The liver is a very important organ. One of its main tasks is to filter or break down anything you take into your body. It’s basically your body’s chemical processing plant.
That’s why, it shouldn’t come to you as a surprise that the number one cause of acute liver failure in America is caused by over-the-counter pills.
OTC meds such as Tylenol, Excedrin, NyQuil, Theraflu, and prescription painkillers like Vicoden and Percocet all contain acetaminophen.
This single ingredient is responsible for 80,000 emergency room visits, 26,000 hospitalizations, and around 500 deaths annually (1).
Acetaminophen Is a Liver Toxin
Acetaminophen consumption in the long-run is dangerous even in low doses. Those with liver conditions, such as hepatitis or fatty liver should avoid acetaminophen products completely. via WebMD
To make matters worse taking more than one pharmaceutical containing acetaminophen at the same time can lead to overdose.
One study has even determined that taking acetaminophen products even as directed can cause liver damage. With all the toxins we’re exposed to daily, your liver and kidneys don’t need the extra work.
How To Protect Your Liver
Acetaminophen depletes glutathione. If the amount of glutathione in your liver drops too rapidly, it can cause acute liver failure. Here’s a list of nutrients you should focus on to promote glutathione production:
- milk thistle
- sulfur-rich foods (cruciferous vegetables)
- N-acetyl cysteine (NAC supplements)
- α-Lipoic Acid
- methylation nutrients (vitamins B6, B9, B12, and biotin)
- selenium (brazil nuts)
- vitamin C & E
One last thing you can do to boost your body’s production of glutathione is to exercise regularly. As long as you don’t exercise to complete exhaustion, exercise acts as a minor stress on your body, boosts your immune system and improves your detoxification abilities. It is often said that “sitting is inflammatory” because inactivity raises your body’s production of inflammation generating compounds. Exercise helps to counteract that. via LiverDoctor
- Eliminate All Poisons From Your Body In 48 Hours: A Weekend Detoxification Diet Plan
Do you feel tired all of the time…and not just tired, but exhausted? When you look in the mirror do …
- 21 Surprising Uses For Lemons That You Haven’t Tried Yet, But Should
There’s a reason why cleaning products often smell like lemon. This little citrus fruit works as a powerful cleaner and …
- The Shocking Story of How Aspartame Became Legal
Did you know that Aspartame was banned by the FDA twice? How is this product legal now? The bittersweet argument over whether …
- 5 Natural Gargle Remedies to Help Soothe the Pain
1. Sore Throat Gargle with Sage The Sage used in the following recipe is a classic gargle, but other herbs …
- Wearing a Pair of Eyeglasses Like These Could Help You Sleep Better At Night And Here’s Why
According to the CDC, insufficient sleep is a national epidemic, “linked to motor vehicle crashes, industrial disasters, and medical and …
- Simple 3-Step Technique To Relieve Stiff Neck Pain In Just 90 Seconds
Most stiff necks occur from sleeping in an awkward position. It can also be caused by improper posture. Neck stiffness …
- Are Your Sugary Treats Leading You Down the Road to Heart Disease
Many people who are not concerned with maintaining their weight or shedding a few excess pounds, may find that they …
- Simple Hack To RIPEN Any Rock-Hard AVOCADO In Just 10 Minutes
There’s a reason why avocados taste so good : it’s all in their healthy fats and incredible nutritional profile (1). …
- 8 Foods To Flush Out Nicotine From Your Body
If you’re trying to quit smoking, eating more fruits and vegetables will make you three times more likely to succeed. via …
- 8 Natural Ways to Alleviate Pain
When you experience pain of any type, it can be enough to drive you to reach for some acetaminophen or …
- 20 Fruits, Veggies And Herbs You Can Grow At Home For An ENDLESS Supply of Organic And Free Food
Although growing your own food may seem like a daunting task now, before grocery stores came about, having a garden …
- All the Ways Nobody Ever Told You Borax Could Be Used to Change Your Life
Borax is a staple of green cleaning recipes and traditional housekeeping. The powder, also called sodium tetraborate decahydrate, is a …
- These Police Officers Meditate Before They Start Their Day! What If Every Cop Did This?
If you’ve seen the pictures of meditating police officers, you might have thought that is was either a joke or …
- 3 Easy Homemade Remedies That You Can Use Immediately To Beat The Bloat
Do you ever feel bloated after a meal or maybe it feels like you have “food baby?” If that’s the case, here’s three …
- 10 Little-Known Reasons Why Stress Is More Harmful To Your Body Than You Think
Chronic stress affects us in very real ways, although it can be a hard thing to measure. Often, because stress …