In the last few years, avocados have been popping up everywhere in healthy recipes, food blogs and on health websites.
Although it has a multiple of uses, the only downside of the fruit is that it tends to get mushy, brown, and unappealing shortly after being cut. So how do you keep avocados fresh?
Luckily, there’s a quick and easy trick to keep your avocados fresh to use in future recipes.
Why Eat More Avocado?
As tasty as they are nutritious, avocados are a major source of healthy nutrients, including (1):
- Vitamin E
- Folic Acid
- Vitamin A
And that’s just the beginning of their health benefits!
How Avocadoes Fight Cancer
Glutathione is a master antioxidant found in avocados that effectively detoxify the body and protect the cells from oxidative stress, Avocadoes are also a source of oleic acid, which fight unhealthy plaque-forming cholesterol (2).
Eating a diet rich in oleic acid can even lower your risk of developing breast cancer, according to Michelle Smekens, N.D, FABNO, Naturopathic oncology provider at Cancer treatment centers of America’s Midwestern Regional Medical Center (3).
Recent research has also found that the molecules found in avocados could actually hold the power to treat specific forms of Leukemia. In fact, researchers have even filed a patent application for use of avocation B, a compound found in avocados, to develop drugs that combats acute myeloid leukemia (4).
The healthy fats found in avocados also aid in keeping neurological cell membranes flexible.
Studies published in the October 2012 edition of The Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology states that monounsaturated fatty acids actually protect nerve cells in the brain known as astrocytes, which support information-carrying cells (5).
How To Keep Avocados Fresh
When Avocados are cut, they quickly brown due to oxidization.
An enzyme known as polyphenol oxidase is the cause of this phenomenon that makes avocados difficult to store.
To prevent browning, all you need is some fresh cut avocado, a red onion and an air tight container (6).
- Start by slicing red onion into large pieces and place at the bottom of your container.
- Add half an avocado, cut lengthwise, skin-side down over the onion. This will prevent your avocado from absorbing the onion flavor.
- The gasses released by the onion will prevent the avocado from oxidizing for 5-7 days.
- The Biggest Loser TV Show Destroys Participants’ Metabolisms
The most important weight loss tip? Don’t try what you see on television. There is a big problem with the …
- Panera Removes Over 150 Unhealthy Chemicals From Its Food!
Eighty-three percent of the population in the United States visits fast food joints and over sixty-eight percent visits casual dining …
- Can Talking to Yourself be the Best Motivation?
Although many of us are loathed to admit it, a great number of people are known to mutter to themselves …
- Berkeley Doctor Claims People Die From Chemotherapy, Not Cancer [Watch]
Peter Glidden, BS, ND is a naturopath who describes himself as follows: “I am an outspoken, steadfast stand for the …
- Fatigue, Vitamin Deficiencies, and Diabetes: 7 Health Problems that Your Hands are Warning You About
The eyes may be the windows to the soul but your hands may be the windows to your blood and …
- Top 8 Ways Women Can Prevent Urinary Tract Infections
A urinary tract infection or UTI is an infection that happens in the kidneys, ureter, bladder, and/or urethra. A UTI is …
- 5 Treatments for Diabetic Pain You Might Not Know About
Diabetic neuropathies—the problems caused by the damage diabetes does to nerves—eventually cause pain in 60 to 70% of people with …
- Best DIY Homemade Toner for Acne Prone Skin
A homemade toner for acne prone skin should be two things: simple and economical. No long list of required ingredients, …
- 5 Toxins That Destroy Your Thyroid And a Simple Drink To Save It
Your thyroid secretes hormones that regulate the metabolism of every cell in the body (1). It plays an important role in: …
- Ice in 6 out of 10 Restaurants has More Bacteria Than Water From Toilets
A survey of ice served in ten British fast food restaurants found that at six of them, there were more …
- USDA Says: Okay To Ship U.S. Chickens to China for Cheap Processing Then Back Home For You to Eat
A new shipping and processing policy allowing chickens raised and slaughtered in the U.S. to be shipped to China for …
- 4 Little Known Herbs That Help Protect Your Heart
Worried about your risk of stroke or heart attack? Maybe you have high cholesterol? In addition to medicine prescribed by …
- Say Goodbye to Trans Fats
The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has recently announced the decision to ban trans fats. This ingredient which was once …
- It Takes a Glass of This And Your Liver Will Be Renewed!
How do you know if your body is unwell ? Your digestive system will make you bloated and sore, your lungs …
- This Is What Tapping THESE Points On Your Body Can Do For You!
Emotions are an essential part of what makes us human. They are at once one of the most enriching elements …