Hormones are chemical transmitters in the body that tell cells what to do and when.
They are produced by the body’s glands through the normal course of living and are stimulated by both internal and external influences.
In our toxic world, with pathogens found in everything with which we come into contact, hormone production can get out of whack.
5 Key Hormones
Of all the hormones in our bodies, there are five that are especially influential on our overall health.
The stress hormone. We need some stress to keep us going and for bursts of energy when it’s needed. Too much cortisol raises blood sugar levels, causing weight gain, chronic fatigue, and can lead to fatty liver disease. Not enough and we’re like a wet rag: tired and weak, with low immune system function.
2. Dihydrotestosterone (DHT)
Dihydrotestosterone is an androgen– a male sex hormone. Women have it, too, but at lower levels. Different androgens are responsible for males’ physical characteristics, including male-patterned baldness (1). A synthesized form of testosterone, too much DHT in men can cause acne, enlarged prostate, and enlarged breasts. In women, too much of this hormone can cause male-patterned hair loss as well.
Estrogen, a female hormone, is present in higher levels in women than men. Estrogen is responsible for female physical growth, regulation of menses, and moderating cholesterol. Plus, it’s critical for bone and organ health and affects the brain.
Many environmental chemicals are xenoestrogens (synthetic estrogens) that wreak havoc on estrogen levels in both sexes. Taking in these synthetics causes too much estrogen in the body, resulting in cancers, decreased sex drive, low energy, poor sleep, skin conditions, reproductive damage, and obesity in females and males alike.
Produced by the pancreas, this hormone regulates blood sugar. A regular intake of too much sugar causes cells to become resistant to insulin, often resulting in diabetes. Insulin imbalance affects the body’s ability to regulate all the other hormones, too.
Watch the brief video below for an explanation of insulin resistance.
4. Thyroid Hormone
Sort of the captain of hormones, those produced by the thyroid control other hormones, growth, and metabolism. Too little (hypothyroidism) can cause weight gain, hair loss, constipation, memory loss, decreased libido, dry hair and skin, fatigue, weakness, and other symptoms. Increased thyroid hormone activity (hyperthyroidism) can cause goiter, excessive perspiration, irregular heartbeat, anxiety, irritability, and hoarseness or swelling in the neck.
Stinging Nettle For Hormonal Imbalance
Some hormonal imbalances can be due to genetic predisposition, however, getting enough sleep, eating the right foods, and exercising regularly will help to restore these body chemicals to normal levels.
Stinging nettle is a herb shown to moderate hormones.
This prickly plant is beneficial for the following conditions:
- Enlarged prostate (2)
- Hair growth
- Lowers blood sugar
- Lowers blood pressure and supports heart health (3)
- Muscle and joint pain
- Osteo- and rheumatoid arthritis
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding support
- Seasonal allergies
- Urinary tract infection (4)
How Stinging Nettle Works
When there are excess hormones—most particularly sex hormones—stinging nettle prevents them from sticking to proteins, inhibiting their distribution through bodily systems.
Phytochemicals in stinging nettle inhibit the formation of dihydrotestosterone from testosterone and its binding to hormone receptors in the organs. DHT is believed to be the primary hormone responsible for common baldness; drinking stinging nettle tea can stop hair loss in its tracks and potentially stimulate new growth.
Stinging nettle is a remedy for allergies and other respiratory conditions, as it is a natural antihistamine. Better yet, since it contains serotonin and acetylcholine, stinging nettle moderates cortisol, which is produced by the adrenal glands.
A potent general detoxifier, stinging nettle is also anti-inflammatory, supporting the immune system.
In fact, an extensive study of stinging nettles nutrition at Virginia State University concluded:
“Results show that processed nettle can supply 90%–100% of vitamin A (including vitamin A as β-carotene) and is a good source of dietary calcium, iron, and protein. We recommend fresh or processed nettle as a high-protein, low-calorie source of essential nutrients, minerals, and vitamins particularly in vegetarian, diabetic, or other specialized diets.” (5)
Hormone-balancing Stinging Nettle Remedy
Note: if you are pregnant, make sure you use nettle leaves and not the root, as using the root during pregnancy can spur uterine contractions. Limit how much you drink; as we’ve said, they affect hormones. Stinging nettle stimulates lactation so it’s great to use if you’re breastfeeding.
- 1 quart of water
- ½ cup dry stinging nettle leaves (the fresher the better!)
- Boil water.
- Place nettle leaves in glass bottle or jar. Pour boiling water over leaves, screw lid tightly, and allow to steep 4-10 hours at room temperature.
- Drink tea throughout the day. It’s delicious hot, cold, or at room temperature. You may add a little honey for sweetness or coconut milk for a richer drink.
- You can make a few days’ worth at once, storing unused tea in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- No Evidence of Aloe Vera Found in the Aloe Vera at Wal-Mart, CVS
Aloe vera is one of the most popular home remedies throughout the Americas. While it used to be a folk …
- 20 Fruits, Veggies And Herbs You Can Grow At Home For An ENDLESS Supply of Organic And Free Food
Although growing your own food may seem like a daunting task now, before grocery stores came about, having a garden …
- This Ginormous Factory Farm Can Grow 10,000 Heads of Lettuce per Day
Is it coincidence that the name of an enormous factory lettuce farm in Japan is located in the Miyagi Prefecture? …
- Advice from the Expert: How to Live Longer and Feel Better
Linus Pauling stands apart as the expert on life prolonging techniques. The only two-time Nobel Laureate – once in Chemistry …
- Put Cabbage Leaves Onto Your Chest And Legs Before Sleeping If You Experience Frequent Headaches
Sometimes the weirdest tricks have the best results. From honey wraps to onion socks, there are many time-tested strange remedies that …
- 6 Surprising Things Fed to US Cows!
For the most part, cattle in America are seen not as animals or living, breathing entities, but as commodities—products to …
- 4 Real Risk Factors For Heart Disease You Shouldn’t Ignore
The world is full of information. It’s also full of misinformation. Sometimes it’s hard to know which is which, especially …
- 6 Relaxation Techniques To Help You Sleep Better at Night
It can happen to anyone, no matter how tired you may be: insomnia. It can be caused by any of …
- 4 Little-Known Reasons Why Your Health is Deteriorating
(originally written by Derek Henry) It seems we have many things to blame for our deteriorating health. We have our less …
- How The Pharmaceutical Industry Is Partly Responsible For Creating “Superbugs”
While antibiotic drugs like penicillin have saved countless lives and eliminated most public health threats like syphilis, there is a …
- Are Your Sugary Treats Leading You Down the Road to Heart Disease
Many people who are not concerned with maintaining their weight or shedding a few excess pounds, may find that they …
- How To Reset Your Circulation And Metabolism For The Next Day With This 10-Second Reflexology Trick
Feet aren’t pretty, but they sure are useful. Think about it, all day they carry you around, holding up your …
- A Japanese Device Claims to Fix Ingrown Toenails at Home in Just 30 Minutes
Ingrown toenails are annoying, and we’re almost all experienced them. They seem to come out of nowhere, and can linger …
- These Illustrations Show What It’s Like To Suffer From Anxiety And Depression
Depression and anxiety are extremely common mental illnesses, but they’re very poorly understood by society in general. Because of social …
- Castor Oil Is Great For Thickening And Regrowing Hair, Eyelashes And Eyebrows
One of the most prominent and popular beauty trends as of late has been full eyelashes and eyebrows. Many women rely …