Essential oils from plants have been found to provide relief and healing for a wide variety of human conditions.
What is essential oil?
“The term ‘essential oil’ is a contraction of the original ‘quintessential oil.’ This stems from the Aristotelian idea that matter is composed of four elements, namely, fire, air, earth, and water.
The fifth element, or quintessence, was then considered to be spirit or life force. Distillation and evaporation were thought to be processes of removing the spirit from the plant and this is also reflected in our language since the term “spirits” is used to describe distilled alcoholic beverages such as brandy, whiskey, and eau de vie.
The last of these again shows reference to the concept of removing the life force from the plant. Nowadays, of course, we know that, far from being spirit, essential oils are physical in nature and composed of complex mixtures of chemicals.” (2)
Through distillation, the essence of the plant is extracted; this includes the plant’s smell, taste, and phytochemicals—like boiling something down to its most fundamental components and structure. (3)
Plants produce these oils to protect themselves, attract insect pollinators, and ward off predators. Because of the nature of the concentrated extract, little of it is needed to reap its rewards. Therapeutic-grade essential oils are high-quality distillations and recommended when used for a specific health goal rather than only for their fragrances.
One use for select essential oils is the promotion of eye health.
Before we say anything more, don’t EVER put an essential oil directly in or on the eye. If contact occurs, place a small drop of carrier oil (olive or coconut) in the corner of the eye and blink. Don’t use water, which will spread the oil around the eye. The essential oil will join with the carrier to lift it out of the eye.
There are three effective methods for applying essential oils to treat the eyes; the first time, attempt treatment around one eye to check for sensitivity. You may mix the essential oil with a carrier (jojoba, olive, avocado, or coconut) to dilute:
Rub 1 drop of the oil between your hands and apply sparingly above the eyebrows and at the top of the cheekbones. The essence will be released and penetrate the eyes.
Apply 2-3 drops of essential oil to a warm cotton cloth and place over closed eyes for 10-15 minutes twice a day.
Rub 1 drop of oil between your hands and hold them cupped over—not on—open eyes for 3 minutes, then over the nose and inhale 6-8 times each day.
Essential Oils for Eye Health
- Frankincense – a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant, this herb has implications for reversing cell degradation. (4) Because essential oils are plants in their most basic form, they permeate cells readily.
- Rosemary – reduces oxidative stress in eye cells, preventing degradation. (5)
- Helichrysum – antioxidant and anti-inflammatory supports nerve function, improving vision.
- Lavender – reduces dry eyes, improves circulation, moisturizes, and assists in cell re-growth. (6)
- Peppermint – promotes oxygenation of eye cells and is vitamin-rich, including A and C—known for promoting eye health.
General Eye Health
- Clary Sage – known in the Middle Ages as “clear eyes” for its ability to support vision; reduces eye strain and fatigue with antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory phytochemicals.
- Cypress – strengthens capillaries and improves blood circulation.
- Lemongrass – maintains and improves tissue health; dilates blood vessels, promoting oxygenation and blood flow.
- Sandalwood – promotes circulation and healing, hydrating surrounding tissues.
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …
- Gut Bacteria Determines Ability to Lose Weight and Keep it Off
Ever wonder why one person will gain weight so easily while another easily remains skinny? Certainly a lot has to …
- Lots of People Have Food Allergies – You Could Too
The gluten-free health trend has swept the nation but that’s not the only food allergy around. Believe it or not, …
- These Police Officers Meditate Before They Start Their Day! What If Every Cop Did This?
If you’ve seen the pictures of meditating police officers, you might have thought that is was either a joke or …
- 7 Conditions that are Caused by Sleeping with Wet Hair
If you find yourself frequently sleeping with wet hair, you may think twice after reading this. You won’t magically wake …
- How To Safely Remove Skin Tags At Home Using THIS Inexpensive Bathroom Item
Skin tags are little annoying flaps of skin that look a bit like warts (1). They’re usually either pink or …
- These Foods Make Cancer Cells Grow In Your Body! Stop Eating Them Right Now!
We’ve come to know, through medical research and ancestral wisdom, that there are foods that contain certain nutrients that prevent …
- It’s True: Irregular Periods Can Indicate Heath Problems
“My Friend”, “The Monthlies”, “That Time of the Month”, “The Curse”, and other less pleasant idioms for monthly menstruation refer …
- 4 Common Household Chores With Unexpected Health Benefits
There’s a reason why people with regular routines lead more productive lives. As they say: A tidy home makes a happy …
- Why Eating Low-Fat Is The Worst Thing You Can Do For Weight Loss
Contrary to popular belief, low-fat foods aren’t any healthier or safer to eat than their full-fat versions. Low-fat diets endorsed …
- 8 Health Benefits of Laughter
A good, hearty laugh is always fun and indicative of an experience you probably won’t forget any time soon, but …
- Flu vs. Cold, and Why You Need to Know the Difference
Flu season is well underway, and if you haven’t contracted the flu yet this year, you should consider yourself lucky! …
- 5 Alarming Ways Chronic Stress Is Destroying Your Brain And What You Can Do About It
Not all stress is bad for you. Some forms of stress serve to sharpen your focus and push you to …
- This French Beekeeper Trained His Bees To Make Honey From Cannabis
Honey and cannabis are some of the most healing natural substances known to man. While one is available nearly all …
- 4-Ingredient Coconut Milk Ice Cream: The Ultimate Metabolism-Boosting Dessert!
There’s nothing like a nice cone of ice cream to make you feel refreshed on a summer evening. While there …