It can’t be stressed enough how necessary Magnesium is for a healthy and functioning body. Absence of this important nutrient can result in serious illness and complications. According to a study published in The Journal of Intensive Care Medicine a magnesium deficiency makes you twice as likely to die compared to other people. (1)
Increasing this vital mineral can actually help battle and even cure some diseases. Despite all of this, nearly half of all Americans are deficient in Magnesium completely unaware of it (2).
The Relaxation Mineral
Believe it or not, magnesium is known as the relaxation mineral. Well-known in health circles for it’s ability to combat stress, magnesium is responsible for over 300 enzymes in your brain (3). Not only can the mineral reduce stress, it can also improve sleep by reducing the production of cortisol, the stress hormone.
It’s surprising that considering all of the benefits of Magnesium, it isn’t more discussed or promoted by doctors. In the medical field it’s not uncommon to see Magnesium used, especially on patients in critical condition (4).
Magnesium is a critical element in cardiovascular health, for this reason it is often used on people who have suffered a heart attack or arrhythmia. Magnesium and potassium also help get rid of water retention, making it a natural diuretic in higher doses, and is often used when preparing for a colonoscopy.
That being said, you don’t need to be hospitalized or in an extreme case of emergency to reap the benefits of magnesium. You simply need to start incorporating more magnesium into your daily diet.
Are You Deficient in Magnesium?
Magnesium has earned it’s name as the “ relaxation mineral ” and for good reasons. Achiness, irritability and cramps are all symptoms of magnesium deficiency (5).
Magnesium is involved in a wide variety of systems, including cardiovascular, neural, muscular, bone and hormone health. With it’s primary job being monitoring the flow of calcium to the cell, you really can’t have healthy cells without it (6).
Stress comes into play when the body undergoes rapid change due to anxiety. Each cell in the body responds differently to this change and needs the right kind of hormonal and chemical balance to handle it (7).
Unfortunately the foods high in magnesium, such as seaweed, nuts, greens, and beans, are not commonly eaten in an American diet.
If you think you may be suffering from magnesium deficiency, be aware of the following symptoms:
- Behavioral disturbances
- Increase intracellular calcium
- Calcium Deficiency
- Potassium Deficiency
- Irregular or rapid heartbeat
- Growth retardation or “failure to thrive” (among children)
- Involuntary eye movements and vertigo
- Difficulty swallowing
- Muscle Spasm
- Muscle Cramps
- Hyperactive reflexes
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Anorexia or loss of appetite
- Impaired memory and cognitive function
Magnesium deficiency has also been linked to inflammation, which is considered to be the root cause of many diseases. One study found that “inflammatory indicators in the body such as CRP (C-reactive protein), TNF (tumor necrosis factor alpha), and IL6 (interleukin 6) were all reduced when magnesium intake was increased.” Inflammation that was found within the artery walls was also reduced with magnesium (8).
Here are some tips on how to stop draining your body of Magnesium (10).
- Limit your intake of caffeine, salt, alcohol and sugar.
- Take up relaxing practices such as meditation, journaling, and deep breathing to reduce stress.
- Avoid eating junk food and increase your intake of whole foods.
- Soak up in epsom salt baths.
Making these lifestyle changes isn’t going to be easy but it’s definitely worth it!
- This List of Ingredients Is The Reason Why You Should Never Feed Your Kids Happy Meals Ever Again!
It’s no secret that McDonald’s doesn’t serve up healthy food. Common ingredients include artificial and synthetic ingredients that can cause …
- The Worst 5 Phones To Carry On You If You Want To Avoid Cancer
Cell phones do a great job at connecting people. The problem is, they may be slowly poisoning us with every call …
- Burn Bay Leaves in the House and See What Happens After 10 Minutes!
If you’ve ever stepped inside a yoga studio or new age book shop, you may have noticed that these places …
- Classified Documents Reveal Monsanto Knew About Glyphosate Link to Cancer 35 Years Ago
Roundup is the most popular herbicide on the planet. It’s made by Monsanto, a multi-billion dollar corporation headquartered in St. …
- New Studies Show Taking Tylenol Decreases Your Empathy For Others
We always hear about the never-ending list of adverse side effects from prescribed medications—everything from common and mild issues to …
- Sweden Bans Mandatory Vaccinations Over ‘Serious Health Concerns’
There’s no denying it: vaccines a controversial issue. On one hand, they have saved the lives of countless children and …
- Drink This 2x a Day To Remove Uric Acid Before It Crystallizes In Your Joints And Becomes Painful
Detox juices are an effective method to rejuvenate your body and improve your overall health. As a matter of fact, a natural …
- This Is What Your Tongue Reveals About Your Body…
Say ahh! Opening up your mouth to take a look at your tongue can help you to learn a lot …
- What Happens To Your Body When You Eat Too Much Protein
Protein is a vital part of everyone’s daily diet. It helps build muscle mass, provides vital energy, and helps burn …
- How Toxic Is Your Neighborhood’s Air? This Map Knows for Sure.
Technology and humans have a two-way action/reaction relationship. Sometimes technological capacity influences our lives and sometimes we endeavor to devise means …
- The Relationship Between Blood Sugar Levels And Stress Is More Serious Than You Think
The relationship between insulin and stress-related hormones is complex, but it’s important to understand it, especially for those living with …
- It Tightens The Skin Better Than Botox: This 3 Ingredients Face Mask Will Make You Look 10 Years Younger
Your skin is a window to your physical and emotional health. If you’re having a bad day, your skin will …
- Cut a Few Lemons and Place Them On The Bedside In Your Bedroom – Here’s Why!
We often take our sense of smell for granted. Without it, our sense of taste would be severely hampered. Memories …
- When Your Doctor Suggests Regular Mammograms, This Is What You Need To Say Back!
Take caution when your doctor suggests mammograms. You can read the video transcript from the interview conducted with Dr. Ben Johnson below: …
- These Foods Make Cancer Cells Grow In Your Body! Stop Eating Them Right Now!
We’ve come to know, through medical research and ancestral wisdom, that there are foods that contain certain nutrients that prevent …