Kidney stones are one of the most painful health conditions out there.
Since they’re caused by a combination of factors, kidney stones can affect nearly anyone.
How Kidney Stones Form
When urine is too concentrated, the minerals it contains (like calcium, oxalate, and uric acid) crystallize and stick together, forming stones.
These deposits are incredibly painful to pass and may need to be removed through surgery if they get too big.
According to the Mayo clinic, symptoms of kidney stones include:
- Severe pain in the side and back, below the ribs
- Pain that spreads to the lower abdomen and groin
- Pain that comes in waves and fluctuates in intensity
- Pain on urination
- Pink, red or brown urine
- Cloudy or foul-smelling urine
- Nausea and vomiting
- Persistent need to urinate
- Urinating more often than usual
- Fever and chills if an infection is present
- Urinating small amounts of urine
Drinking plenty of water is the most effective way to prevent kidney stones, as water flushes out stone-forming minerals before they get a chance to crystallize (2).
Looking Towards Lemonade For Kidney Stones
One of the ways doctors treat kidney stones is by prescribing potassium citrate.
Since citrate is a derivative of citric acid, natural sources of the acid, like lemons and limes, provide a natural treatment option.
Steven Y. Nakada, chair and professor of urology at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, gave the natural remedy a shot in a lab setting. It worked so well that it’s now a staple of his treatment plan: “When treating patients in our kidney stone center, we put everyone on lemonade therapy,” he says(3).
At a news conference on kidney stone research at the American Urological Association’s annual meeting in Atlanta, Nakada presented the results of his case studies. Nakada found that sugar-free lemonade increased the amount of citrate in his patients’ urine and inhibited the formation of kidney stones.
He hopes that the intervention benefits others too.
“The trend is going to be, if you can make a change in your diet and avoid medications, you are going to try to do that,” Nakada said. “We see lemonade therapy as playing a role [in this trend].”
Fellow researcher David Kang, from Duke University’s Comprehensive Kidney Stone Center, studied the long-term effects of the classic summer drink.
Kang and his team followed 12 patients suffering from chronic kidney stones for 4 years. The patients drank lemonade regularly during this period and experienced a lower incidence of kidney stones.
“None of the patients needed medical intervention over a mean treatment period of four years,” Kang said.
While Kang’s study population is small, it’s very promising. Part of the therapy’s success does involve the citrate in lemons, but its main benefits come from staying hydrated.
“To reduce kidney stones, you have to increase your fluid intake so that you pass 1.5 to 2 liters of urine a day,” said Marshall Stoller, MD, vice chairman of urology and medical director of the urinary stone center at the University of California, San Francisco.
Stoller, Nakada, and Kang have suggestions on what lemonade recipe to use. They recommend mixing 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice with 7 cups of water and a spoonful or two of honey. You should drink the full batch every day, preferably in the morning and evening.
Preventing kidney stones also involves reducing your intake of salt, animal protein, staying hydrated, and skipping out on calcium supplements, which increase the calcium content of your urine.
- 11 Ways Dehydration Could Be Making You Fat And Sick
The average human body is around 70% water. By not drinking enough water we are causing a whole raft of …
- Fatigue, Vitamin Deficiencies, and Diabetes: 7 Health Problems that Your Hands are Warning You About
The eyes may be the windows to the soul but your hands may be the windows to your blood and …
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- How To Use Himalayan Salt Lamps For Better Air, Sleep And Mental Clarity
Himalayan crystal salt is the purest salt available on earth. Hence why it is used a lot for salt lamps. …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- Here’s The Homemade Cannabis Oil Recipe That People Are Using as a Chemo Alternative
People have been increasingly becoming aware of the anti-cancer benefits of cannabis over the last few years. Many studies done …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- 10 High-Protein Vegetables You Need to Start Eating Today
Protein is the building blocks of muscles as well as bone, skin, hair, and nearly every other part of your …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- The Many Benefits of Coriander Seed Oil and How to Use It
Coriander is a savory spice used extensively in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is the seed of the cilantro …
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …
- Teen Invents Bra That Can Save Millions After Mom Nearly Dies Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the main health concerns that women face in this day and age. For many, learning of …