In the last few years, avocados have been popping up everywhere in healthy recipes, food blogs and on health websites.
Although it has a multiple of uses, the only downside of the fruit is that it tends to get mushy, brown, and unappealing shortly after being cut. So how do you keep avocados fresh?
Luckily, there’s a quick and easy trick to keep your avocados fresh to use in future recipes.
Why Eat More Avocado?
As tasty as they are nutritious, avocados are a major source of healthy nutrients, including (1):
- Vitamin E
- Folic Acid
- Vitamin A
And that’s just the beginning of their health benefits!
How Avocadoes Fight Cancer
Glutathione is a master antioxidant found in avocados that effectively detoxify the body and protect the cells from oxidative stress, Avocadoes are also a source of oleic acid, which fight unhealthy plaque-forming cholesterol (2).
Eating a diet rich in oleic acid can even lower your risk of developing breast cancer, according to Michelle Smekens, N.D, FABNO, Naturopathic oncology provider at Cancer treatment centers of America’s Midwestern Regional Medical Center (3).
Recent research has also found that the molecules found in avocados could actually hold the power to treat specific forms of Leukemia. In fact, researchers have even filed a patent application for use of avocation B, a compound found in avocados, to develop drugs that combats acute myeloid leukemia (4).
The healthy fats found in avocados also aid in keeping neurological cell membranes flexible.
Studies published in the October 2012 edition of The Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology states that monounsaturated fatty acids actually protect nerve cells in the brain known as astrocytes, which support information-carrying cells (5).
How To Keep Avocados Fresh
When Avocados are cut, they quickly brown due to oxidization.
An enzyme known as polyphenol oxidase is the cause of this phenomenon that makes avocados difficult to store.
To prevent browning, all you need is some fresh cut avocado, a red onion and an air tight container (6).
- Start by slicing red onion into large pieces and place at the bottom of your container.
- Add half an avocado, cut lengthwise, skin-side down over the onion. This will prevent your avocado from absorbing the onion flavor.
- The gasses released by the onion will prevent the avocado from oxidizing for 5-7 days.
- How To Use White Vinegar To Remove Pesticides From Your Fruits And Vegetables
Almost 65% of produce samples analyzed by the U.S Department of Agriculture have been shown to be positive for pesticides. Nobody likes …
- Gut Bacteria Determines Ability to Lose Weight and Keep it Off
Ever wonder why one person will gain weight so easily while another easily remains skinny? Certainly a lot has to …
- How To Naturally Improve Your Eyesight With These 16 Eye Exercises
Laser surgery and glasses aren’t the only ways to maintain your eyesight. Similar to how working out keeps your body fit, regular exercise …
- Undeniable Link Between Aerobic Exercise and Memory Will Make You Think Twice About Taking The Elevator
Researchers from Michigan State University have published a study that looked at the effect of exercise on the brain. We all …
- What Your Doctor Doesn’t Know About Nutritional Medicine May Be Killing You
Dr Ray Strand’s What Your Doctor Doesn’t Know About Nutritional Medicine May Be Killing You was originally published over ten …
- Are You Being Overprescribed Antibiotics?
Antibiotics are, by all means, incredibly useful drugs, and they’ve turned what used to be lethal illnesses into mere annoyances (and maybe …
- 8 Hand Signs Yoga Masters Use To Get Rid Of Migraines, Anxiety, And Depression
Mudras are specific hand positions meant to stimulate your brain in different ways to improve blood flow and balance emotions …
- 10 Little-Known Reasons Why Stress Is More Harmful To Your Body Than You Think
Chronic stress affects us in very real ways, although it can be a hard thing to measure. Often, because stress …
- 7 Easy Ways To Quickly Unclog Your Lymph Nodes To Reduce Swelling And Flush Out Toxins
You are probably familiar with the term “lymph glands (nodes).” There are hundreds (600-700) of lymph nodes scattered throughout your body. …
- The Natural Remedy That Will PURGE Parasites From Your Body!
The longest tapeworm ever found in a human’s intestines was approximately 82 feet, which is the length of a standard …
- Why It Pays (For Your Health) To Be Optimistic
In life there are two types of people: those who view the glass as half full, and those who see …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- How To Make Detox Foot Pads At Home To Cleanse Your Body Of Toxins
Foot pads have been used and sold in Japan for hundreds of years. Similar to acupuncture, which has a positive effect on people’s energetic systems, …
- Best Supplements for Omega-3s in Your Diet
Your doctor may have already told you that incorporating omega-3 fatty acids into your diet is important. Those miraculous omega-3s …
- How To Unclog a Smelly Drain In Minutes WITHOUT Using Toxic Drain Cleaner!
There’s nothing worse than waking up in the morning, stepping into the shower to wash up and being woken up …