Everybody gets a sweet tooth every once in a while, but it’s easy for these cravings to develop into full-blown addictions. This is where a 3-day sugar detox comes in.
You may have noticed that when your sugar craving is satisfied, it doesn’t take long for another craving to take its place. As you eat more and more sugar, these sweet tooth moments are harder to satisfy and the time between cravings gets shorter. If your life seems to be run by sugar, it may be time to break your addiction.
Harmful Effects of Sugar
Sugar addiction may seem strange, but it’s very real. The neuropathways in your brain that are activated when you eat sugar are the same as those that light up when your take drugs. This is what makes you feel good and energized after eating sugar (1).
Unfortunately, high sugar consumption actually kills more people than illegal substances because of awful health conditions the sweetener causes.
Skin: Perhaps one of the most outwardly obvious side effects of high sugar consumption is having grey or pasty skin, wrinkles or sagging skin.
Heart disease : The more calories you get from sugar every day, the higher your overall risk of morbidity. In fact, one study published in the JAMA: Internal Medicine, people who got 17-21% of calories from added sugar had a 38% higher risk of dying from cardiovascular disease compared than those who consumed 8% of their calories from added sugar (2).
One of the reasons for this is because sugar raises your cholesterol levels and contributes to debilitating conditions like non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
Diabetes : High consumption of sugary foods and processed sugars leads to an increased risk of developing insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. Researchers from Imperial College of London found that drinking one can of soda can raise our risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 22% (3).Brain function : glucose powers the brain, but too much of it can cause depression, learning disorders, and impaired memory function. Just a mild elevation of blood sugar of 105-110 increases your risk of dementia (4).
On the other hand, insulin resistance starves the brain of sugar and contributes to the development of Alzheimer’s disease (5).
Cancer: Unfortunately, glucose actually feeds cancerous cells. By being a pro-inflammatory ingredient, sugar also encourages cancer proliferation.
3-Day Sugar Detox No Sweets Cleanse
Follow this 3-day sugar detox cleanse to break free from your addiction.
It’s important to eat only what’s listed bellow and avoid sugar, sweets and processed foods after the cleanse. Instead, replace candies with fresh fruits and artificial sweeteners with natural options like honey and maple syrup.
- Breakfast: 1 cup of oatmeal with blueberries, walnuts and chia seeds.
- Snack: 1 small bowl of mixed nuts.
- Lunch: Lean protein with steamed butternut squash, carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips, beans, and almonds.
- Dinner: broiled fish with a bowl of green beans, broccoli and mushrooms.
- Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with spinach.
- Mid-morning snack: a small bowl of nuts;
- Lunch: grilled zucchini, yellow and red peppers with a lemon, vinegar, and thyme dressing OR a shredded red and green cabbage salad with shredded carrots and a olive oil, lemon, salt and parsley vinaigrette.
- Dinner: steamed cruciferous vegetable with vegetable casserole and bean soup OR baked cod with roasted Brussels sprouts, bok choy and turnips.
- Breakfast: 3 eggs shrimp omelette with a sautéed kale, walnut, and radish salad.
- Mid-morning snack: 1 small bowl of nuts.
- Lunch: roasted chicken thighs with rosemary, lemon, and sage OR oven-roasted chicken with onion, black olives, and thyme.
- Dinner: forest mushrooms, celery and carrots, with garlic broth, onion, thyme and bay leaves OR brown rice pasta with mushrooms, tomato, and basil meat sauce.
Sugar Detox Drinks
Instead of sugary drinks, drink more water and hot drinks. For example, drink unsweetened herbal (peppermint works well) or green tea 3 times per day, with meals. You can still drink coffee, but limit yourself to one cup of black coffee a day.
You can also drink infused water made with grapefruits, berries, strawberries, or oranges and fragrant herbs like mint or rosemary to make it more palatable. Drink several glasses a day.