No one likes feeling sick.
Having a sore throat, puffy eyes, and a stuffy nose is a recipe for sleepless nights.
But before you reach for that conventional decongestant, you should consider using shower disks. Many over-the-counter drugs work by masking your body’s symptoms, and often come with unwanted side effects.
What Are Shower Disks?
These aromatic tablets are used by placing them in your shower while you wash up. As they dissolve under the hot water and steam, shower disks release natural essential oils to help clear your nose and throat.
Think of them as a vapor rub substitute that doesn’t have to be applied to your chest.
Not All Shower Disks Are Created Equally
While you may have seen shower disks being sold in your local drugstore or pharmacy, you’ll want to avoid buying them. It’s highly likely that they’re filled with harsh chemicals.
And as it turns out shower disks are surprisingly easy and a whole lot cheaper to make at home!
How To Make Homemade Shower Disks
The following shower disks are effective if you use the recommended doses of essential oils.
It may seem like a lot of eucalyptus, since most DIY products keep essential oil concentration between .5-2%, but in this case, it’s perfectly fine since you won’t be applying this directly onto your skin. So, make sure not to skimp on the essential oils here.
- 1.5 cups Baking soda
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch powder
- 2 tbsp and 1 tsp water
- ¾ tsp eucalyptus essential oil (120 drops)
- ½ tsp peppermint essential oil (80 drops)
- lavender essential oil (optional)
- Mix the baking soda together with the essential oils until there are no more visible lumps.
- Add the water on top of the mixture and whisk.
- Press the mixture into your favorite molds, or a muffin tray. Let the shower disks dry overnight.
- Store in an airtight container.
To use, put one shower disk near the edge of the tub, or the soap dish. The goal is to have your shower disk near the water or steam but not directly under the shower head. Doing this will help slow down the disintegration of your shower disk and prolong its use.
Why Shower Disks Work
Peppermint contains high levels of menthol, which is great for clearing up the sinuses. This same compound is also known to stimulate the hippocampus area of your brain which controls mental clarity and memory. The natural fragrance triggers you to wake up and pay attention. Peppermint also has antibacterial and antiviral properties to help kick your cold to the curb.
Like peppermint, Eucalyptus also has high levels of menthol, which help to clear the nasal passageways. One study showed that Eucalyptus was helpful against bronchitis and other respiratory problems (1).
Keep these shower disks in a glass jar for easy use or give them as a gift to friends and family. You don’t have to wait until you’re sick to use them. As mentioned previously, these shower tablets are just as useful in the morning for mental clarity and alertness.
- Unhealthy Gut Flora Increases Your Risk of Deadly Diseases such as Stroke and Diabetes
Researchers from Georgia State University have used improved technological approaches to further demonstrate the role that healthy gut flora plays …
- 11 Ways Dehydration Could Be Making You Fat And Sick
The average human body is around 70% water. By not drinking enough water we are causing a whole raft of …
- Fatigue, Vitamin Deficiencies, and Diabetes: 7 Health Problems that Your Hands are Warning You About
The eyes may be the windows to the soul but your hands may be the windows to your blood and …
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- The Real Truth: Antidepressants Actually Deplete These 3 Crucial Nutrients for the Brain
Antidepressants are one of the most prescribed medications out there. But how much do you know about the side effects …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- Here’s The Homemade Cannabis Oil Recipe That People Are Using as a Chemo Alternative
People have been increasingly becoming aware of the anti-cancer benefits of cannabis over the last few years. Many studies done …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- 10 High-Protein Vegetables You Need to Start Eating Today
Protein is the building blocks of muscles as well as bone, skin, hair, and nearly every other part of your …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- The Many Benefits of Coriander Seed Oil and How to Use It
Coriander is a savory spice used extensively in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is the seed of the cilantro …
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …