“Probiotic” is talked about so much in health food and health blog circles that it can start to seem like a buzzword.
And there’s a reason why probiotics are such a big deal – fermented foods like kombucha, kimchi, sauerkraut, and so on have many proven health benefits, especially when it comes to promoting healthy digestion (1).
But there are so many more uses for probiotics than just promoting digestive health. In fact, they can help improve the balance of bacteria in the largest organ of your body – your skin! The benefits are numerous: eczema, psoriasis, skin rashes and infection can all be relieved if a proper bacterial balance can be restored to the skin.
Your skin is home to trillions of good bacteria which prevent the growth and development of harmful bacteria. Maintaining a balance that favors these beneficial bacteria is key to maintaining healthy, beautiful skin.
Unfortunately, many commercially-available deodorants can upset this delicate balance, making you more susceptible to rashes, infections, and allergic reactions. In addition to this, there’s a strong correlation between use of commercial deodorants and the development of specific cancers (2).
That’s why more and more people these days are turning to DIY-style alternatives, like making their own deodorants.
Homemade Probiotic Deodorant Recipe
- 1 tbsp cocoa butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp shea butter
- 1 tbsp beeswax
- 2 1/2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp vitamin E oil
- 15 drops essential oils
- 2 capsules powdered probiotics
- Over low heat, melt together the cocoa butter, coconut oil, shea butter and beeswax.
- Removing the pot from the heat, add the baking soda and arrowroot power.
- Whisk the mixture until the powders are dissolved.
- Add the vitamin E oil and essential oils.
- Allow the whole thing to cool until it has the consistency of pudding.
- Once it’s cooled, open the probiotics capsules and add the powder to the mixture, stirring until the powder is dissolved.
You can fill a clean, used deodorant container with the mixture or any container you’d like to use. Then store it in the refrigerator to keep it nice and firm. This mixture will last a while – a little goes a long way, after all!
How It Works
The probiotic powder you use should contain highly resistant beneficial bacteria, such as lactobacillis and/or bifidobacetria. These are good bacteria which are particularly hardy, and help restore the pH balance of your skin. The baking soda in this recipe helps control odor, but if you have sensitive skin, you can always substitute the baking soda for more arrowroot powder for the same effects.
- 2 Kids Go Around The City Asking Smokers For a Light… What Happens Next Will Surprise You!
A television advertisement made in Thailand, which aimed to get people to quit smoking, has been hailed as one of …
- 15 Easy Ways to Overcome Anxiety Now
When your anxious thoughts creep up from all sides to start whining in your ear, you may feel that fighting …
- 80% Of Heart Attacks Could Be Avoided If Everyone Did These 5 Easy Things
The American Heart Association releases heart disease stats annually (1). Cardiovascular disease accounts for about 1/3 of the death toll …
- 4 Natural Ingredients You Can Eat To Help Your Body Detox And Flush Out Heavy Metals
We live in a world full of toxins. From the food we eat, the water we drink, and the air we …
- 8 Surprising Reasons Why Drinking Red Wine Can Actually Be Good For Your Overall Health
While too much of anything is inevitably bad for you, indulging in certain vices in moderation can actually have a …
- You’re Texting All Wrong and It’s Killing Your Spine
Are you on Facebook surfing right now? Or perhaps texting your friends via cellphone? If you are then stop for a …
- Hexavalent Chromium (Chromium-6) Was Just Found In 75% Of Drinking Water
Access to clean drinking water is a basic human right- or at least it should be. While there are many …
- Compounds in Marijuana Remove Plaque-forming Alzheimer’s Proteins from Brain Cells
When an established, respected health research institution talks, people listen. The Salk Institute in La Jolla, California has recently published …
- Drink This 2x a Day To Remove Uric Acid Before It Crystallizes In Your Joints And Becomes Painful
Detox juices are an effective method to rejuvenate your body and improve your overall health. As a matter of fact, a natural …
- Hand-Foot-And-Mouth Disease Is Sweeping Across Parts Of The US: Experts Beg Parents To Know These Signs
If you have kids, you probably know about Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD). While it sounds like a peculiar …
- Scientists In Amsterdam Just Destroyed Breast Cancer Tumors In 11 Days Without Chemo
For many women, breast cancer may seem like a death sentence. But scientists in Europe may have found a new …
- Crunchy Zucchini Fritters with Avocado Dill Dip
Fried foods certainly have their appeal, but they aren’t exactly healthy or easy to make. In an effort to make …
- If You See this Red Mark on Yourself or a Family Member, Seek Medical Attention Immediately!
Being outdoors is wonderful, but it has its risks. Rashes and bug bites are almost a guarantee when you spend …
- 12 Types of Pain That Are Directly Linked To Emotional States
You may have noticed that people who are often ill tend to be pretty negative. Of course, it’s hard to …
- Smile! How To Be Happy Now In 10 Easy Steps
Happiness doesn’t just feel good – it’s good for your health. Multiple studies have shown that depression and anxiety are …