Bacterial ointments are an essential part of family first aid kits. When children have a bug bite or a scraped knee, parents often reach for the product without a second thought.
However, research is showing that this habit contributes directly to worldwide antibacterial resistance. Because bacteria that frequently come in contact with antibacterial agents tend to build up a resistance, which can easily start an epidemic if another alternative is not found.
A study is published in Emerging Infectious Diseases suggests that these ointments, like Polysporin and Neosporin may be one of the factors behind the spread of an especially severe MRSA strain, called USA300, around the world (1).
MRSA is spread through skin-to-skin contact and is often contracted by children and hospital patients. Infection starts with pimple-like spots that quickly develop into deep pus-filled sores.
This aggressive disease then spread to the blood, lungs, and other organs and can cause irreversible damage and even death.
How To Make Your Own Antibacterial Ointment
This natural ointment is easy to make and will keep in a closed jar for about a year.
Here’s what each ingredient does:
Calendula: reduces inflammation, fights bacteria and promotes wound healing (3).
Lavender: inhibits the growth of Staphylococcus aureus, the cause of MSSA and MRSA (4). Lavender oil also helps against anxiety and stress.
Tea tree: works as a local antiseptic for cuts and abrasions, burns, insect bites and stings as well as working as an anti-fungal substance (5).
Coconut Oil: a potent anti-fungal and antibacterial substance that also helps hydrate the skin and promotes cell regeneration (6).
Honey: an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory that works wonderfully on rashes (7).
Let’s get started!
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup dried calendula
- 2oz beeswax
- 2 tablespoons of honey (optional)
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 8 drops Melaleuca/Tea Tree essential oil
- In a double boiler over low heat, combine the coconut oil and olive oil. If you don’t have a double boiler, you can use a large glass or metal bowl set over a pot of boiling water.
- Once the coconut oil is completely melted, add in the calendula. Allow it to infuse for 30 minutes.
- Once it’s infused, pour mixture through a cheesecloth and into a small bowl.
- Return the mix to your double boiler over low heat.
- Add the beeswax and heat until melted, stirring occasionally.
- Once it’s melted, add the honey and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Turn off the heat and add essential oils.
- Pour the mixture into a large glass jar with a lid. Keep stirring while the mixture solidifies (takes about 6 minutes).
- This 2-Ingredient Mix Is All You Need To Get Rid Of Nail Fungus For Good!
There’s a lot of things that can affect your feet, whether it be athlete’s foot, ingrown toenails or foot pain. …
- Never Light These Candles In Your Home No Matter What – Here’s Why
Candles have a way to set the mood. Whether it’s a nice relaxing bath or a romantic dinner, flickering candles …
- Carrots and Other Carotenoid-Rich Vegetables Boost Male Fertility
‘Carotenoids’ is the group name given to: alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, beta-cryptoxanthin, lutein and lycopene – all of which have been found …
- If You Ever Get Stuck In a Sinking Car, THIS Is What You MUST Do To Survive!
The idea of drowning is terrifying. Sadly, in many cases, drownings could have been easily avoided if the victim had …
- If You Ever See Your Kids Sitting Like THIS, Stop Them Immediately! Here’s Why…
Parents often mistake w-sitting for flexibility. In fact, to parents, the position seems harmless. However, experts suggest that this way …
- This Sea “Vegetable” Is Nutritious, Fast Growing And Tastes Just Like Bacon
It’s red, leafy, and vaguely resembles some kind of lettuce, but make no mistake – this patented new strain of …
- Cut Your Watermelon THIS Way And Never Have Juice Dripping Down Your Chin Again!
Watermelon isn’t just a healthy snack: it’s a summer staple. Perhaps one of the most popular ways to eat it …
- Why Seven Hours of Sleep Might be Better than Eight
You can live without food much longer than you can go without sleep. We’ve been told that eight hours of …
- Numbers of Lawsuits Skyrocketing Against “The Most Financially Successful Drug of All Time”
Maybe it’s a coincidence. But probably not. After the patent for Lipitor expired in 2011, the Food and Drug Administration …
- Drink This Banana Cinnamon Tea For Better Sleep (It’s a Lot Safer Than Sleeping Pills!)
Sleep used to be so easy. As a child, you likely had no problem falling asleep at night. But that’s all changed. …
- How Your Smartphone Light Affects Your Brain And Body (Infographic)
Your smartphone screen produces a blue light to make it easy to use in bright and dark environments. However, at …
- Early Prevention: The Top 10 Signs of Cervical Cancer
Cervical cancer ranks as the 14th  most common type of cancer in women in the U.S. Prior to the …
- Former American Cancer Society Regional CEO Refuses To Drink Milk, Explains Why
“Got Milk?” While this was the U.S. dairy industry’s slogan for over two decades, former CEO of the Oregon division …
- Get SuperBetter: How a Game Can Add Years to Your Life
When Jane McGonigal suffered a severe concussion, she became more and more depressed as a result of not being able …
- Top 11 Reasons Why Your Metabolism Isn’t Working at 100%
In spite of all the information and all the prescriptions offered by modern diets, people just keep getting fatter. This …