Epsom salt may look like salt, but it’s actually magnesium sulfate, a mineral compound (1).
Epsom salt can be used to fertilize your garden and nourish your skin. It’s also commonly added to baths to help create a feeling of relaxation and promote muscle recovery.
Readily available at almost any pharmacy and inexpensive to buy, Epsom Salt is a home remedy ingredient you should always have on had. Here’s why.
Powerful Benefits of Epsom Salt
As its name suggests, Epsom salts contain magnesium, which is absorbed through the skin when applied topically.
This mineral is a cofactor to over 300 enzymes in the body. Among other things, it contributes to energy production, reduces inflammation and helps regulate your levels of calcium, copper, zinc, potassium, vitamin D, and other key nutrients in the body.
It’s known to play a role in the treatment of asthma, depression, diabetes, fibromyalgia, hearing loss, arrhythmia, heart failure, high blood pressure, migraines, osteoporosis, eclampsia, PMS and colorectal cancer (2,3).
Sulfate, on the other hand, is important in promoting liver detoxification. Combined in a hot bath, the chemicals help produce serotonin, the “happy hormone” that promotes a feeling of calm and relaxation (4).
The use of Epsom salt baths can be used to treat the following conditions (5):
- Arthritis pain and swelling
- Bruises and sprains
- Fibromyalgia, a condition that makes your muscles, ligaments, and tendons hurt, and causes tender points throughout your body
- Ingrown toenails
- Psoriasis, a disease that causes red, itchy, scaly skin
- Sore muscles after working out
- Soreness from diarrhea during chemotherapy
- Sunburn pain and redness
- Tired, swollen feet
How To Use Epsom Salts
Most Epsom salt packaging recommends using 2 cups of Epsom salt in a well-filled bath and soaking for 12-15 minutes.
However, David Jockers DC, MS, CSCS recommends that the quantity of salt you use should correlate with your body weight. He also suggests soaking for 20-40 minutes. The first 20 minutes pulls out toxins while the next 20 allows the body to absorb the minerals.
Here are the quantities of Epsom salt he recommends (6):
- Children under 60 lbs: ½ cup
- Individuals between 60-100 lbs: 1 cup
- Individuals between 100-150 lbs: 1½ cups
- Individuals between 150-200 lbs: 2 cups
- For every 50lbs more – add an additional ½ cup of salts.
To boost detoxification, use a dry brush for 5 minutes or so to move along lymph and open your pores. Add ½ cup of raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar for an extra-deep detox.
For a relaxing bath, add a few drops of essential oils like lavender and add a few tablespoons of baking soda. To hydrate skin, add a generous amount of coconut oil.
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- How To Use Himalayan Salt Lamps For Better Air, Sleep And Mental Clarity
Himalayan crystal salt is the purest salt available on earth. Hence why it is used a lot for salt lamps. …
- The Real Truth: Antidepressants Actually Deplete These 3 Crucial Nutrients for the Brain
Antidepressants are one of the most prescribed medications out there. But how much do you know about the side effects …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- 10 High-Protein Vegetables You Need to Start Eating Today
Protein is the building blocks of muscles as well as bone, skin, hair, and nearly every other part of your …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- The Many Benefits of Coriander Seed Oil and How to Use It
Coriander is a savory spice used extensively in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is the seed of the cilantro …
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …
- Teen Invents Bra That Can Save Millions After Mom Nearly Dies Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the main health concerns that women face in this day and age. For many, learning of …
- They Said Hydrogen Peroxide Was Great, But They Didn’t Tell You This
Hydrogen peroxide is perhaps best known for its ability to clean up wounds. But, as this article will attest to, …
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids Fight Inflammation The Same Way as Cannabis (Via Cannabinoids)
Cannabinoids are powerful healing compounds found in cannabis that bind to cannabinoid receptors in the brain and gut (1). Other …