Do you often experience an energy crash in the early morning or afternoon?
Do you feel sleepy even after a full night’s rest?
If so, you may be experiencing the effects of interrupted sleep.
While there are many things that can keep you from catching all your z’s, the most common cause of daytime sleepiness is sleep apnea.
What Is Sleep Apnea?
These pauses can last from a few seconds to even a few minutes and may occur up to 30 times an hour during your slumber. Breathing then restarts with a loud snore or choking sound. This interruption in your breathing actually drives you out of deep sleep and into light sleep, where you’re more likely to be woken up by strange noises or bodily needs.
Sleep apnea is a chronic condition, meaning that it’s likely to disturb your sleep nearly every night. Because it affects sleep quality, sleep apnea can cause daytime sleepiness, inability to focus, and even weight gain and illness (2).
In fact, the condition is known to cause high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, and diabetes.
How Your Muscles Come Into Play
Sitting all day at your desk isn’t great for your body.
In fact, prolonged sitting actually shortens your lifespan and leaves you more prone to infection and disease. It also takes its toll on your muscles, which can become atrophied or over-stressed from your stiff posture and lack of movement.
Your psoas muscles connect your groin to your pelvis and low back and stabilize your spine and align your body (3).
Long periods of sitting actually shorten this muscle, causing back pain, hip pain and posture problems.
What’s more, your hip flexors are connected to your diaphragm, the chief muscle that allows you to fill your lungs with air. Hence, your psoas muscles can impair your ability to breathe deeply not only during the day but at night too. Without deep breaths, it’s almost impossible for you body to be relaxed.
Luckily, there’s a quick stretch you can do to loosen them up before bed for a nice, restful sleep.
2- Minute Sleep Apnea Home Remedy
- A Padded mat
- A wall
- A yoga block or large book
- Lay on your back and place your left foot flat on the wall. Let the block support your pelvis.
- Fold your right knee and draw it into your chest, hugging it with your arms.
- Hold for one minute.
- Switch sides and repeat.
Practice before bed for best results.
- 4 Foods that can Fight Depression
An estimated 1-in-10 Americans take antidepressants. That’s a shocking number of people relying on Big Pharma remedies for something that can be …
- How to Heal Cavities Naturally
The world is slowly waking up to the fact that, when you give the body what it needs, it can …
- The Reason You Wake up in the Middle of the Night Isn’t Insomnia (and How to Fix It)
We know by now the importance of sleep for the brain, body, and overall health. Sleep research has found that …
- 14 Natural Antibiotics To Fight Infection, And What Drug Companies Don’t Want You To Know
14 of the best time-tested natural antibiotics used to kill bacteria and reverse life threatening infections. Antibiotics can be lifesavers: …
- 10 Herbs To Boost The Immune System
These 10 immune supportive plants will ensure that all those nasty colds and flus going around don’t end up in …
- 9 Signs of a Leaky Gut (and how to Heal it)
The gut is the gateway to health. If your gut is healthy, chances are that you’re in good health. However, …
- 9 Anxiety Symptoms That Go Under The Radar and How to Handle it
Anxiety symptoms manifest in literally hundreds of ways. They can range from an extreme nervousness to chest pains and shortness …
- 5 Ways to Naturally Boost Testosterone
As we’ve discussed before, testosterone is a big-deal hormone for men looking to increase their muscle mass, maintain high levels …
- 10 Superfoods That Fight The Common Cold
With winter getting underway throughout the US, humanity’s oldest enemy – the common cold – is likely to make itself …
- 5 Ways To Keep Healthy Eyes in a Digital World
Did you know that 1 out of every 8 people in the United States has a common eye disease? That’s …
- This Turmeric Lemonade Is Better At Treating Depression Than Prozac
Turmeric is one of the most potent natural cure-all. Turmeric lemonade will give you a good daily dose of turmeric. …
- 3 Surprising Ways Green Tea Can Help Treat Acne
Green tea has been proven highly beneficial in the treatment of acne, comparable to a 4% benzoyl peroxide treatment without …
- This Type of Exercise Can Boost Brain Power
You may not know it, but exercising can have remarkable effects on the brain. Recent studies have shown a number …
- Two Cans of Soda Drink a Day May Hurt Kidneys, Study Suggests
A study carried out on employees at a University in Japan has found that those who drank two or more …
- 12 Natural Tips To Reduce Hormonal Acne Breakout
“Hormonal acne” isn’t a particular type of acne—it’s just plain old acne. Some refer to the skin condition as “hormonal” …