Most people love to throw a bath bomb in the tub and soak their worries away.
There are numerous types on the market which fizz, soften skin and leave you smelling awesome, but most of these also contain harsh dyes, artificial ingredients, and tons of toxins.
Luckily, they’re quite easy and fun to make. Plus, you get to customize your bath melts for an extra soothing and healing bathing experience.
Truth about Toiletries
In today’s world, it’s incredibly important to be an informed consumer.
Some product labels are not only greatly misleading they contain outright lies. If you look to consumer headlines and recalls, you will find a world of deceit and embellished claims.
For example, a label may falsely state that a product is natural or made with all-natural ingredients. Currently, there is no official U.S. government-regulated definition of what “natural ingredients” really means. This allows companies to label their product as “natural” even though it may contain more petrochemicals than plant-derived ingredients (1).
Companies are called out every day for misleading consumers. Headlines such as animal ingredients found in vegan products are not uncommon (2). Another example is businesses which claim not to use GMOs, but they are found in the food or drink when it is tested (3).
Hygiene, skin care, and bath product companies are no different (4).
The only real way to ensure that your bath bombs are safe and natural are to make them yourself. You can even make it a family activity and let your kids’ creative juices flow.
Toxins in Toiletries
Below is a list of a few common ingredients companies use in the commercial production of bath melts.
Fragrance: No one is sure what fragrance is made of except the manufacturer. It is, however, a combination of over 3,000 chemicals, including toxic and potentially carcinogenic ingredients.
Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone: This chemical has been recognized by the scientific community as being one of the most common allergen in commercial personal care products (5).
DIY Bath Melts
Try this safe bath melt recipe for a pain relieving, muscle-soothing soak.
- 1 Cup of natural baking soda
- ½ Cup of powdered citric acid
- ½ Cup of magnesium flakes or Epsom salt
- 1/3 cup of melted raw organic coconut oil
- 10 Drops of essential oils (see recommendations below)
- Flower petals (optional)
- Muffin tin
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together coconut oil and water.
- Stirring constantly, slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry combination. This will probably cause the citric acid to foam, which is normal.
- Once these are completely incorporated, add essential oils.
- Pour the mixture into lightly greased muffin tins until they are filled halfway. This will allow room for the citric acid to expand as your bombs dry.
- Allow your bombs to open air dry at room temperature away from heat and humidity. This should take about 24 hours.
- Once dry, store in an air-tight jar for future use.
To use, place 1-2 under running water as your fill your bathtub. This will make your house smell wonderful as you soak.
The coconut oil will nourish and moisturize your skin, the baking soda will make your skin smooth and soft and the magnesium will help relax sore muscles.
Essential Oil Tips
Here are a few oils worth trying, alone or in combination:
- Lemongrass for a both soothing and invigorating soak.
- Lavender alone or with a touch of orange blossom for a calming and relaxing bath.
- Lemon and orange are great for a rejuvenating and refreshing soak.
- Mint alone or with eucalyptus to soothe and relax your aching muscles.
- This Little-Known Fact Is The Real Reason Why Wheat Is Toxic (And It’s NOT The Gluten…)
Wheat is quickly becoming a vicious allergen. You probably know someone who’s gluten intolerant, seeing as it’s one of the …
- Axe Products Make Men Grow Breasts And Develop Cancers Of The Prostate And Liver
Until recently, we never really questioned what was in our personal care products. We naively assumed they were safe—after all, …
- New Study Confirms Not so Surprising Fact About Weight Loss
I imagine this one will be all over the news today, and superficially I can certainly see why – a …
- These Chips Are Filled With Monsanto Herbicide Linked To Hormone Disruption, Reproductive Damage And Digestive Disorders
With the growing focus on the dangers of trans-fats, fast food companies have had to find new and creative ways …
- 30 Reasons To NEVER Put Another M&M In Your Mouth Ever Again
M&M’s can be hard to resist. Especially, if you grew up with them. Yet, very few people know about the …
- Get Rid of Headaches And Reduce Swelling With This 2-Ingredient Remedy
There’s a particular kind of headache that’s especially painful and persistent – sinus headaches are among the most common types …
- 10 Reasons Why You’re Not Losing Weight
Hit a plateau? Check out these ten reasons for why you’re not losing that weight, and tips to get back …
- Couple Donates $33.7 Million To Medical Cannabis Research After Cannabis Cured Granddaughter’s Epilepsy
Katelyn Lambert of Sydney, Australia has a rare form of epilepsy called Dravet syndrome. It is characterized by frequent and …
- Say Goodbye to Trans Fats
The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has recently announced the decision to ban trans fats. This ingredient which was once …
- When You Try This 2,000-Year-Old Lotion Recipe, You’ll Know Why People Still Use It
Facial cleansers are everywhere on the market today, and it can be hard to know which ones are actually good …
- Being Overweight due to ‘Slow Metabolism’ No Longer Just an Excuse
No longer can people be mocked for saying the reason they are overweight is due to ‘bad genes’, because researchers …
- Popular Over-The-Counter Pills Used For Colds, Allergies And Pain Relief Linked to Dementia
We assume that over-the-counter meds for common ailments such as allergies and sleeplessness are safe. The most popular brands of these …
- Apple Extract Kills Colon Cancer Cells Better Than Chemotherapy Drug
Recent studies have discovered that natural compounds called Oligosaccharides, derived from apples, killed up to 46 percent of human colon cancer …
- Just Eight Weeks of Eating Paleo Can Dramatically Cut Blockages in Your Arteries!
Ever considered going Paleo? Well, a recent University of Houston study demonstrated that it would be worth taking the leap …
- 50+ Unexpected Ways to Use This Miracle Oil (From Managing Diabetes to Baby Wipes)
(originally written by Chantelle Zakariasen) 1. Coconut Oil for Cooking Coconut oil is a great fat to cook with because it’s structure …