There are three types of label-readers: never, sometimes, and always.
When it comes to food, there has been quite a debate in recent years surrounding labelling. But what about other items that you buy in the store—like cleaning products?
Many of us have regular brands that we buy because of the price or we like the smell or because that’s what our mothers used. They do what they’re supposed to do so we don’t think twice before pulling them off the shelf. But what’s in them that makes them work?
Toxins Ratings In Laundry Detergent
According to the Environmental Working Group’s research on high efficiency laundry detergent, out of 221 different products from 55 brands, almost 80% scored “C” or lower, with almost 40% of them scoring an “F”. (1)
A larger sample of 385 general purpose laundry detergents ranked 87% at a grade of “C” or lower. (2) The scores for laundry detergent with fabric softener were even more dismal, with 90.9% of 6 brands resulting in a “C” or lower and NONE scoring an “A”. (3)
Health Risks Associated With Commercial Laundry Detergent
Looking at Tide’s list of 27 ingredients (3), there’s only 2 whose job it is to “capture soil”: citric acid (the kind found in lemons and other citrus fruit) and borax (a natural mineral). The rest are “process aids”, surfactants, enzymes, and colorant, with names 20 letters long. Hmmm.
Many of the typical ingredients in commercial laundry detergents pose allergy and respiratory risks to humans and pets.(4, 5) Others have been linked to developmental, cognitive, and reproductive hazards, cancer, and hormone disruption.
Specific ingredients glutaraldehyde and DTPA have been shown to have toxic effects, especially in children and pregnant women.(6, 7) Additionally, the ingestion by children of laundry detergent pods is on the rise, resulting in increasing numbers of emergency room visits for poison treatment.(8)
As in many cases when considering the use of commercial products, however, there are alternatives to the use of toxic chemicals in your laundry detergent: make your own with basic ingredients. It’s cheaper and safer. The following recipe calls for 2 ingredients, neither of which will kill your child or make her/him itch, sneeze, or develop cognitive disorders.
The Natural Way To Get Clean Clothes That Smell Good!
The fun part about making your own laundry detergent is that by using essential oil for fragrance and killing germs, you can choose the one(s) you like and have different scents for different items you wash (e.g., a floral for delicates and mint for linens).
The choice for essential oils is wide; some have more potent antibacterial and antifungal properties, which may be the optimal option for washing—here are a few suggestions:
- Citrus oil (e.g., lemon and orange) – antiseptic, used to treat (rather than cause) asthma, as a sleep aid, and a cancer inhibitor
- Lavender – antifungal, calming
- Peppermint – antiviral, antiseptic, antihistamine, insect repellant
Rock salt (sodium chloride) has been used for hundreds—perhaps thousands—of years for cleaning. It’s inexpensive and easy to find, a scouring and brightening agent, and is effective in removing stains.
Do It Yourself Laundry Detergent
- 1 cup rock salt
- 20 drops essential oil
- Blend essential oil with salt until well mixed.
- Use one tablespoon of this mixture per load of laundry.
- Place in washer drum and start water to dissolve before adding clothes.
- Enjoy your clean, fresh-smelling, non-toxic clothes.
- Unhealthy Gut Flora Increases Your Risk of Deadly Diseases such as Stroke and Diabetes
Researchers from Georgia State University have used improved technological approaches to further demonstrate the role that healthy gut flora plays …
- 11 Ways Dehydration Could Be Making You Fat And Sick
The average human body is around 70% water. By not drinking enough water we are causing a whole raft of …
- Fatigue, Vitamin Deficiencies, and Diabetes: 7 Health Problems that Your Hands are Warning You About
The eyes may be the windows to the soul but your hands may be the windows to your blood and …
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- The Real Truth: Antidepressants Actually Deplete These 3 Crucial Nutrients for the Brain
Antidepressants are one of the most prescribed medications out there. But how much do you know about the side effects …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- Here’s The Homemade Cannabis Oil Recipe That People Are Using as a Chemo Alternative
People have been increasingly becoming aware of the anti-cancer benefits of cannabis over the last few years. Many studies done …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- 10 High-Protein Vegetables You Need to Start Eating Today
Protein is the building blocks of muscles as well as bone, skin, hair, and nearly every other part of your …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- The Many Benefits of Coriander Seed Oil and How to Use It
Coriander is a savory spice used extensively in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is the seed of the cilantro …
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …