Mudras are specific hand positions meant to stimulate your brain in different ways to improve blood flow and balance emotions (1). By calming your mind and body, these simple hand positions relieve stress by having you focus on your hands and breath. And since stress is known to have debilitating effects on the body, regularly practicing these simple poses can have great benefits for your long-term health. As with all yoga poses, mudras also strengthen the muscles in your hands for better dexterity and flexibility.
8 Hand Mudras For Health
Practice each mudra with both hands for at least 5-10 minutes. Focus on your breath as you do so.
1. Prithvi Mudra: The Mudra of Earth
To perform, touch the tip od your ring finger with your thumb and extend all other fingers. Do the pose with both hands at the same time.
2. Vayu Mudra: The Mudra of Air
This pose is used alongside the wind-relieving pose to get rid of excess air in the stomach and digestive tract. Plus, it’s said to be beneficial for arthritis and Parkinson’s disease.
To perform, fold your index finger and place your thumb over the joint of your index closest to its tip. Apply steady pleasure and stretch all other fingers.
3. Varun Mudra: The Mudra of Water
This pose is believed to regulate fluids and moisturize dry, itchy skin.
You can do it by lightly touching the tips of your thumb and pinky finger together. Extend your other fingers as you do so.
4. Gyan Mudra: The Mudra of Knowledge
The mudra of knowledge is used to improve memory, sharpen focus, and fight insomnia by stimulating the pituitary and endocrine glands.
To perform, press the tip of your thumb against the tip of your index finger. Extend the three other fingers or you can also leave them slightly bent if you prefer.
5. Agni Mudra: The Mudra of Fire
Use this mudra to stimulate the thyroid gland and in turn relieve anxiety, promote weight loss, and improve digestion.
Try this mudra by bending your ring finger and pressing its tip against the base of your thumb. Extend all other fingers.
6. Prana Mudra – The Mudra of Life
As its name suggests, this mudra is meant to bring balance to your life and body. Use it to stabilize energy, improve eyesight, and fight insomnia.
To perform, touch the tip of your thumb with the tips of your pinky finger and ring finger. Extend your index and middle fingers.
7. Apanu Vaya Mudra – The Mudra of the Heart
This mudra is one of the most powerful. It’s believed to have the ability to prevent heart attack and improve the strength of your heart muscle.
All you need to do is bring the tips of your middle and ring fingers to the tip of your thumb. Extend your pinky and bring your index to the base of your thumb.
8. Shunya Mudra – The Mudra of Emptiness
This is best for people who suffer from frequent earaches and migraines.
To perform, simply bend your middle finger and place your thumb over the joint closest to the tip of your index. As you do so, curl the tip into the base of your thumb. Straighten all the other fingers.
With regular practice alongside your yoga routine, the mudras above will leave you feeling relaxed and well-balanced.
- This is Why You Always Wake Up in the MIDDLE of the Night (and how to make it STOP)
Getting a full night’s rest can make you feel like a whole new person at the beginning of the day. …
- Cancer Cells Die In 42 Days: This Famous Austrian’s Juice Cured Over 45,000 People From Cancer…
Rudolf Breuss, Austrian naturopath born in 1899, spearheaded the use of raw foods to heal the body. “To my mind, …
- How The Sugar Industry Paid Harvard Researchers to Say Fat (Not Sugar) Caused Heart Disease
As you might have noticed, sugar has now undergone the same criticism that fat and cholesterol once had. For over …
- Toxic Dishwasher Capsules are Loaded With Chemicals That Cause Severe Respiratory Issues and Cancer
Anything that touches your food can get inside your body, right? That goes for dishes, glasses, and utensils, too. Commercial …
- Study Proves Microwave Radiation Directly Affects Your Heart – Why You Need To Ditch Your Microwave Oven
Have you ever wondered why some restaurants post warning signs for customers with pacemakers that the establishment uses a microwave …
- 8 Types of Sounds That Can Help You Sleep Better
A large percentage of Americans (seventy million of us!) have trouble sleeping; insomnia, apnea, and physical and emotional distress are …
- Forget 10,000 Steps. For Happy Knees, 6,000 Will Do It
For arthritis sufferers, it’s a Catch-22: joints hurt so you don’t want to move but moving regularly makes your joints …
- Juicing May Be The Answer To Many Of Your Chronic Health Problems
The videos below are amazing and may change your life. Juicing is a common sense approach to giving your body …
- Bacteria Outbreak: Massive Recall of Frozen Food Products Sold at Trader Joe’s, Costco, And Walmart
358 products sold nationwide at Trader Joe’s, Costco, and Walmart have been recalled out of concern that they were potentially …
- Listening To This Before Bed Will Make Your Brain Tingle And Guarantee a Good Night’s Sleep
One of the most relaxing memories of childhood is having your parents whisper soothing lullabies to ease you into sleep. …
- Sleep Helps Flush Toxins From The Brain
A good night’s rest may clear your head – literally. For centuries, scientists and philosophers have wondered why people sleep and …
- 3-Ingredient Shots For Accelerated Weight Loss, Faster Metabolism & Better Digestion
Breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, but healthy eating goes way beyond a balanced meal. If …
- 12 Everyday Ayurvedic Tips To Live A Long And Healthy Life
Ayurvedic medicine isn’t just something you hear about during your yoga class -it’s a tried and true holistic practice. While …
- DON’T Do This at The Grocery Store (Automatically Adds More Calories)
Have you ever shopped for food hungry? Many people think that shopping while hungry influences your food purchasing decisions. It’s …
- Gluten Can Cause Depression, Migraines, Headaches and Other Neurological Disorders, Study Suggests
When you think of wheat, protein is probably not your first association. But did you know that this seemingly healthy …