Sleep disorders are extremely prevalent all over the world. The American Academy of Sleep Medicine published an article specifically about insomnia in March of 2014(1).
The organization estimated that about 30% of young adults suffer from transitory episodes of insomnia. Approximately 10% of them experiences habitual insomnia no less than 3 days each week!
Consequences of Sleep Loss
The physiological changes caused by sleep loss can result in serious complication and disease. Some of these include a propensity in obesity, diabetes, and cardiac conditions. Psychological risks involve immunodeficiency, depression, and severe lethargy.
Sleep loss causes a reduction in:
- Glucose Tolerance
- Appetite Suppression Hormones
- Cognitive Functions
- Behavioral Alertness
- Concentration & Focus
It causes an increase in:
- Appetite Stimulation Hormones
- Risks for Obesity
- Negative Coronary Events
- Cognitive Confusion
- Misjudgments Resulting in Injury
- Inflammatory Markers
- Cortisol/Stress Hormone
- Sympathetic Activation
Delicious Help from Nature
A sleep study conducted by the Department of Psychiatry at the University of California-San Diego showed that potassium supplementation could be a potential treatment for sleep disorders (2). It is said to increase the efficiency of sleep in the human body.
The Department Of Pharmacology at M.S Ramaiah Medical College published another trial in which they observed the physiological effects of cinnamon on various systems (3).
It was found that cinnamon counteracts many of the negative aspects associated with sleep deprivation.
Cinnamon extract has been proven to reduce insulin resistance as well as increase glucose use by the brain. This is good news for diabetes and Alzheimer’s disease respectively.
It also has microbial, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties among many other medicinal benefits.
The components of cinnamon have been documented as being both lipid lowering and cardio protective.
Chamomile has been used for its multi-medicinal values since ancient times. It is perhaps one the oldest herbs to have been documented for its benefits (4).
There have been numerous studies to test these health claims. Subjects who simply inhaled its pleasant smell in studies experienced noticeable decrease in stress levels.
It was found to deliver benzodiazepine mimicking actions for patients who ingested an extract of chamomile.
How To Make Your Own ‘Sweet Dreams’ Tonic
- 3 cups of filtered or spring water
- 1 organic banana peeled and sliced (rich in potassium)
- 2 tablespoons of dried, organic chamomile flowers
- 1/8 teaspoon of organic, powdered cinnamon
- In a saucepan bring the water to a boil and add the banana.
- Let it sit for 3 minutes and remove from heat.
- Add the organic chamomile flowers and allow to steep for at least 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture in a tea cup.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon.
The best results are delivered by drinking this tonic approximately one hour before retiring to bed.
Adding Cherry To The Recipe
A trial conducted by the School of Life Sciences at the Northumbria University demonstrated the effectiveness of tart cherry juice to promote sleep.
Cherries contain high concentrations of melatonin (5). This phytochemical is a critical molecule of the sleep-wake cycle regulation within the human body. Significant elevations of melatonin in subjects was observed after they drank tart cherry juice every day for 1 week.
The above recipe may be altered by reducing the water at the beginning of the preparation to 2 cups. Once the tonic has been prepared add 1 cup of organic tart cherry juice. The yield results will be the same; however, the benefits are significantly increased.
- How To Choose Safer Cookware For Your Kitchen
Is your cookware killing you? It may seem like a bit of a hyperbolic statement, but remember – the cookware …
- These 18 Brands Of Lipstick Are Full Of Cancer-Causing Heavy Metals
Could your lipstick be full of hidden toxins? Women of all ages use lipsticks and gloss to brighten or finish …
- Cannabis Spray Treatment Helps 9-Year-Old-Boy With Severe Autism Say His First Words Ever…This Is Amazing!
Autism is a major challenge for any family to endure. While many pharmaceutical and therapeutic treatments are available to help …
- The 4 Worst Weight Loss Advice You Should Ignore
Weight loss is a tricky subject to discuss. There are plenty of tips and tricks out there that are supposedly …
- Here’s What You Didn’t Know You Could Do With Baking Soda (From Fighting Heartburn To Cancer)
Baking soda is one of those things that can do pretty much anything. Whether you use it for cleaning, personal hygiene …
- 2-Ingredient Cleaning Solution For a Shiny Toilet – No Scrubbing Needed
It’s no secret that your toilet isn’t the cleanest place in your home. In the average household, toilets typically contain …
- This Simple DIY Foot Massage Will Do Wonders For Your Sleep Tonight!
The rise of technology may make life easier, but it’s also interfering with some of your important instincts and biological …
- How to Make Honey Ginger Cough Drops
This week I found myself with a hellishly sore throat and no cough drops in the house. Normally I *am* one …
- How Your Blood Type Affects Your Health From Heart Disease To Fertility
Most people know what their blood type is—or at least you should. Your blood group is determined by genes that …
- Popular Prescription Medications May Contribute to Falls, Injuries in Elderly Patients
Too often we hear of elderly people falling and breaking a hip or becoming very bruised, limiting mobility and having …
- 6 Types of Prescription Drugs That Are Robbing Your Body of Important Nutrients
According to the Mayo Clinic, seven out of ten Americans take prescription drugs. These drugs could be anything from diabetes …
- Researchers Discover That 85% of Tampons Are Contaminated With Cancer-Causing Herbicide
Your feminine hygiene products may be poisoning you (1). According to a study done by the University of La Plata, …
- Put Peppermint In Your Home And Say Goodbye To Spiders, Mice, And Other Unwanted Pests
If you live in the north, winter may actually be a welcomed break from the pesky rodents and insects that …
- Take THIS Vitamin and You Will Be Mosquito Free All Summer Long!
The bane of mammals’ existence, mosquitoes are a hazardous annoyance: prolific, omnipresent, making us itch, and carrying disease.(1) They seem …
- Could Being Bilingual Delay the Onset of Dementia
Many people are aware of the devastating effects that dementia can have in later life. There are many alternative therapies …