Baked goods sure (such as sweet potato muffins) are sweet, but have you ever taken a look at all the ingredients that go into making your favorite treats?
Cookies and cakes may be full of inflammatory foods like sugar, wheat, and vegetable oil, even “healthier” options like muffins.
But they don’t have to be.
Here are a few ingredients to add to your next batch of muffins to turn them into inflammation-fighting snacks.
Sweet Potato has the starchy goodness of a regular potato, but with a few added bonuses: It’s packed with nutrients like beta-carotene, an antioxidant that fights oxidative stress, cancer, and inflammation (1).
Coconut Milk contains healthy medium-chain fatty acids that improve metabolism and support weight loss. Coconut milk is full of important nutrients like vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6 and minerals including iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous (2,3,4)
On the other hand, coconut flour supplies high-quality carbs and gut-healthy fiber. Natural sweet (but not overwhelmingly so) coconut flour is perfectly suitable for diabetics to use (5,6). It even helps lower cholesterol.
Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Muffins
- 1 small organic sweet potato, roasted (1 cup, packed)
- 3 organic free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup of organic canned coconut milk
- 2 tbsp of organic olive oil
- ½ cup of pure organic maple syrup
- 1 cup of organic brown rice flour
- ¼ cup of organic coconut flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tbsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp of ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp of ground nutmeg
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use a wooden skewer to make 10-20 holes in your sweet potato and cook it on a baking tray for an hour to soften it.
- Remove the potato and let it cool.
- Oil your muffin tray with coconut oil.
- Cut the potato in half and scoop out the good stuff into a large bowl, discarding the skin (or eating it as a snack while your muffin cook).
- Add the olive oil, almond milk and syrup to the bowl and combine until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the sweet potato and mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter evenly throughout the muffin tray until each section is 2/3 full.
- Place the tray on the middle rack of the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes.
- Let it cool and enjoy a delicious batch of sweet potato muffins! Feel free to freeze any extras for future use.
- It Was Hard To Snack Healthy Until I Tried These 16 Delicious Metabolism-Boosting Ideas
The foods you eat between meals are just as important. Snack on the wrong foods and your health will suffer. …
- How To Make Your Own Super-Healthy Detox Tea
The ingredients in this detox tea have been reported to possess a whole list of powerful health benefits, including antioxidant, …
- Simple Homemade Syrup Cures Cough And Removes Phlegm From The Lungs
You’ve probably heard a lot about how carrots are good for your eyes, but you’ve probably never heard that they …
- Curb Sugar Cravings With This Homemade Cinnamon Coconut Kefir Water
Kefir (pronounced kee-fer), a cultured milk product from the Caucasus Mountains in Eastern Europe, has seen a rise in popularity …
- Anti-inflammatory Honey Turmeric Tonic Recipe And 17 Other Master Tonics
If you often find yourself tired or sick, it may be time to start integrating a master tonic or two …
- Pack In Protein With These Chickpea Recipes
Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are a super versatile, low fat, and high fiber protein source rich in important minerals like phosphorus …
- 5 Interesting Uses of Green Tea
Green tea is well known for its antioxidant properties that aid in a myriad of health benefits, including the classic …
- No-Flour Banana Pancakes Are Easy To Make And Rich In Potassium
Who doesn’t love pancakes? They’re sweet, fluffy and simply delicious! They can be combined with all sorts of fruits and …
- The Only 2 Reasons You’ll Ever Need to Add Cinnamon Oil to Everything You Eat
Cinnamon is a common spice that has been used medicinally for hundreds of years, and with good reason – studies …
- Cleanse Your Body of Toxins By Drinking This Cucumber Water Recipe
Staying hydrated isn’t just important in the summer; we need to be sure we’re getting enough fluids year-round. Many bodily …
- How to Make Chai Tea. (Reduce Inflammation, Strengthen Immunity, and Improve Digestion)
Suffering from indigestion or coming down with a cold? No problem! This unique chai tea recipe will help strengthen your …
- Make 7 Days Worth of Breakfast In Just One Day With This Easy Oatmeal Hack
Steal-cut oats usually take about 40 minutes to cook. Nobody wants to spend that kind of time first thing in the …
- Easy And Delicious Apple Pancake Recipe
Available almost anywhere and relatively inexpensive, apples are an ideal fruit to bake with. Many pastry recipes feature apples – …
- Lemon With Garlic Mixture: Perfect For Clearing Heart Blockages
High levels of LDL cholesterol (the bad type) and a diet high in inflammatory foods is a recipe for disaster. If you …
- Dairy-free, Inflammation-BUSTING Chocolate Mousse Recipe With Avocado, Coconut Milk and Cacao
It can be hard to find desserts that satisfy your cravings without sacrificing your health. Most desserts contain high levels …