Love makes you weak in the knees but it doesn’t hurt.
Many people suffer from knee pain—it’s estimated that by age 85, half the population of the U.S. will experience a knee condition.
If you are overweight or obese, that percentage rises to 66%. Lower extremity joints take a beating, supporting every standing movement.
Regardless of the cause of your knee trouble—whether due to athletic injury, osteoarthritis, or over-taxation—easing pain may be all you can think about.
Below is a video with a simple stretch to help.
When it comes to joint health, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Keeping surrounding muscles strong will reduce joint stress.
- Maintaining a healthy weight will prevent excess strain.
- Sitting for long periods of time causes joints to lose mobility and generates pain; if you have to sit at your job, make sure you get up every 10 minutes or so—movement is crucial! The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety provides some stretches you can do at your desk here.
- Nutrition is important for joint health. Magnesium, calcium, and vitamin D are the nutrient trio responsible for bone health—make sure you get enough through foods you eat.
- If your knees hurt, stay away from vigorous exercise that will exacerbate the problem—“no pain, no gain” doesn’t apply here. Simple walking or pool aerobics will maintain mobility until you can comfortably do more.
- Be very careful stretching cold muscles—you can do more harm than good. If stretching as exercise to reduce pain, increase mobility, and promote blood flow, ease into it with slow movements. Warming up first is best if you can: a brisk 10-minute walk during a work break and followed by stretching will strengthen and invigorate. You can find additional exercises here.
Topical Treatments for Knee Pain
- Epsom salt is rich in magnesium – applying directly to a sore joint allows the skin to absorb this important mineral, reducing inflammation and easing pain. A whole Epsom bath makes everything feel better—magnesium is a calming mineral because it promotes the production of serotonin, a pleasure hormone. Dissolve 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt in ½ a cup of water. Soak a cotton cloth with the mixture and place on the joint for 20 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
- Ginger is a potent natural anti-inflammatory. A recipe for a ginger compress can be found here.
- Lemon peels can reduce swelling and promote blood flow. Grate a lemon rind, squeeze the bits together, apply to the knee, and cover with gauze for 2 hours for rapid relief.
- Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to joint pain. (1) Go outside in the sunshine for 20 minutes a day (without sunscreen, which prevents the skin from absorbing vitamin D) to get your recommended daily value of this essential vitamin.
- Coconut oil is a nutritious anti-inflammatory. Warm a teaspoon of solid coconut oil between your hands and rub your knees, first clockwise, then counter-clockwise for 10-15 minutes.
- Cayenne contains an anti-oxidant that inhibits pain transmitters. Arnica loosens joint for greater mobility. A double whammy when put together, a recipe for cayenne-arnica balm can be found here to reduce pain and inflammation.
Foods for Knee Pain
- Gelatin contains collagen, a component of bones and connective tissue. Increasing collagen can reduce pain and enhance mobility. Plain gelatin—not the sugar-filled popular brand—can be added to yogurt, a smoothie, or flavored with fruit juice, honey, or herbs and spices. Eaten regularly, gelatin is good for the knees.
- Herbs: boswellia, evening primrose, and stinging nettle reduce inflammation and pain.
- Spices: turmeric, cayenne, ginger, and cinnamon are potent anti-inflammatories.
- Vitamin D: few foods contain it and you’re better off not eating those enriched with the synthetic version—it doesn’t get used like the real stuff. Fatty fish like sardines, tuna, wild salmon, and mackerel; organic orange juice; mushrooms; and eggs are good sources.
Keep moving, eat well, get enough sleep, and maintain a healthy weight—the best prescription for preventing and alleviating knee pain.
- This Exercise Is More Efficient Than 1000 Crunches
Although everyone has different problem spots, one of the most common areas for excess fat is the belly. And everyone …
- The Best Exercises to Get Rid of Double Chin Fat & Neck Fat
Nobody likes having a double chin! Unlike other demanding exercise, you can learn how to get rid of a double …
- One Simple Exercise To Help Strengthen The Core and Lower Body
Okay, today you’re going to learn how to reverse plank. One of the first places you gain weight is typically …
- 5 Foot Exercises To Relieve Back, Hip, And Knee Pain In 20 Minutes or Less
Your feet are a lot more important than you think. In fact, muscle weakness in your feet can cause hip, …
- 7 Simple Exercises That Will Transform Your Body in Just Four Weeks
Staying fit is a lifelong commitment to eating healthy and being active. When you have a busy lifestyle, nothing is …
- 6 Stretches You Should Do Before Getting Out Of Bed To Feel Great All Day
Ever wondered if morning stretches really make a difference? Hopping straight out of bed isn’t a great habit to have. …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- 6 Stretches You Can Do in 6 Minutes to Stop Your Knees From Cracking and Popping
Are you hearing popping and cracking noises every time you bend your knees? Chances are, your muscles and connective tissues …
- 10 Week No-Gym Home Workout Plan
Losing weight can seem daunting when you’ve struggled with maintaining your weight for a long time. Part of the struggle …
- 5 Exercises to Undo the Spinal Damage Caused by a Lifetime of Sitting
Many of us have no choice but to sit at a desk of most of the day. There are options …
- Loosen Up with These 12 Hip Flexor Stretches
With the amount of sitting most of us have to do on a daily basis, it’s common for hip and …
- How To Correct Anterior Pelvic Tilt With These 13 Stretches
We don’t really think about how we stand and walk—it’s just how it’s done, right? Poor posture, however, can cause …
- How To Get a Deep Piriformis Stretch With These 12 Exercises
Lower back pain is very common and can be the result of a variety of causes. One of these isn’t …
- 3 Stretches That Un-Slouch Your Back (And 9 Other Posture Tricks!)
Growing up you’ve probably been told by your parents not to slouch. And for good reasons! Posture technically refers to …
- 40 Easy Home Exercises For Every Part Of Your Body
It’s important to love your body, but it’s also important to take care of it. So why not learn about …