If you’ve never taken the time to appreciate all the health benefits of water, now may just be the right time to do that.
Water is the source of life and one of the best things you can drink to quench your thirst.
Making sure to drink enough water every day ensures proper functioning of your metabolism, gives you better skin complexion and boosts energy levels.
With no calories, water is also an excellent drink for dieters. In fact one study showed that drinking two 8-ounce cups of water before every meal can improve weight loss.
“Over the course of 12 weeks, dieters who drank water before meals, three times per day, lost about 5 pounds more than dieters who did not increase their water intake.” (1)
Are You Drinking Enough Water or Too Much?
While water is good for you, too much of it can also be deadly.
Here are a few tips to help calculate your required daily water intake. This will give you an idea of how much water you really need.
1. Know your weight
The volume of water you require is dependent on your overall body weight.
It only makes sense that a person weighing 80 pounds would not be expected to consume as much as a person weighing 300 pounds.
2. Divide your body weight in half
Divide your weight by half to find out how many ounces of water you should drink each day.
For example, if you weigh 150 pounds: 1/2 = 75 ounces. So for someone who weighs 150 pounds, drinking 75 ounces of water per day would be optimal.
3. Activity Levels
Are you sitting at your desk all day long? Do you exercise?
Maybe you are an athlete and you are always working out at the gym or on the tracks.
Whatever your lifestyle may be you should understand that it will greatly affect the volume of water you would be expected to consume on a daily basis.
If you are a very active person, chances are that you tend to sweat often and a great deal at that.
It is recommended that you should add 12 ounces of water to your daily total for every 30 minutes that you work out. So if you work out for 1 hour daily, you would add 24 ounces of water to your daily intake.
Keeping It Simple
If you are not too keen on keeping tabs on how much water you drink, you can do the following.
- Drink 2 cups of water (16 ounces) before every meal. This gives you 48 ounces a day.
- Every morning when you get up drink a glass of water.
- Drink another glass 2 hours before going to bed.
- Carry your own non-plastic water bottle.
Doing these things will make sure that you get plenty of water each day.
And even if you didn’t drink all that water, keep in mind that eating fruits and vegetables also contribute to your overall water intake (2). For quick reference 30g = 1oz. (source)
- 7 Day Alkaline Diet Plan to Fight Inflammation and Disease
Although the alkaline diet may seem like the latest celebrity craze, you shouldn’t dismiss it so quickly. Forget how you …
- Dietary Supplements with DMAA Ruled Dangerous by FDA
The FDA has ruled DMAA, a common dietary and exercise supplement, to be unsafe, but it’s still on the market. …
- Top 5 Worst Cooking Oils for Your Heart, Brain, and Skin
Let’s face it: Americans love fried foods. Whether it’s a delicious funnel cake from the county fair or an order …
- Eat 3 Dates Daily And These 6 Things Will Happen!
Just like other dried healthy snacks, if you eat dates on a daily basis, you will get tremendous health benefits. …
- After Reading This, You’ll Never Look At Beets The Same Way Again
Beets are one of the most underappreciated root vegetables around the world. Colorful, acidic, and nutrient-dense, beets make a wonderful …
- 20 Foods To Alkalize Your Body And Remove Acid Build-Up
Ever wonder why refined grains and processed sugars make you feel sluggish after eating? The answer may lie in where …
- Can’t Afford Organic All The Time? No Worries, These 15 Foods Have Virtually No Pesticides!
Foods that are pesticides free – Accessibility? While many health-conscious shoppers choose to buy organic produce, the reality is that …
- Vitamin D Deficiency Linked To Depression, Pain, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, And Breast Cancer
Sunshine is the best way to get all the vitamin D you need. UVA rays may tan your skin, but …
- 1 TBSP of Apple Cider Vinegar For 60 Days Can Eliminate These Health Problems
Vinegar is definitely not a new substance. It has been in existence since at least 5000 BC when the Babylonians …
- Post-Workout: When and What To Drink
A post-workout meal or drink is highly recommended after an intensive exercise bout, such as an hour of swimming practice, …
- Why You Should Drink Water On An Empty Stomach Immediately After Waking Up
Drinking water immediately after waking up is a popular ritual in Japan. The Japanese believe that drinking water first thing …
- How To Eat Papaya Seeds To Heal Your Liver, Kidneys And Digestive Tract
Papaya isn’t very popular in the United States. But as the benefits below will attest, incorporating the fruits into your …
- Use This Medicine Once a Year and Forget About Diseases
Garlic is one of the oldest and most widely used functional foods on the planet. With over 7,000 years of …
- Eating Processed Junk Food Makes You Fat and Lazy, Study Suggests
What you eat affects everything about you: energy level, mood, how you look, and overall health. If you pay attention, …
- Top 27 Alkaline Foods On The Planet (Eat More To Prevent Cancer, Obesity and Heart Disease)
The western lifestyle has prioritized convenience over quality in many aspect of everyday life. This is what’s led countless of …