Everyone knows your body needs calcium for healthy bones and muscle development but there is another mineral that is just as important. In fact, magnesium is one of the most important minerals your body needs to function properly. One of the best ways to boost your levels of this crucial mineral is by applying magnesium lotion.
Studies now show that there are 3,751 magnesium-binding sites on human proteins and that magnesium is also found in more than 300 different enzymes in your body. It plays a key role in your body’s detoxification processes, which makes it vital for protecting your cells from environmental chemicals, heavy metals, and other toxins that can damage your body. (1)
In fact, without magnesium, your body cannot even properly absorb or utilize calcium! “Magnesium converts vitamin D into its active form so that it can help calcium absorption.” (2)
Despite this, nearly 75 percent of Americans are magnesium deficient. Studies show only about 25 percent of US adults actually get close to the recommended daily amount of magnesium. Your daily dose should be between 310 to 320 milligrams (mg) for women and 400 to 420 for men. (3)
Why You Need Magnesium
Magnesium is vital for so many processes in the human body.
Here are just a few (4):
- Maintains healthy bones
- Activates muscles and nerves
- Keeps energy levels balanced by activating adenosine triphosphate (ATP)
- Promotes healing and soothing of inflammation and other injuries
- Helps in the absorption of vitamin D from the sun
- Promotes circulation
- Helps you digest proteins, carbohydrates, and fats
- Serving as a building block for RNA and DNA synthesis
- Acts as a precursor for neurotransmitters like serotonin
- Can lower your risk of diabetes
So what happens when you don’t get enough magnesium? The simple answer is that your body starts to breakdown. Many of the vital functions necessary for daily health are impeded and when this happens, and disease sets in.
Here are just some of the signs and symptoms of a magnesium deficiency:
- Allergies and sensitivities
- Anxiety, depression or restlessness
- Arterial calcification
- Bad short term memory
- Back pain
- Behavioral problems
- Body odor
- Carbohydrate cravings
- Chronic fatigue
- Coldness in extremities (hands and feet)
- Fatigue or unusual tiredness
- Frequent cavities or poor dental health
- Fuzzy brain or difficulty concentrating
- Gut disorders
- Hair loss
- Heart “flutters” or palpitations, arrhythmia
- High levels of stress
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Inability to sleep, or insomnia
- Insulin resistance
- Kidney stones
- Lack of appetite
- Mental disturbances
- Morning sickness
- Muscle soreness, cramps or spasms
- Nausea and vomiting
- Poor coordination
- Sensitivity to noise
- Stomach cramps
- Trouble swallowing
- Thyroid problems
While some of these symptoms may be caused by a number of other issues, if you are experiencing 5 or more of the above symptoms, it is highly likely you are deficient in magnesium. And one of the fastest and most efficient ways to increase your magnesium is with a topical cream.
Your skin is the largest organ of your body. It not only expels toxins by sweating etc., but it can also absorb substances.
Many medications are often applied transdermally (topically) because it is an effective and often safer, faster method.(5)
When it comes to magnesium, it can be applied topically in several forms: magnesium oil, magnesium gel, and magnesium lotion or magnesium bath salts. These forms of magnesium can be applied easily by either spraying them directly on your skin, applying them as a lotion or gel, or even by adding them to your bath.
One study by the American Holistic Medical Association shows that using a daily foot soak with magnesium flakes, followed by a topical magnesium oil, can actually significantly increase the magnesium levels in 75 percent of people, and in just 4 weeks. (6)
Topical Magnesium Application vs Dietary
You may be wondering why you would not just take a eat more magnesium-rich foods or take a magnesium supplement. While you can, studies show that when it comes to magnesium, your body will typically only absorb between 20 to 50 percent of the magnesium you ingest from any source. As well, any medications you take like diuretics and antibiotics will also affect how well your kidneys function, often causing them to excrete, rather than reabsorb magnesium.
Add to that digestive issues such as poor gut health, low stomach acid, and any gastrointestinal diseases, and the amount of magnesium you actually receive is minimal. Even such things as aging, diabetes, alcohol dependence, stress, and illness can negatively affect how much magnesium your body can absorb. By applying magnesium topically, you can essentially bypass many of these issues to assure your body actually absorbs this vital mineral.
Studies also show that while absorption rates will vary among individuals, magnesium oil has one of the highest rates of absorption of any form of this mineral. One study shows that after 12 weeks of using a transdermal application of a 31 percent magnesium chloride, 89 percent of people raised their cellular magnesium levels by an average of 59.7 percent. (7)
What is more convincing is that people who took oral supplements had to take them for up to two years to experience similar results. As an added bonus, the people who used the transdermal magnesium also experienced an improved calcium/magnesium ratio while another 78 percent showed significant heavy metal detoxification following the treatment.
Supplements Aren’t King
Other studies show that many magnesium supplements, especially those that contain magnesium oxide, are highly inferior and provide only a 4 percent absorption rate. (8)
The other issue with supplements that are widely marketed is that many of the cheaper brands, and those that are not certified organic, contain little to none of the actual vitamins and minerals claimed. In 2015, New York attorney general Eric Schneiderman showed that as many as 79 percent of all the supplements tested in one investigation did not actually contain the primary ingredient listed. (9)
So, the easiest way to make sure you get enough magnesium is to apply it directly to your skin. To get you started here is an inexpensive recipe to make your own magnesium skin cream you can apply daily.
How To Make Magnesium Lotion
This magnesium lotion recipe will make you feel amazing!
- ½ cup magnesium flakes
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
Magnesium Body Butter
- ½ cup magnesium oil (see above)
- ¼ cup avocado oil (alternatively, you can use sweet almond oil or unrefined coconut oil)
- 2 tablespoons beeswax
- 3 tablespoons shea butter
- Pour 3 tablespoons of boiling water into the magnesium flakes in a small container and stir until it dissolves. This will create a thick liquid. Set aside to cool.
Magnesium Body Butter
- In a quart size mason jar inside a small pan with 1 inch of water, combine the coconut oil, emulsifying wax and shea butter and turn on medium heat.
- When melted, remove the jar from the pan and let the mixture cool until room temp and slightly opaque. At this point, put into a medium bowl or blender.
- If in a bowl, use a hand blender or immersion blender on medium speed and start blending the oil mixture.
- Slowly (starting with a drop at a time) add the dissolved magnesium mixture to the oil mixture while continuing blending until all of the magnesium mix is added and it is well-mixed.
- Put in the fridge for 15 minutes and re-blend to get body butter consistency.
This moisturizing magnesium body butter will keep for up to two months, especially if stored in your fridge. You can also mix your lotion with several drops of a carrier oil, like sweet almond or coconut oil to make a soothing massage oil.
If you like, you can also add a few drops of your favorite essential oil, such as lavender for a relaxing bonus. You can even use it before bed to help calm your nerves and act as a natural sleep aid.
- All It Takes Is One Boiled Egg To Control Sugar Levels In The Blood
Every time you eat, your blood sugar levels go up. This is especially true for individuals who have type 2 diabetes or …
- Kill Sinus Infection in 20 Seconds With This Simple Method And This Common Household Ingredient!
There’s nothing more annoying than a runny nose and itchy throat. It’s even worse when your sinuses swell up and …
- The Body Will Give You These 10 Signs If Your Kidney Is In Danger
Your kidneys are one of the smallest organs in your body, but they have one of the biggest jobs—they filter …
- 23 Best Yoga Poses for Neck Pain
According to recent estimates, somewhere around 10% adults are experiencing neck pain at any given time. (1) As much as 50% of …
- This Is Why Your Legs Cramp At Night And How To Stop It From Happening Ever Again
Nocturnal leg cramps are not only painful, but they also prevent you from having a good night’s sleep, which is important …
- 10 Dangerous Brain-Damaging Habits to Stop Immediately
On average, a human adult brain weighs about 3 pounds (1,300-1,400 g), which is roughly 2% of your total body …
- 19 Ways To Ease Pain From Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) occurs when the nerves that run through a small space in the wrist become compressed. It’s …
- How To Use Peppermint Essential Oil To Kick Your Sugar Habit
Sugar addiction is no joke – there’s compelling scientific evidence that addiction to refined sugar can be just as serious …
- 7 Easy Ways to Optimize Your Hormones (and Be Your Best at Any Age)
As its name implies, growth hormones stimulate growth, cell reproduction and regeneration in humans. Growth hormone diminishes as you age, …
- 17 Best Home Remedies for Back Pain Relief
For those of us who’ve experienced back pain, we know that there’s very little else that is as uncomfortable, inconvenient, …
- Keeping Your Gut Happy Is Key To Having a Healthy Brain (Here’s What You Can Do Right Now)
When it comes to the delicate balance of our bodies, there’s still a lot we don’t know, and it seems …
- Every Single Person Who has Cancer has a pH that is Too Acidic. Here is the Easiest Way to Check your pH Balance
A slightly alkaline environment is essential for proper cellular functions. Your gut bacteria and immune system rely on it too. …
- All The Signs, Symptoms, Triggers and Treatments of Hypo and Hyperthyroidism
According to the American Thyroid Association, an estimated 20 million Americans have some form of thyroid disease. Up to 60 …
- Anxiety Disorders are Linked to This Type of Abuse
“Stick and stones can break my bones but words will never hurt me” may sound nice in theory, but it isn’t …
- 5 Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Sinus Infection
By now, you probably already know that Apple Cider Vinegar is a true lifesaver. Whether it be used to flavor …