The cold and flu aren’t just unpleasant, they’re also potentially dangerous.
This is particularly true for pregnant women, people taking immunosuppressive agents and patients with serious medical conditions (1).
The easiest way to cure the condition is to boost your immune system to allow your body to fight infection naturally.
By eating the right foods, you can actually ease aches, fever, cough, runny nose, sore throat, chills, and fatigue.
Natural Cold And Flu Remedy
This simple remedy doesn’t taste that great, but if you give it a try, you’ll find out how quickly it really works. In as little as a day, you’ll feel like yourself again!
To make it even more effective (and easier to swallow), add a whole lemon, grapefruit, and orange as your onion simmers. You can even add a few sprigs of rosemary if you wish.
If you’re in a rush, here’s the bare-bones recipe:
- 1 red onion
- juice of an organic lemon
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 cups of water
- Bring the water to a boil, cut the onion into small pieces and add to the mix.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, remove from heat, and let it sit for another 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and add honey.
- Stir well and add lemon juice just before serving.
- Drink three times a day until you’re healed.
The cold is a viral infection, meaning that antibiotics are not effective in treating it (1). Luckily, honey has antiviral properties that can boost your body’s ability to fight it on its own (2,3). It also coats your throat to ease coughing and soothe sore mucous tissue (4).
Lemon is full of vitamin C, which boosts immune response. Plus, it helps clean your liver and kidneys to detoxify your body and promote healing (5). Lemon may even improve symptoms to give you some well-needed rest (6).
Lastly, onions have anti-inflammatory benefits to ease a sore throat, reduce swelling in the sinuses, and improve lung capacity (7). Red onion also acts as an expectorant, meaning to stimulate the expulsion of phlegm and mucous to get pathogens out of your system (8).
To speed up your recovery, drink plenty of fluids, eat citrus foods, keep your body temperature up, and get plenty of rest. You can also try to pour a few drop of hydrogen peroxide in each ear and irrigate your sinuses with a saline solution.
- 10 Unusual Ways To Boost Brain Power
Your brain is the control centre of your body. In order to keep your mind strong, you need to stretch …
- Top 7 Ways to Reduce Fluoride Exposure
In 1945, Grand Rapids, Michigan became the first US city to fluoridate the public water supply. The idea quickly caught …
- The Gross Truth About How Often You Should Replace Your Pillow
Few things in our homes are as intimate to us as our pillows. An uncomfortable one will ruin your sleep …
- Do These 5-Minute Morning Rituals To Supercharge Your Mind And Body
Everyone wants their day to start on a positive note. However, that’s not always possible. How do you work out a morning …
- How To Treat An Earache And Infection With Sea Salt And A Warm Sock
Often, some of the best fixes for mild illnesses, come from tried-and-true remedies that have been passed down from generation …
- 3 Important Things To Consider When You’re Washing Your Hair (How Often Is Too Much?)
How many times a week do you wash your hair? Every dermatologist and hair stylist has a different recommendation. It’s …
- Eat THESE Foods From The Mediterranean Diet To STOP Breast Cancer From Coming Back
It’s no secret that cancer is the disease of the century, but perhaps one of its most well-known and most …
- Most Store-Bought Honey Is FAKE And Causes Inflammation! (5 Ways To Test The Purity of Your Honey)
Nobody likes to be deceived. Especially not when it comes to their health. Unfortunately, the reality is that millions of people are unknowingly …
- 7 Surprising Sore Throat Remedies Hiding In Your Pantry
From air pollution that acts as an irritant to allergies and the frustrating common cold, the causes for developing a …
- 7 Cancer-Causing Products Hiding In Your Home
If you take the time to monitor what you eat and how much you exercise, it’s really important for you …
- Fatigue, Vitamin Deficiencies, and Diabetes: 7 Health Problems that Your Hands are Warning You About
The eyes may be the windows to the soul but your hands may be the windows to your blood and …
- Dove’s ‘Real’ Beauty Products Are Filled With Cancer-Causing Chemicals, Fake Dyes and Toxic Fragrance
In one sense the marketing gurus of Dove beauty and skin care products hit the nail on the head. They …
- Want To Harvest Organic Potatoes In Your Own Backyard In Just 35 Days? Here’s How!
Potatoes are one of the easiest crops to grow. Even the most inhospitable soils will gladly incubate a potato or two, …
- The 5 Best and 5 Worst Foods For Sleep
For many, the secret to getting a good night’s sleep comes down to two things–stress and diet. It’s important to …
- Winter Blues Getting The Best of You? Here’s Why
Researchers say Vitamin D deficiency could be partly responsible for the winter blues. According to the IBTimes, the findings, based …