The cold and flu aren’t just unpleasant, they’re also potentially dangerous.
This is particularly true for pregnant women, people taking immunosuppressive agents and patients with serious medical conditions (1).
The easiest way to cure the condition is to boost your immune system to allow your body to fight infection naturally.
By eating the right foods, you can actually ease aches, fever, cough, runny nose, sore throat, chills, and fatigue.
Natural Cold And Flu Remedy
This simple remedy doesn’t taste that great, but if you give it a try, you’ll find out how quickly it really works. In as little as a day, you’ll feel like yourself again!
To make it even more effective (and easier to swallow), add a whole lemon, grapefruit, and orange as your onion simmers. You can even add a few sprigs of rosemary if you wish.
If you’re in a rush, here’s the bare-bones recipe:
- 1 red onion
- juice of an organic lemon
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 cups of water
- Bring the water to a boil, cut the onion into small pieces and add to the mix.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, remove from heat, and let it sit for another 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and add honey.
- Stir well and add lemon juice just before serving.
- Drink three times a day until you’re healed.
The cold is a viral infection, meaning that antibiotics are not effective in treating it (1). Luckily, honey has antiviral properties that can boost your body’s ability to fight it on its own (2,3). It also coats your throat to ease coughing and soothe sore mucous tissue (4).
Lemon is full of vitamin C, which boosts immune response. Plus, it helps clean your liver and kidneys to detoxify your body and promote healing (5). Lemon may even improve symptoms to give you some well-needed rest (6).
Lastly, onions have anti-inflammatory benefits to ease a sore throat, reduce swelling in the sinuses, and improve lung capacity (7). Red onion also acts as an expectorant, meaning to stimulate the expulsion of phlegm and mucous to get pathogens out of your system (8).
To speed up your recovery, drink plenty of fluids, eat citrus foods, keep your body temperature up, and get plenty of rest. You can also try to pour a few drop of hydrogen peroxide in each ear and irrigate your sinuses with a saline solution.
- 11 Ways Dehydration Could Be Making You Fat And Sick
The average human body is around 70% water. By not drinking enough water we are causing a whole raft of …
- Fatigue, Vitamin Deficiencies, and Diabetes: 7 Health Problems that Your Hands are Warning You About
The eyes may be the windows to the soul but your hands may be the windows to your blood and …
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- How To Use Himalayan Salt Lamps For Better Air, Sleep And Mental Clarity
Himalayan crystal salt is the purest salt available on earth. Hence why it is used a lot for salt lamps. …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- Here’s The Homemade Cannabis Oil Recipe That People Are Using as a Chemo Alternative
People have been increasingly becoming aware of the anti-cancer benefits of cannabis over the last few years. Many studies done …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- 10 High-Protein Vegetables You Need to Start Eating Today
Protein is the building blocks of muscles as well as bone, skin, hair, and nearly every other part of your …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- The Many Benefits of Coriander Seed Oil and How to Use It
Coriander is a savory spice used extensively in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is the seed of the cilantro …
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …
- Teen Invents Bra That Can Save Millions After Mom Nearly Dies Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the main health concerns that women face in this day and age. For many, learning of …