Sleep disorders are extremely prevalent all over the world. The American Academy of Sleep Medicine published an article specifically about insomnia in March of 2014(1).
The organization estimated that about 30% of young adults suffer from transitory episodes of insomnia. Approximately 10% of them experiences habitual insomnia no less than 3 days each week!
Consequences of Sleep Loss
The physiological changes caused by sleep loss can result in serious complication and disease. Some of these include a propensity in obesity, diabetes, and cardiac conditions. Psychological risks involve immunodeficiency, depression, and severe lethargy.
Sleep loss causes a reduction in:
- Glucose Tolerance
- Appetite Suppression Hormones
- Cognitive Functions
- Behavioral Alertness
- Concentration & Focus
It causes an increase in:
- Appetite Stimulation Hormones
- Risks for Obesity
- Negative Coronary Events
- Cognitive Confusion
- Misjudgments Resulting in Injury
- Inflammatory Markers
- Cortisol/Stress Hormone
- Sympathetic Activation
Delicious Help from Nature
A sleep study conducted by the Department of Psychiatry at the University of California-San Diego showed that potassium supplementation could be a potential treatment for sleep disorders (2). It is said to increase the efficiency of sleep in the human body.
The Department Of Pharmacology at M.S Ramaiah Medical College published another trial in which they observed the physiological effects of cinnamon on various systems (3).
It was found that cinnamon counteracts many of the negative aspects associated with sleep deprivation.
Cinnamon extract has been proven to reduce insulin resistance as well as increase glucose use by the brain. This is good news for diabetes and Alzheimer’s disease respectively.
It also has microbial, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties among many other medicinal benefits.
The components of cinnamon have been documented as being both lipid lowering and cardio protective.
Chamomile has been used for its multi-medicinal values since ancient times. It is perhaps one the oldest herbs to have been documented for its benefits (4).
There have been numerous studies to test these health claims. Subjects who simply inhaled its pleasant smell in studies experienced noticeable decrease in stress levels.
It was found to deliver benzodiazepine mimicking actions for patients who ingested an extract of chamomile.
How To Make Your Own ‘Sweet Dreams’ Tonic
- 3 cups of filtered or spring water
- 1 organic banana peeled and sliced (rich in potassium)
- 2 tablespoons of dried, organic chamomile flowers
- 1/8 teaspoon of organic, powdered cinnamon
- In a saucepan bring the water to a boil and add the banana.
- Let it sit for 3 minutes and remove from heat.
- Add the organic chamomile flowers and allow to steep for at least 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture in a tea cup.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon.
The best results are delivered by drinking this tonic approximately one hour before retiring to bed.
Adding Cherry To The Recipe
A trial conducted by the School of Life Sciences at the Northumbria University demonstrated the effectiveness of tart cherry juice to promote sleep.
Cherries contain high concentrations of melatonin (5). This phytochemical is a critical molecule of the sleep-wake cycle regulation within the human body. Significant elevations of melatonin in subjects was observed after they drank tart cherry juice every day for 1 week.
The above recipe may be altered by reducing the water at the beginning of the preparation to 2 cups. Once the tonic has been prepared add 1 cup of organic tart cherry juice. The yield results will be the same; however, the benefits are significantly increased.
- 9 Pesticide-filled Teas You Should Never Buy (and the Kind You Should!)
Tea is one of the most popular drinks enjoyed around the world. Americans drink up to 80 billion cups of …
- Love Hurts: The Neuroscience Behind Heartache
It’s that time of year again. Whether you’d like to admit it or not, Valentine’s Day brings with it emotions, …
- This Awesome Biodegradable Urn Will Turn You Into a Tree After You Die
The cycle of life is no better encapsulated than in a new product that combines the cremated ashes of a …
- Your Body Is Acidic. Here’s What You NEED To Do (The Real Truth Behind Cancer…)
Ever heard of Dr. Otto H. Warburg? Unless you or your family member has suffered from cancer and tried to …
- Here’s Why Enameled Cast Iron Cookware Is The Best
What you cook your food in is as important as the food itself. Non-stick and aluminum cookware are known to …
- 7 Surprising Causes That Can Send Your Blood Sugar Levels on a Rollercoaster Ride of Highs and Lows
For those with diabetes, keeping their blood sugar levels in check can be a hassle. There are many variables that …
- 4 Surprising Ways Reading Is Good For You
Who doesn’t love to snuggle up with coffee or hot cocoa with a good book? If you are one of …
- The Simple Eye Test To Tell If Your Adrenals Are Fatigued And What To Do IMMEDIATELY If They Are!
We are all faced with an incredible amount of pressure in our day to day life. Pressure to be the …
- 5 Foods To Protect Your Skin From UV Radiation
The food you eat can make a dramatic impact on how your skin looks. Certain foods, in particular, can promote …
- 20 Little-Known Uses for Dandelions From Baking and Pain RELIEF to Quickly Removing Warts
If you’ve ever had a garden or a backyard, then you know how annoying it is to get rid of …
- A Survey Was Given to 114 U.S. Doctors About Nutrition. Their Answers Should Be a Huge Wake Up Call for U.S. Healthcare.
Nutrition is pretty basic. You are what you eat and all that. We put our faith in our physicians to …
- This 2-Ingredient Mix Is All You Need To Get Rid Of Nail Fungus For Good!
There’s a lot of things that can affect your feet, whether it be athlete’s foot, ingrown toenails or foot pain. …
- 10 Unusual Ways to Live Longer
Want to live longer? Check out these ten unusual ways to extend your longevity. 1. Wait Longer to Retire While …
- This Man Cut His Thumb And Was Bleeding Excessively Until He Used THIS Spice…Amazing!
Believe it or not, cayenne pepper can save your life. You may have heard about how science is attempting to …
- Historical Facts Behind Cancer Fighting Drugs Will Shock You
Some cancer drugs have been around since the 1940’s. Even back then these drugs were administered to patients with cancer, …