Many health-savvy consumers are starting to avoid skincare products that contain petroleum, which goes into many commercial skincare products as a base. Petroleum has been linked to cancer in at least one study(1), although other studies claim that in small enough amounts – for example, the amounts that are typically contained in beauty products – it is not carcinogenic(2).
Regardless, it’s easy to see why many people are opting for petroleum-free skin products when given the option. While petroleum is often found in topical analgesic creams – the kind used for easing sore muscles after intense workouts, and relieving joint pain associated with inflammation – there is a natural alternative.
Coconut-oil based skin products are experiencing something of a heyday, due to the moisturizing and nourishing effects that coconut oil has on the skin. Try this recipe as a replacement for petroleum-based analgesic creams.
Pain-Relieving Salve Recipe
- 2 cups coconut oil
- 6 ounces died arnica montana flowers
- 3-6 tbsp cayenne powder
- 1/2 beeswax granules
1. Grind up the arnica flowers with a mortar and pestle, or using a food processor.
2. Place the dried, ground-up arnica into a double boiler or crock pot.
3. Add the cayenne powder to the arnica flowers.
4. Pour the coconut oil over the herbs and ensure that all the flowers are submerged in the oil.
5. Cover the mixture and let it sit over low heat for twelve to twenty-four hours, stirring occasionally. Once it has steeped, turn off the crock pot or double boiler and let the mixture cool – but not completely, or the coconut oil may solidify. The mixture should be warm enough to touch but not hot enough to burn you.
6. Place a cheesecloth over a bowl or jar and carefully pour the coconut oil into the cheesecloth, letting the cheesecloth strain out the herbs. Turn the heat back on and add the coconut oil back to the double boiler or crock pot.
7. Add the beeswax and whisk until it is completely dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
8. Place the mixture into a container and let it cool. Once it’s completely cool, you can use it on your skin to sooth bruises and sore muscles – be careful using it on your face, as the cayenne pepper can burn your eyes and mouth!
How It Works
Arnica has a long history of homoeopathic use in pain relief remedies, and for good reason – studies have shown that when used topically, it has significant pain-reducing effects(3). It can also help with numbness and restoring function and mobility which have been impaired by inflammation(4).
￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼Cayenne pepper contains a compound known as capsaicin, which, when used topically, can be an extremely effective pain reliever(5). It works by inhibiting the function of nociceptor fibres in the skin, which numbs pain sensations.
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2237931
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1568427/
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC539394/
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24278813
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3169333/
- Carrot Juice Cures Stage 4 Cancer
Drug free cancer cures are gaining more and more publicity, as research continues to conclude that conventional therapies often do …
- 5 Ways to Stop Headaches Without Popping a Pill
Headaches, no matter how common they may seem, should be taken seriously and addressed immediately. This debilitating condition, often described …
- 16 Delicious Foods That Burn Belly Fat and Support Weight Loss
Obesity is a way-to-common problem in America and throughout the world. In fact, according to the Nation Health Institute, in …
- Is Alcohol Destroying Your Diet
Trying to shed those excess pounds can be challenging, but for many people that harmless little tipple at the weekend …
- Undeniable Link Between Aerobic Exercise and Memory Will Make You Think Twice About Taking The Elevator
Researchers from Michigan State University have published a study that looked at the effect of exercise on the brain. We all …
- The Worst 5 Phones To Carry On You If You Want To Avoid Cancer
Cell phones do a great job at connecting people. The problem is, they may be slowly poisoning us with every call …
- How To Use Watermelon As Medicine
No picnic or backyard party is complete without a watermelon or two. Watermelons are so popular in fact, they are …
- Monsanto’s Secret Is Out: Glyphosate Is In Your Food
When growing food crops, any farmer wants to harvest as much as possible and minimize what falls prey to insects …
- 20 Fruits, Veggies And Herbs You Can Grow At Home For An ENDLESS Supply of Organic And Free Food
Although growing your own food may seem like a daunting task now, before grocery stores came about, having a garden …
- Most Store-Bought Honey Is FAKE And Causes Inflammation! (5 Ways To Test The Purity of Your Honey)
Nobody likes to be deceived. Especially not when it comes to their health. Unfortunately, the reality is that millions of people are unknowingly …
- How to Make Honey Ginger Cough Drops
This week I found myself with a hellishly sore throat and no cough drops in the house. Normally I *am* one …
- How To Use Himalayan Salt Lamps For Better Air, Sleep And Mental Clarity
Himalayan crystal salt is the purest salt available on earth. Hence why it is used a lot for salt lamps. …
- Man Diagnosed with Terminal Lung Cancer Heals Himself with Honey and Spices
Thirteen years ago, Croatian doctors told Ante Kresich that his lung cancer was beyond treatment and to get things in …
- What Causes Water Retention and How to Avoid It
Everybody experiences bloating and swelling of some sort every once in a while, but water retention can be a serious …
- How Sugar Messes Up Your Liver and Gives You Diabetes
By now, most of us know that there’s some relationship between eating sugar and type II diabetes. But do you …