Do you often experience an energy crash in the early morning or afternoon?
Do you feel sleepy even after a full night’s rest?
If so, you may be experiencing the effects of interrupted sleep.
While there are many things that can keep you from catching all your z’s, the most common cause of daytime sleepiness is sleep apnea.
What Is Sleep Apnea?
These pauses can last from a few seconds to even a few minutes and may occur up to 30 times an hour during your slumber. Breathing then restarts with a loud snore or choking sound. This interruption in your breathing actually drives you out of deep sleep and into light sleep, where you’re more likely to be woken up by strange noises or bodily needs.
Sleep apnea is a chronic condition, meaning that it’s likely to disturb your sleep nearly every night. Because it affects sleep quality, sleep apnea can cause daytime sleepiness, inability to focus, and even weight gain and illness (2).
In fact, the condition is known to cause high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, and diabetes.
How Your Muscles Come Into Play
Sitting all day at your desk isn’t great for your body.
In fact, prolonged sitting actually shortens your lifespan and leaves you more prone to infection and disease. It also takes its toll on your muscles, which can become atrophied or over-stressed from your stiff posture and lack of movement.
Your psoas muscles connect your groin to your pelvis and low back and stabilize your spine and align your body (3).
Long periods of sitting actually shorten this muscle, causing back pain, hip pain and posture problems.
What’s more, your hip flexors are connected to your diaphragm, the chief muscle that allows you to fill your lungs with air. Hence, your psoas muscles can impair your ability to breathe deeply not only during the day but at night too. Without deep breaths, it’s almost impossible for you body to be relaxed.
Luckily, there’s a quick stretch you can do to loosen them up before bed for a nice, restful sleep.
2- Minute Sleep Apnea Home Remedy
- A Padded mat
- A wall
- A yoga block or large book
- Lay on your back and place your left foot flat on the wall. Let the block support your pelvis.
- Fold your right knee and draw it into your chest, hugging it with your arms.
- Hold for one minute.
- Switch sides and repeat.
Practice before bed for best results.
- Simple 7-Minute Routine To Prevent Sciatica Pain
Sciatica pain is a common problem affecting Americans young and old. This pain spread from your lower back, to your …
- Home Remedies For Kidney Stones 21 Remedies For Effective Pain Relief
Many of us rarely give our kidneys a second thought, but these bean-shaped organs play a vital role in keeping …
- How to Clear Your Sinuses With Your Tongue And Your Thumb in 20 Seconds
Congestion is caused by the inflammation of the lining of your sinus cavities. This inflammation can be painful and uncomfortable, …
- Homemade Steam Recipes For Decongestion And Other Natural Remedies
While you can’t see your sinuses, you can definitely notice them when you have a cold and feel congested. Nasal …
- How To Cleanse Your Coronary Arteries With Only 3 Ingredients
A diet high in junk food and sugar can be destructive to your cardiovascular health. You may have heard about how …
- 13 Early Warning Signs of Lupus You Need to Know (And What To Do The Moment You See Them)
For many, lupus seems almost like a dream they’ll never experience. To 1.5 million Americans, the disease is very real and …
- 8 Things to Avoid for a Good Night’s Sleep
We’ve talked about the importance of getting enough sleep before. Yet, countless adults still fail to get the proper amount …
- Grease Your Joints With These 5 Powerful Herbs (Kick Arthritis To The Curb!)
In pain? You’re not alone. There are so many ailments that can cause achy, stiff joints. While many people find help from …
- 8 Natural Ways To Prevent Bloating
Men and women alike can suffer from the uncomfortable side effects of bloating, from feeling heavy and sluggish to not …
- Drink To Boost Immune System
We found a fantastic, simple juice recipe for immune system support. It’s a tasty, healthy drink made with pure fruit …
- 8 Natural Alternatives to Replace Antibiotics Whenever Possible
The overuse of antibiotics has become a modern-day epidemic. These drugs have depleted our natural immunity by killing the good bacteria in our guts …
- Beware: 20 Medications That Cause Memory Loss
Despite the fact that they are frequently turned to for relief, prescription drugs cause over 100,000 deaths per year and …
- The Link Between Alcohol And Cancer Can No Longer Be Denied (It Causes SEVEN Types of Cancer!)
Your daily glass of beer or wine may not be so innocent after all. Recent research has found a link …
- Spearmint and Rosemary Extracts Improve Memory
Rosemary for remembrance – at least that’s what the Victorian language of flowers says. Now a small study has added weight …
- Gelatin An Unexpected And Effective Remedy For Joint Pain
Many people suffer from joint pain, whether from osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, injury, uric acid crystals, years of normal wear …