If you’ve never taken the time to appreciate all the health benefits of water, now may just be the right time to do that.
Water is the source of life and one of the best things you can drink to quench your thirst.
Making sure to drink enough water every day ensures proper functioning of your metabolism, gives you better skin complexion and boosts energy levels.
With no calories, water is also an excellent drink for dieters. In fact one study showed that drinking two 8-ounce cups of water before every meal can improve weight loss.
“Over the course of 12 weeks, dieters who drank water before meals, three times per day, lost about 5 pounds more than dieters who did not increase their water intake.” (1)
Are You Drinking Enough Water or Too Much?
While water is good for you, too much of it can also be deadly.
Here are a few tips to help calculate your required daily water intake. This will give you an idea of how much water you really need.
1. Know your weight
The volume of water you require is dependent on your overall body weight.
It only makes sense that a person weighing 80 pounds would not be expected to consume as much as a person weighing 300 pounds.
2. Divide your body weight in half
Divide your weight by half to find out how many ounces of water you should drink each day.
For example, if you weigh 150 pounds: 1/2 = 75 ounces. So for someone who weighs 150 pounds, drinking 75 ounces of water per day would be optimal.
3. Activity Levels
Are you sitting at your desk all day long? Do you exercise?
Maybe you are an athlete and you are always working out at the gym or on the tracks.
Whatever your lifestyle may be you should understand that it will greatly affect the volume of water you would be expected to consume on a daily basis.
If you are a very active person, chances are that you tend to sweat often and a great deal at that.
It is recommended that you should add 12 ounces of water to your daily total for every 30 minutes that you work out. So if you work out for 1 hour daily, you would add 24 ounces of water to your daily intake.
Keeping It Simple
If you are not too keen on keeping tabs on how much water you drink, you can do the following.
- Drink 2 cups of water (16 ounces) before every meal. This gives you 48 ounces a day.
- Every morning when you get up drink a glass of water.
- Drink another glass 2 hours before going to bed.
- Carry your own non-plastic water bottle.
Doing these things will make sure that you get plenty of water each day.
And even if you didn’t drink all that water, keep in mind that eating fruits and vegetables also contribute to your overall water intake (2). For quick reference 30g = 1oz. (source)
- 4 Little-Known Benefits of Berberine (Very Few Know About This Amazing Alkaloid)
If you’ve never heard about berberine, you’re totally missing out! It has been around for hundreds of years and used …
- Eating at Home Vs. Eating Out. 4 Compelling Reasons To Cook Your Own Meals.
How many meals per week are you eating away from home? Over the last 40 years, more and more people …
- Here’s 600 Proven Reasons Why Turmeric May Be The World’s Most Important Herb
(originally written by Sayer Ji) There is a medicinal spice so timelessly interwoven with the origins of human culture and metabolism, so …
- 5 Greens You’ve Probably Never Tried But Should
Bored of the same Old Leafy Greens? Then Mix things up & try these 5 Unusual Greens! OK – so …
- 4 Amazing Benefits You Probably Don’t Know About Asparagus
This cruciferous vegetable is an excellent source of calcium, magnesium, beta- carotene, and vitamin B6, among other important nutrients, and …
- Study Finds That Taking Turmeric Juice Is Equivalent To 60 Minutes Of Exercise
The more researchers learn about turmeric’s healing abilities, the more they take interest in the spice. As it stands, there …
- 20 Foods To Alkalize Your Body And Remove Acid Build-Up
Ever wonder why refined grains and processed sugars make you feel sluggish after eating? The answer may lie in where …
- The 5 Worst Sweeteners That Kill Your Liver And Their Natural Alternatives
Glucose is your brain’s favourite food (1). It’s also an important source of fuel for your whole body. Your body produces …
- Eat More Red Onions: It Kills Cancer Cells, Stops Nosebleeds And Protects The Heart
Onions—you either like them or you hate them. Well, the jury is in and according to a 2010 Business Wire …
- 6 Signs That You’re On a Good Diet
(originally written by David Sciola) Being of a Paleo persuasion, there are many foods I completely avoid that other diets …
- What Happens When You Start Drinking Golden Milk Every Night Before Bed
It’s not uncommon to drink a warm cup of milk before bed. It is, after all, what “grandma” always recommended …
- 8 Healthy Food Swaps Worth Trying
Original article written by Natasha Longo, comments by Daily Health Post. You don’t have to sacrifice taste when switching to a …
- Surprising Health Benefits of Purple Potatoes
Most of us are used to seeing and eating the typical white or yellow fleshed potatoes. You may even eat …
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Big Brand Mayo And How To Make Your Own Healthy Version!
Mayonnaise can be found in almost every kitchen across the country. It can be used in sandwiches to guacamole to chocolate cake! Some women …
- Top 10 Worst Things That Can Happen When You Run Out Of These Important Nutrients
No matter who you are, your body needs a variety of vitamins and minerals to stay up and running. If …