Essential oils from plants have been found to provide relief and healing for a wide variety of human conditions.
What is essential oil?
“The term ‘essential oil’ is a contraction of the original ‘quintessential oil.’ This stems from the Aristotelian idea that matter is composed of four elements, namely, fire, air, earth, and water.
The fifth element, or quintessence, was then considered to be spirit or life force. Distillation and evaporation were thought to be processes of removing the spirit from the plant and this is also reflected in our language since the term “spirits” is used to describe distilled alcoholic beverages such as brandy, whiskey, and eau de vie.
The last of these again shows reference to the concept of removing the life force from the plant. Nowadays, of course, we know that, far from being spirit, essential oils are physical in nature and composed of complex mixtures of chemicals.” (2)
Through distillation, the essence of the plant is extracted; this includes the plant’s smell, taste, and phytochemicals—like boiling something down to its most fundamental components and structure. (3)
Plants produce these oils to protect themselves, attract insect pollinators, and ward off predators. Because of the nature of the concentrated extract, little of it is needed to reap its rewards. Therapeutic-grade essential oils are high-quality distillations and recommended when used for a specific health goal rather than only for their fragrances.
One use for select essential oils is the promotion of eye health.
Before we say anything more, don’t EVER put an essential oil directly in or on the eye. If contact occurs, place a small drop of carrier oil (olive or coconut) in the corner of the eye and blink. Don’t use water, which will spread the oil around the eye. The essential oil will join with the carrier to lift it out of the eye.
There are three effective methods for applying essential oils to treat the eyes; the first time, attempt treatment around one eye to check for sensitivity. You may mix the essential oil with a carrier (jojoba, olive, avocado, or coconut) to dilute:
Rub 1 drop of the oil between your hands and apply sparingly above the eyebrows and at the top of the cheekbones. The essence will be released and penetrate the eyes.
Apply 2-3 drops of essential oil to a warm cotton cloth and place over closed eyes for 10-15 minutes twice a day.
Rub 1 drop of oil between your hands and hold them cupped over—not on—open eyes for 3 minutes, then over the nose and inhale 6-8 times each day.
Essential Oils for Eye Health
- Frankincense – a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant, this herb has implications for reversing cell degradation. (4) Because essential oils are plants in their most basic form, they permeate cells readily.
- Rosemary – reduces oxidative stress in eye cells, preventing degradation. (5)
- Helichrysum – antioxidant and anti-inflammatory supports nerve function, improving vision.
- Lavender – reduces dry eyes, improves circulation, moisturizes, and assists in cell re-growth. (6)
- Peppermint – promotes oxygenation of eye cells and is vitamin-rich, including A and C—known for promoting eye health.
General Eye Health
- Clary Sage – known in the Middle Ages as “clear eyes” for its ability to support vision; reduces eye strain and fatigue with antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory phytochemicals.
- Cypress – strengthens capillaries and improves blood circulation.
- Lemongrass – maintains and improves tissue health; dilates blood vessels, promoting oxygenation and blood flow.
- Sandalwood – promotes circulation and healing, hydrating surrounding tissues.
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- How To Use Himalayan Salt Lamps For Better Air, Sleep And Mental Clarity
Himalayan crystal salt is the purest salt available on earth. Hence why it is used a lot for salt lamps. …
- The Real Truth: Antidepressants Actually Deplete These 3 Crucial Nutrients for the Brain
Antidepressants are one of the most prescribed medications out there. But how much do you know about the side effects …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- 10 High-Protein Vegetables You Need to Start Eating Today
Protein is the building blocks of muscles as well as bone, skin, hair, and nearly every other part of your …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- The Many Benefits of Coriander Seed Oil and How to Use It
Coriander is a savory spice used extensively in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is the seed of the cilantro …
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …
- Teen Invents Bra That Can Save Millions After Mom Nearly Dies Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the main health concerns that women face in this day and age. For many, learning of …
- They Said Hydrogen Peroxide Was Great, But They Didn’t Tell You This
Hydrogen peroxide is perhaps best known for its ability to clean up wounds. But, as this article will attest to, …
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids Fight Inflammation The Same Way as Cannabis (Via Cannabinoids)
Cannabinoids are powerful healing compounds found in cannabis that bind to cannabinoid receptors in the brain and gut (1). Other …