to humans and pets.(4, 5) Others have been linked to developmental, cognitive, and reproductive hazards, cancer, and hormone disruption.
Specific ingredients glutaraldehyde and DTPA have been shown to have toxic effects, especially in children and pregnant women.(6, 7) Additionally, the ingestion by children of laundry detergent pods is on the rise, resulting in increasing numbers of emergency room visits for poison treatment.(8)
As in many cases when considering the use of commercial products, however, there are alternatives to the use of toxic chemicals in your laundry detergent: make your own with basic ingredients. It’s cheaper and safer. The following recipe calls for 2 ingredients, neither of which will kill your child or make her/him itch, sneeze, or develop cognitive disorders.
The Natural Way To Get Clean Clothes That Smell Good!
The fun part about making your own laundry detergent is that by using essential oil for fragrance and killing germs, you can choose the one(s) you like and have different scents for different items you wash (e.g., a floral for delicates and mint for linens).
The choice for essential oils is wide; some have more potent antibacterial and antifungal properties, which may be the optimal option for washing—here are a few suggestions:
- Citrus oil (e.g., lemon and orange) – antiseptic, used to treat (rather than cause) asthma, as a sleep aid, and a cancer inhibitor
- Lavender – antifungal, calming
- Peppermint – antiviral, antiseptic, antihistamine, insect repellant
Rock salt (sodium chloride) has been used for hundreds—perhaps thousands—of years for cleaning. It’s inexpensive and easy to find, a scouring and brightening agent, and is effective in removing stains.
Do It Yourself Laundry Detergent
- 1 cup rock salt
- 20 drops essential oil
- Blend essential oil with salt until well mixed.
- Use one tablespoon of this mixture per load of laundry.
- Place in washer drum and start water to dissolve before adding clothes.
- Enjoy your clean, fresh-smelling, non-toxic clothes.
- This Hospital Prescribes Organic Fruit & Vegetables to Patients and The Results are Remarkable
What do you expect when you go to the doctor’s office and the doctor flips out his prescription pad? More …
- 5 Lifestyle Changes That Will Help You Lose Weight
To successfully lose weight, you have to make significant lifestyle changes not only in the way you eat and exercise, …
- What Your Feet Can Reveal About Your Blood Pressure, Thyroid And Arthritis Risk
Did you know your feet can reveal almost anything you want to know about your overall health? In fact, there …
- The Leaves of Soursop Are 1000 Times Stronger at Killing Cancer Cells Than Chemotherapy
Graviola, or soursop, is a tropical fruit native to South America and the Caribbean. Known also as custard apple (THAT …
- Scientists Identify 28,000 Medicinal Plants that Treat Ailments from Cancer to Diabetes
A new study released by the Kew Royal Botanic Gardens in London, England consolidates information from countries all over the …
- This Antioxidant Is The Spark Plug That Ignites Energy Production In Every Single Cell of Your Body
With roughly 75 trillion cells making up our body, it’s important to understand that true health isn’t just about major …
- 10 Unusual Ways To Boost Brain Power
Your brain is the control centre of your body. In order to keep your mind strong, you need to stretch …
- Most Store-Bought Honey Is FAKE And Causes Inflammation! (5 Ways To Test The Purity of Your Honey)
Nobody likes to be deceived. Especially not when it comes to their health. Unfortunately, the reality is that millions of people are unknowingly …
- 10 Warning Signs That Your Heart Is Having Problems Doing Its Job
Exercise, cutting back on smoking, and becoming more fit can all help improve blood circulation. If you think this might …
- Actor Mark Ruffalo Calls Out Monsanto: “You Are Poisoning People”
What would you do if you met one of the most powerful figures of the most corrupt company on earth …
- DIY Antiseptic Turmeric Cream Recipe- Helps Heal Cuts and Scrapes
Anyone living an active lifestyle knows how valuable antiseptic ointment and bandaids can be. Young families concur: cuts and scrapes …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- Wearing a Pair of Eyeglasses Like These Could Help You Sleep Better At Night And Here’s Why
According to the CDC, insufficient sleep is a national epidemic, “linked to motor vehicle crashes, industrial disasters, and medical and …
- This 30-Minute Yoga Session Before Bed Is Going To Help You Relax And Improve Your Sleep
Having trouble sleeping? You’re not alone. More than 40% of Americans report getting less than the recommended amount of sleep.(1) And as …
- Fast Food Giant McDonald’s Is “Facing Its Final Days” And It’s Thanks To You!
McDonalds has recently announced that they will close 700 locations (1). If this a preview of what’s to come, the …