We all need to do our laundry, but if you’re the kind of person who likes to keep an eye on their environmental footprint, you probably worry about what exactly is in the laundry detergent you use.
Fortunately, “green” laundry detergent, or eco-friendly laundry soap, is relatively cheap and easy to make – it takes 20 minutes and you can store it indefinitely.
Use this recipe to whip up a large batch of laundry soap and never worry about the chemicals that are in store-bought brands again – this is especially useful for individuals with sensitive skin or allergies to common laundry detergents(1)!
Liquid Laundry Soap Recipe
- 1/2 cup Borax
- 1/2 cup washing soda – be sure to get washing soda and not baking soda! If you can’t find this at your local grocery store, check health food stores or organic grocery stores.
- 1 cup soap granules – these are easily found at health food stores or organic grocery stores, but if you’re having trouble finding it simply grate a bar of organic, eco-friendly soap.
- 7 liters of water
Optional ingredients include various essential oils like lavender, sweet orange, tee tree, or lemongrass, all of which contain anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties(2) – and will make your laundry smell lovely!
Grab a large saucepan and fill it with about 2 liters of regular tap water. Add the soap granules and heat gradually over medium heat until the soap granules have dissolved. While bringing the soap mixture to a boil, take a large (at least 7 liters) pail and mix the borax and washing soda in it. Once that’s done, fill the pail halfway with hot tap water and stir.
When the soap mixture is ready, pour it into the pail, topping the whole thing off with more water. Stir the whole thing until it’s a consistent liquid and all the ingredients have dissolved in the water. Finally, if you’re using essential oils, add these last, stirring them in.
Let the mixture cool – you can store it in the pail indefinitely (its soap, after all).
To use your homemade laundry detergent, simply measure out 1/2 cup per load of laundry into containers. Remember to reuse your laundry soap containers so they don’t end up in a landfill!
Over time, your soap will become gelatin-like and separate – this is natural, simply stir it up again when this happens.
If your whites need a boost, try adding an extra 1/2 cup baking soda to your wash.
If you use an energy-efficient HE washing machine, you may need to use less detergent to get your clothes clean.
Finally, if the water in your area is notoriously hard, add more washing soda to your mixture to counteract the effects.
- Costco Is Buying Over A Thousand Acres Of Land For Local Farmers To Grow Organic Produce
Costco isn’t exactly where you’d think of shopping for natural products, but they certainly starting making their mark on the …
- Smart Meter Radiation 100 Times Greater Than Cell Phones—And Exposure Is Constant, Doctors Warn
Smart meters appeared on the power grid scene as a way for electric companies to take readings of customers’ usage …
- This Simple Snack Combines 3 Proven Foods To Fight Depression Without Any Side Effects
According to the National Institute of Health (NIH), major depression is currently one of the most common mental disorders in …
- PepsiCo Finally Comes Clean And Admits The Truth About Their Bottled Water
Many people who regularly drink bottled water do so because they believe that it’s safer and is of better quality …
- Less Than 1 Tsp of Ginger and Cinnamon Daily Can Help Relieve Muscle Soreness In Athletes
Muscle soreness and fatigue are two major deterrents for people who exercise at a high intensity. Many well-intentioned workout resolutions …
- Former American Cancer Society Regional CEO Refuses To Drink Milk, Explains Why
“Got Milk?” While this was the U.S. dairy industry’s slogan for over two decades, former CEO of the Oregon division …
- WATCH: Bacteria Invade Antibiotics And Transform Into Superbugs
This is very cool, very novel, very impressive, and fairly frightening. Over the past couple of decades, the medical community …
- Natural Substance Found in Ginger Destroys Leukemia Without Harming Normal Cells, Study Finds
A new study is starting to make waves around the world . Scientists have discovered that 6-Shagaol, a primary ingredient in …
- She Sprays Her Yard With Apple Cider Vinegar…The Reason? This Is Pure GENIUS!
Sure, vinegar is an essential ingredient in any home, but the condiment is often underestimated in and out of the …
- Here is What You Need To Check Next Time You Buy Bottled Water
Bottled water sure is convenient, but are they safe? If you’ve ever turned your bottled water upside-down, you may have …
- Eat Two Kiwi Fruits an Hour Before Bedtime And Get an Extra Hour of Sleep, Study Finds
Studies have shown that one in three adults suffers from insomnia or symptoms of insomnia, meaning that one in three …
- Here’s What THESE 5 Doctors Have To Say About Vaccines (You’ll Want To Hear This For Yourself!)
Let’s be honest, the subject of vaccines is pretty controversial, regardless of what side of the debate you stand on. …
- 8 Things You’re Doing That Drive Your Doctor Crazy
With the availability of information constant and instant, many people are taking their health into their own hands, doing research …
- Top 10 Toxic Fake Foods Made In China You NEED To Avoid
You’re not going to like this, not one bit. Although the news came out more than a year ago, the USDA now allows …
- “It Just Doesn’t Seem Right”: Michigan Farmer Forced To Dump 40,000 Pounds Of Cherries To Make Way For Import Crops
What do you know about Michigan cherries? Traverse City, Michigan lies on the upper east shore of Lake Michigan. Dubbed …