No one likes feeling sick.
Having a sore throat, puffy eyes, and a stuffy nose is a recipe for sleepless nights.
But before you reach for that conventional decongestant, you should consider using shower disks. Many over-the-counter drugs work by masking your body’s symptoms, and often come with unwanted side effects.
What Are Shower Disks?
These aromatic tablets are used by placing them in your shower while you wash up. As they dissolve under the hot water and steam, shower disks release natural essential oils to help clear your nose and throat.
Think of them as a vapor rub substitute that doesn’t have to be applied to your chest.
Not All Shower Disks Are Created Equally
While you may have seen shower disks being sold in your local drugstore or pharmacy, you’ll want to avoid buying them. It’s highly likely that they’re filled with harsh chemicals.
And as it turns out shower disks are surprisingly easy and a whole lot cheaper to make at home!
How To Make Homemade Shower Disks
The following shower disks are effective if you use the recommended doses of essential oils.
It may seem like a lot of eucalyptus, since most DIY products keep essential oil concentration between .5-2%, but in this case, it’s perfectly fine since you won’t be applying this directly onto your skin. So, make sure not to skimp on the essential oils here.
- 1.5 cups Baking soda
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch powder
- 2 tbsp and 1 tsp water
- ¾ tsp eucalyptus essential oil (120 drops)
- ½ tsp peppermint essential oil (80 drops)
- lavender essential oil (optional)
- Mix the baking soda together with the essential oils until there are no more visible lumps.
- Add the water on top of the mixture and whisk.
- Press the mixture into your favorite molds, or a muffin tray. Let the shower disks dry overnight.
- Store in an airtight container.
To use, put one shower disk near the edge of the tub, or the soap dish. The goal is to have your shower disk near the water or steam but not directly under the shower head. Doing this will help slow down the disintegration of your shower disk and prolong its use.
Why Shower Disks Work
Peppermint contains high levels of menthol, which is great for clearing up the sinuses. This same compound is also known to stimulate the hippocampus area of your brain which controls mental clarity and memory. The natural fragrance triggers you to wake up and pay attention. Peppermint also has antibacterial and antiviral properties to help kick your cold to the curb.
Like peppermint, Eucalyptus also has high levels of menthol, which help to clear the nasal passageways. One study showed that Eucalyptus was helpful against bronchitis and other respiratory problems (1).
Keep these shower disks in a glass jar for easy use or give them as a gift to friends and family. You don’t have to wait until you’re sick to use them. As mentioned previously, these shower tablets are just as useful in the morning for mental clarity and alertness.
- Cut Your Watermelon THIS Way And Never Have Juice Dripping Down Your Chin Again!
Watermelon isn’t just a healthy snack: it’s a summer staple. Perhaps one of the most popular ways to eat it …
- 10 Healthy Habits That Will Keep Your Kidneys Happy
Kidneys are amazing organs, with the ability to sustain adult human life at only 20 percent of its normal functioning …
- 3 Important Things To Consider When You’re Washing Your Hair (How Often Is Too Much?)
How many times a week do you wash your hair? Every dermatologist and hair stylist has a different recommendation. It’s …
- Man Diagnosed with Terminal Lung Cancer Heals Himself with Honey and Spices
Thirteen years ago, Croatian doctors told Ante Kresich that his lung cancer was beyond treatment and to get things in …
- How To Make Relaxing Magnesium Water To Get Rid of Headaches and Muscle Pain
Magnesium doesn’t get the attention it deserves. It’s a critical mineral for healthy cell function and is an active participant …
- What You Need to Know Before You Reuse That Plastic Water Bottle
In an effort to be responsible and thrifty, you may reuse a plastic water bottle over and over gain. Why …
- 5 Easy Ways To Free Yourself From Sugar Addiction
Okay, so maybe “easy” is the wrong word – sugar addiction is real and many people struggle to cut down …
- Eliminate All Poisons From Your Body In 48 Hours: A Weekend Detoxification Diet Plan
Do you feel tired all of the time…and not just tired, but exhausted? When you look in the mirror do …
- Avid Farmer Creates The Wikipedia of Farming and Gardening
The Farmer’s what? Almanac? What’s that? With all the information of the world so readily available, sometimes it’s difficult to …
- This Spicy Tonic Protects You Against Strep Throat, Colds and Flu. (No More Coughing!)
Here’s a simple concoction of six ingredients that are highly effective in offering protection against strep throat, colds and flu. …
- What Hiccups, Ringing Ears, Popping Joints And A Whistling Nose Mean For Your Health
Sometimes, bodies make sounds that are loud and strange. Some of these sounds happen so often that we never stop …
- How To Grow Pineberries At Home (They Look Like Strawberries, But Taste Like Pineapples!)
Pineberries don’t come from pine trees, they’re actually pineapple flavored strawberries! Other than their unique flavor, these little fruits have …
- 5 Proven Tips for Sleeping Better at Night
Most people don’t get enough sleep, which can lead to countless health issues ranging from difficulty concentrating and headaches to …
- Farmed Salmon Is FULL Of Antibiotics And Mercury, Here’s How To Tell If Your Salmon Is Safe
Have you ever noticed that salmon in the supermarket can vary in color from a dull pink to a bright …
- 10 Warning Signs You’re Gluten Intolerant
Begin Slideshow With more people becoming gluten intolerant, going gluten-free has become more and more popular. But how can you …