Your thyroid gland plays a big role in your digestion and your metabolism.
But did you know that it goes the other way around too? The health of your gut can actually influence the health of your endocrine system, including your thyroid.
You’ve probably heard of hypothyroidism (under-active thyroid) but you’d be surprised at one of it’s underlying causes.
What Is Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis?
According to Web MD, also called Hashimoto’s disease, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is an autoimmune disease, a disorder in which the immune system turns against the body’s own tissues, leading to inflammation and decreased function of the organ affected.
In people with Hashimoto’s, the immune system attacks the thyroid. This can lead to hypothyroidism, a condition in which the thyroid does not make enough hormones for the body’s needs.
Poor digestion and diet affect your microbiome, the bacteria in your gut which forms a part of your immune system. In addition, poor digestion can also cause Hashimoto’s disease over time.
How Are The Gut And Thyroid Connected?
The thyroid gland makes hormones that affect your breathing, heart rate, digestion, and body temperature, among other functions (1).
The thyroid also produces hormones that protect the gut. T3 and T4 are thyroid hormones that actually play a role in preventing stomach ulcers by modulating the way your stomach lining responds to stress (2).
Weight And Food Sensitivities
Thyroid problems can change hunger levels, weight and food sensitivities. In patients with hypothyroidism, appetite is usually reduced, but weight gain may reach 10% because of fluid retention (3).
Also, compared to the general population, patients with autoimmune thyroiditis have an almost 5-fold increased risk of developing celiac disease.
More serious symptoms of thyroid dysfunction include constipation, which can cause bacteria overgrowth in the intestines and colon and other serious issues.
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Although rare, patients with hypothyroidism are more prone to developing leaky gut syndrome, a condition in which lining becomes permeable and food waste enters the body.
As you can see, the thyroid gland and digestive system are incredibly interconnected.
How To Naturally Improve Thyroid Function
1. Manage your stress and blood sugar: nothing causes chronic inflammation like stress and refined sugar.
2. Recognize food intolerance: these can cause inflammation in your gut and severely affect your endocrine system. Common triggers include dairy, gluten and alcohol.
3. Eat more fruits and veggies: dietary fiber helps absorb toxins and waste within your digestive tract. Natural foods are also full of thyroid-healthy vitamins and nutrients.
4. Stay hydrated: this prevents constipation, toxic overload and poor digestion.
5. Eat probiotic foods: look for whole foods that contain gut-friendly bacteria to replenish and restore your microbiome.
6. Exercise daily: moving is great for digestion and metabolism!
There are a lot of ways ways to keep your thyroid healthy, regardless of what’s affecting it!
- 11 Ways Dehydration Could Be Making You Fat And Sick
The average human body is around 70% water. By not drinking enough water we are causing a whole raft of …
- Fatigue, Vitamin Deficiencies, and Diabetes: 7 Health Problems that Your Hands are Warning You About
The eyes may be the windows to the soul but your hands may be the windows to your blood and …
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- How To Use Himalayan Salt Lamps For Better Air, Sleep And Mental Clarity
Himalayan crystal salt is the purest salt available on earth. Hence why it is used a lot for salt lamps. …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- Here’s The Homemade Cannabis Oil Recipe That People Are Using as a Chemo Alternative
People have been increasingly becoming aware of the anti-cancer benefits of cannabis over the last few years. Many studies done …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- 10 High-Protein Vegetables You Need to Start Eating Today
Protein is the building blocks of muscles as well as bone, skin, hair, and nearly every other part of your …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- The Many Benefits of Coriander Seed Oil and How to Use It
Coriander is a savory spice used extensively in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is the seed of the cilantro …
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …
- Teen Invents Bra That Can Save Millions After Mom Nearly Dies Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the main health concerns that women face in this day and age. For many, learning of …