No one likes feeling sick.
Having a sore throat, puffy eyes, and a stuffy nose is a recipe for sleepless nights.
But before you reach for that conventional decongestant, you should consider using shower disks. Many over-the-counter drugs work by masking your body’s symptoms, and often come with unwanted side effects.
What Are Shower Disks?
These aromatic tablets are used by placing them in your shower while you wash up. As they dissolve under the hot water and steam, shower disks release natural essential oils to help clear your nose and throat.
Think of them as a vapor rub substitute that doesn’t have to be applied to your chest.
Not All Shower Disks Are Created Equally
While you may have seen shower disks being sold in your local drugstore or pharmacy, you’ll want to avoid buying them. It’s highly likely that they’re filled with harsh chemicals.
And as it turns out shower disks are surprisingly easy and a whole lot cheaper to make at home!
How To Make Homemade Shower Disks
The following shower disks are effective if you use the recommended doses of essential oils.
It may seem like a lot of eucalyptus, since most DIY products keep essential oil concentration between .5-2%, but in this case, it’s perfectly fine since you won’t be applying this directly onto your skin. So, make sure not to skimp on the essential oils here.
- 1.5 cups Baking soda
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch powder
- 2 tbsp and 1 tsp water
- ¾ tsp eucalyptus essential oil (120 drops)
- ½ tsp peppermint essential oil (80 drops)
- lavender essential oil (optional)
- Mix the baking soda together with the essential oils until there are no more visible lumps.
- Add the water on top of the mixture and whisk.
- Press the mixture into your favorite molds, or a muffin tray. Let the shower disks dry overnight.
- Store in an airtight container.
To use, put one shower disk near the edge of the tub, or the soap dish. The goal is to have your shower disk near the water or steam but not directly under the shower head. Doing this will help slow down the disintegration of your shower disk and prolong its use.
Why Shower Disks Work
Peppermint contains high levels of menthol, which is great for clearing up the sinuses. This same compound is also known to stimulate the hippocampus area of your brain which controls mental clarity and memory. The natural fragrance triggers you to wake up and pay attention. Peppermint also has antibacterial and antiviral properties to help kick your cold to the curb.
Like peppermint, Eucalyptus also has high levels of menthol, which help to clear the nasal passageways. One study showed that Eucalyptus was helpful against bronchitis and other respiratory problems (1).
Keep these shower disks in a glass jar for easy use or give them as a gift to friends and family. You don’t have to wait until you’re sick to use them. As mentioned previously, these shower tablets are just as useful in the morning for mental clarity and alertness.
- Coconut Oil & Honey Mixture – Powerful Remedy That Will Stop Cough Instantly
Have noticed that you or one of your loved ones cough a lot? If so, then you really have to …
- Finally! FDA Admits That Chicken Meat Contains Cancer-Causing Arsenic
It seems like only yesterday headlines everywhere warned of dangerous levels of arsenic in rice. The news was definitely a …
- 37 Million Bees Found Dead After GMO Fields Were Planted Nearby
There are close to 20,000 different species of bees in the world. You are probably familiar with bumble bees and, …
- 7 Bizarre Warning Signs That Could Foretell Heart Problems In Your Near Future
Heart disease is the leading cause of death worldwide, accounting for 17.3 million deaths every year! And this number is only …
- 30 Reasons To NEVER Put Another M&M In Your Mouth Ever Again
M&M’s can be hard to resist. Especially, if you grew up with them. Yet, very few people know about the …
- Everything you Need to Know About Blood Clots
Clotting is a life-saving measure your body takes to prevent itself from bleeding out during an injury. Platelets and proteins …
- Fatty Liver Disease: 6 Symptoms You Need to Know
Fatty liver disease can be severely detrimental to your body and your health. Though it doesn’t cause any problems in …
- 2 Breathing Tricks To Help You De-Stress And Improve Digestion
Breathing is one of the most natural and essential acts for a living being. It’s an automatic reflex that requires …
- Alkalize Your Body and Fight Disease With These 10 Healing Foods
Survival is a complex and wonderful thing. Your body is constantly working to achieve its ideal pH level, temperature, and …
- This Is One of The Top Cancer Causing Foods
It’s hard to find a North American child who’s never tasted a hot dog. Countless schools and households rely on …
- This Is What Happens To Your Body When You Hang Eucalyptus In Your Shower
Showers are one of those rare moments in the day where you can really spoil yourself. Whether you take it …
- The Toxic Food Additive In Bread You Didn’t Know You Were Eating…And How To Avoid It
The use of Potassium Bromate in the bread making process is wide spread within the United States; however, it has …
- 15 Reasons Why You NEED To Make Ginger Syrup And How To Use It Every Day (With Recipe!)
Ginger is probably one of the most widely used culinary spices in the world. It brings life to so many …
- 2 Simple Juice Recipes That Will Replace Your Diabetes Drugs
Brace yourself. In brief, here are the statistics for the prevalence of diabetes in North America. United States: 9.3% of …
- The Dangers of Air Fresheners (Plus 10 Natural Options)
You’ve probably seen the commercial: A mom walks into a teenager’s room, takes a sniff and tells him no “nice” …