Do you often experience an energy crash in the early morning or afternoon?
Do you feel sleepy even after a full night’s rest?
If so, you may be experiencing the effects of interrupted sleep.
While there are many things that can keep you from catching all your z’s, the most common cause of daytime sleepiness is sleep apnea.
What Is Sleep Apnea?
These pauses can last from a few seconds to even a few minutes and may occur up to 30 times an hour during your slumber. Breathing then restarts with a loud snore or choking sound. This interruption in your breathing actually drives you out of deep sleep and into light sleep, where you’re more likely to be woken up by strange noises or bodily needs.
Sleep apnea is a chronic condition, meaning that it’s likely to disturb your sleep nearly every night. Because it affects sleep quality, sleep apnea can cause daytime sleepiness, inability to focus, and even weight gain and illness (2).
In fact, the condition is known to cause high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, and diabetes.
How Your Muscles Come Into Play
Sitting all day at your desk isn’t great for your body.
In fact, prolonged sitting actually shortens your lifespan and leaves you more prone to infection and disease. It also takes its toll on your muscles, which can become atrophied or over-stressed from your stiff posture and lack of movement.
Your psoas muscles connect your groin to your pelvis and low back and stabilize your spine and align your body (3).
Long periods of sitting actually shorten this muscle, causing back pain, hip pain and posture problems.
What’s more, your hip flexors are connected to your diaphragm, the chief muscle that allows you to fill your lungs with air. Hence, your psoas muscles can impair your ability to breathe deeply not only during the day but at night too. Without deep breaths, it’s almost impossible for you body to be relaxed.
Luckily, there’s a quick stretch you can do to loosen them up before bed for a nice, restful sleep.
2- Minute Sleep Apnea Home Remedy
- A Padded mat
- A wall
- A yoga block or large book
- Lay on your back and place your left foot flat on the wall. Let the block support your pelvis.
- Fold your right knee and draw it into your chest, hugging it with your arms.
- Hold for one minute.
- Switch sides and repeat.
Practice before bed for best results.
- 11 Ways Dehydration Could Be Making You Fat And Sick
The average human body is around 70% water. By not drinking enough water we are causing a whole raft of …
- Fatigue, Vitamin Deficiencies, and Diabetes: 7 Health Problems that Your Hands are Warning You About
The eyes may be the windows to the soul but your hands may be the windows to your blood and …
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- How To Use Himalayan Salt Lamps For Better Air, Sleep And Mental Clarity
Himalayan crystal salt is the purest salt available on earth. Hence why it is used a lot for salt lamps. …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- Here’s The Homemade Cannabis Oil Recipe That People Are Using as a Chemo Alternative
People have been increasingly becoming aware of the anti-cancer benefits of cannabis over the last few years. Many studies done …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- 10 High-Protein Vegetables You Need to Start Eating Today
Protein is the building blocks of muscles as well as bone, skin, hair, and nearly every other part of your …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- The Many Benefits of Coriander Seed Oil and How to Use It
Coriander is a savory spice used extensively in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is the seed of the cilantro …
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …
- Teen Invents Bra That Can Save Millions After Mom Nearly Dies Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the main health concerns that women face in this day and age. For many, learning of …