By now, you’ve probably seen enough yogurt and almond advertisements to know that calcium has become a strong selling point.
Sure, calcium plays an important for the structure and function of the bones and teeth, but its importance goes way beyond just that.
Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the body, and for good reason: It’s required for vascular contraction and vasodilation, muscle function, nerve transmission, intracellular signaling, hormonal secretion, and to make blood clots.
1% of your body’s calcium content goes towards these functions while the other 99% remains in the bones and teeth. As your body performs functions requiring calcium, it leeches calcium from old bone cells. Bones are actually continuously being broken down and remodeled as you consume and use calcium (1,2).
To keep your bones at their best, the National Institute of Health recommends 1,000mg a day for adult women and 1,200mg for men.
Here’s an easy chart with the recommendations. Of course, certain health conditions may require that you consult your doctor, naturopath, or nutritionist to adjust your intake.
|0–6 months*||200 mg||200 mg|
|7–12 months*||260 mg||260 mg|
|1–3 years||700 mg||700 mg|
|4–8 years||1,000 mg||1,000 mg|
|9–13 years||1,300 mg||1,300 mg|
|14–18 years||1,300 mg||1,300 mg||1,300 mg||1,300 mg|
|19–50 years||1,000 mg||1,000 mg||1,000 mg||1,000 mg|
|51–70 years||1,000 mg||1,200 mg|
|71+ years||1,200 mg||1,200 mg|
These quantities can be a difficult to reach through diet alone for vegans, pregnant women, and lactose intolerant people. Not getting of calcium can lead to osteopenia, which may develop into osteoporosis (3).
The Warning Signs
Osteopenia is much easier to manage and reverse than osteoporosis is, so watch out for these signs to know if you’re getting enough calcium. If you experience any of the symptoms below, talk to your doctor (4).
Muscle cramps and pains: Nighttime leg cramps can be an indication that your magnesium, potassium, and calcium levels are too low since these minerals regulate muscle contraction (5). These symptoms can normally be remedied by eating calcium-rich food before bed and taking a nightly Epsom salt bath.
Bruising easily : Since calcium plays a role in clotting blood, it can stop a small bruise from spreading or appearing by restricting the amount of blood that escapes damaged capillaries.
Receding gums : This symptom is most common is menopausal women as their jaw loses bone mass and it begins to affect the teeth and gums. Similarly, toothaches can also be a prime indication of calcium deficiency.
Height loss : Shrinking grandparents isn’t a myth– spinal fracture caused by low bone density and atrophied muscles can make you get shorter as you age. Losing strength is another prime symptom of calcium deficiency that shouldn’t be ignored.
Memory loss : Calcium is important for nerve signaling, so not getting enough in your youth can lead to memory problems as well as other neurological symptoms.
Brittle nails : Calcium is necessary for strong nails- so much so that brittle nails are one of the earliest signs of calcium deficiency. This symptom is less obvious in swimmers and gardeners, as these hobbies weaken nails.
How To Make Your Own Supplement
Instead of buying expensive supplements that can have questionable origins, you can actually make your own calcium powder at home by using something you typically throw out – egg shells.
Keep in mind that your total of calcium intake should be around 1,000mg, not your supplement intake alone. In most cases, 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of this eggshell supplement (equivalent to 450-900mg, respectively) is enough to help you meet your daily goals alongside the calcium you get through your diet.
Too much calcium can lead to cardiovascular issues, kidney stones, acute gastrointestinal symptoms, and nutrient malabsorption, so it’s important to adjust your supplement intake only to fill in the gaps that your meals can’t provide (7).
- 12 eggshells
- A colander
- A large pot
- A cookie sheet
- A blender
- Fill a pot large enough to accommodate all the shells with water and bring it to a boil.
- Rinse the empty eggshells using a colander.
- Make sure to leave the membrane in the shell.
- Carefully transfer the eggshells into the pot and boil for ten minutes, submerging any floating eggs. This will kill any potential pathogens on the shell.
- In the meantime, preheat your oven to 200°F.
- After they’ve boiled, remove the eggs from the water and let them drain.
- Place the eggs on a cookie sheet, jagged side up.
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Grind them up in a blender or coffee grinder until they form a fine powder.
To help your body process the calcium, take it with foods rich in calcium, Vitamin D, and vitamin K2.
- How To Cleanse Your Kidneys Almost Instantly Using This Natural Home Drink
Your kidneys are constantly filtering your blood, making sure that waste products exit your body from urine. When you live …
- 8 Aches and Pains That May be Indicative of a Serious Health Problem
From time to time, it is completely normal to experience an ache or pain and you should not let it …
- To Lose Weight, Eating Less Is Far More Important Than Exercising More
There is no question that engaging in a regular exercise regimen affords innumerable health benefits. From cardiovascular strength to staving …
- USDA Says: Okay To Ship U.S. Chickens to China for Cheap Processing Then Back Home For You to Eat
A new shipping and processing policy allowing chickens raised and slaughtered in the U.S. to be shipped to China for …
- How To Get Clear, Glowing, Spotless Skin By Using Aloe Vera Gel
The Ancient Egyptians called the aloe vera plant the “plant of immortality,” which should give you some insight into its …
- Trucker Gets Off 25 Meds and Overcomes Cancer With Raw Food Diet!
Dave Conrardy is a former trucker who, not too long ago, was dying from cancer, heart disease, diabetes, kidney leakage, …
- Honey Wraps Gently Cures Cough And Removes Mucus From The Lungs In Just One Night!
Yes, that’s right, honey wraps can cure common colds very quickly. Cough and cold are minor ailments but sometimes it …
- Perform THIS Simple Massage Every Night and Your Belly Fat Will Disappear!
As unpleasant as it may sound, we need fat in our bodies and a belly fat massage is not as …
- How To Effectively Cleanse Your Lungs In Just 72 Hours
The start of the industrial revolution brought about the rise of airborne pollution. These last few hundred years have dramatically …
- How To Get Silky Smooth Feet With This Natural Treatment Using Baking Soda
Soft, well groomed smooth feet are important to many woman. With uncomfortable shoe designs, errands to run, and jobs that …
- Lots of People Have Food Allergies – You Could Too
The gluten-free health trend has swept the nation but that’s not the only food allergy around. Believe it or not, …
- 5 Easy Steps to Improve Gut Health And Kill Hidden Bad Bugs That Make You Sick
As modern medicine evolves, we learn more and more about our bodies and the vast number of ways various parts …
- The Germiest Places In Your Kitchen
You probably do a pretty decent job of keeping your kitchen clean – you scrub down the counters, rinse out …
- 12 Simple Epsom Salt Beauty Hacks For Your Skin, Lips And Hair
Epsom salt is one of mother nature’s best heal-alls. Named after a town in England where it’s extracted from the …
- This 2-Ingredient Mix Is All You Need To Get Rid Of Nail Fungus For Good!
There’s a lot of things that can affect your feet, whether it be athlete’s foot, ingrown toenails or foot pain. …