Sugar addiction is no joke – there’s compelling scientific evidence that addiction to refined sugar can be just as serious as addiction to “hard” drugs like heroin and cocaine.
Sugar dependence has been observed in animal models, and the components of addiction – bingeing, withdrawal, craving, and cross-sensitization – are all present with regards to excessive sugar consumption(1).
While many people might dismiss the idea that sugar can be an addictive substance, the negative impacts of an unhealthy relationship with food, especially sugary food, can be severe – including obesity and type 2 diabetes, not to mention the possibility of complicating existing conditions like irritable bowel syndrome.
It’s easy to see that reducing your sugar intake is the smart thing to do – but that doesn’t mean it’s the easiest.
Fortunately, there are many natural tools we have at our disposal when it comes to kicking our sugar habit to the curb.
Peppermint oil is just one of these natural tools – when used externally, it has all sorts of benefits, some of which may include helping us overcome a dependency on sugar.
See also: Reversing diabetes Type-2
The Effects Of Peppermint Oil
Sugar withdrawal can leave you with any number of symptoms, from weakness to cravings to indigestion as your body adjusts to a new diet.
Peppermint oil has been shown to make people feel stronger and more “well”, improving athletic performance significantly in clinical trials(2) – an effect which may no doubt benefit anyone who is also struggling to overcome the effects of a substance dependency.
Peppermint oil has an effect on your blood pressure, heart rate, and even audio and visual reaction times – all of which can feel “off” when you’re giving up a food you’ve depended on for energy.
Then there’s the effect that changing your diet can have on your stomach. Going off sugar can cause more than just cravings – any abrupt change in your diet can have an impact on your digestion and leave you feeling less than your best.
Fortunately, peppermint oil can help with that, too – it’s even used to help treat indigestion and stomach pain in individuals with irritable bowel syndrome(3).
Read more: okra water for diabetes
How To Use Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil is an essential oil which should never be ingested – instead, it’s used topically. To use peppermint oil to treat sugar craving, indigestion, and other physical symptoms of sugar withdrawal, simply follow these steps:
- Apply drops of peppermint oil to your temples and to the insides of your wrists.
- Repeat this every morning and evening.
- Inhale the peppermint oil directly using a diffuser.
You can find essential oil diffusers at most drug stores, and peppermint oil is readily available at drugstores or health food stores.
- Study Finds Olive Leaf Extract Useful in Diabetes Management
Researchers with the University of Auckland, New Zealand have taken folk medicine to the lab to test the effectiveness of …
- Short, High-Intensity Exercise Improves Insulin Production In People With Type 2 Diabetes
In previous studies, aerobic exercise is shown to improve beta-cell function and insulin production in diabetics. However, many Type 2 …
- Chlorella and Diabetes: How Algae Improves Insulin Sensitivity
Chlorella, which is widely known as a super food, boasts a variety of health benefits. It improves immune function, aids …
- 3 Easy Salad Recipes To Help Control Diabetes
Do you ever feel tired right after eating? Do you feel lethargic and feel like you need to take a …
- Top 5 Diabetes Superfoods You Should Be Eating
Even though we live in a pill-popping, drug-oriented culture, more and more people are starting to realize that food is …
- 10 Early Warning Signs of Diabetes That You Don’t Know But Should
Right now, without even realizing it, your body could be sending you warnings signs of diabetes. Current statistics show that …
- Unhealthy Bacteria In The Colon Can Disrupt Your Metabolism And Lead To Type 2 Diabetes
The intestines are often referred to as the 2nd brain for its influence on our mental and physical health, and …
- 12 Worst Foods to Avoid With Diabetes To Prevent High Blood Sugar and Weight Gain
Diabetes in the United States is growing at an alarming rate, affecting more than 29 million Americans, based on current …
- 6 Unexpected Foods That Help Support Healthy Blood Sugar Levels
For people living with diabetes, it can seem like there’s no end to the number of factors that can influence …
- 8 Foods to Avoid with Diabetes
Diabetes is one disease that directly affects diet, and it often leaves diabetics wondering what they can eat. However, even …
- Suffering From Diabetes? Just Boil These Leaves And Solve Your Problem Without Medications!
Diabetes is one of the most common conditions to affect Americans today. In 2012, 29.1 million Americans, or 9.3% of …
- Type I Diabetic No Longer Insulin Dependent With Bioengineered ‘Pancreas’
In what is considered the biggest breakthrough in diabetic treatment since the invention of injectable insulin, a Type I diabetic …
- How To Make Okra Water To Support Healthy Blood Sugar Levels
Okra is a comfort food in some parts of the world – often served battered and fried, it nevertheless has numerous …
- 7 Herbal and Natural Foods for Diabetes
Diabetes is considered as a disease in which the deficiency or excess of blood sugar causes other health problems. This …
- 6 Common and Affordable Foods That Can Help You Manage Your Blood Sugar Levels
Diabetes is a group of disorders which affect the blood sugar levels, either through an auto-immune dysfunction where the immune …