Your mother probably used to yell from the kitchen, “turn off that idiot box!” What great advice, for more reasons than she realized.
We are all fully aware that a sedentary lifestyle is not a healthy one.
The more time you spend sitting, the worse for your health.
It is all too easy—and has become a habit for many—to turn on the television in the morning when we get up and have it on until (or even as) we go to sleep.
There’s TV in stores and restaurants. Watching television has become the national pastime. And it’s killing us. A study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine concluded:
“The amount of TV viewed in Australia in 2008 reduced life expectancy at birth by 1.8 years…for men and 1.5 years…for women. Compared with persons who watch no TV, those who spend a lifetime average of 6 h/day watching TV can expect to live 4.8 years…less. On average, every single hour of TV viewed after the age of 25 reduces the viewer’s life expectancy by 21.8…min…TV viewing time may be associated with a loss of life that is comparable to other major chronic disease risk factors such as physical inactivity and obesity.”
There isn’t one reason why TV advances mortality—it’s a complex pathology.
- Time spent while watching means less time being physically active.
- TV has a depressant effect, causing lethargy and apathy.
- People are likely to crave the food advertised on television, all of which is processed or alcoholic.
- Often, people eat while watching; the distraction causes overeating.
- Time spent watching means less social interaction, which is important for overall health as well.
More specific research associated watching TV with cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and “all-cause mortality”:
“The dose-response analysis revealed a linear increase in risk with the number of hours per day of TV viewing for both type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease; the association with all-cause mortality appeared stronger with TV viewing time of greater than 3 hours per day.”
Yet another study on television’s effect on children published by the American Academy of Pediatrics is equally disturbing:
“Research has shown primary negative health effects on violence and aggressive behavior; sexuality; academic performance; body concept and self-image; nutrition, dieting, and obesity; and substance use and abuse patterns.”
Further, increased and consistent TV viewing has been correlated with depression. There are indications that watching TV actually lowers your IQ and hampers verbal development and critical thinking.
It has become increasingly clear that, while modern technology and electronics can enhance our lives and the availability of information can be overwhelming and addictive, too much works against us. If you want more healthy time to enjoy the real things in life, turn off the idiot box.[mks_toggle title=”sources” state=”close “]
- Dentists Develop New Treatment That Reverses Tooth Decay Naturally
For many people the thought of the dentist holds a sense of dread, especially when it comes to the drilling …
- Just a Single Powerful Kitchen Spice To Fix Obesity, Diabetes, Insomnia And Detox Liver
Cumin is a big part of Indian and Chinese cuisine. As with most spices used by these cultures, cumin is …
- How Toxic Is Your Neighborhood’s Air? This Map Knows for Sure.
Technology and humans have a two-way action/reaction relationship. Sometimes technological capacity influences our lives and sometimes we endeavor to devise means …
- Top 10 Health Scams You Need To Avoid
Every now and then you’ll come across a “magical” or “amazing” product that will help you lose weight, fight disease, …
- Detoxify Your Body Immediately If You Notice Any Of These 9 Warning Signs
Why is it important to detoxify your body? Even if you eat healthy most of the time, you can’t avoid …
- The Ultimate Detox Bath
We unknowingly put a lot of toxins in our bodies. Pollution, stress and other factors create this combination that makes …
- 8 Foods To Flush Out Nicotine From Your Body
If you’re trying to quit smoking, eating more fruits and vegetables will make you three times more likely to succeed. via …
- The Simple Eye Test To Tell If Your Adrenals Are Fatigued And What To Do IMMEDIATELY If They Are!
We are all faced with an incredible amount of pressure in our day to day life. Pressure to be the …
- Indian State Will Pay Farmers To Go 100% Organic And GMO-Free
Organic food has taken the world by storm. And while some countries are riding the wave with very little regulation, …
- What You Need to Know Before You Reuse That Plastic Water Bottle
In an effort to be responsible and thrifty, you may reuse a plastic water bottle over and over gain. Why …
- Eat This Much Turmeric Every Day To Treat Depression Better Than Prozac
Everyone experiences depression at some point in their life. It’s inevitable. It’s part of what makes us human. When depression …
- 10 Warning Signs That Your Heart Is Having Problems Doing Its Job
Exercise, cutting back on smoking, and becoming more fit can all help improve blood circulation. If you think this might …
- 1 Spoonful of This Superfood Every Day Fights Deadly Yeast Infections
When you think of a coconut, you probably picture tropical beaches and swaying palm trees, but this mighty food (also …
- Everything You Need to Know About Adrenal Fatigue
Your health is on a continuum. On one end you have optimal health, and on the other, you have chronic …
- Yikes! This Medical Condition Can Cut Your Life Short by as Much as 8 Years
Researchers say extremely obese people can expect to die about eight years earlier than healthier people. The study, conducted by …