Bacterial ointments are an essential part of family first aid kits. When children have a bug bite or a scraped knee, parents often reach for the product without a second thought.
However, research is showing that this habit contributes directly to worldwide antibacterial resistance. Because bacteria that frequently come in contact with antibacterial agents tend to build up a resistance, which can easily start an epidemic if another alternative is not found.
A study is published in Emerging Infectious Diseases suggests that these ointments, like Polysporin and Neosporin may be one of the factors behind the spread of an especially severe MRSA strain, called USA300, around the world (1).
MRSA is spread through skin-to-skin contact and is often contracted by children and hospital patients. Infection starts with pimple-like spots that quickly develop into deep pus-filled sores.
This aggressive disease then spread to the blood, lungs, and other organs and can cause irreversible damage and even death.
How To Make Your Own Antibacterial Ointment
This natural ointment is easy to make and will keep in a closed jar for about a year.
Here’s what each ingredient does:
Calendula: reduces inflammation, fights bacteria and promotes wound healing (3).
Lavender: inhibits the growth of Staphylococcus aureus, the cause of MSSA and MRSA (4). Lavender oil also helps against anxiety and stress.
Tea tree: works as a local antiseptic for cuts and abrasions, burns, insect bites and stings as well as working as an anti-fungal substance (5).
Coconut Oil: a potent anti-fungal and antibacterial substance that also helps hydrate the skin and promotes cell regeneration (6).
Honey: an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory that works wonderfully on rashes (7).
Let’s get started!
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup dried calendula
- 2oz beeswax
- 2 tablespoons of honey (optional)
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 8 drops Melaleuca/Tea Tree essential oil
- In a double boiler over low heat, combine the coconut oil and olive oil. If you don’t have a double boiler, you can use a large glass or metal bowl set over a pot of boiling water.
- Once the coconut oil is completely melted, add in the calendula. Allow it to infuse for 30 minutes.
- Once it’s infused, pour mixture through a cheesecloth and into a small bowl.
- Return the mix to your double boiler over low heat.
- Add the beeswax and heat until melted, stirring occasionally.
- Once it’s melted, add the honey and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Turn off the heat and add essential oils.
- Pour the mixture into a large glass jar with a lid. Keep stirring while the mixture solidifies (takes about 6 minutes).
- The Surprising Cause of Skin Cancer (And No, It’s Not Too Much Sun!)
Melanoma is one of the most common cancers to affect Americans. The Skin Cancer Foundation reports that “Over the past …
- Why an MRI costs $1,080 in America and $280 in France
Health care costs in the United States are higher than in any other OECD (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development) country, …
- Mix One Ingredient With Orange Juice To Flush Toxic Buildup From The Lungs
Mention tartar and some people might think you are talking about the ugly plaque dentists are always warning you about. …
- Sleep Helps Flush Toxins From The Brain
A good night’s rest may clear your head – literally. For centuries, scientists and philosophers have wondered why people sleep and …
- Ex-Pharma Sales Rep Reveals Shady Practices of Pharmaceutical Drug Companies
Many people rely on medications supplied by pharmaceutical companies to manage pain, mental health conditions, and even to survive. But …
- Top 5 Weight Loss Drinks You Need To Try
Thinking about losing a few extra pounds? The only true way to shed off unwanted weight is with a strict …
- 5 Popular Foods That Scrub Away Bad Bacteria To Give You Fresh Breath
Nobody likes to be told they have bad breath. If you’ve got a hot date coming up, you probably already …
- Brilliant Invention by 15-Year-Old to Help Alzheimer’s Sufferers and Caregivers
Over five million people in the U.S. have Alzheimer’s. It is the sixth biggest killer disease. The victims of this …
- Doctors Warn Women Everywhere To Throw Out Their Cheap Loofahs Right Now
You probably already know that your kitchen sponge is a nasty, smelly, breeding ground for any number of disgusting bacteria. …
- How to Remove Fluoride, Allergens, Mercury, And Chemicals With Diatomaceous Earth
Diatomaceous Earth is quickly gaining popularity for its numerous health benefits. Unlike its name will lead you to believe, diatomaceous …
- Clear Your Lungs And Sinuses In 30 Minutes With These Homemade Shower Disks
No one likes feeling sick. Having a sore throat, puffy eyes, and a stuffy nose is a recipe for sleepless …
- The Shrimp You Eat May Not be What You Think It Is
We can spend hours in the grocery store reading labels. We want to make the best choices for our families. …
- You Will Be Shocked by What Caused This Child’s Massive Tooth Decay!
For many families around the world, a trip to the dentist is a luxury they can’t afford. This has led …
- 7 Surprising Causes That Can Send Your Blood Sugar Levels on a Rollercoaster Ride of Highs and Lows
For those with diabetes, keeping their blood sugar levels in check can be a hassle. There are many variables that …
- Simple Recipe To Make Your Own Non-Toxic Bug Repellent!
There’s nothing like a few mosquito bites to ruin your day outside. Not only are bites itchy and annoying, they …