Mudras are specific hand positions meant to stimulate your brain in different ways to improve blood flow and balance emotions (1).
By calming your mind and body, these simple hand positions relieve stress by having you focus on your hands and breath. And since stress is known to have debilitating effects on the body, regularly practicing these simple poses can have great benefits for your long-term health.
8 Hand Mudras For Health
Practice each mudra with both hands for at least 5-10 minutes. Focus on your breath as you do so.
1. Prithvi Mudra: The Mudra of Earth
To perform, touch the tip od your ring finger with your thumb and extend all other fingers. Do the pose with both hands at the same time.
2. Vayu Mudra: The Mudra of Air
This pose is used alongside the wind-relieving pose to get rid of excess air in the stomach and digestive tract. Plus, it’s said to be beneficial for arthritis and Parkinson’s disease.
To perform, fold your index finger and place your thumb over the joint of your index closest to its tip. Apply steady pleasure and stretch all other fingers.
3. Varun Mudra: The Mudra of Water
This pose is believed to regulate fluids and moisturize dry, itchy skin.
You can do it by lightly touching the tips of your thumb and pinky finger together. Extend your other fingers as you do so.
4. Gyan Mudra: The Mudra of Knowledge
The mudra of knowledge is used to improve memory, sharpen focus, and fight insomnia by stimulating the pituitary and endocrine glands.
To perform, press the tip of your thumb against the tip of your index finger. Extend the three other fingers or you can also leave them slightly bent if you prefer.
5. Agni Mudra: The Mudra of Fire
Use this mudra to stimulate the thyroid gland and in turn relieve anxiety, promote weight loss, and improve digestion.
Try this mudra by bending your ring finger and pressing its tip against the base of your thumb. Extend all other fingers.
6. Prana Mudra – The Mudra of Life
As its name suggests, this mudra is meant to bring balance to your life and body. Use it to stabilize energy, improve eyesight, and fight insomnia.
To perform, touch the tip of your thumb with the tips of your pinky finger and ring finger. Extend your index and middle fingers.
7. Apanu Vaya Mudra – The Mudra of the Heart
This mudra is one of the most powerful. It’s believed to have the ability to prevent heart attack and improve the strength of your heart muscle.
All you need to do is bring the tips of your middle and ring fingers to the tip of your thumb. Extend your pinky and bring your index to the base of your thumb.
8. Shunya Mudra – The Mudra of Emptiness
This is best for people who suffer from frequent earaches and migraines.
To perform, simply bend your middle finger and place your thumb over the joint closest to the tip of your index. As you do so, curl the tip into the base of your thumb. Straighten all the other fingers.
With regular practice alongside your yoga routine, the mudras above will leave you feeling relaxed and well-balanced.
- Unhealthy Gut Flora Increases Your Risk of Deadly Diseases such as Stroke and Diabetes
Researchers from Georgia State University have used improved technological approaches to further demonstrate the role that healthy gut flora plays …
- 11 Ways Dehydration Could Be Making You Fat And Sick
The average human body is around 70% water. By not drinking enough water we are causing a whole raft of …
- Fatigue, Vitamin Deficiencies, and Diabetes: 7 Health Problems that Your Hands are Warning You About
The eyes may be the windows to the soul but your hands may be the windows to your blood and …
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- The Real Truth: Antidepressants Actually Deplete These 3 Crucial Nutrients for the Brain
Antidepressants are one of the most prescribed medications out there. But how much do you know about the side effects …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- Here’s The Homemade Cannabis Oil Recipe That People Are Using as a Chemo Alternative
People have been increasingly becoming aware of the anti-cancer benefits of cannabis over the last few years. Many studies done …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- 10 High-Protein Vegetables You Need to Start Eating Today
Protein is the building blocks of muscles as well as bone, skin, hair, and nearly every other part of your …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- The Many Benefits of Coriander Seed Oil and How to Use It
Coriander is a savory spice used extensively in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is the seed of the cilantro …
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …