You’ve probably heard a lot about how carrots are good for your eyes, but you’ve probably never heard that they also make a cough remedy. Yes, carrots are a great ingredient that removes phlegm when combined with other ingredients (as shown below).
Carrot soup has long been a folk remedy for the cold and flu, but if you’re in a rush, you can also enjoy the vegetable as a cough syrup.
Most cough syrups contain artificial color, artificial flavor and preservatives. This toxin-free remedy works just as well and taste better than any cherry-flavored syrup.
Carrots are nutrient-dense, containing vitamins A, C, and K as well as high levels of potassium (1).
Experts have long known that vitamin A plays a role in infection and maintaining mucosal surfaces (like your lungs) by influencing certain subcategories of T cells and B cells and cytokines (2) .
Vitamin C had a reputation for boosting the immune system.
Mix in a little honey for antiviral and antibacterial properties (3). Honey will also coat the throat, making your sore throat less sore and more easy to manage (4).
Adding a bit of ginger will also help reduce inflammation and ease the pain.
Carrot Cough Syrup
It’s actually quite sweet and easy to stomach!
- 1/2 kg of carrot
- 3-4 tablespoons of honey
- 2 teaspoon of freshly chopped ginger
- Cut the carrots into small pieces and place into a small saucepan and add water until they are completely covered.
- Cook over medium heat.
- Once it’s boiling, add the ginger and boil until the carrots are soft.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl, do not throw away the water.
- Blend the carrots and ginger until smooth.
- When the water is lukewarm, add honey and stir until it’s dissolved.
- Add water to the mashed carrots and blend again until smooth.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
How To Use
Take 3-4 spoons of the syrup every day until you no longer experience coughing. The syrup should help move out phlegm form your lungs after a day or two of regular use.
- Easy To Make Lemon Lavender Pancakes (With Coconut Flour and Homemade Almond Milk)
Pancakes are the ultimate all-American breakfast food. While there are many amazing toppings you can try to take your pancake …
- Drink This Fat-Burning Ginger And Coconut Oil Smoothie to ACCELERATE Weight Loss
Whether it’s getting warmer or colder, it seems like each change in season wakes up a ravenous hunger. This can …
- How to Make Medicinal Pickled Turmeric
This recipe for pickled turmeric promises to reduce inflammation & promote wellness. But before we begin, let’s take a quick …
- 34 Gluten-Free Crockpot Recipes You’ll Love
Using a crockpot for cooking is a convenient way to prepare your own healthy meals. This is especially true for …
- How To Make a Simple Remineralizing Toothpaste At Home
With so many commercially available toothpastes on the market, why make your own? Aside from the satisfaction of knowing exactly …
- Chocolate Treats Without the Guilt
Chocolate is a guilty obsession for millions of people. But what if you could have your chocolate without the remorse? …
- 5 Energy-Boosting Chia Seed Recipes
Chia seeds contain more plant-based omega-3 fatty acids than flax seeds, and have also been traditionally used as a source …
- 5 Mouth-Watering Apple Recipes
No need to over-complicate things when searching for that healthy snack in the supermarket when an apple can provide you …
- Everyone’s Favorite Antioxidant Source: 6 Blueberry Recipes
Blueberry season is right around the corner, and that means that everyone’s favorite antioxidant source is back. With wild blueberries …
- This Powerful Tea Is The Best Remedy For Swollen Legs
If you have ever experienced swelling in your legs (or your hands or feet for that matter) you know how …
- Researchers Come Across Very “Appealing” Juice…What it Does to Your Blood Pressure is Astounding!
Are you looking to replace blood pressure-lowering drugs with natural, diet-based solutions? Complimenting past findings, recent research reveals that drinking …
- No-Flour Banana Pancakes Are Easy To Make And Rich In Potassium
Who doesn’t love pancakes? They’re sweet, fluffy and simply delicious! They can be combined with all sorts of fruits and …
- Cauliflower With Turmeric Makes For a Powerful Anti-Inflammatory And Anti-Cancer Snack
Cauliflower and turmeric are two superfoods that can be served as a hearty replacement for rice and pasta. Better still, the recipe …
- Slice Potatoes And Put Them In A Muffin Pan. They’ll Come Out Of The Oven A Family Favorite!
Potatoes are the ultimate comfort food. Easy to digest, potatoes have been a staple for people living in areas with …
- Drink This Ancient Detox Tea To Cleanse The Liver, Boost Memory and Reduce Muscle Pain
There’s no shortage of recipes for detoxifying teas and other beverages, but unlike many, this recipe has withstood the test …