The healing powers of turmeric are impressive. Many studies have already demonstrated how the spice can help fight fatty liver disease, weight loss and even cancer.
In many cases, turmeric can help heal diseases better than pharmaceutical drugs, such as prozac.
A report in the journal Health Services Research found that doctors and nurses are increasingly likely to try alternative or complementary medicines themselves (1).
“I use a lot of turmeric in my practice,” says Dr. Minerva Santos, director of integrative medicine at Northern Westchester Hospital in New York. “It’s an amazing spice (2).”
Ibuprofen Is Toxic To Your Heart
A published Lancet review showed that ibuprofen was found to be as toxic to the heart as the banned anti-inflammatory drug Vioxx.
As reported by Reuters,
“Long-term high-dose use of painkillers such as ibuprofen or diclofenac is ‘equally hazardous’ in terms of heart attack risk as use of the drug Vioxx, which was withdrawn due to its potential dangers, researchers said.”
See also: anti inflammatory foods
Natural Alternative To Ibuprofen
Research shows that taking turmeric extracts, alone or in combination with other herbal ingredients, can reduce the pain caused by osteoarthritis, which is mainly caused by inflammation. In one study, turmeric worked about as well as ibuprofen for reducing osteoarthritis pain in the knee (3).
The study, published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, examined one-hundred and seven (107) patients with primary knee osteoarthritis (4). Half were given 2g of curcumin extracts per day for 6 weeks while the other half received 800 mg of ibuprofen per day. By the end of the study, the curcumin group had experience pain relief equal to that of the ibuprofen group.
Another study with a higher number of participants (367) showed similar results (5). In addition, researchers found that not a single patient in the turmeric group reported being unsatisfied unlike those in the ibuprofen group.
Ibuprofen Vs. Turmeric
Ibuprofen can have devastating effects on the liver as well as cause side effects including upset stomach, nausea, vomiting, headache, diarrhea, constipation, dizziness, or drowsiness (6). It can also lead to impaired vision, mood changes, easy bruising or bleeding and drug dependence.
In comparison, turmeric is generally safe to consume. Turmeric powder contains approximately 2-4% curcumin by weight. To enjoy its benefits, add turmeric to your meals or drink it as a tea. You can also choose to consume turmeric supplements.
Turmeric root is also easy to grow and should be consumed fresh for best results.
- 22 Home Remedies To Get Instant Relief From Knee Pain & 16 More Tips To Ease The Pain
Your knees are the most annoying and unpleasant areas to be affected by joint pain. Because you use your knees …
- Got Knee Pain? Try This Cinnamon-Pineapple Smoothie To Nourish Your Joints And Fight Inflammation
Your knees keep you mobile and strong throughout your life. They’re also one of the first areas of your body …
- High-Fiber Diet Protects Against Knee Osteoarthritis! Here’s How Much You Should Eat Per Day…
Research published in a new edition of the Annals of Rheumatic Disease showed that individuals who ate high fiber diets …
- Say Goodbye to Gout Forever With This Powerful Natural Treatment!
Gout is a painful condition that can occur when your body is producing an excess amount of uric acid but luckily natural …
- Heal Your Neck Pain And Stiff Joints With This Homemade Essential Oils Cream
More than 50% of adults have had neck pain during the past year. Office worker are even more likely to …
- 30 Science-Backed Foods That Will Physically Block Joint Pain And Inflammation
When we hear about arthritis, we often think of it as an age-related disease; so what does anti-inflammatory foods have to do …
- Say Goodbye To Pain In Your Joints, Legs and Spine With This Proven Anti-Inflammatory Smoothie
Unfortunately, it’s common for older adults to feel pain in the back, knees, legs and ankles. This is especially true …
- 19 Ways To Ease Pain From Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) occurs when the nerves that run through a small space in the wrist become compressed. It’s …
- Beat Arthritis and Joint Pain With This Anti-Inflammatory Gummy Snack (Tastes Surprisingly Good!)
Everyone – especially kids – loves gummy snacks like fruit roll-ups and Gushers, but many parents struggle with finding healthy …
- Grease Your Joints With These 5 Powerful Herbs (Kick Arthritis To The Curb!)
In pain? You’re not alone. There are so many ailments that can cause achy, stiff joints. While many people find help from …
- QUIZ: How Well Are You Managing Your Arthritis Pain?
Are you one of the hundreds of millions of adults that suffer from arthritis? How much do you know about …
- Gelatin An Unexpected And Effective Remedy For Joint Pain
Many people suffer from joint pain, whether from osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, injury, uric acid crystals, years of normal wear …
- 9 Arthritis-Friendly Foods To Help Manage Chronic Inflammation and Pain
Arthritis is a family of musculoskeletal disorders that consists of more than 100 different conditions, affecting people of all ages, …
- Make This Pomegranate Gelatin Treat To Get Rid Of Joint, Back And Knee Pain
Joints are the connective tissue between bones. Joint pain reduces mobility, which can begin as something mildly irritating only to …
- Study Shows Superior Results For Curcumin Treatment in Patients With Active Rheumatoid Arthritis
Turmeric, the bright orange cousin of ginger, has graduated from a colorful spice in Indian cuisine, to a widely recognized …