Epsom salt may look like salt, but it’s actually magnesium sulfate, a mineral compound (1).
Epsom salt can be used to fertilize your garden and nourish your skin. It’s also commonly added to baths to help create a feeling of relaxation and promote muscle recovery.
Readily available at almost any pharmacy and inexpensive to buy, Epsom Salt is a home remedy ingredient you should always have on hand. Here’s why.
Powerful Benefits of Epsom Salt
As its name suggests, Epsom salts contain magnesium, which is absorbed through the skin when applied topically.
This mineral is a cofactor to over 300 enzymes in the body. Among other things, it contributes to energy production, reduces inflammation and helps regulate your levels of calcium, copper, zinc, potassium, vitamin D, and other key nutrients in the body.
It’s known to play a role in the treatment of asthma, depression, diabetes, fibromyalgia, hearing loss, arrhythmia, heart failure, high blood pressure, migraines, osteoporosis, eclampsia, PMS and colorectal cancer (2,3).
Sulfate, on the other hand, is important in promoting liver detoxification. Combined in a hot bath, the chemicals help produce serotonin, the “happy hormone” that promotes a feeling of calm and relaxation (4).
The use of Epsom salt baths can be used to treat the following conditions (5):
- Arthritis pain and swelling
- Bruises and sprains
- Fibromyalgia, a condition that makes your muscles, ligaments, and tendons hurt, and causes tender points throughout your body
- Ingrown toenails
- Psoriasis, a disease that causes red, itchy, scaly skin
- Sore muscles after working out
- Soreness from diarrhea during chemotherapy
- Sunburn pain and redness
- Tired, swollen feet
How To Use Epsom Salts
Most Epsom salt packaging recommends using 2 cups of Epsom salt in a well-filled bath and soaking for 12-15 minutes.
However, David Jockers DC, MS, CSCS recommends that the quantity of salt you use should correlate with your body weight. He also suggests soaking for 20-40 minutes. The first 20 minutes pulls out toxins while the next 20 allows the body to absorb the minerals.
Here are the quantities of Epsom salt he recommends (6):
- Children under 60 lbs: ½ cup
- Individuals between 60-100 lbs: 1 cup
- Individuals between 100-150 lbs: 1½ cups
- Individuals between 150-200 lbs: 2 cups
- For every 50lbs more – add an additional ½ cup of salts.
To boost detoxification, use a dry brush for 5 minutes or so to move along lymph and open your pores. Add ½ cup of raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar for an extra-deep detox.
For a relaxing bath, add a few drops of essential oils like lavender and add a few tablespoons of baking soda. To hydrate skin, add a generous amount of coconut oil.
- Some Guy Posted His Hospital Bill Online. You’ll See Why Everyone’s Talking About It.
In a Reddit post gone viral, a man explained that he went to the hospital for an appendicitis, and ended …
- Try This Quick Homemade Solution to Treat Poison Ivy Symptoms
Anyone who’s ever stepped in a patch of poison ivy knows it’s no fun – the itchy red bumps can …
- Sorry, Pet Lovers, But It’s Time To Stop Sharing The Bed
It’s been long known and often clinically proven that having a pet is good for you, both mentally and physically. …
- 5 Outstanding Ways To Use Raw Honey And Coconut Oil Together
Raw Honey and coconut oil are some of the most versatile foods available. Not just because of their nutritional values …
- 5 Toxins That Destroy Your Thyroid And a Simple Drink To Save It
Your thyroid secretes hormones that regulate the metabolism of every cell in the body (1). It plays an important role in: …
- This Is What Your Body Odor Says About Your Health And What You Can Do To Control It
Sweating is good for you. Perspiration cools the skin when it’s hot so you don’t overheat and is one way …
- This Is What Happens To Your Heart When You Sit Still For More Than 6 Hours At a Time
Have you ever thought about how many hours you actually spend sitting in a day? More and more studies are …
- 12 Simple Epsom Salt Beauty Hacks For Your Skin, Lips And Hair
Epsom salt is one of mother nature’s best heal-alls. Named after a town in England where it’s extracted from the …
- Massage THIS Point On Your Leg To Stop Stress And Sleep Better At Night
Chinese traditional medicine has long documented the health benefits of various natural remedies. Some of them have been so effective …
- How To Test For Low or High Stomach Acid In Seconds With Apple Cider Vinegar
If your stomach is producing too much acid, often you’ll experience symptoms. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD or “acid reflux”) is …
- Calcium Alone Won’t Prevent Osteoporosis…You Also NEED These 3 Essential Nutrients!
We know that calcium is needed for tooth and bone support. What you may not know is that calcium doesn’t …
- Powerful Alternative to Aspirin Grows On Trees and Has 40-Years of Research to Back It Up
Aspirin’s long held promises are increasingly falling flat. A natural, safer and more effective alternative to this synthetic drug has …
- 25 Indoor Plants That Can Filter Air Pollutants Out of Your Home And Improve Air Quality
We know that we depend on plants for the air we breathe. They breathe in carbon dioxide and breathe out …
- Honey Wraps Gently Cures Cough And Removes Mucus From The Lungs In Just One Night!
Yes, that’s right, honey wraps can cure common colds very quickly. Cough and cold are minor ailments but sometimes it …
- Cannabis Oil Cured Girl’s Leukemia After HPV Vaccine Broke Down Her Body
Did you know that many children who have received the Gardasil vaccine have also been affected by leukemia and other …