Many people think of their washing machine as a self-cleaning appliance. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. You may notice after a few months of use that the rubber rings in you washing machine appear to have stains and that your clothes smell a little funky. This is a sign that your appliance may be contaminated with mold.
This is the same humidity-loving mold that can plague your bathroom and kitchen over time.
Why You Should Clean Your Washing Machine
Molds are fungi that can cause inflammation in your respiratory tract.
Allergic reactions are the most common health effects of mold.
Common symptoms include (1) :
- Watery eyes
- Runny nose
- Itchy eyes
- Red eyes
Mold exposure has also been linked to the onset of asthma in children. Spores also have the ability to penetrate into the lungs and cause infection (2).
Front loading washing machine are more prone to mold. In fact, there have been many complaints of chronic mold contamination in popular front-loaders built until the late 2000s by Whirlpool, Kenmore, Bosch and LG (3).
How To Clean Your Washing Machine
There have been a few websites suggesting the use of potassium hydrogen oxalate (salt of lemon) and bleach as a non-toxic way to clean your washing machine.
However, the substance is very toxic. Inhalation of the dust causes irritation of nose and throat. Ingestion causes burning pain in throat, esophagus, and stomach. It can also cause eye and skin irritation (4).
Anyone exposed to it should get fresh air immediately and seek medical treatment in the case of contact with the eyes or ingestion.
Bleach is highly irritating and corrosive to the skin, lungs, and eyes (6). Its fumes alone can cause poisoning and accidental swallowing may result in death (7).
Instead, use vinegar, a mild acid which can kill 82% of mold species (5) and baking soda, a natural substance that fight even more mold species.
- White vinegar
- Baking soda
- Tea tree essential oil (optional)
- A sponge
Vinegar is acidic, so it may burn slightly if it comes in contact with sensitive skin. It also goes without saying that you should avoid breathing in baking soda.
- Sprinkle no more than 1 tablespoon of baking soda on the mold.
- Dilute vinegar with water in a 2-1 or 3-1 ratio and pour into a spray bottle.
- If the vinegar smell bothers you, add a few drops of essential oil, like tea tree oil, lavender or citrus fruit (orange smells wonderful!).
- Spray directly on affected area and leave on for a few hours.
- Then, scrub the mold with a brush and wipe clean.
- Leave your washing machine door open to let it dry completely.
- Run a quick rinse cycle before use to get rid of the vinegar smell.
Repeat this step every month to avoid mold exposure in your home. You might also want to keep a dehumidifier in your laundry room to avoid future contamination.
- Key Witness in Medical Malpractice Cases Blocked By CDC From Testifying
In recent years, controversy has arisen over children’s vaccinations against what used to be common diseases. Vaccination against measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) …
- 5 Surprising Health Benefits of Daydreaming
We spend an approximate 1/3 to 1/2 of our lives in daydreams, that’s why we’re awesome! Teachers, bosses, parents and …
- Cut 1 Lemon in 4 Parts And Put Some Salt On It…This Trick Will Change Your Life!
Ah, the lovely little lemon. Full of nutrition, this bright yellow citrus kills viruses and bacteria. Its fragrance promotes calm …
- 4 Little-Known Reasons Why Your Health is Deteriorating
(originally written by Derek Henry) It seems we have many things to blame for our deteriorating health. We have our less …
- 4 Natural Ways To Get Rid of That Awful Shoe Smell!
Some shoes trap odour more than others, retaining sweat in which bacteria grows and produces that distinctive unpleasant “old shoe” …
- Social Interaction Found To Be As Essential As Food and Water
It may be hard to believe but social networking may serve a basic human need. A growing body of research …
- 12 Everyday Ayurvedic Tips To Live A Long And Healthy Life
Ayurvedic medicine isn’t just something you hear about during your yoga class -it’s a tried and true holistic practice. While …
- Doctors in UK Propose Ban on Cigarettes for People Born After 2000
In a bold and courageous move, the British Medical Association (BMA) passed a motion to pressure enactment of a law …
- 5 Proven Tips for Sleeping Better at Night
Most people don’t get enough sleep, which can lead to countless health issues ranging from difficulty concentrating and headaches to …
- Watch What Happens To Gray Hair When You Start Drinking Wheatgrass Everyday
Gray hair can make you look a lot older than you really are. Although there’s nothing wrong with having a …
- 12 Minutes A Day Is All You Need To Save Yourself From Loneliness
Every one feels a little lonely once in a while (loneliness). Some people even seek out time alone (solitude). But …
- 6 Heart-Healthy Foods That Will Help Keep Your Arteries Clean
There are many risk factors at play when it comes to the development of cardiovascular disease – and our understanding …
- 6 Ways To Use Banana Peels To Fight Acne Naturally
People will go to great lengths to get good skin, often spending hundreds of dollars on skin products and dermatology …
- The Scoop on Your Poop
It’s a topic that most of us are afraid to ask questions about – what does your poop mean about …
- Beating Brain Tumors With a Scorpion Sting Paint
Brain surgery is perhaps the most delicate of intrusive surgical procedures. The brain, for the most part, all looks alike–unlike …