Despite being advertised as containing “real fruit”, commercial fruit roll-ups contain in fact more hydrogenated oil and high-fructose corn syrup than they do fruit. The little fruit they do contain is a made-from-concentrate product rather than the real fruit (1).
And that’s not even getting into the added flavoring, coloring and chemicals meant to make the treat more appealing.
Fortunately, you can make these childhood treats at home and avoid all these unpleasant ingredients. Plus, making them yourself means that you can also add more healthy ingredients into the mix, like gelatin.
Benefits Of Gelatin
Gelatin is a collagen-filled product make from the boiled-down bones, cartilage and fibers leftover by the meat industry. Collagen is a fibrous protein that allows the body’s connective tissues to be more elastic. Your body produces collagen naturally, but this process is impaired as you get older (2).
It’s believed that eating collagen-rich foods like gelatin helps strengthen bones, joints, and fingernails as well as improve hair health & skin elasticity and shorten recovery after injury.
The food is often used to improve mobility of frequently used joints like knees, fingers, and wrists in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis (3).
The yummy recipe bellow combines these two nutrients to keep your joints fluid and strong.
How To Make Fruit Roll-Ups
- 4 cups of washed and chopped fruit (blueberries, pineapples and bananas)
- 1 teaspoon of peeled and minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons of grass-fed gelatin
- Add your fruit to a large blender or food processor and pulse on high until it forms a liquid mixture.
- Once combined into a puree, add the gelatin to the mix and blend again until well combined.
- Prepare your dehydrator or a parchment paper-line baking tray. If you don’t have a dehydrator, preheat your oven to 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour the mixture one cup at a time and spread by tilting your tray. Finish when your puree is 1/4 inch thick.
- Turn on your dehydrator on low and let it dry for 6-10 hours. If you’re using your oven, bake for 5-6 hours.
- Lay your fruit on a clean sheet and cut into strips. Store in airtight containers and it will keep for months.
- Top 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods You Can Eat Every Day
The links between chronic inflammation and increased risk of diseases like cancer are well documented – as one study puts …
- How To Make Chocolate Cake With Avocado Instead Of Eggs And Butter
If you’re a real bonafide health nut, then chances are that you always have a few avocados in your kitchen. …
- 30 Simple and Effective Whole Food Substitutes to Improve Your Total Wellness Right Away
If you haven’t caught up by now, the Standard American Diet – appropriately nicknamed SAD – is horrible. It’s literally …
- Pineapple And Turmeric Drink Reverses Cancer-Causing Inflammation And Even Beats The Common Cold!
Pineapple, turmeric, ginger and lemon all have two things in common. They’re all ingredients that have been shown to have …
- This Drink Will Burn Stomach Fat 4X Faster, Prevent Cancer, Improve Energy And Remove Toxins
Most tea can be found either in tea bag or loose leaf form. Occasionally, it can also be fermented and …
- Do Not Use Apple Cider Vinegar If You’re On Any Of These Medications
Nothing exists in a vacuum. Our bodies are complex organisms that are constantly moving, with chemicals acting and interacting. Sometimes …
- Top 10 Plant-Based Protein Foods You Should Be Eating
Proteins (comprised of a variety of twenty amino acids) provide cell structure and serve as neurotransmitters between cells. There’s protein …
- How Taking Turmeric Helps Your Body Block Fat and Your Liver Remove Toxins as Fast as Possible
Turmeric, “the golden spice”, is a staple in India and surrounding regions. As of late, it’s becoming increasingly popular in …
- The First U.S. School District to Begin Serving Only Organic, GMO-Free Meals
Hail to the trailblazers! No one would argue the importance of nutrition, especially for children. As their bodies develop, they …
- Soak Chia Seeds To Supercharge Your Metabolism, Burn Fat And Fight Inflammation
You may have heard about chia pets, the adorable children’s toy made from sprouted seeds. These beloved toys are actually …
- 92 Alkaline Foods That Fight Cancer, Inflammation, Diabetes and Heart Disease
Human life, just like all life on earth, depends on appropriate pH levels in and around living organisms and cells. …
- 11 Good Reasons Why Ignoring Polyphenols In Your Diet Is a Big Mistake!
What is something that dark chocolate, green tea, red wine, blueberries, flaxseed, and coffee all have in common? Polyphenols! Polyphenols …
- Top 13 Inflammatory Foods You Should Avoid
As we get older, our bodies don’t always keep up. Muscles aren’t as strong as they used to be, skin …
- How Much Water Do We Need To Drink, According To Our Weight?
If you’ve never taken the time to appreciate all the health benefits of water, now may just be the right …
- How To Make Alkaline Water To Fight Fatigue, Digestive Issues And Cancer
Is alkaline water good for you? A healthy body should always be slightly alkaline. The majority of people today, however, tend to …