Most people love to throw a bath bomb in the tub and soak their worries away.
There are numerous types on the market which fizz, soften skin and leave you smelling awesome, but most of these also contain harsh dyes, artificial ingredients, and tons of toxins.
Luckily, they’re quite easy and fun to make. Plus, you get to customize your bath melts for an extra soothing and healing bathing experience.
Truth about Toiletries
In today’s world, it’s incredibly important to be an informed consumer.
Some product labels are not only greatly misleading they contain outright lies. If you look to consumer headlines and recalls, you will find a world of deceit and embellished claims.
For example, a label may falsely state that a product is natural or made with all-natural ingredients. Currently, there is no official U.S. government-regulated definition of what “natural ingredients” really means. This allows companies to label their product as “natural” even though it may contain more petrochemicals than plant-derived ingredients (1).
Companies are called out every day for misleading consumers. Headlines such as animal ingredients found in vegan products are not uncommon (2). Another example is businesses which claim not to use GMOs, but they are found in the food or drink when it is tested (3).
Hygiene, skin care, and bath product companies are no different (4).
The only real way to ensure that your bath bombs are safe and natural are to make them yourself. You can even make it a family activity and let your kids’ creative juices flow.
Toxins in Toiletries
Below is a list of a few common ingredients companies use in the commercial production of bath melts.
Fragrance: No one is sure what fragrance is made of except the manufacturer. It is, however, a combination of over 3,000 chemicals, including toxic and potentially carcinogenic ingredients.
Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone: This chemical has been recognized by the scientific community as being one of the most common allergen in commercial personal care products (5).
DIY Bath Melts
Try this safe bath melt recipe for a pain relieving, muscle-soothing soak.
- 1 Cup of natural baking soda
- ½ Cup of powdered citric acid
- ½ Cup of magnesium flakes or Epsom salt
- 1/3 cup of melted raw organic coconut oil
- 10 Drops of essential oils (see recommendations below)
- Flower petals (optional)
- Muffin tin
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together coconut oil and water.
- Stirring constantly, slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry combination. This will probably cause the citric acid to foam, which is normal.
- Once these are completely incorporated, add essential oils.
- Pour the mixture into lightly greased muffin tins until they are filled halfway. This will allow room for the citric acid to expand as your bombs dry.
- Allow your bombs to open air dry at room temperature away from heat and humidity. This should take about 24 hours.
- Once dry, store in an air-tight jar for future use.
To use, place 1-2 under running water as your fill your bathtub. This will make your house smell wonderful as you soak.
The coconut oil will nourish and moisturize your skin, the baking soda will make your skin smooth and soft and the magnesium will help relax sore muscles.
Essential Oil Tips
Here are a few oils worth trying, alone or in combination:
- Lemongrass for a both soothing and invigorating soak.
- Lavender alone or with a touch of orange blossom for a calming and relaxing bath.
- Lemon and orange are great for a rejuvenating and refreshing soak.
- Mint alone or with eucalyptus to soothe and relax your aching muscles.
- 9 Easy Ways to STOP Mosquito Bites From ITCHING
Mosquitoes are annoying on their own, but when they bite, these pesky insects can keep you frustrated for days on …
- Do These 3 Things To Lose Weight Without Hunger
Losing weight without hunger. Challenging, but doable. You can lose weight without even changing your caloric intake if you choose …
- How To Read Barcodes to Find out Where Your Food Really Comes From
Even if you take a look at the ingredients and food facts you probably don’t glance at the product code. …
- The New Cannabis Capsule Is So Powerful It Can Replace Any Pain Killer
Painkilling drugs, like many pharmaceuticals, have come under fire for their harmful side effects. Despite these well-documented effects, pharmaceuticals still …
- The Single Best Thing You Can Do For Your Health
In this short video presentation, Dr. Mike answers the old question “What is the single best thing we can do …
- Big Pharma Stands To Lose $18.5 Billion If All 50 States Legalize Medical Marijuana
Pharmaceutical companies are one of the biggest influences in the US economy and, subsequently, in US law. It is no …
- This Powerful Anti-Drinking Ad From Finland Will Give You Goosebumps…(Don’t Watch This at Night)
This might be the most eerie anti-drinking ad you’ve ever seen. The ad comes from Finland where alcoholism rates are …
- First Urban ‘Agrihood’ In America Feeds 2,000 Households For Free
Detroit ‘s organic scene isn’t much to talk about, or is it? What do you get when you combine an …
- Lemon-Soda Drink: A Cyanide to Cancer Cells. Here’s How to Make It With 2 Simple Ingredients
You undoubtedly learned about pH levels in high school. But whether something is alkaline or acidic doesn’t just pertain to …
- 5 Interesting Reasons to Sleep Naked Tonight
Sleeping naked is not something one normally thinks about–you either do it or you don’t. It turns out, however, that there …
- 2-Ingredient Cleaning Solution For a Shiny Toilet – No Scrubbing Needed
It’s no secret that your toilet isn’t the cleanest place in your home. In the average household, toilets typically contain …
- How To Prevent The Deadliest of All Types of Cancer By Eating This ONE Thing!
Pancreatic cancer is no joke. Because it’s difficult to spot in the early stages, the disease is one of the …
- The Leaves of Soursop Are 1000 Times Stronger at Killing Cancer Cells Than Chemotherapy
Graviola, or soursop, is a tropical fruit native to South America and the Caribbean. Known also as custard apple (THAT …
- 5 Natural Ways to Bust Stress Immediately!
We can often find ourselves giving so much to others, be it at work or at home, that we often …
- 5 Health Risks Associated with Low Testosterone Levels
Testosterone plays an important role in the health of men. Testosterone levels are highest during teenage years and early adulthood …