There’s nothing like a stubborn stain to ruin your new shirt.
Sure, you can use a chemical cleaner like bleach and spray and wash, but these chemicals linger on your clothes and can cause rashes as they come into contact with your skin (1).
More alarmingly, stain-fighting laundry detergents are known to cause mouth, skin, and eye irritation in children and adults. Their strong fragrance –which is a key selling point for most brands- can even cause respiratory toxicity.
To avoid these harmful chemicals, make your own laundry detergent and get out the vinegar!
Here are 10 ways to use vinegar in your laundry routine.
1. Clean Grimy Clothes
If your kids have a tendency to play in the mud or if you’re caught in the midst of a messy renovation, add a cup of vinegar to a sink full of hot water and let your dirty clothes soak overnight. Wash the clothes in the morning and all the gunk will be gone!
2. Wash Your Delicates
To protect delicates like underwear and swimwear, add 6 tablespoons of vinegar into a bucket of warm water with your delicates. Soak for 30 minutes and hand wash as usual.
3. Fight Strong Smells
Clean sweaty gym clothes by adding half a cup of vinegar into your washing machine along with your detergent. Add a few drops of citrus essential oils for a nice non-toxic smell.
4. Banish Sweat Smells
5. Soften Fabrics
Pour 1/4-1/2 cup of vinegar in your washing machine’s fabric softener compartment to keep your linens soft.
6. Protect Your Colors
Pour ½ cup of vinegar over your clothes after placing them in your washing machine to get a deep clean while protecting your bright colors and darks.
7. Get Rid of Detergent Residue
Using vinegar regularly to wash your clothes will prevent soap residue and powder detergent build-up.
8. Fight the Fuss
To pull fuzz and animal hair from your clothes and linens, add a few spoonfuls of vinegar into your washing machine.
9. Clean Your Washing Machine
Use vinegar to clean and descale your washing machine. Pour ¼ cup of vinegar in your washing machine and run a shirt cycle using hot water. Let it run for a few minutes and turn off your machine. Let the water sit for an hour and run the longest cycle. Let your machine dry out before using again.
10. Eliminate Static
Ditch the dryer sheets and pour a bit of vinegar in your wash cycle to fight wintertime static. You can also use wool dryer balls in the dry cycle to boost this effect.
- Homemade Ginger Oil To Replace Pain Pills, Cough Syrup, Antibiotics And More!
It’s almost impossible to list all the benefits and uses of ginger. This highly medicinal rhizome is a potent anti-inflammatory, …
- 7 Little-Known Drinks That Can Help You Sleep Better Tonight
Struggling to get enough good quality sleep at night? Then perhaps you need to change what you drink before bed. …
- When The Body Seeks Help: 10 Important Signals That You Can’t Ignore
The ultimate goal of the human body is to survive and thrive. So when something isn’t quite in sync, your …
- How To Remove Blackheads Naturally Using Only 2 Ingredients
Although these two conditions have multiple factors and often require a visit to the dermatologist to fully cure, there are …
- Doctor Sells His Practice in New Jersey, Buys Organic Farm & Begins Treating Patients Himself
Let food be thy medicine has never seemed so appropriate. Following the natural food trend, New Jersey doctor Robert Weiss …
- Federal Judge Gives City Of Spokane, WA, The Go Ahead To Sue Monsanto
Monsanto is easily one of the world’s richest companies. As of August 31, 2016, their last fiscal quarter, the company …
- Wearing a Pair of Eyeglasses Like These Could Help You Sleep Better At Night And Here’s Why
According to the CDC, insufficient sleep is a national epidemic, “linked to motor vehicle crashes, industrial disasters, and medical and …
- How to Limit Noise Induced Hearing Loss
With over 360 million people suffering from disabling hearing loss throughout the world, and 16% of that figure being attributed …
- Make This Powerful Anti-Inflammatory Drink To Detox Your Body
The human body is bombarded with toxins every single day. It is in the air at work and the yard …
- How Sugar Messes Up Your Liver and Gives You Diabetes
By now, most of us know that there’s some relationship between eating sugar and type II diabetes. But do you …
- This Tropical Purple Fruit Has Been Shown to Fight Colon, Breast, Pancreatic and Skin Cancer
Just when you thought you knew every health-promoting fruit out there, another odd-looking purple fruit is making headlines for its …
- How To Unclog a Smelly Drain In Minutes WITHOUT Using Toxic Drain Cleaner!
There’s nothing worse than waking up in the morning, stepping into the shower to wash up and being woken up …
- “It Just Doesn’t Seem Right”: Michigan Farmer Forced To Dump 40,000 Pounds Of Cherries To Make Way For Import Crops
What do you know about Michigan cherries? Traverse City, Michigan lies on the upper east shore of Lake Michigan. Dubbed …
- 10 Surprising Ways Eating Dark Chocolate is Good for The Body
Many people may not know it, but there are actually numerous health benefits to eating chocolate. The real, unadulterated form of …
- DON’T Do This at The Grocery Store (Automatically Adds More Calories)
Have you ever shopped for food hungry? Many people think that shopping while hungry influences your food purchasing decisions. It’s …