Most people love to throw a bath bomb in the tub and soak their worries away.
There are numerous types on the market which fizz, soften skin and leave you smelling awesome, but most of these also contain harsh dyes, artificial ingredients, and tons of toxins.
Luckily, they’re quite easy and fun to make. Plus, you get to customize your bath melts for an extra soothing and healing bathing experience.
Truth about Toiletries
In today’s world, it’s incredibly important to be an informed consumer.
Some product labels are not only greatly misleading they contain outright lies. If you look to consumer headlines and recalls, you will find a world of deceit and embellished claims.
For example, a label may falsely state that a product is natural or made with all-natural ingredients. Currently, there is no official U.S. government-regulated definition of what “natural ingredients” really means. This allows companies to label their product as “natural” even though it may contain more petrochemicals than plant-derived ingredients (1).
Companies are called out every day for misleading consumers. Headlines such as animal ingredients found in vegan products are not uncommon (2). Another example is businesses which claim not to use GMOs, but they are found in the food or drink when it is tested (3).
Hygiene, skin care, and bath product companies are no different (4).
The only real way to ensure that your bath bombs are safe and natural are to make them yourself. You can even make it a family activity and let your kids’ creative juices flow.
Toxins in Toiletries
Below is a list of a few common ingredients companies use in the commercial production of bath melts.
Fragrance: No one is sure what fragrance is made of except the manufacturer. It is, however, a combination of over 3,000 chemicals, including toxic and potentially carcinogenic ingredients.
Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone: This chemical has been recognized by the scientific community as being one of the most common allergen in commercial personal care products (5).
DIY Bath Melts
Try this safe bath melt recipe for a pain relieving, muscle-soothing soak.
- 1 Cup of natural baking soda
- ½ Cup of powdered citric acid
- ½ Cup of magnesium flakes or Epsom salt
- 1/3 cup of melted raw organic coconut oil
- 10 Drops of essential oils (see recommendations below)
- Flower petals (optional)
- Muffin tin
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together coconut oil and water.
- Stirring constantly, slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry combination. This will probably cause the citric acid to foam, which is normal.
- Once these are completely incorporated, add essential oils.
- Pour the mixture into lightly greased muffin tins until they are filled halfway. This will allow room for the citric acid to expand as your bombs dry.
- Allow your bombs to open air dry at room temperature away from heat and humidity. This should take about 24 hours.
- Once dry, store in an air-tight jar for future use.
To use, place 1-2 under running water as your fill your bathtub. This will make your house smell wonderful as you soak.
The coconut oil will nourish and moisturize your skin, the baking soda will make your skin smooth and soft and the magnesium will help relax sore muscles.
Essential Oil Tips
Here are a few oils worth trying, alone or in combination:
- Lemongrass for a both soothing and invigorating soak.
- Lavender alone or with a touch of orange blossom for a calming and relaxing bath.
- Lemon and orange are great for a rejuvenating and refreshing soak.
- Mint alone or with eucalyptus to soothe and relax your aching muscles.
- Avoid Fleas and Ticks Forever With This Natural Remedy!
Every pet owner knows how annoying fleas can be. These minuscule insects can multiply in days and easily infest your …
- 9 Exercises To Burn Abdominal Fat
What are the best exercises to burn belly fat? A common question in the world of fitness. Belly fat is …
- 9 Signs You’re Overstressed (And Don’t Know It)
Countless studies show that stress is at actually at the root of most disease. In fact, 77 percent of us …
- Your Body Is Acidic. Here’s What You NEED To Do (The Real Truth Behind Cancer…)
Ever heard of Dr. Otto H. Warburg? Unless you or your family member has suffered from cancer and tried to …
- 9 Pesticide-filled Teas You Should Never Buy (and the Kind You Should!)
Tea is one of the most popular drinks enjoyed around the world. Americans drink up to 80 billion cups of …
- Take THIS Before Bed to Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat While You Sleep
Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat It’s normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few pounds, even when you exercise …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …
- 16 Delicious Foods That Burn Belly Fat and Support Weight Loss
Obesity is a way-to-common problem in America and throughout the world. In fact, according to the Nation Health Institute, in …
- How Only 15 Minutes of Walking Can Change Everything
Walking is the most ordinary thing a human can do. Unless we have a physical impairment, we take this activity …