“Oh, my aching back!”
If you find yourself saying that on a regular basis, you may be suffering from sciatica, constriction of the sciatic nerve.
This nerve is the longest in the body, stretching from the lower back down into the legs and feet.
Constriction can come as the result of a pulled muscle, skeletal misalignment, injury, chronic inflammation, herniated disc, pressure from pregnancy, spinal tumors, a tight piriformis, or other causes.
Sciatic pain can be debilitating, ranging from tingling in the lower extremities to sharp, shooting pain in the back, buttocks, legs, and/or feet. Whatever the cause, when you feel the pain, the first thought is to get rid of it. A cortisone shot, strong pharmaceutical painkillers, and over-the-counter analgesics are temporary and hazardous solutions that mask pain but don’t fix the problem.
Cortisone and other corticosteroids have been found to actually exacerbate a problem they’re intended to treat over time because they impede natural healing. (1) They also can have serious side effects: seizures, impaired vision, pancreatitis, severe depression, insomnia, headache and dizziness, nausea, and skin conditions. (2)
Ibuprofen and acetaminophen (Tylenol) are injurious to the liver. Aspirin can eat the lining of your gastrointestinal tract, causing ulcers and leaky gut. Pain-killing drugs can be addictive and their effectiveness declines over time, requiring increasing doses.
Finding the cause of the constriction is important to alleviating the problem and the pain that goes with it. Below are natural remedies for sciatica pain that will actually help—rather than mask—pain and discomfort while you work on the physiological reason for your sciatica.
Check out the short video below for simple stretches that will loosen up your lower back and ease nerve pain.
Alternating Hot and Cold
Heat expands, cold contracts. When a pinched nerve is the problem, optimizing blood flow is paramount. Apply a hot compress or soak in a hot Epsom salt bath to loosen muscles. Immediately follow with an ice pack to the lower back until the pack is no longer cold. Repeat a few times a day. Blood flow is promoted through the physical expansion and contraction of muscles and blood vessels.
This medicinal golden spice is an efficacious anti-inflammatory. Taken with black pepper to improve its bioavailability, you can add it to everything you eat or make a golden milk drink for whole-body warmth and reduction of pain.
The active pain-killing ingredient in willow bark is what aspirin was originally made from: salicylic acid. With antioxidant flavonoids, tannins, catechins, and anti-inflammatory properties, a white willow tea, tincture, or willow bark capsule can help reduce swelling and pain of sciatica. Unlike aspirin, it is a natural product and its analgesics last longer than the synthetic version. If you’re sensitive or allergic to aspirin, don’t take willow bark. Other conditions for which willow bark is contraindicated:
- Stomach ulcers
- Kidney or liver issues
- Children under the age of 16 should not take willow bark (4)
Not to be taken with:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Blood-thinning medication
Willow Bark Tea Recipe
- Put 1 to 2 teaspoons of willow bark to 8 ounces of water.
- Allow the mix to boil for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once boiled, turn off the heat and allow it to steep between 20 and 30 minutes.
- Strain the bark out and serve.
You can add some honey for better flavor.
- This Exercise Is More Efficient Than 1000 Crunches
Although everyone has different problem spots, one of the most common areas for excess fat is the belly. And everyone …
- The Best Exercises to Get Rid of Double Chin Fat & Neck Fat
Nobody likes having a double chin! Unlike other demanding exercise, you can learn how to get rid of a double …
- One Simple Exercise To Help Strengthen The Core and Lower Body
Okay, today you’re going to learn how to reverse plank. One of the first places you gain weight is typically …
- 5 Foot Exercises To Relieve Back, Hip, And Knee Pain In 20 Minutes or Less
Your feet are a lot more important than you think. In fact, muscle weakness in your feet can cause hip, …
- 7 Simple Exercises That Will Transform Your Body in Just Four Weeks
Staying fit is a lifelong commitment to eating healthy and being active. When you have a busy lifestyle, nothing is …
- 6 Stretches You Should Do Before Getting Out Of Bed To Feel Great All Day
Ever wondered if morning stretches really make a difference? Hopping straight out of bed isn’t a great habit to have. …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- 6 Stretches You Can Do in 6 Minutes to Stop Your Knees From Cracking and Popping
Are you hearing popping and cracking noises every time you bend your knees? Chances are, your muscles and connective tissues …
- 10 Week No-Gym Home Workout Plan
Losing weight can seem daunting when you’ve struggled with maintaining your weight for a long time. Part of the struggle …
- 5 Exercises to Undo the Spinal Damage Caused by a Lifetime of Sitting
Many of us have no choice but to sit at a desk of most of the day. There are options …
- Loosen Up with These 12 Hip Flexor Stretches
With the amount of sitting most of us have to do on a daily basis, it’s common for hip and …
- How To Correct Anterior Pelvic Tilt With These 13 Stretches
We don’t really think about how we stand and walk—it’s just how it’s done, right? Poor posture, however, can cause …
- How To Get a Deep Piriformis Stretch With These 12 Exercises
Lower back pain is very common and can be the result of a variety of causes. One of these isn’t …
- 3 Stretches That Un-Slouch Your Back (And 9 Other Posture Tricks!)
Growing up you’ve probably been told by your parents not to slouch. And for good reasons! Posture technically refers to …
- 40 Easy Home Exercises For Every Part Of Your Body
It’s important to love your body, but it’s also important to take care of it. So why not learn about …