Essential oils from plants have been found to provide relief and healing for a wide variety of human conditions.
What is essential oil?
“The term ‘essential oil’ is a contraction of the original ‘quintessential oil.’ This stems from the Aristotelian idea that matter is composed of four elements, namely, fire, air, earth, and water.
The fifth element, or quintessence, was then considered to be spirit or life force. Distillation and evaporation were thought to be processes of removing the spirit from the plant and this is also reflected in our language since the term “spirits” is used to describe distilled alcoholic beverages such as brandy, whiskey, and eau de vie.
The last of these again shows reference to the concept of removing the life force from the plant. Nowadays, of course, we know that, far from being spirit, essential oils are physical in nature and composed of complex mixtures of chemicals.” (2)
Through distillation, the essence of the plant is extracted; this includes the plant’s smell, taste, and phytochemicals—like boiling something down to its most fundamental components and structure. (3)
Plants produce these oils to protect themselves, attract insect pollinators, and ward off predators. Because of the nature of the concentrated extract, little of it is needed to reap its rewards. Therapeutic-grade essential oils are high-quality distillations and recommended when used for a specific health goal rather than only for their fragrances.
One use for select essential oils is the promotion of eye health.
Before we say anything more, don’t EVER put an essential oil directly in or on the eye. If contact occurs, place a small drop of carrier oil (olive or coconut) in the corner of the eye and blink. Don’t use water, which will spread the oil around the eye. The essential oil will join with the carrier to lift it out of the eye.
There are three effective methods for applying essential oils to treat the eyes; the first time, attempt treatment around one eye to check for sensitivity. You may mix the essential oil with a carrier (jojoba, olive, avocado, or coconut) to dilute:
Rub 1 drop of the oil between your hands and apply sparingly above the eyebrows and at the top of the cheekbones. The essence will be released and penetrate the eyes.
Apply 2-3 drops of essential oil to a warm cotton cloth and place over closed eyes for 10-15 minutes twice a day.
Rub 1 drop of oil between your hands and hold them cupped over—not on—open eyes for 3 minutes, then over the nose and inhale 6-8 times each day.
Essential Oils for Eye Health
- Frankincense – a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant, this herb has implications for reversing cell degradation. (4) Because essential oils are plants in their most basic form, they permeate cells readily.
- Rosemary – reduces oxidative stress in eye cells, preventing degradation. (5)
- Helichrysum – antioxidant and anti-inflammatory supports nerve function, improving vision.
- Lavender – reduces dry eyes, improves circulation, moisturizes, and assists in cell re-growth. (6)
- Peppermint – promotes oxygenation of eye cells and is vitamin-rich, including A and C—known for promoting eye health.
General Eye Health
- Clary Sage – known in the Middle Ages as “clear eyes” for its ability to support vision; reduces eye strain and fatigue with antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory phytochemicals.
- Cypress – strengthens capillaries and improves blood circulation.
- Lemongrass – maintains and improves tissue health; dilates blood vessels, promoting oxygenation and blood flow.
- Sandalwood – promotes circulation and healing, hydrating surrounding tissues.
- Your Body Is Acidic. Here’s What You NEED To Do (The Real Truth Behind Cancer…)
Ever heard of Dr. Otto H. Warburg? Unless you or your family member has suffered from cancer and tried to …
- 9 Pesticide-filled Teas You Should Never Buy (and the Kind You Should!)
Tea is one of the most popular drinks enjoyed around the world. Americans drink up to 80 billion cups of …
- Take THIS Before Bed to Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat While You Sleep
Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat It’s normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few pounds, even when you exercise …
- The EXACT Amount of Epsom Salts You Should Be Adding to Your Bath Based on Your Weight
Epsom salt may look like salt, but it’s actually magnesium sulfate, a mineral compound (1). Epsom salt can be used …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …
- 16 Delicious Foods That Burn Belly Fat and Support Weight Loss
Obesity is a way-to-common problem in America and throughout the world. In fact, according to the Nation Health Institute, in …
- How Only 15 Minutes of Walking Can Change Everything
Walking is the most ordinary thing a human can do. Unless we have a physical impairment, we take this activity …
- Here’s What You Didn’t Know You Could Do With Baking Soda (From Fighting Heartburn To Cancer)
Baking soda is one of those things that can do pretty much anything. Whether you use it for cleaning, personal hygiene …
- Try the World’s 7 Easiest Exercises for Back Fat and Underarm Flab
Fitness is a whole-body state. Muscle strength and tone along with cardiovascular health go together to complete the picture. No …
- Remove All Toxins From The Body In 3 Days (Prevent Cancer, Excess Fat And Water Retention!)
If you’re feeling tired or sluggish, it may be time to cleanse and detox your body. Things like stress, poor …