Kidney stones are one of the most painful health conditions out there.
Since they’re caused by a combination of factors, kidney stones can affect nearly anyone.
How Kidney Stones Form
When urine is too concentrated, the minerals it contains (like calcium, oxalate, and uric acid) crystallize and stick together, forming stones.
These deposits are incredibly painful to pass and may need to be removed through surgery if they get too big.
According to the Mayo clinic, symptoms of kidney stones include:
- Severe pain in the side and back, below the ribs
- Pain that spreads to the lower abdomen and groin
- Pain that comes in waves and fluctuates in intensity
- Pain on urination
- Pink, red or brown urine
- Cloudy or foul-smelling urine
- Nausea and vomiting
- Persistent need to urinate
- Urinating more often than usual
- Fever and chills if an infection is present
- Urinating small amounts of urine
Drinking plenty of water is the most effective way to prevent kidney stones, as water flushes out stone-forming minerals before they get a chance to crystallize (2).
Looking Towards Lemonade For Kidney Stones
One of the ways doctors treat kidney stones is by prescribing potassium citrate.
Since citrate is a derivative of citric acid, natural sources of the acid, like lemons and limes, provide a natural treatment option.
Steven Y. Nakada, chair and professor of urology at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, gave the natural remedy a shot in a lab setting. It worked so well that it’s now a staple of his treatment plan: “When treating patients in our kidney stone center, we put everyone on lemonade therapy,” he says(3).
At a news conference on kidney stone research at the American Urological Association’s annual meeting in Atlanta, Nakada presented the results of his case studies. Nakada found that sugar-free lemonade increased the amount of citrate in his patients’ urine and inhibited the formation of kidney stones.
He hopes that the intervention benefits others too.
“The trend is going to be, if you can make a change in your diet and avoid medications, you are going to try to do that,” Nakada said. “We see lemonade therapy as playing a role [in this trend].”
Fellow researcher David Kang, from Duke University’s Comprehensive Kidney Stone Center, studied the long-term effects of the classic summer drink.
Kang and his team followed 12 patients suffering from chronic kidney stones for 4 years. The patients drank lemonade regularly during this period and experienced a lower incidence of kidney stones.
“None of the patients needed medical intervention over a mean treatment period of four years,” Kang said.
While Kang’s study population is small, it’s very promising. Part of the therapy’s success does involve the citrate in lemons, but its main benefits come from staying hydrated.
“To reduce kidney stones, you have to increase your fluid intake so that you pass 1.5 to 2 liters of urine a day,” said Marshall Stoller, MD, vice chairman of urology and medical director of the urinary stone center at the University of California, San Francisco.
Stoller, Nakada, and Kang have suggestions on what lemonade recipe to use. They recommend mixing 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice with 7 cups of water and a spoonful or two of honey. You should drink the full batch every day, preferably in the morning and evening.
Preventing kidney stones also involves reducing your intake of salt, animal protein, staying hydrated, and skipping out on calcium supplements, which increase the calcium content of your urine.
- Researchers Say That THIS Natural Anti-Inflammatory Spice Is Effective For Sciatica Pain
Lower back sciatica pain can be a highly debilitating problem. If you slip a disc or pinch a nerve in …
- How to Clear Your Sinuses With Your Tongue And Your Thumb in 20 Seconds
Congestion is caused by the inflammation of the lining of your sinus cavities. This inflammation can be painful and uncomfortable, …
- Simple Trick Helps You Temporarily See Better When You Drop Your Glasses Or Lose a Contact Lens…
Many people experience vision problems – in the Netherlands, for example, more than 6 in 10 people wear glasses or …
- Bloated? Anxious? Nobody Told You These 5 Essential Oils Can Help Reset Your Hormones
Hormones aren’t something anyone gives much thought, but when they aren’t balanced, they may lead to serious health problems. In …
- ‘The Restaurant Of Order Mistakes’ Employs Waiters With Dementia, And You Never Know What You’ll Get
Part of the pleasure of going out for dinner is trying new and exciting foods you’d never cook at home. …
- 4 Foods that can Fight Depression
An estimated 1-in-10 Americans take antidepressants. That’s a shocking number of people relying on Big Pharma remedies for something that can be …
- This Almond and Kale Smoothie Contains All The Nutrients You Need For Stronger Bones
Osteoporosis is a common condition that develops as we age. The elements of bone begin to decay, making them brittle …
- This Sleeping Position Helps Your Brain Flush Out Toxins More Efficiently
Most of us don’t think much about the way we sleep. Whether we sleep on our back, side, stomach, or …
- 10 Herbs To Boost The Immune System
These 10 immune supportive plants will ensure that all those nasty colds and flus going around don’t end up in …
- Study: Turmeric more Effective than Prozac at Treating Depression
It’s common knowledge in the natural health world that pharmaceuticals often (if not always) do more harm than good. It’s …
- 6 Foods You Absolutely Need To Avoid If You Suffer From a Thyroid Disorder
Thyroid conditions can affect your energy, weight and overall health. Here’s why… This butterfly-looking gland is responsible for the production …
- 4 Nutrition Tips for Better Sleep
When you’re tossing and turning at night, dreaming about the possibility of real sleep, probably the last thing to cross …
- 9 Foods to Naturally Increase Melatonin for Better Sleep
If you suffer from occasional insomnia or if it’s a nightly battle for you, you’ve likely looked at all of …
- Top 9 Natural Herbs For Memory
Many people associate memory loss with ageing. But whether it’s occasional forgetfulness or loss of short-term memory, one must be …
- Teen Invents Bra That Can Save Millions After Mom Nearly Dies Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the main health concerns that women face in this day and age. For many, learning of …