Baked goods sure (such as sweet potato muffins) are sweet, but have you ever taken a look at all the ingredients that go into making your favorite treats?
Cookies and cakes may be full of inflammatory foods like sugar, wheat, and vegetable oil, even “healthier” options like muffins.
But they don’t have to be.
Here are a few ingredients to add to your next batch of muffins to turn them into inflammation-fighting snacks.
Sweet Potato has the starchy goodness of a regular potato, but with a few added bonuses: It’s packed with nutrients like beta-carotene, an antioxidant that fights oxidative stress, cancer, and inflammation (1).
Coconut Milk contains healthy medium-chain fatty acids that improve metabolism and support weight loss. Coconut milk is full of important nutrients like vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6 and minerals including iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous (2,3,4)
On the other hand, coconut flour supplies high-quality carbs and gut-healthy fiber. Natural sweet (but not overwhelmingly so) coconut flour is perfectly suitable for diabetics to use (5,6). It even helps lower cholesterol.
Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Muffins
- 1 small organic sweet potato, roasted (1 cup, packed)
- 3 organic free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup of organic canned coconut milk
- 2 tbsp of organic olive oil
- ½ cup of pure organic maple syrup
- 1 cup of organic brown rice flour
- ¼ cup of organic coconut flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tbsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp of ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp of ground nutmeg
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use a wooden skewer to make 10-20 holes in your sweet potato and cook it on a baking tray for an hour to soften it.
- Remove the potato and let it cool.
- Oil your muffin tray with coconut oil.
- Cut the potato in half and scoop out the good stuff into a large bowl, discarding the skin (or eating it as a snack while your muffin cook).
- Add the olive oil, almond milk and syrup to the bowl and combine until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the sweet potato and mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter evenly throughout the muffin tray until each section is 2/3 full.
- Place the tray on the middle rack of the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes.
- Let it cool and enjoy a delicious batch of sweet potato muffins! Feel free to freeze any extras for future use.
- Enjoy The Benefits of Turmeric With This Golden Milk Tea Recipe (You’re Going To Love It!)
The healthful properties of turmeric and ginger are just now beginning to emerge in the West. Asian cultures have used …
- Infuse Your Honey With Ginger In 20 Minutes For A Quick Immune System Boost
With winter just around the corner, most people are dreading the advent of cold season. Aside from staying warm and …
- 27 Must-Try Avocado Recipes for You and Your Family
Avocados are a health nut’s favorite fruit, and rightly so. Packed with nutrients, delicious fats, filling fiber, and creamy goodness, …
- Ginger Lemon Tea Recipe To Detox Your Body And Get Rid of Bloating
In today’s world, we face increasing amounts of chemicals than ever before. It’s present in our food, household products and even in the air (1). In addition …
- Six Springy Asparagus Recipes
Asparagus season is drawing to its end in most parts of the country, but that doesn’t mean it’s too late …
- 3-Ingredient Recipe Makes For a Powerful Drink That Promises To Detoxify And Energize The Body!
This easy-to-make beverage is perfect for having over breakfast, and contains ingredients that will aid in digestion, boost your immune …
- 3-ingredient Gluten-Free Bread To Effortlessly Keep You In Fat-Burning Mode All Day Long
One of the hardest things for celiacs and gluten-intolerant people to give up is bread. In fact, gluten is a …
- Anti-inflammatory Honey Turmeric Tonic Recipe And 17 Other Master Tonics
If you often find yourself tired or sick, it may be time to start integrating a master tonic or two …
- Drink This Ancient Detox Tea To Cleanse The Liver, Boost Memory and Reduce Muscle Pain
There’s no shortage of recipes for detoxifying teas and other beverages, but unlike many, this recipe has withstood the test …
- 10 Vegan Recipes That Cheese Addicts Will Love
1. Creamy Vegan Mac and Cheese This one is a classic. Recipe here. 2. Roasted Sweet Potato and Bean Quesadillas …
- 12 Recipes for Gluten-Free Cookies You Won’t Be Able to Resist
Gluten is becoming an ever-increasing concern in the Western diet. The volume of people with wheat allergies or sensitivities across …
- How to Make Fruit Roll-Ups at Home With REAL Fruit and Gelatin For Your Hair, Skin and Joints
Despite being advertised as containing “real fruit”, commercial fruit roll-ups contain in fact more hydrogenated oil and high-fructose corn syrup …
- This Lifesaving Ancient Cold and Flu Remedy is so Effective Even Hippocrates Would Recommend It!
Trying to navigate your way through the flu season can be quite the challenge. Especially, if you’re taking public transit. And …
- 4 Aloe Vera-Based Drinks To Boost Your Immune System
Aloe vera has a great reputation for its many topical uses, and is also a popular houseplant due to its …
- 12 Matcha Loaded Desserts That Your Body Will Thank You For Eating
Did you know? You can mix Matcha green tea into your desserts for a healthy treat! Matcha contains over six …