Your thyroid gland plays a big role in your digestion and your metabolism.
But did you know that it goes the other way around too? The health of your gut can actually influence the health of your endocrine system, including your thyroid.
You’ve probably heard of hypothyroidism (under-active thyroid) but you’d be surprised at one of it’s underlying causes.
What Is Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis?
According to Web MD, also called Hashimoto’s disease, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is an autoimmune disease, a disorder in which the immune system turns against the body’s own tissues, leading to inflammation and decreased function of the organ affected.
In people with Hashimoto’s, the immune system attacks the thyroid. This can lead to hypothyroidism, a condition in which the thyroid does not make enough hormones for the body’s needs.
Poor digestion and diet affect your microbiome, the bacteria in your gut which forms a part of your immune system. In addition, poor digestion can also cause Hashimoto’s disease over time.
How Are The Gut And Thyroid Connected?
The thyroid gland makes hormones that affect your breathing, heart rate, digestion, and body temperature, among other functions (1).
The thyroid also produces hormones that protect the gut. T3 and T4 are thyroid hormones that actually play a role in preventing stomach ulcers by modulating the way your stomach lining responds to stress (2).
Weight And Food Sensitivities
Thyroid problems can change hunger levels, weight and food sensitivities. In patients with hypothyroidism, appetite is usually reduced, but weight gain may reach 10% because of fluid retention (3).
Also, compared to the general population, patients with autoimmune thyroiditis have an almost 5-fold increased risk of developing celiac disease.
More serious symptoms of thyroid dysfunction include constipation, which can cause bacteria overgrowth in the intestines and colon and other serious issues.
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Although rare, patients with hypothyroidism are more prone to developing leaky gut syndrome, a condition in which lining becomes permeable and food waste enters the body.
As you can see, the thyroid gland and digestive system are incredibly interconnected.
How To Naturally Improve Thyroid Function
1. Manage your stress and blood sugar: nothing causes chronic inflammation like stress and refined sugar.
2. Recognize food intolerance: these can cause inflammation in your gut and severely affect your endocrine system. Common triggers include dairy, gluten and alcohol.
3. Eat more fruits and veggies: dietary fiber helps absorb toxins and waste within your digestive tract. Natural foods are also full of thyroid-healthy vitamins and nutrients.
4. Stay hydrated: this prevents constipation, toxic overload and poor digestion.
5. Eat probiotic foods: look for whole foods that contain gut-friendly bacteria to replenish and restore your microbiome.
6. Exercise daily: moving is great for digestion and metabolism!
There are a lot of ways ways to keep your thyroid healthy, regardless of what’s affecting it!
- Homocysteine: An Objective Biomarker for Health
Measuring your homocysteine levels can be an easy way of measuring your overall health. But what is homocysteine and why …
- Why Biting Your Nails Is More Than Just a Bad Habit
Nail biting is a habit of many. Chronic biters aren’t even aware they’re doing it. The consequences, however, are more than …
- Breakthrough Study Discovers Naturally Occurring Molecule That Can Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease
With an estimated 24 million people worldwide suffering from Alzheimer’s, this disease is one of the most formidable in the …
- Doctors Warn Women Everywhere To Throw Out Their Cheap Loofahs Right Now
You probably already know that your kitchen sponge is a nasty, smelly, breeding ground for any number of disgusting bacteria. …
- “It Just Doesn’t Seem Right”: Michigan Farmer Forced To Dump 40,000 Pounds Of Cherries To Make Way For Import Crops
What do you know about Michigan cherries? Traverse City, Michigan lies on the upper east shore of Lake Michigan. Dubbed …
- Here’s Why Your Lack of Sleep Is Causing Your Body To Gain Weight
It’s amazing how many people try to soldier through life on only a few hours of sleep. They see their …
- 10 Secret Kitchen Hacks Which Only Chefs Know
Not everybody loves to cook, but everyone has to eat. As you spend more time in the kitchen, you develop …
- Vapen Clear: Meet The World’s First Cannabis Inhaler
One of the things that distinguished illicit drugs from medicine is the way it is administered. Despite the fact the …
- 5 Surprising Reasons to Take Cold Showers
Showering under hot water is a complete luxury and not at all necessary for good health. Whereas cold showers on …
- 5 Essential Lifestyle Habits for a Healthy Heart
Your heart supplies blood to all of your organs, without it functioning properly, you’re going to be in trouble! Check …
- 27 Household Uses For Rubbing Alcohol You Need To Try
All-purpose cleaners are a lifesaver when it comes to saving time during your cleaning routine. But you don’t have to …
- Want To Quit Smoking? This Herb Instantly Destroys Your Desire For Nicotine
Everyone knows that smoking is bad for us. Yet, quitting this unhealthy habit can be quite the challenge. If you’re …
- How to Train Your Brain to Fall Asleep in 60 Seconds
Getting a good night’s sleep is vital for optimal health. Unfortunately, many people struggle with sleeplessness, especially in stressful situations, which can …
- 2-Ingredient Remedy To Clear Up Cholesterol Buildup From Blood Vessels In Just 40 Days
“Cholesterol” is probably the most demonized and misunderstood terms in the health world. With the proliferation of cholesterol-moderating drugs and …
- The Toxic Food Additive In Bread You Didn’t Know You Were Eating…And How To Avoid It
The use of Potassium Bromate in the bread making process is wide spread within the United States; however, it has …