“Oh, my aching back!”
If you find yourself saying that on a regular basis, you may be suffering from sciatica, constriction of the sciatic nerve.
This nerve is the longest in the body, stretching from the lower back down into the legs and feet.
Constriction can come as the result of a pulled muscle, skeletal misalignment, injury, chronic inflammation, herniated disc, pressure from pregnancy, spinal tumors, a tight piriformis, or other causes.
Sciatic pain can be debilitating, ranging from tingling in the lower extremities to sharp, shooting pain in the back, buttocks, legs, and/or feet. Whatever the cause, when you feel the pain, the first thought is to get rid of it. A cortisone shot, strong pharmaceutical painkillers, and over-the-counter analgesics are temporary and hazardous solutions that mask pain but don’t fix the problem.
See also: sciatica stretches
Cortisone and other corticosteroids have been found to actually exacerbate a problem they’re intended to treat over time because they impede natural healing. (1) They also can have serious side effects: seizures, impaired vision, pancreatitis, severe depression, insomnia, headache and dizziness, nausea, and skin conditions. (2)
Ibuprofen and acetaminophen (Tylenol) are injurious to the liver. Aspirin can eat the lining of your gastrointestinal tract, causing ulcers and leaky gut. Pain-killing drugs can be addictive and their effectiveness declines over time, requiring increasing doses.
Finding the cause of the constriction is important to alleviating the problem and the pain that goes with it. Below are natural remedies for sciatica pain that will actually help—rather than mask—pain and discomfort while you work on the physiological reason for your sciatica.
Check out the short video below for simple stretches that will loosen up your lower back and ease nerve pain.
Alternating Hot and Cold
Heat expands, cold contracts. When a pinched nerve is the problem, optimizing blood flow is paramount. Apply a hot compress or soak in a hot Epsom salt bath to loosen muscles. Immediately follow with an ice pack to the lower back until the pack is no longer cold. Repeat a few times a day. Blood flow is promoted through the physical expansion and contraction of muscles and blood vessels.
This medicinal golden spice is an efficacious anti-inflammatory. Taken with black pepper to improve its bioavailability, you can add it to everything you eat or make a golden milk drink for whole-body warmth and reduction of pain.
The active pain-killing ingredient in willow bark is what aspirin was originally made from: salicylic acid. With antioxidant flavonoids, tannins, catechins, and anti-inflammatory properties, a white willow tea, tincture, or willow bark capsule can help reduce swelling and pain of sciatica. Unlike aspirin, it is a natural product and its analgesics last longer than the synthetic version. If you’re sensitive or allergic to aspirin, don’t take willow bark. Other conditions for which willow bark is contraindicated:
- Stomach ulcers
- Kidney or liver issues
- Children under the age of 16 should not take willow bark (4)
Not to be taken with:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Blood-thinning medication
Willow Bark Tea Recipe
- Put 1 to 2 teaspoons of willow bark to 8 ounces of water.
- Allow the mix to boil for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once boiled, turn off the heat and allow it to steep between 20 and 30 minutes.
- Strain the bark out and serve.
You can add some honey for better flavor.
- 9 Foods to Naturally Increase Melatonin for Better Sleep
If you suffer from occasional insomnia or if it’s a nightly battle for you, you’ve likely looked at all of …
- Gut Bacteria Imbalance Found To Be A Cause Of Parkinson’s Disease
It is only in recent years that science has begun to explore the role that bacteria in the digestive system …
- Common Household Chemicals May Impair Thyroid in Young Girls
The first study to examine the link between thyroid development/function and phthalate exposure in children has just been published, and …
- This Turmeric Lemonade Is Better At Treating Depression Than Prozac
Turmeric is one of the most potent natural cure-all. Turmeric lemonade will give you a good daily dose of turmeric. …
- Top 10 Natural Ways to Keep Your Brain Fit
Your brain—not to be confused with your mind—is one of the more vital organs in your body. Its health affects …
- Fatty Acid DHA Found to Decrease 90% of Brain Cell Death & Inflammation
Researchers at Loyola University Chicago (LUC) have found a surprising health benefit by studying alcohol abuse. In the process, they …
- Cancer Diagnosis Spurs 90-Year-Old Traveler To Take The Trip Of A Lifetime
Guts, grace, dignity, and humor—that’s how we all want to be remembered for after this life. Here’s the story of …
- 5 Nutrient Hacks That Can Help You Sleep Better At Night
Not many people realise that what kind of diet you have can mean all the difference between a good night’s …
- 5 Things You Can Do Now To Prevent Dementia Later
Many believe that degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and dementia are completely unpreventable. But that just isn’t the case. There …
- 8 Remedies For Sciatica Pain You NEED to Try Before Putting Another Painkiller in Your Mouth
The sciatic nerve is the longest in the body, running from each side of the lower spine through the buttock, …
- Omega-3 Found to Potentially Lower Risk of Heart Arrhythmia
The number of people who develop heart arrhythmia, which is an irregular heartbeat affecting millions of people worldwide, could be …
- You Can Grow New Brain Cells, Regardless of Age. Here’s How!
We all know that children’s brains grow and expand as they learn and age. Adults, on the other hand, slowly …
- 4 Unhealthy Eating Habits That Are Detrimental to Your Memory
Not feeling your normal self? Are you having trouble concentrating and solving mental tasks? Maybe your memory is going? The …
- Is Your Computer Screen Damaging Your Eyes?
In today’s world many of us spend 10-12 hours of our day in front of glowing computer screens. Computers are …
- Study Finds Pravastatin Not Effective in Preventing Coronary Heart Disease
Pravastatin is one of the most popular medications prescribed as a preventive measure against congestive heart disease. It is most …