Many people think of their washing machine as a self-cleaning appliance. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. You may notice after a few months of use that the rubber rings in you washing machine appear to have stains and that your clothes smell a little funky. This is a sign that your appliance may be contaminated with mold.
This is the same humidity-loving mold that can plague your bathroom and kitchen over time.
Why You Should Clean Your Washing Machine
Molds are fungi that can cause inflammation in your respiratory tract.
Allergic reactions are the most common health effects of mold.
Common symptoms include (1) :
- Watery eyes
- Runny nose
- Itchy eyes
- Red eyes
Mold exposure has also been linked to the onset of asthma in children. Spores also have the ability to penetrate into the lungs and cause infection (2).
Front loading washing machine are more prone to mold. In fact, there have been many complaints of chronic mold contamination in popular front-loaders built until the late 2000s by Whirlpool, Kenmore, Bosch and LG (3).
How To Clean Your Washing Machine
There have been a few websites suggesting the use of potassium hydrogen oxalate (salt of lemon) and bleach as a non-toxic way to clean your washing machine.
However, the substance is very toxic. Inhalation of the dust causes irritation of nose and throat. Ingestion causes burning pain in throat, esophagus, and stomach. It can also cause eye and skin irritation (4).
Anyone exposed to it should get fresh air immediately and seek medical treatment in the case of contact with the eyes or ingestion.
Bleach is highly irritating and corrosive to the skin, lungs, and eyes (6). Its fumes alone can cause poisoning and accidental swallowing may result in death (7).
Instead, use vinegar, a mild acid which can kill 82% of mold species (5) and baking soda, a natural substance that fight even more mold species.
- White vinegar
- Baking soda
- Tea tree essential oil (optional)
- A sponge
Vinegar is acidic, so it may burn slightly if it comes in contact with sensitive skin. It also goes without saying that you should avoid breathing in baking soda.
- Sprinkle no more than 1 tablespoon of baking soda on the mold.
- Dilute vinegar with water in a 2-1 or 3-1 ratio and pour into a spray bottle.
- If the vinegar smell bothers you, add a few drops of essential oil, like tea tree oil, lavender or citrus fruit (orange smells wonderful!).
- Spray directly on affected area and leave on for a few hours.
- Then, scrub the mold with a brush and wipe clean.
- Leave your washing machine door open to let it dry completely.
- Run a quick rinse cycle before use to get rid of the vinegar smell.
Repeat this step every month to avoid mold exposure in your home. You might also want to keep a dehumidifier in your laundry room to avoid future contamination.
- Doctor Pleads Guilty to Ordering Unnecessary Chemotherapy and Billing Medicare
Say it ain’t so, Joe. A Detroit doctor recently pleaded guilty to prescribing unnecessary tests, chemotherapy and other drugs that …
- This Is How Your Body Tries To Warn You That You’re Eating Too Much Salt
Sodium is essential to human health. The mineral helps to regulate fluids, maintain nerve transmissions and stimulate muscle contractions. But …
- 5 Dangers Associated With Drinking Alcohol You Don’t Know About But Should!
Sipping on a cocktail is an easy way to melt away the stresses of your day, but it comes with a hefty …
- 8 Foods To Flush Out Nicotine From Your Body
If you’re trying to quit smoking, eating more fruits and vegetables will make you three times more likely to succeed. via …
- 20 Little-Known Uses for Dandelions From Baking and Pain RELIEF to Quickly Removing Warts
If you’ve ever had a garden or a backyard, then you know how annoying it is to get rid of …
- How To Get Your Newborn Baby To Stop Crying In Just 15 Seconds
Babies cry to communicate their needs with their parents. They might be hungry, tired, not feeling well or may just …
- 4 Most Common Types of Coughs And The Plants That Can Naturally Treat Them
As air quality levels continue to degrade between environmental pollution, chemical pollution and geoengineering–lung disease, infections and illness continue to …
- 10 Exercises That Burn More Fat Than Running
Running is a great cardiovascular exercise to burn fat. Depending on your fitness levels, running can be an excellent way …
- THIS Oil Relieves Pain FASTER Than Both Pain Meds and ALL Other Natural Remedies
What do you do when you experience muscle pain? If you’re like most Americans, you probably open up your bathroom …
- The Germiest Places In Your Kitchen
You probably do a pretty decent job of keeping your kitchen clean – you scrub down the counters, rinse out …
- Frankincense And Ovarian Cancer – What No One Ever Told You About This Essential Oil
For thousands of years, Frankincense has been the staple of Egyptian, Mediterranean, Arabic, Chinese and Indian medicine. It was traditionally …
- World’s Most Popular Multivitamin Is Useless And Contains Toxic Chemicals And Artificial Colors
“That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” While this may be true for …
- How to Naturally Cure an Eye Infection In 24 Hours With Salt Water
Pinkeye isn’t the only common eye infection around: styes and chalazions also take the cake. And if you’ve ever had …
- 2-Ingredient Remedy To Clear Up Cholesterol Buildup From Blood Vessels In Just 40 Days
“Cholesterol” is probably the most demonized and misunderstood terms in the health world. With the proliferation of cholesterol-moderating drugs and …
- How To Use Fermented Rice Water For Long And Healthy Hair
How you style your hair can change the shape of your face. And for many women, hair is also a …