You’ve probably heard a lot about how carrots are good for your eyes, but you’ve probably never heard that they also make a cough remedy. Yes, carrots are a great ingredient that removes phlegm when combined with other ingredients (as shown below).
Carrot soup has long been a folk remedy for the cold and flu, but if you’re in a rush, you can also enjoy the vegetable as a cough syrup.
Most cough syrups contain artificial color, artificial flavor and preservatives. This toxin-free remedy works just as well and taste better than any cherry-flavored syrup.
Carrots are nutrient-dense, containing vitamins A, C, and K as well as high levels of potassium (1).
Experts have long known that vitamin A plays a role in infection and maintaining mucosal surfaces (like your lungs) by influencing certain subcategories of T cells and B cells and cytokines (2) .
Vitamin C had a reputation for boosting the immune system.
Mix in a little honey for antiviral and antibacterial properties (3). Honey will also coat the throat, making your sore throat less sore and more easy to manage (4).
Adding a bit of ginger will also help reduce inflammation and ease the pain.
Carrot Cough Syrup
It’s actually quite sweet and easy to stomach!
- 1/2 kg of carrot
- 3-4 tablespoons of honey
- 2 teaspoon of freshly chopped ginger
- Cut the carrots into small pieces and place into a small saucepan and add water until they are completely covered.
- Cook over medium heat.
- Once it’s boiling, add the ginger and boil until the carrots are soft.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl, do not throw away the water.
- Blend the carrots and ginger until smooth.
- When the water is lukewarm, add honey and stir until it’s dissolved.
- Add water to the mashed carrots and blend again until smooth.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
How To Use
Take 3-4 spoons of the syrup every day until you no longer experience coughing. The syrup should help move out phlegm form your lungs after a day or two of regular use.
- Pack In Protein With These Chickpea Recipes
Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are a super versatile, low fat, and high fiber protein source rich in important minerals like phosphorus …
- How To Make Turmeric Tea That’s Both Delicious And Healthy
If you are taking ibuprofen tablets (Advil, Motrin, Nuprin & Nurofen) for everything ranging from headache, backache and other muscular aches …
- How To Make a Simple Remineralizing Toothpaste At Home
With so many commercially available toothpastes on the market, why make your own? Aside from the satisfaction of knowing exactly …
- Drink This 2-Ingredient Beverage If You’re Concerned About Your Cholesterol Levels
This drink is loaded with natural antioxidants, as well as nutrients which naturally help lower LDL, or “bad” cholesterol levels. …
- This Smoothie Is So Good You Won’t Believe It Has One of the Most Powerful Antioxidants In The World
Smoothies are the perfect meal supplement for people looking to lose weight while still getting essential nutrients in their diet. …
- This Aloe Vera Smoothie Is a Natural Anti-Inflammatory With Over 200 Active Enzymes!
Aloe vera has an intimidating appearance, but it is full of beneficial nutrients – containing at least 20 minerals, 12 …
- Anti-inflammatory Honey Turmeric Tonic Recipe And 17 Other Master Tonics
If you often find yourself tired or sick, it may be time to start integrating a master tonic or two …
- Drink This Fat-Burning Ginger And Coconut Oil Smoothie to ACCELERATE Weight Loss
Whether it’s getting warmer or colder, it seems like each change in season wakes up a ravenous hunger. This can …
- 10 Recipes That Prove Being Vegan Doesn’t Have to Suck
Vegans and vegetarians have to be more cautious in ensuring that they meet their daily nutritional needs. The same could …
- 27 Turmeric Recipes That Will Spice Up Your Life
Turmeric is the superfood that makes our cooking dazzle. But it does ever so much more than simply flavor and color our food. Cooking …
- 3-ingredient Gluten-Free Bread To Effortlessly Keep You In Fat-Burning Mode All Day Long
One of the hardest things for celiacs and gluten-intolerant people to give up is bread. In fact, gluten is a …
- 4-Ingredient Recipe Will Supercharge Your Immune System Like No Other
One criticism often received by recipes involving cooked onions, garlic and other alliums is that the heating process destroys much …
- This Spiced Coffee Recipe Is a Complete Meal All On Its Own And Will Last You a Week
Many people rely on caffeine to get them going in the morning, and while there’s nothing wrong with that, coffee …
- It Was Hard To Snack Healthy Until I Tried These 16 Delicious Metabolism-Boosting Ideas
The foods you eat between meals are just as important. Snack on the wrong foods and your health will suffer. …
- This is The Easiest, Simplest Way to Make a Healthy Delicious Snack.
This snack idea came from a photo shoot, let me explain. Every photo shoot is catered whether it is in …