You’ve probably heard a lot about how carrots are good for your eyes, but you’ve probably never heard that they also make a cough remedy. Yes, carrots are a great ingredient that removes phlegm when combined with other ingredients (as shown below).
Carrot soup has long been a folk remedy for the cold and flu, but if you’re in a rush, you can also enjoy the vegetable as a cough syrup.
Most cough syrups contain artificial color, artificial flavor and preservatives. This toxin-free remedy works just as well and taste better than any cherry-flavored syrup.
Carrots are nutrient-dense, containing vitamins A, C, and K as well as high levels of potassium (1).
Experts have long known that vitamin A plays a role in infection and maintaining mucosal surfaces (like your lungs) by influencing certain subcategories of T cells and B cells and cytokines (2) .
Vitamin C had a reputation for boosting the immune system.
Mix in a little honey for antiviral and antibacterial properties (3). Honey will also coat the throat, making your sore throat less sore and more easy to manage (4).
Adding a bit of ginger will also help reduce inflammation and ease the pain.
Carrot Cough Syrup
It’s actually quite sweet and easy to stomach!
- 1/2 kg of carrot
- 3-4 tablespoons of honey
- 2 teaspoon of freshly chopped ginger
- Cut the carrots into small pieces and place into a small saucepan and add water until they are completely covered.
- Cook over medium heat.
- Once it’s boiling, add the ginger and boil until the carrots are soft.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl, do not throw away the water.
- Blend the carrots and ginger until smooth.
- When the water is lukewarm, add honey and stir until it’s dissolved.
- Add water to the mashed carrots and blend again until smooth.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
How To Use
Take 3-4 spoons of the syrup every day until you no longer experience coughing. The syrup should help move out phlegm form your lungs after a day or two of regular use.
- 10-Minute Avocado Egg Salad With Turmeric, Black Pepper And Apple Cider Vinegar
Contrary to popular belief, it’s actually safe and healthy to eat eggs (yolks included!). They’re packed with protein and disease-fighting …
- Make This Delicious And Easy Vegan Whipped Cream Recipe Using ONLY 3 Ingredients
If you’re lactose intolerant or simply prefer vegan recipes, you’ll love this! This vegan whipped cream is unlike anything you’ve …
- It Was Hard To Snack Healthy Until I Tried These 16 Delicious Metabolism-Boosting Ideas
The foods you eat between meals are just as important. Snack on the wrong foods and your health will suffer. …
- 5 Mouth-Watering Apple Recipes
No need to over-complicate things when searching for that healthy snack in the supermarket when an apple can provide you …
- Infuse Your Honey With Ginger In 20 Minutes For A Quick Immune System Boost
With winter just around the corner, most people are dreading the advent of cold season. Aside from staying warm and …
- Drink This Homemade Syrup To Help Loosen Up Chest Phlegm and Expel It Out of Your Body
The worst part of a bad chest cold is probably the feeling of congestion you get in your chest, and …
- This Powerful Tea Is The Best Remedy For Swollen Legs
If you have ever experienced swelling in your legs (or your hands or feet for that matter) you know how …
- Garlic Soup Made With 52 Cloves of Garlic Can Defeat Colds, Flu And Even Norovirus
It’s difficult and nearly impossible to go through winter without catching a cold. Most people rely on Tylenol or cough medicine to …
- These Super Healthy Turmeric Coconut Cream Cups Are Easy To Make At Home!
If you’re looking for a way to get more superfoods into your diet. This recipe is going to be your …
- This Lifesaving Ancient Cold and Flu Remedy is so Effective Even Hippocrates Would Recommend It!
Trying to navigate your way through the flu season can be quite the challenge. Especially, if you’re taking public transit. And …
- Cauliflower With Turmeric Makes For a Powerful Anti-Inflammatory And Anti-Cancer Snack
Cauliflower and turmeric are two superfoods that can be served as a hearty replacement for rice and pasta. Better still, the recipe …
- How To Make A Metabolism Boosting Spice Blend
There are a number of herbs and spices that have metabolism boosting properties – and this unique blend includes some …
- How To Make Homemade Matcha Marshmallows
There are plenty of reasons to avoid artificial food dyes. Studies have linked them to behavioral problems in children, including …
- How to Make Your Own Homemade Green Powder
Dark, leafy greens are very important for promoting good health. Packed with vitamins and minerals all of us need, we …
- Drink This 2-Ingredient Beverage If You’re Concerned About Your Cholesterol Levels
This drink is loaded with natural antioxidants, as well as nutrients which naturally help lower LDL, or “bad” cholesterol levels. …