7. Sweet Potato, Avocado & FetaMmuffins
Try these sweet and savory muffins for an on-the-go snack.
- 1 sweet potato(about 200g), peeled and chopped into small chunks
- A drizzle of olive oil
- 1 large avocado, peel and stone removed, roughly chopped (about 150g prepared weight)
- 100g ground almonds
- 100g fine polenta
- 80ml maple syrup
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100ml homemade almond milk
- 50g feta, crumbled, optional
- 2 tbsp mixed seeds
- ¼ tsp sweet paprika
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place the sweet potato in a heatproof bowl, cover with cling film and microwave on High for 8 mins, or until really soft. Leave to cool completely.
- Grease 9 holes of a muffin tin with a little coconut oil.
- Chop 1/4 of the sweet potato into even smaller pieces and set aside.
- Place the sweet potato, avocado, almonds, polenta, maple syrup, eggs, baking powder, bicarb, milk and 1/4 tsp salt in the bowl of a food processor. Blend until completely smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin tin holes, then top with the reserved chopped sweet potato, feta, seeds and a dusting of paprika.
- Bake for 22 mins or until risen, browning on top and cooked through.
- Cool in the tin for 5 mins, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Store in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
8. Chunky Guacamole
You can’t mention avocado recipes without mentioning guacamole! If your avocados aren’t ready, use this hack to ripen them.
- 1 large ripe tomato
- 3 avocado, very ripe but not bruised
- juice 1 large lime
- handful coriander, leaves and stalks chopped, plus a few leaves, roughly chopped, to serve
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 chili, red or green, deseeded and finely chopped
- tortilla chips, to serve
- Use a large knife to pulverize the tomato to a pulp on a board, then tip into a bowl.
- Halve and stone the avocados and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh into the bowl with the tomato.
- Tip all the other ingredients into the bowl, then season with salt and pepper.
- Use a whisk to roughly mash everything together.
- If not serving straight away, cover with cling film and chill until needed.
- Scatter with the coriander and serve.