Cold and flu season is unavoidable and most people get infected at least once before spring comes around. In fact, colds are the #1 reason for missed work or school (1).
Colds are contagious during the first two to three days, so it’s best to rest and avoid contact with the public. Because it is a viral infection, antibiotics are not effective in treating a cold.(2)
As for the flu, it’s best to treat the illness with fluids and rest (3). Drinking hot teas and taking steam baths can help loosen up phlegm and relieve throat pain.
Here are just a few go-to teas that will quickly help you recover from the common cold:
1. Hot Pineapple Tea
- ½ – 1 cup pineapple juice
• ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 1 pinch cayenne pepper
• 1 tsp honey
- Combine all ingredients except honey in a saucer and heat to desired temperature (do not boil!).
- Pour in a glass and add honey.
• Pineapple juice helps loosen up phlegm and soothe inflammation in the throat and respiratory system (4).
• Viruses, bad bacteria and diseases are all said to thrive is an acidic environment.When it comes to your body, acidity is generally caused by stress, poor diet and lack of exercise. Apple cider vinegar is said to help alkalize the body and prevent infection.
• To fight inflammation and nausea, a bit of cayenne pepper does the trick!
• Honey is a well-known antiviral (5) sweetener which coats the throat to relieve pain caused by excessive coughing.
2. Wellness Elixir
- 1 lemon
• 1-inch piece of ginger
• 1-2 dashes of cayenne pepper
• 1 dash of turmeric powder
• 1 drop of organic mint extract
• 1-2 drops stevia (you can use honey here as well)
- Juice or blend the lemon and ginger, then add the cayenne pepper, turmeric and mint. Stir. Add equal amounts of hot water to the mix.
• Lemon helps to detoxify your liver and kidneys as well as boost your immune system by providing a rush of vitamin c (6).
• Inhaling ginger is said to help liquefy sticky mucus in the lungs clear our sinuses. In addition, drinking it can also help ease your throat, relieve headaches and prevent nausea (7).
• Curcumin, found in turmeric has potent anti-inflammatory properties that reduce swelling in the throat, sinuses and lungs (8).
• The menthol, a compound in mint, is a natural decongestant that relieves your lungs and sinuses.
3. The Ultimate Cold Buster
- 1 tsp lemon juice
• ½ tsp finely grated ginger
• ¼ tsp ground turmeric
• ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
• ½ tsp raw honey
• 1 pinch cinnamon
- Boil 1 cup of water.
- Add in all ingredients except honey and stir.
- Pour in a cup and let it cool down a bit and then add the honey.
• Like honey, cinnamon is antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial (9). This gives the immune system an extra boost to cure you quicker and more effectively.
A big part of recovering from the cold or flu is to take the time to rest, stay hydrated and eat nutrient-dense foods. You’ll feel like yourself in no time!
- Grease Your Joints With These 5 Powerful Herbs (Kick Arthritis To The Curb!)
In pain? You’re not alone. There are so many ailments that can cause achy, stiff joints. While many people find help from …
- Detox Your Liver by Juicing These 5 Foods
Your first line of defence against toxins is your liver! Cleansing the liver helps it produce better, more efficient bile, which …
- This Native American Tea Cures Cancer And This Is How You Make It…
As you’ve probably noticed, conventional medicine is finally catching up to the methods traditional medicine has been using for millennia. …
- Video Shows How Green Tea Consumption Can STOP Healthy Cells From Turning Malignant
The health benefits of tea stretch across the spectrum — green, black or white all promise to fight free radicals and hydrate …
- 8 Remedies For Sciatica Pain You NEED to Try Before Putting Another Painkiller in Your Mouth
The sciatic nerve is the longest in the body, running from each side of the lower spine through the buttock, …
- All The Signs, Symptoms, Triggers and Treatments of Hypo and Hyperthyroidism
According to the American Thyroid Association, an estimated 20 million Americans have some form of thyroid disease. Up to 60 …
- Top 16 Drugs That Cause Kidney Damage: Please Share For Awareness
Your kidneys are essentially your blood’s filtration system. This means that any toxins that are in your blood eventually finds …
- You Can Fight And Cure Arthritis With These Natural Herbs And Oils
Arthritis consists of more than 100 different conditions, including mild forms of tendinitis and bursitis as well as crippling rheumatoid …
- This Sleeping Position Helps Your Brain Flush Out Toxins More Efficiently
Most of us don’t think much about the way we sleep. Whether we sleep on our back, side, stomach, or …
- 7 Natural Ways to Relieve Your Neck Pain
There are some ailments that you wouldn’t wish on your worst enemy – neck pain being one of them. Neck …
- Healthy 9-Year-Old Boy Has Major Stroke…Here Are The Signs To Watch Out For!
May is National Stroke Awareness Month, and one Texas family wants to raise awareness that strokes can happen to anyone, …
- Two Cans of Soda Drink a Day May Hurt Kidneys, Study Suggests
A study carried out on employees at a University in Japan has found that those who drank two or more …
- Spearmint and Rosemary Extracts Improve Memory
Rosemary for remembrance – at least that’s what the Victorian language of flowers says. Now a small study has added weight …
- Increasing Vegetable Protein Intake Could Help Kidney Disease Patients, Study Suggests
A new study has suggested that people living with kidney disease who eat more vegetable protein rather than animal protein …
- Study: Turmeric more Effective than Prozac at Treating Depression
It’s common knowledge in the natural health world that pharmaceuticals often (if not always) do more harm than good. It’s …