Brace yourself. In brief, here are the statistics for the prevalence of diabetes in North America.
United States: 9.3% of the population has been diagnosed with diabetes, including children. In Canada, it’s 6.8%.
There are 1.6 million new reported cases of diabetes in North America every year and the rate is rising.
Add to that the number of people with “pre-diabetes”, i.e., those with higher-than-normal blood sugar levels but not yet high enough to be classified as Type 2 diabetes (but at high risk for crossing over that line): 92,000,000—thats 92 MILLION people in the two countries.(1, 2, 3)
Type 2 Diabetes Is Preventable.
The vast majority of people are not born with a faulty pancreas.
We hammer this little organ over time until it just can’t keep up with the abuse.
There are pills for diabetes, prescriptions your doctor can write that seem to alleviate its effects, and drug companies are assiduously working on others because the market demand is definitely there (see statistics above—that’s a lotta potential revenue).
Last year, the Food and Drug Administration issued a new warning for several diabetes drugs that have been available for many years.
Then there’s synthetic insulin that we inject to supplement what our hampered bodies can naturally produce. A 2014 joint study of the efficacy and impacts on wellness of diabetes therapies conducted by the University College of London, University of Michigan, and Ann Arbor Veterans Hospital concluded:
“In many cases, insulin treatment may not do anything to add to the person’s quality life expectancy. Ultimately, the aim of a treatment is not to lower blood sugar for its own sake but to prevent debilitating or deadly complications. If the risk of these complications is suitably low and the burden of treatment correspondingly high, treatment will do more harm than good.”(1)
We opt for conventional therapies to avoid lifestyle change and to afford us the ability to eat whatever we choose to eat.
Whoop! There it is: Choice.
According to T.H. Chan of the Harvard School of Public Health:
“If type 2 diabetes was an infectious disease, passed from one person to another, public health officials would say we’re in the midst of an epidemic. This difficult disease, once called adult-onset diabetes, is striking an ever-growing number of adults.
Even more alarming, it’s now beginning to show up in teenagers and children. The good news is that type 2 diabetes is largely preventable.
About 9 cases in 10 could be avoided by taking several simple steps: keeping weight under control, exercising more, eating a healthy diet, and not smoking.”(2)
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which the body becomes insensitive to insulin (distinguishable from Type 1 in which the pancreas stops producing insulin and gestational diabetes, which is most often temporary and attributable to natural hormone changes during pregnancy).
Because insulin insensitivity is acquired, there are ways to reverse the condition by changing the environment inside the body and promoting healing of the pancreas. These are accomplished very simply by getting off the couch and changing what we eat.
What To Eat
There are many foods known to control blood sugar, support insulin production, and stimulate chemical reactions to make cells more sensitive to insulin—this is a very small sample:
- Apple cider vinegar
- Bitter melon juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Green tea
What Not to Eat
- Artificial sweeteners – they may say they’re safer than refined or natural sugar for diabetics but they’re not
- Coffee drinks with syrups or sugar
- Fried foods
- Frozen meals
- Processed meat
- Store-bought baked goods
Maybe surprisingly, the order in which you eat different foods affects how quickly your body can regulate blood sugar levels. Eat vegetables and proteins before any complex carbohydrates.
Here are two juice recipes to help you take charge of your health and your life.
Spinach and Celery Juice
Ingredients (all organic):
- 3 handfuls of spinach
- 1 green apple
- 1 cucumber
- 2 celery stalks with leaves
- 1 carrot
- Wash and peel the carrot and wash and core the apple.
- Mix the carrot and the apple along with the spinach and celery.
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and whip until smooth.
Why it works:
Spinach contains magnesium—a mineral that regulates blood sugar levels.
Celery is rich in potassium, necessary for carbohydrate metabolism.
The fiber in green apple doesn’t break down as readily as other varieties of apple, promoting the elimination of toxins, supporting healthy bacteria growth in the digestive system, and promoting weight loss.
Grape and Orange Juice
Ingredients (all organic) – this recipe will make four servings to share with friends and should be drunk immediately after blending. To make one serving, quarter the recipe:
- ½ cup fresh black grape juice
- ¾ cup apples, finely chopped
- 1 cup orange pieces, finely chopped (try including the rind for additional nutrition)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Club soda (optional; if you add it, make sure it’s true club soda—containing only water and sodium bicarbonate [baking soda])
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and mix on high until smooth.
- Divide the mixture into 4 tall glasses.
- Fill glasses with soda.
Why it works:
Red grapes’ skins contain anthocyanin, a flavonoid anti-oxidant that has been found to decrease risk of developing diabetes. The other ingredients provide lots of vitamin C (which prevents sugar from accumulating in the kidneys), fiber, and flavor.
Why not choose to feel good, look good, and live well and longer—telling the pharmaceutical companies to take that syringe and stick it?
- What Happens When You Drink Banana And Cinnamon One Hour Before Going To Sleep
Sleep disorders are extremely prevalent all over the world. The American Academy of Sleep Medicine published an article specifically about insomnia …
- 7 Easy Ways To Quickly Unclog Your Lymph Nodes To Reduce Swelling And Flush Out Toxins
You are probably familiar with the term “lymph glands (nodes).” There are hundreds (600-700) of lymph nodes scattered throughout your body. …
- 18 Surprisingly Effective Gardening Tricks That Keep Away Pests, Fight Disease And Improve Your Soil
Buying organic food all the time can quickly get expensive, so why not grow your own natural produce at home? …
- How To Get Rid of Excess Water Weight In 3 Days
There are many reasons why your body holds on to excess water weight. It doesn’t do this to spite you. In …
- Is Pollution Increasing Your Cancer Risk?
Researchers continue to find that exposure to certain pollutants can cause cancer… and some areas in the United States are …
- It’s Easy to Grow a Mint Plant – Here Are 15 Reasons Why You Should
Mint is one of those versatile herbs that lends its flavor to a huge variety of foods. Growing a mint …
- 5 Toxins That Destroy Your Thyroid And a Simple Drink To Save It
Your thyroid secretes hormones that regulate the metabolism of every cell in the body (1). It plays an important role in: …
- Solar Panel Farm Grows 17,000 Tons Of Food Without Soil, Pesticides, Fossil Fuels Or Groundwater
Farming is probably the world’s oldest profession and something that is obviously universal to every culture and race in the …
- Everything You Need To Know About Delayed Drowning And What To Look Out For!
Swimming is one of the greatest pleasures of the warmer months. For children, a swimming pool can be the source …
- Top 10 Ways To Use Coconut Oil To Protect Your Hair And Skin From Harsh Cosmetic Products
Coconut Oil rocks on its own. It’s a serious “jack of all trades” that can easily be used for your hair …
- Germany to Legalize Medical Marijuana Next Year
Germany recently passed legislation authorizing the use of cannabis for medical use, following suit of nineteen other countries that have decriminalized …
- New Bird Flu Scare Hits China: Are You At Risk?
A new strain of bird flu has broken out in China, with deaths already multiplying as local officials attempt to stem …
- How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar To Dissolve Kidney Stones
Kidney stones (renal lithiasis, nephrolithiasis) are small, hard deposits that form inside your kidneys. The stones are made of mineral …
- 12 Types of Pain That Are Directly Linked To Emotional States
You may have noticed that people who are often ill tend to be pretty negative. Of course, it’s hard to …
- 6 Home Remedies For Nasal Congestion That Will Give You Instant Relief
There’s nothing more annoying than not being able to breathe properly. People living with seasonal allergies know this all to …