13. Avocado Grilled Cheese
You’ll go back to American cheese slices ever again!
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 slices sprouted bread, or bread of your choice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato pesto
- ½ avocado, mashed
- 4-5 slices provolone cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, onion powder, garlic powder, kosher salt, dried thyme and mash together.
- Spread onion garlic butter mix on one side of each slice of bread, then flip the bread buttered side down.
- Layer the bottom slice of bread with a few slices of provolone, then add the mashed avocado and the sun-dried tomato pesto. Top with the remaining provolone cheese and the other piece of bread.
- Spread with the butter mixture.
- Place a large non-stick pan on a burner over low and add the olive oil and a bit of the extra butter mixture. Add the sandwich and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden, checking in to see that bread is slowly cooking and doesn’t get too brown.
- Flip sandwich to the other side and cook for 2-3 minutes or until bread is toasty golden and the cheese has melted. The second side will cook faster than the first so watch it carefully.
- Enjoy hot.
14. Avocado Egg Salad
To make it even more interesting, add some chopped green apple and celery.
- 6 eggs hard boiled
- 1-½ ripe avocados peeled and mashed
- 1-1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or lime juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- Add the eggs to a medium-sized pot and cover with a few inches of water. Cover and place on high heat. Bring water to a full (but gentle) boil and cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Drain the water and immediately run cold water over the eggs. Transfer eggs to an ice bath and allow eggs to chill for 10 minutes.
- Refrigerate eggs until ready to use.
- Peel and roughly chop the hard boiled eggs.
- Add the avocado to a mixing bowl with the lemon juice and sea salt.
- Mash the avocado, leaving it slightly chunky if desired. Add the chopped hard boiled eggs and stir well to combine.
- Eat on toasted bread with watercress or greens of choice.
15. Paleo Chicken Stuffed Avocado
This recipe makes the perfect companion to a large salad or a buffet-style dinner.
- 1 pound chicken
- 4 medium-sized avocados
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Chicken broth
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 can (14oz) coconut milk
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 4 small limes, juiced
- Sautee 4 cloves of garlic with about 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium/high heat in a wide-base pan with a fitting lid.
- Once the garlic is browned, either leave in pan or scoop out and discard
- Wash, dry, and season the chicken with a pinch of kosher salt.
- Sautee each side in the seasoned oil over medium/high heat for about 2 minutes.
- Cover the chicken tenders with chicken stock, put the lid on the pan, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and place in a bowl. Shred using two forks or a stand mixer.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, and the black pepper to the shredded chicken.
- Stir it together.
- Halve and de-seed four avocados. Lay them out on a parchment paper or aluminum foil lined baking sheet.
- Stuff each avocado half with the chicken then bake for about 5 minutes at 400 F.
- For the cream sauce, stir one can of full-fat coconut milk with the lime juice and cilantro.
- After the avocados are finished, pull out of the oven, plate, and drizzle with the cream sauce.
16. Chickpea Salad Stuffed Avocado
This recipe serves two and it’s vegan!
- 1 Cup chickpeas (well-cooked or sprouted)
- 1 Small clove of garlic, minced (optional)
- 1/2 Cup grated carrot
- 1 Green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp Olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Lime juice
- 1 tsp Tamari
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Black pepper
- 1 Large avocado
- 1/4 Cup Fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Roughly mash the chickpeas in a bowl using a strong fork. I like to leave about half whole.
- Stir in garlic through to pepper.
- Slice the avocado(s) in half, remove the pit and scoop out the flesh from each half with a spoon.
- Dice the avocado flesh into small cubes. Mash half of the avocado into the chickpea mixture then gently fold in the rest along with the fresh coriander.
- Spoon the mixture into the empty avocado skins and serve immediately.
17. Avocado Strawberry Salad
Sweet, slightly bitter, and acidic, this salad combines strong, complimentary flavors to excite your palate.
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 avocado, diced (or you can double this to 2 avocados!)
- 4 ounces crumbled gorgonzola or blue cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- half a small red onion, thinly sliced
- poppyseed dressing (recipe below)
- 1/2 cup avocado oil (or any oil, such as olive oil)
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- pinch of ground dry mustard (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together until combined.
- Toss all the salad ingredients together with your desired amount of dressing until combined. Serve immediately.