Despite being advertised as containing “real fruit”, commercial fruit roll-ups contain in fact more hydrogenated oil and high-fructose corn syrup than they do fruit. The little fruit they do contain is a made-from-concentrate product rather than the real fruit (1).
And that’s not even getting into the added flavoring, coloring and chemicals meant to make the treat more appealing.
Fortunately, you can make these childhood treats at home and avoid all these unpleasant ingredients. Plus, making them yourself means that you can also add more healthy ingredients into the mix, like gelatin.
Benefits Of Gelatin
Gelatin is a collagen-filled product make from the boiled-down bones, cartilage and fibers leftover by the meat industry. Collagen is a fibrous protein that allows the body’s connective tissues to be more elastic. Your body produces collagen naturally, but this process is impaired as you get older (2).
It’s believed that eating collagen-rich foods like gelatin helps strengthen bones, joints, and fingernails as well as improve hair health & skin elasticity and shorten recovery after injury.
The food is often used to improve mobility of frequently used joints like knees, fingers, and wrists in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis (3).
The yummy recipe bellow combines these two nutrients to keep your joints fluid and strong.
How To Make Fruit Roll-Ups
- 4 cups of washed and chopped fruit (blueberries, pineapples and bananas)
- 1 teaspoon of peeled and minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons of grass-fed gelatin
- Add your fruit to a large blender or food processor and pulse on high until it forms a liquid mixture.
- Once combined into a puree, add the gelatin to the mix and blend again until well combined.
- Prepare your dehydrator or a parchment paper-line baking tray. If you don’t have a dehydrator, preheat your oven to 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour the mixture one cup at a time and spread by tilting your tray. Finish when your puree is 1/4 inch thick.
- Turn on your dehydrator on low and let it dry for 6-10 hours. If you’re using your oven, bake for 5-6 hours.
- Lay your fruit on a clean sheet and cut into strips. Store in airtight containers and it will keep for months.
- Top 8 Disgusting Facts About Fast Food
What you know about fast food is probably bad enough. What you don’t know may be even worse. The realities …
- Eggs Don’t Cause Heart Attacks – Sugar Does
No one can deny there is an ongoing obesity epidemic in North America. Finally, a study published in the Journal …
- Store-Bought Almond Milk Is Fake…When You See How Many Actual Almonds Are In It, You’ll Agree.
Raw almonds are full of complete protein, healthy fats and antioxidants. Their skin also contains phenols, flavonoids and phenolic …
- This Mouthwatering Egg Recipe is Perfect for Lazy Mornings
They say breakfast, your first meal of the day, is the most important one. But it’s also the most often skipped. …
- This Guy Cooks an Egg on Parchment Paper. What Happens Next is Pure Genius!
If you’re a big fan of eggs in the morning this awesome nonstick pan cooking tip will blow your mind and …
- You’ve Been Drinking Coffee at the Wrong Time…Here’s What Researchers Recommend Instead
Americans LOVE their coffee. It’s estimated that eighty percent of all adults drink caffeine on a daily basis and of …
- This 3-Ingredient Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Is High In Potassium And Protein
Chocolate cake is one of the most popular indulgences in the world. But anyone who’s ever tried to lose weight …
- Can the Paleo Diet Improve Your Health?
When our caveman ancestors roamed the earth thousands and thousands of years ago during the Paleolithic era, they relied on …
- Eat 7 Walnuts And Wait 4 Hours: This Is What Will Happen To You!
Almonds seem to get all the spotlight when it comes to how healthy nuts can be. Although it’s true that they’re …
- The 10 Most Cancer Causing Foods
Over the past few decades many common food items have been linked to increased cancer risk. Here are the 10 …
- Hilarious Video Exposes What ‘Natural’ Products Really Mean
Millions have been duped by the use of corporate language within the food products industry. Related: 5 Ways Food Manufacturers are …
- Adding Poached Eggs To Your Salad Increases Nutrient Absorption by Four to Five-Fold, Study Says
If you’re looking for a light but nutritious meal, a salad can be just the ticket – but be cautious: …
- The Suprising Reason Why You Should Eat ONE Carrot Every Day And The Best Way To Prepare Them
Carrots aren’t only good for your eyesight, and though beta-carotene is often thought of as the most beneficial compound within …
- Eat More Kale With These 6 Recipes
Spring is the best time of year for leafy greens like kale. Ranked as one of the healthiest vegetables that …
- Fruit Peels Help Remove Heavy Metals and Purify Water
Did you know that fruit can purify water? The peels of some popular fruits are efficient absorbers of many harmful …