The condition causes pain and mobility problems as cartilage in the joints wear down.
Currently, there is no cure for arthritis, but there are many natural and medical treatments that can provide temporary relief.
By properly managing their symptoms, arthritic patients can lead an active, healthy lifestyle despite their diagnosis. One of the easiest ways to ease pain is using a ginger press.
How Ginger Helps Arthritis
You may think of ginger as a digestive aid, but it’s also often used to ease pain from arthritis, sore muscles and menstruation (2).
In fact, daily ginger consumption is said to reduce pain after standing and walking, and ease joint stiffness in patients suffering from arthritis.
The Arthritis Foundation of America even recommends the root as part of complimentary holistic treatment (3).
A recent study published in the Journal of Complementary Medicine found that ginger is as effective as diclofenac, a popular non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. Ginger, however, was found to be safer for long-term treatment because it does not harm the liver like prescription drugs do (4).
Additionally, Dr. Krishna C. Srivastava from Odense University in Denmark found that ginger works better than non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like Tylenol.
These drugs simply work by blocking the formation of inflammatory compounds. However, ginger works on several levels by blocking the formation of pro-inflammatory prostaglandins and leukotrienes while acting against existing inflammation and neutralizing uric acid in the joints (5).
See also: anti inflammatory foods
Other Active Ingredients
Garlic acts as a topical analgestic that helps ease inflammation in swollen joints, according to the Arthritis Research and Therapy journal (6).
In fact, garlic oil is often used in naturopathic medicine to ease joint and muscle pain. Garlic can also be taken orally for the same effects (7).
Salt is used topically to ease swelling, irritation and inflammation. In fact, saline compresses are also often used to prevent skin infection in cancer patients (8).
How To Make A Ginger Compress
This press works well against arthritic pain, but should not be placed on open wounds or broken skin.
- A few pieces of ginger root
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of Himalayan salt
- A large stainless steel mortar and pestle
- Plastic film
- Medical tape
- A large bandage
- Place the ginger in the mortar and pestle and crush.
- Peel the garlic and add to the ginger.
- Continue pounding and crushing, adding the salt as you go.
- Continue crushing until well blended.
- Scoop the mix into a large square of gauze and fold to make an envelope.
- Place the gauze envelope over the site of pain and cover with plastic film to avoid leaking.
- Tape down film with medical tape and wrap into place with a large cloth bandage.
- Leave on for a minimum of 6 hours and discard gauze envelope after use.
Originally posted 2016-03-03 10:51:38.
- The Ultimate Ginger-Turmeric-Carrot Juice To Replace Your Pain And Inflammation Meds
Anyone suffering from arthritis understands how much the condition can make everyday life difficult. When it’s experienced in the knees …
- Make This Pomegranate Gelatin Treat To Get Rid Of Joint, Back And Knee Pain
Joints are the connective tissue between bones. Joint pain reduces mobility, which can begin as something mildly irritating only to …
- 11 Worst Arthritis Pain Mistakes Everyone Should Avoid
Arthritis pain is one of the most common conditions experienced by mankind, and to date is one of the least …
- 19 Ways To Ease Pain From Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) occurs when the nerves that run through a small space in the wrist become compressed. It’s …
- 22 Home Remedies To Get Instant Relief From Knee Pain & 16 More Tips To Ease The Pain
Your knees are the most annoying and unpleasant areas to be affected by joint pain. Because you use your knees …
- Eating Sesame Seeds Is Superior To Tylenol For Knee Arthritis
A remarkable new study published in the International Journal of Rheumatic Diseases confirms that food is not only medicine, but …
- 5 Worst Foods For Arthritis & Joint Pain
Managing arthritis can be a full-time job. There are certain activities and medication to be avoided to keep pain levels …
- Say Goodbye To Pain In Your Joints, Legs and Spine With This Proven Anti-Inflammatory Smoothie
Unfortunately, it’s common for older adults to feel pain in the back, knees, legs and ankles. This is especially true …
- Beat Arthritis and Joint Pain With This Anti-Inflammatory Gummy Snack (Tastes Surprisingly Good!)
Everyone – especially kids – loves gummy snacks like fruit roll-ups and Gushers, but many parents struggle with finding healthy …
- How To Make An Apple Cider Vinegar Soak To Treat Arthritis And Joint Pain
Arthritis can be debilitating. If you are used to being active, dealing with chronic inflammation, pain, and stiffness in your …
- You Can Fight Arthritis With These Natural Herbs And Oils
Arthritis consists of more than 100 different conditions, including mild forms of tendinitis and bursitis as well as crippling rheumatoid …
- Study Shows Superior Results For Curcumin Treatment in Patients With Active Rheumatoid Arthritis
Turmeric, the bright orange cousin of ginger, has graduated from a colorful spice in Indian cuisine, to a widely recognized …
- Heal Your Neck Pain And Stiff Joints With This Homemade Essential Oils Cream
More than 50% of adults have had neck pain during the past year. Office worker are even more likely to …
- 30 Science-Backed Foods That Will Physically Block Joint Pain And Inflammation
When we hear about arthritis, we often think of it as an age-related disease; so what does anti-inflammatory foods have to do …
- How To Quickly Remove Uric Acid Crystallization From Your Body To Prevent Gout And Joint Pain
The formation of uric acid crystals in your joints is a perfect example of poor lifestyle choices. Left unattended, it …