We all need to do our laundry, but if you’re the kind of person who likes to keep an eye on their environmental footprint, you probably worry about what exactly is in the laundry detergent you use.
Fortunately, “green” laundry detergent, or eco-friendly laundry soap, is relatively cheap and easy to make – it takes 20 minutes and you can store it indefinitely.
Use this recipe to whip up a large batch of laundry soap and never worry about the chemicals that are in store-bought brands again – this is especially useful for individuals with sensitive skin or allergies to common laundry detergents(1)!
Liquid Laundry Soap Recipe
- 1/2 cup Borax
- 1/2 cup washing soda – be sure to get washing soda and not baking soda! If you can’t find this at your local grocery store, check health food stores or organic grocery stores.
- 1 cup soap granules – these are easily found at health food stores or organic grocery stores, but if you’re having trouble finding it simply grate a bar of organic, eco-friendly soap.
- 7 liters of water
Optional ingredients include various essential oils like lavender, sweet orange, tee tree, or lemongrass, all of which contain anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties(2) – and will make your laundry smell lovely!
Grab a large saucepan and fill it with about 2 liters of regular tap water. Add the soap granules and heat gradually over medium heat until the soap granules have dissolved. While bringing the soap mixture to a boil, take a large (at least 7 liters) pail and mix the borax and washing soda in it. Once that’s done, fill the pail halfway with hot tap water and stir.
When the soap mixture is ready, pour it into the pail, topping the whole thing off with more water. Stir the whole thing until it’s a consistent liquid and all the ingredients have dissolved in the water. Finally, if you’re using essential oils, add these last, stirring them in.
Let the mixture cool – you can store it in the pail indefinitely (its soap, after all).
To use your homemade laundry detergent, simply measure out 1/2 cup per load of laundry into containers. Remember to reuse your laundry soap containers so they don’t end up in a landfill!
Over time, your soap will become gelatin-like and separate – this is natural, simply stir it up again when this happens.
If your whites need a boost, try adding an extra 1/2 cup baking soda to your wash.
If you use an energy-efficient HE washing machine, you may need to use less detergent to get your clothes clean.
Finally, if the water in your area is notoriously hard, add more washing soda to your mixture to counteract the effects.
- Science Proves Himalayan Salt Lamps Fight Anxiety and Depression
If you’ve already made the switch to Himalayan salt in the kitchen, why not take it a step further? Large …
- 6 Ways to Boost a Slow Metabolism. Just Doing #5 Helps A Lot.
The dreaded slow metabolism is a frequent roadblock in the effort to get fit by losing weight. If your body …
- Widely Prescribed Drug Deactivates Stem Cells Responsible For Cellular Repair Causing Rapid Aging
Statins, the widely prescribed class of drugs said to lower “bad” cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart problems, has …
- 10 Detox Baths For Relaxation and Rejuvenation
A detox bath is a great way to help cleanse the body, relax the mind, and provide extra support to …
- Regular Mid-Day Naps Can Help Lower Blood Pressure And Decrease Your Risk of Heart Attacks
New research revealed at the European Society of Cardiology conference in London, England(1) has shown that a regular mid-day nap …
- How To Use White Vinegar To Remove Pesticides From Your Fruits And Vegetables
Almost 65% of produce samples analyzed by the U.S Department of Agriculture have been shown to be positive for pesticides. Nobody likes …
- 9 Pesticide-filled Teas You Should Never Buy (and the Kind You Should!)
Tea is one of the most popular drinks enjoyed around the world. Americans drink up to 80 billion cups of …
- 5 Reasons Why You Don’t Want Your Cholesterol Levels Too Low
We hear about cholesterol and how it leads to cardiovascular disease and now cancer. People have latched on to that …
- The Sleep-Sock TRICK You Can Use to Fall Asleep Faster, Avoid Cracked Heels and Stay COOL
Sleep is important. It’s during those hours of slumber that your body undergoes regenerative processes that are necessary to health and restoration. …
- Creamy, Easy To Make, Sugar-Free, Dairy-Free, Coconut Ice Cream
Dessert sure is sweet, but it typically comes with a price. That being said, it can be healthy and satisfying …
- Insurance Companies Begin Writing ‘Ebola Exclusions’ into Policies
While the numbers of people being treated for Ebola are still relatively low in the U.S., insurance companies are taking …
- This List of Ingredients Is The Reason Why You Should Never Feed Your Kids Happy Meals Ever Again!
It’s no secret that McDonald’s doesn’t serve up healthy food. Common ingredients include artificial and synthetic ingredients that can cause …
- 37 Million Bees Found Dead After GMO Fields Were Planted Nearby
There are close to 20,000 different species of bees in the world. You are probably familiar with bumble bees and, …
- 5 Natural Ways To Keep Your Gums Healthy And Disease Free
Gum disease, or periodontal disease, is common, especially in the United States – many adults have some form of gum …
- 3 Simple Ways to Shield Yourself from Computer and Cell Phone Radiation
With cell phones and computers becoming increasingly ubiquitous in society, many people are beginning to ponder the possibly negative effects …