Cold and flu season is unavoidable and most people get infected at least once before spring comes around. In fact, colds are the #1 reason for missed work or school (1).
Colds are contagious during the first two to three days, so it’s best to rest and avoid contact with the public. Because it is a viral infection, antibiotics are not effective in treating a cold.(2)
As for the flu, it’s best to treat the illness with fluids and rest (3). Drinking hot teas and taking steam baths can help loosen up phlegm and relieve throat pain.
Here are just a few go-to teas that will quickly help you recover from the common cold:
1. Hot Pineapple Tea
- ½ – 1 cup pineapple juice
• ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 1 pinch cayenne pepper
• 1 tsp honey
- Combine all ingredients except honey in a saucer and heat to desired temperature (do not boil!).
- Pour in a glass and add honey.
• Pineapple juice helps loosen up phlegm and soothe inflammation in the throat and respiratory system (4).
• Viruses, bad bacteria and diseases are all said to thrive is an acidic environment.When it comes to your body, acidity is generally caused by stress, poor diet and lack of exercise. Apple cider vinegar is said to help alkalize the body and prevent infection.
• To fight inflammation and nausea, a bit of cayenne pepper does the trick!
• Honey is a well-known antiviral (5) sweetener which coats the throat to relieve pain caused by excessive coughing.
2. Wellness Elixir
- 1 lemon
• 1-inch piece of ginger
• 1-2 dashes of cayenne pepper
• 1 dash of turmeric powder
• 1 drop of organic mint extract
• 1-2 drops stevia (you can use honey here as well)
- Juice or blend the lemon and ginger, then add the cayenne pepper, turmeric and mint. Stir. Add equal amounts of hot water to the mix.
• Lemon helps to detoxify your liver and kidneys as well as boost your immune system by providing a rush of vitamin c (6).
• Inhaling ginger is said to help liquefy sticky mucus in the lungs clear our sinuses. In addition, drinking it can also help ease your throat, relieve headaches and prevent nausea (7).
• Curcumin, found in turmeric has potent anti-inflammatory properties that reduce swelling in the throat, sinuses and lungs (8).
• The menthol, a compound in mint, is a natural decongestant that relieves your lungs and sinuses.
3. The Ultimate Cold Buster
- 1 tsp lemon juice
• ½ tsp finely grated ginger
• ¼ tsp ground turmeric
• ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
• ½ tsp raw honey
• 1 pinch cinnamon
- Boil 1 cup of water.
- Add in all ingredients except honey and stir.
- Pour in a cup and let it cool down a bit and then add the honey.
• Like honey, cinnamon is antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial (9). This gives the immune system an extra boost to cure you quicker and more effectively.
A big part of recovering from the cold or flu is to take the time to rest, stay hydrated and eat nutrient-dense foods. You’ll feel like yourself in no time!
- The Link Between Alcohol And Cancer Can No Longer Be Denied (It Causes SEVEN Types of Cancer!)
Your daily glass of beer or wine may not be so innocent after all. Recent research has found a link …
- 4 Nutrition Tips for Better Sleep
When you’re tossing and turning at night, dreaming about the possibility of real sleep, probably the last thing to cross …
- Medicine in a Cup: This Ginger-Garlic Soup Fights the Cold, Flu and Sinus Infection
Soup is the ultimate food for the soul. When it comes to the cold and flu, staying hydrated and nourished …
- Controversial Oxygen Therapy “Reverses Brain Damage” In Drowned Toddler
Every cell of your body needs oxygen to live. If deprived, it will die. If too many cells die at …
- 5 Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Sinus Infection
By now, you probably already know that Apple Cider Vinegar is a true lifesaver. Whether it be used to flavor …
- The Smell of Sleep: How to Use Aromatherapy At Bedtime
Although the idea of using aromatherapy might seem a little off base, research has started to support the concept in …
- The Connection Between Stress and Oral Health
There has been an outpouring of information on the relationship between stress and health, but a frequently ignored result of …
- This Spice Helps Protect Your Brain From Fluoride Poisoning
Fluoride is found in so many places that is it nearly impossible to avoid it. It can be found in …
- This Syrup Will Stop a Cough Dead in its Tracks – Ginger Thyme Cough Syrup
Finding the best cough syrup for adults and/or children isn’t easy. But it’s well worth the effort since coughs often …
- Put Ice On This Meridian Point To Get Rid of Headaches In Just 15 Minutes
Individuals and practitioners alike have been investigating the implementation of the Chinese Meridian System. It has been the custom of …
- How to Clear Your Sinuses With Your Tongue And Your Thumb in 20 Seconds
Congestion is caused by the inflammation of the lining of your sinus cavities. This inflammation can be painful and uncomfortable, …
- Dental Fillings Containing Mercury Now Banned in European Union
A landmark provisional agreement has been approved by the three governing institutions of the European Union (EU) to ban amalgam …
- MRI Brain Scans Show That Probiotics Can Improve Symptoms Of Depression
A recent study performed at McMaster University may lead to large scale trials aimed at confirming the connection between gut …
- Simple Trick Helps You Temporarily See Better When You Drop Your Glasses Or Lose a Contact Lens…
Many people experience vision problems – in the Netherlands, for example, more than 6 in 10 people wear glasses or …
- 8 Natural Alternatives to Replace Antibiotics Whenever Possible
The overuse of antibiotics has become a modern-day epidemic. These drugs have depleted our natural immunity by killing the good bacteria in our guts …