Many health-savvy consumers are starting to avoid skincare products that contain petroleum, which goes into many commercial skincare products as a base. Petroleum has been linked to cancer in at least one study(1), although other studies claim that in small enough amounts – for example, the amounts that are typically contained in beauty products – it is not carcinogenic(2).
Regardless, it’s easy to see why many people are opting for petroleum-free skin products when given the option. While petroleum is often found in topical analgesic creams – the kind used for easing sore muscles after intense workouts, and relieving joint pain associated with inflammation – there is a natural alternative.
Coconut-oil based skin products are experiencing something of a heyday, due to the moisturizing and nourishing effects that coconut oil has on the skin. Try this recipe as a replacement for petroleum-based analgesic creams.
Pain-Relieving Salve Recipe
- 2 cups coconut oil
- 6 ounces died arnica montana flowers
- 3-6 tbsp cayenne powder
- 1/2 beeswax granules
1. Grind up the arnica flowers with a mortar and pestle, or using a food processor.
2. Place the dried, ground-up arnica into a double boiler or crock pot.
3. Add the cayenne powder to the arnica flowers.
4. Pour the coconut oil over the herbs and ensure that all the flowers are submerged in the oil.
5. Cover the mixture and let it sit over low heat for twelve to twenty-four hours, stirring occasionally. Once it has steeped, turn off the crock pot or double boiler and let the mixture cool – but not completely, or the coconut oil may solidify. The mixture should be warm enough to touch but not hot enough to burn you.
6. Place a cheesecloth over a bowl or jar and carefully pour the coconut oil into the cheesecloth, letting the cheesecloth strain out the herbs. Turn the heat back on and add the coconut oil back to the double boiler or crock pot.
7. Add the beeswax and whisk until it is completely dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
8. Place the mixture into a container and let it cool. Once it’s completely cool, you can use it on your skin to sooth bruises and sore muscles – be careful using it on your face, as the cayenne pepper can burn your eyes and mouth!
How It Works
Arnica has a long history of homoeopathic use in pain relief remedies, and for good reason – studies have shown that when used topically, it has significant pain-reducing effects(3). It can also help with numbness and restoring function and mobility which have been impaired by inflammation(4).
￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼Cayenne pepper contains a compound known as capsaicin, which, when used topically, can be an extremely effective pain reliever(5). It works by inhibiting the function of nociceptor fibres in the skin, which numbs pain sensations.
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2237931
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1568427/
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC539394/
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24278813
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3169333/
- 14 Houseplants That Thrive In Low Light
While most plants crave plenty of natural light, for indoor plant lovers, it’s not always feasible to have these sun-loving …
- Top 10 Toxins Lurking In Your Home
Most of us like to think of our homes as safe places, but there are countless toxins lurking unsuspected in …
- You’ll Never Go to Bed Without Putting Lemon Peel on Your Heel Again After Reading This!
One of the many joys of summer is wearing sandals and feeling the warm sun on your toes…especially if you …
- 5 Ways Your Smartphone Is Hurting You
Finding life hard to bear without your smartphone attached to you 24/7? Well read on as what we have uncovered …
- Take One Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil In The Morning (And These Unbelievable Things Happen)
Olive oil has been used for many purposes throughout history. Today, it is used in medicine; pharmaceutical; and personal hygiene products. …
- Study: Drinking Coffee Might Lower Risk of Liver Cancer
Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), the most common type of liver cancer to you and me, could have its chances of developing …
- How To Make Detox Foot Pads At Home To Cleanse Your Body Of Toxins
Foot pads have been used and sold in Japan for hundreds of years. Similar to acupuncture, which has a positive effect on people’s energetic systems, …
- DON’T Do This at The Grocery Store (Automatically Adds More Calories)
Have you ever shopped for food hungry? Many people think that shopping while hungry influences your food purchasing decisions. It’s …
- Beware of The #1 Cause of Acute Liver Damage
Raise your hand is you’ve ever taken Tylenol. Chances are, you probably have some in your medicine cabinet and rely …
- Fatty Liver Disease: 6 Symptoms You Need to Know
Fatty liver disease can be severely detrimental to your body and your health. Though it doesn’t cause any problems in …
- Top 5 Weight Loss Drinks You Need To Try
Thinking about losing a few extra pounds? The only true way to shed off unwanted weight is with a strict …
- Yikes! This Medical Condition Can Cut Your Life Short by as Much as 8 Years
Researchers say extremely obese people can expect to die about eight years earlier than healthier people. The study, conducted by …
- Warning Signs Your Magnesium, Potassium and Calcium Levels Are OFF and How To FIX It!
You might have noticed that working out or sweating excessively may leave you feeling tired and dehydrated even when you …
- If This Doctor Was Diagnosed With Cancer, He Would IMMEDIATELY Do These 5 Things…
Conventional medicine uses chemo, surgery and radiation to treat cancer. Unfortunately, it doesn’t try to understand the underlying cause of …
- 64 Warning Signs You’ve Just Eaten MSG Filled Food (Reach For Ginger IMMEDIATELY)
Have you ever noticed that some foods can leave you feeling ill and foggy-headed after your meal? This phenomena has …