Epsom salt may look like salt, but it’s actually magnesium sulfate, a mineral compound (1).
Epsom salt can be used to fertilize your garden and nourish your skin. It’s also commonly added to baths to help create a feeling of relaxation and promote muscle recovery.
Readily available at almost any pharmacy and inexpensive to buy, Epsom Salt is a home remedy ingredient you should always have on hand. Here’s why.
Powerful Benefits of Epsom Salt
As its name suggests, Epsom salts contain magnesium, which is absorbed through the skin when applied topically.
This mineral is a cofactor to over 300 enzymes in the body. Among other things, it contributes to energy production, reduces inflammation and helps regulate your levels of calcium, copper, zinc, potassium, vitamin D, and other key nutrients in the body.
It’s known to play a role in the treatment of asthma, depression, diabetes, fibromyalgia, hearing loss, arrhythmia, heart failure, high blood pressure, migraines, osteoporosis, eclampsia, PMS and colorectal cancer (2,3).
Sulfate, on the other hand, is important in promoting liver detoxification. Combined in a hot bath, the chemicals help produce serotonin, the “happy hormone” that promotes a feeling of calm and relaxation (4).
The use of Epsom salt baths can be used to treat the following conditions (5):
- Arthritis pain and swelling
- Bruises and sprains
- Fibromyalgia, a condition that makes your muscles, ligaments, and tendons hurt, and causes tender points throughout your body
- Ingrown toenails
- Psoriasis, a disease that causes red, itchy, scaly skin
- Sore muscles after working out
- Soreness from diarrhea during chemotherapy
- Sunburn pain and redness
- Tired, swollen feet
How To Use Epsom Salts
Most Epsom salt packaging recommends using 2 cups of Epsom salt in a well-filled bath and soaking for 12-15 minutes.
However, David Jockers DC, MS, CSCS recommends that the quantity of salt you use should correlate with your body weight. He also suggests soaking for 20-40 minutes. The first 20 minutes pulls out toxins while the next 20 allows the body to absorb the minerals.
Here are the quantities of Epsom salt he recommends (6):
- Children under 60 lbs: ½ cup
- Individuals between 60-100 lbs: 1 cup
- Individuals between 100-150 lbs: 1½ cups
- Individuals between 150-200 lbs: 2 cups
- For every 50lbs more – add an additional ½ cup of salts.
To boost detoxification, use a dry brush for 5 minutes or so to move along lymph and open your pores. Add ½ cup of raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar for an extra-deep detox.
For a relaxing bath, add a few drops of essential oils like lavender and add a few tablespoons of baking soda. To hydrate skin, add a generous amount of coconut oil.
- 7 Vegetables That You Can Regrow Again. And Again. And Again. And Again.
As you’re cooking, do you ever notice how many vegetable scraps end up in your garbage ? While some people …
- 4 Simple Home Remedies to Help Manage Acid Reflux That Don’t Require a Doctor’s Prescription
Acid reflux and it’s more serious cousin, GERD, affect many Americans, causing any number of symptoms, from a burning sensation …
- These Police Officers Meditate Before They Start Their Day! What If Every Cop Did This?
If you’ve seen the pictures of meditating police officers, you might have thought that is was either a joke or …
- 8 Reasons Why You Feel Bloated All The Time (And How To Fix The Problem)
This post first appeared on Darou Wellness.Bloating is one of the most frequent complaints that I hear in my office, …
- 14 Nutrient-Packed Low Calorie Foods To Boost Your Weight Loss
Counting your daily calorie intake has long been the golden standard of weight loss and maintenance. But recognizing low calorie …
- Press These Points On Your Baby’s Feet To Soothe Their Pain For Better Sleep
There isn’t anything quite as heartbreaking as a parent than hearing your baby cry and not knowing what’s wrong. Some …
- Here’s Everything You Need To Know This Summer About Removing And Preventing Tick Bites
As summer comes and the weather gets warmer, it’s hard to resist the great outdoors. While we might feel safe …
- Napping Can Dramatically Increase Learning, Memory, Awareness, and More
Siesta. In some countries, an afternoon nap is part of the culture; to escape the afternoon heat, rest, and re-energize. …
- 6 Types of Prescription Drugs That Are Robbing Your Body of Important Nutrients
According to the Mayo Clinic, seven out of ten Americans take prescription drugs. These drugs could be anything from diabetes …
- Drink This 3-ingredient Tea to Cleanse Your Lungs of Phlegm, Toxins, and Inflammation
Everybody catches a cold and flu from time to time. Some suffer chronic respiratory conditions like asthma, bronchitis, and allergies. Mucus …
- Everything You Need To Know About Delayed Drowning And What To Look Out For!
Swimming is one of the greatest pleasures of the warmer months. For children, a swimming pool can be the source …
- Master List of Monsanto Owned “Food” Producers
What if you found out that your favorite brand isn’t as safe and family-friendly as its colorful branding makes it …
- These US Politicians Support GMOs Yet Dine On Organic At Home
American politicians are known for being untruthful and having questionable morals. When it comes to food, politics can get pretty ugly. …
- Top 10 Toxic Fake Foods Made In China You NEED To Avoid
You’re not going to like this, not one bit. Although the news came out more than a year ago, the USDA now allows …
- Costco Is Buying Over A Thousand Acres Of Land For Local Farmers To Grow Organic Produce
Costco isn’t exactly where you’d think of shopping for natural products, but they certainly starting making their mark on the …