Mudras are specific hand positions meant to stimulate your brain in different ways to improve blood flow and balance emotions (1). By calming your mind and body, these simple hand positions relieve stress by having you focus on your hands and breath. And since stress is known to have debilitating effects on the body, regularly practicing these simple poses can have great benefits for your long-term health. As with all yoga poses, mudras also strengthen the muscles in your hands for better dexterity and flexibility.
8 Hand Mudras For Health
Practice each mudra with both hands for at least 5-10 minutes. Focus on your breath as you do so.
1. Prithvi Mudra: The Mudra of Earth
To perform, touch the tip od your ring finger with your thumb and extend all other fingers. Do the pose with both hands at the same time.
2. Vayu Mudra: The Mudra of Air
This pose is used alongside the wind-relieving pose to get rid of excess air in the stomach and digestive tract. Plus, it’s said to be beneficial for arthritis and Parkinson’s disease.
To perform, fold your index finger and place your thumb over the joint of your index closest to its tip. Apply steady pleasure and stretch all other fingers.
3. Varun Mudra: The Mudra of Water
This pose is believed to regulate fluids and moisturize dry, itchy skin.
You can do it by lightly touching the tips of your thumb and pinky finger together. Extend your other fingers as you do so.
4. Gyan Mudra: The Mudra of Knowledge
The mudra of knowledge is used to improve memory, sharpen focus, and fight insomnia by stimulating the pituitary and endocrine glands.
To perform, press the tip of your thumb against the tip of your index finger. Extend the three other fingers or you can also leave them slightly bent if you prefer.
5. Agni Mudra: The Mudra of Fire
Use this mudra to stimulate the thyroid gland and in turn relieve anxiety, promote weight loss, and improve digestion.
Try this mudra by bending your ring finger and pressing its tip against the base of your thumb. Extend all other fingers.
6. Prana Mudra – The Mudra of Life
As its name suggests, this mudra is meant to bring balance to your life and body. Use it to stabilize energy, improve eyesight, and fight insomnia.
To perform, touch the tip of your thumb with the tips of your pinky finger and ring finger. Extend your index and middle fingers.
7. Apanu Vaya Mudra – The Mudra of the Heart
This mudra is one of the most powerful. It’s believed to have the ability to prevent heart attack and improve the strength of your heart muscle.
All you need to do is bring the tips of your middle and ring fingers to the tip of your thumb. Extend your pinky and bring your index to the base of your thumb.
8. Shunya Mudra – The Mudra of Emptiness
This is best for people who suffer from frequent earaches and migraines.
To perform, simply bend your middle finger and place your thumb over the joint closest to the tip of your index. As you do so, curl the tip into the base of your thumb. Straighten all the other fingers.
With regular practice alongside your yoga routine, the mudras above will leave you feeling relaxed and well-balanced.
- Top 10 Brain Foods You Absolutely Need to Eat! Feed Your Brain The Nutrients it Craves.
Boost your brain power and keep your cognitive processes running smoothly into old age with these top ten brain foods.
- Doctors Explain How Hiking Changes Your Brain In These 3 Powerful Ways!
Hiking is a great way to get some fresh air and stay in shape, but did you know that it’s …
- 5 Simple Ways to Become Brainier
Stop feeling like you are at the bottom of the class when it comes to intelligence as by following the …
- 3 Mineral Waters That Can Remove Aluminum From The Brain
Aluminum is everywhere : from tap water to most food products (including baby formula) and cookware to even the air …
- Top 10 Natural Ways to Keep Your Brain Fit
Your brain—not to be confused with your mind—is one of the more vital organs in your body. Its health affects …
- Walking 3 Times a Week For 1 Hour Improves Brain Activity and Cognitive Thinking In Dementia Patients
Regular diet and exercise are encouraged for anyone, no matter their age or health. But a recent study found that …
- How to Get Rid of a Headache in 5 Minutes Without Pills
Headaches can come out of nowhere and range from a dull ache to a raging pain. When a headache hits, …
- Beware: 20 Medications That Cause Memory Loss
Despite the fact that they are frequently turned to for relief, prescription drugs cause over 100,000 deaths per year and …
- 10 Dangerous Brain-Damaging Habits to Stop Immediately
On average, a human adult brain weighs about 3 pounds (1,300-1,400 g), which is roughly 2% of your total body …
- Drop The Pills: Frankincense Is a Proven Antidepressant WITHOUT Any Side Effects
Everyone gets a little stressed once in awhile, but it’s how you cope with that stress that makes a difference …
- This Spice Helps Protect Your Brain From Fluoride Poisoning
Fluoride is found in so many places that is it nearly impossible to avoid it. It can be found in …
- How Complaining Physically Rewires Your Brain To Be Anxious And Depressed
We all know a Debby-downer who is perpetually negative and tends to bring everyone down with them. For these people, …
- Study: Turmeric more Effective than Prozac at Treating Depression
It’s common knowledge in the natural health world that pharmaceuticals often (if not always) do more harm than good. It’s …
- This Type of Exercise Can Boost Brain Power
You may not know it, but exercising can have remarkable effects on the brain. Recent studies have shown a number …
- 5 Crucial Activities Your Brain Does While You Sleep
Gone are the days when we thought that our brains go to sleep with our bodies at night. We now …