The condition causes pain and mobility problems as cartilage in the joints wear down.
Currently, there is no cure for arthritis, but there are many natural and medical treatments that can provide temporary relief.
By properly managing their symptoms, arthritic patients can lead an active, healthy lifestyle despite their diagnosis. One of the easiest ways to ease pain is using a ginger press.
How Ginger Helps Arthritis
You may think of ginger as a digestive aid, but it’s also often used to ease pain from arthritis, sore muscles and menstruation (2).
In fact, daily ginger consumption is said to reduce pain after standing and walking, and ease joint stiffness in patients suffering from arthritis.
The Arthritis Foundation of America even recommends the root as part of complimentary holistic treatment (3).
A recent study published in the Journal of Complementary Medicine found that ginger is as effective as diclofenac, a popular non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. Ginger, however, was found to be safer for long-term treatment because it does not harm the liver like prescription drugs do (4).
Additionally, Dr. Krishna C. Srivastava from Odense University in Denmark found that ginger works better than non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like Tylenol.
These drugs simply work by blocking the formation of inflammatory compounds. However, ginger works on several levels by blocking the formation of pro-inflammatory prostaglandins and leukotrienes while acting against existing inflammation and neutralizing uric acid in the joints (5).
See also: anti inflammatory foods
Other Active Ingredients
Garlic acts as a topical analgestic that helps ease inflammation in swollen joints, according to the Arthritis Research and Therapy journal (6).
In fact, garlic oil is often used in naturopathic medicine to ease joint and muscle pain. Garlic can also be taken orally for the same effects (7).
Salt is used topically to ease swelling, irritation and inflammation. In fact, saline compresses are also often used to prevent skin infection in cancer patients (8).
How To Make A Ginger Compress
This press works well against arthritic pain, but should not be placed on open wounds or broken skin.
- A few pieces of ginger root
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of Himalayan salt
- A large stainless steel mortar and pestle
- Plastic film
- Medical tape
- A large bandage
- Place the ginger in the mortar and pestle and crush.
- Peel the garlic and add to the ginger.
- Continue pounding and crushing, adding the salt as you go.
- Continue crushing until well blended.
- Scoop the mix into a large square of gauze and fold to make an envelope.
- Place the gauze envelope over the site of pain and cover with plastic film to avoid leaking.
- Tape down film with medical tape and wrap into place with a large cloth bandage.
- Leave on for a minimum of 6 hours and discard gauze envelope after use.
- Gelatin An Unexpected And Effective Remedy For Joint Pain
Many people suffer from joint pain, whether from osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, injury, uric acid crystals, years of normal wear …
- Study Shows Superior Results For Curcumin Treatment in Patients With Active Rheumatoid Arthritis
Turmeric, the bright orange cousin of ginger, has graduated from a colorful spice in Indian cuisine, to a widely recognized …
- Heal Your Neck Pain And Stiff Joints With This Homemade Essential Oils Cream
More than 50% of adults have had neck pain during the past year. Office worker are even more likely to …
- 30 Science-Backed Foods That Will Physically Block Joint Pain And Inflammation
When we hear about arthritis, we often think of it as an age-related disease; so what does anti-inflammatory foods have to do …
- QUIZ: How Well Are You Managing Your Arthritis Pain?
Are you one of the hundreds of millions of adults that suffer from arthritis? How much do you know about …
- 11 Worst Knee Pain Causes That Can’t Be Ignored
Knee pain is an extremely common ailment, with pain levels ranging from mildly annoying to severe and debilitating. Knee pain …
- How To Quickly Remove Uric Acid Crystallization From Your Body To Prevent Gout And Joint Pain
The formation of uric acid crystals in your joints is a perfect example of poor lifestyle choices. Left unattended, it …
- The Ultimate Knee Pain Treatment: 18 Yoga Poses for Stiff Knees
Knees are possibly the most important joints for mobility. They’re also the most prone to atrophy and injury, especially if …
- High-Fiber Diet Protects Against Knee Osteoarthritis! Here’s How Much You Should Eat Per Day…
Research published in a new edition of the Annals of Rheumatic Disease showed that individuals who ate high fiber diets …
- You Can Fight Arthritis With These Natural Herbs And Oils
Arthritis consists of more than 100 different conditions, including mild forms of tendinitis and bursitis as well as crippling rheumatoid …
- Eating Sesame Seeds Is Superior To Tylenol For Knee Arthritis
A remarkable new study published in the International Journal of Rheumatic Diseases confirms that food is not only medicine, but …
- 9 Arthritis-Friendly Foods To Help Manage Chronic Inflammation and Pain
Arthritis is a family of musculoskeletal disorders that consists of more than 100 different conditions, affecting people of all ages, …
- Say Goodbye to Gout Forever With This Powerful Natural Treatment!
Gout is a painful condition that can occur when your body is producing an excess amount of uric acid but luckily natural …
- The Tennis Ball Trick That Can Relieve Back, Neck Or Knee Pain In Seconds
Anyone who has ever received a massage from a registered therapist knows what sweet relief feels like. Sometimes we can’t …
- Say Goodbye To Pain In Your Joints, Legs and Spine With This Proven Anti-Inflammatory Smoothie
Unfortunately, it’s common for older adults to feel pain in the back, knees, legs and ankles. This is especially true …