There’s nothing like a nice cup of stew on a cold evening, especially when it’s full of nutritious veggies.
Bursting with spicy, flavorful, and healthful spices, a yummy stew can be enjoyed for any meal. Eat it with rice or bread at lunch or for dinner and enjoy the leftovers for breakfast by placing it in a cast iron pan with a few cracked eggs and bake for 10 minutes or so at 425°F.
For extra protein, add a bit of chicken, tofu, or beans into the mix.
Paleo Cauliflower Stew Recipe
Despite being deliciously creamy and satisfying, this recipe is fully vegan. Its high fiber and fat content will keep you full and energized throughout the day too, so grab a cutting board and get chopping!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 medium head cauliflower, stemmed and cut into bite-size florets
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded, chopped
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 can full-fat, unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Wash, chop, and prepare all the ingredients.
- In a large saucepan, heat the coconut oil for 30 seconds on medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and stir until they start to jump.
- Next, add the onions and cook until they become translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook until they soften.
- Incorporate all the other ingredients, cover the pan and simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes or so to prevent burning.
- Taste, adjust seasoning, and serve.
Cumin is a powerful diuretic and digestive tonic that treats diarrhea, colic, bowel spasms, and gas (1) The little seed also fights inflammation and relieves muscle soreness (2). It’s even been reported to have antioxidant, anticancer, antibacterial, and larvicidal effects as well as the ability to lower blood sugar, reduce seizures, strengthen bones, and treat eye problems.
Cauliflower contains indole-3-carbinol or I3C, an anti-inflammatory nutrient which stimulates cellular detoxification (3). It also prevents the development of cancer. Plus, the veggie contains sulforaphane, a compound that improves blood pressure and kidney function as well as assures normal cellular function and proper gene expression (4).
Coconut is one of the most potent anti-inflammatory foods, being often recommended to patients suffering from Alzheimer’s, IBS, and inflammatory disorders. Both coconut oil and coconut milk contain analgesic and antipyretic compounds as well as medium-chain fatty acids that can reverse cognitive decline (5).
Turmeric works so well against inflammation that it can be used to treat arthritis just as effectively as ibuprofen. It can even be used to treat inflammatory skin conditions like eczema and stomach ulcers (6). If you do suffer from an inflammatory condition, get your daily dose of the powerful spice by making your own turmeric supplements or preparing a cup of golden milk.
- Top 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods You Can Eat Every Day
The links between chronic inflammation and increased risk of diseases like cancer are well documented – as one study puts …
- How To Make Chocolate Cake With Avocado Instead Of Eggs And Butter
If you’re a real bonafide health nut, then chances are that you always have a few avocados in your kitchen. …
- 30 Simple and Effective Whole Food Substitutes to Improve Your Total Wellness Right Away
If you haven’t caught up by now, the Standard American Diet – appropriately nicknamed SAD – is horrible. It’s literally …
- Pineapple And Turmeric Drink Reverses Cancer-Causing Inflammation And Even Beats The Common Cold!
Pineapple, turmeric, ginger and lemon all have two things in common. They’re all ingredients that have been shown to have …
- This Drink Will Burn Stomach Fat 4X Faster, Prevent Cancer, Improve Energy And Remove Toxins
Most tea can be found either in tea bag or loose leaf form. Occasionally, it can also be fermented and …
- Do Not Use Apple Cider Vinegar If You’re On Any Of These Medications
Nothing exists in a vacuum. Our bodies are complex organisms that are constantly moving, with chemicals acting and interacting. Sometimes …
- Top 10 Plant-Based Protein Foods You Should Be Eating
Proteins (comprised of a variety of twenty amino acids) provide cell structure and serve as neurotransmitters between cells. There’s protein …
- How Taking Turmeric Helps Your Body Block Fat and Your Liver Remove Toxins as Fast as Possible
Turmeric, “the golden spice”, is a staple in India and surrounding regions. As of late, it’s becoming increasingly popular in …
- The First U.S. School District to Begin Serving Only Organic, GMO-Free Meals
Hail to the trailblazers! No one would argue the importance of nutrition, especially for children. As their bodies develop, they …
- Soak Chia Seeds To Supercharge Your Metabolism, Burn Fat And Fight Inflammation
You may have heard about chia pets, the adorable children’s toy made from sprouted seeds. These beloved toys are actually …
- 92 Alkaline Foods That Fight Cancer, Inflammation, Diabetes and Heart Disease
Human life, just like all life on earth, depends on appropriate pH levels in and around living organisms and cells. …
- 11 Good Reasons Why Ignoring Polyphenols In Your Diet Is a Big Mistake!
What is something that dark chocolate, green tea, red wine, blueberries, flaxseed, and coffee all have in common? Polyphenols! Polyphenols …
- Top 13 Inflammatory Foods You Should Avoid
As we get older, our bodies don’t always keep up. Muscles aren’t as strong as they used to be, skin …
- How Much Water Do We Need To Drink, According To Our Weight?
If you’ve never taken the time to appreciate all the health benefits of water, now may just be the right …
- How To Make Alkaline Water To Fight Fatigue, Digestive Issues And Cancer
Is alkaline water good for you? A healthy body should always be slightly alkaline. The majority of people today, however, tend to …