There’s nothing more comforting than a warm cup of hot cocoa on a cold day.
While it’s a true winter classic, most american families rely on chemical-laden powdered hot chocolate mix or store-bought chocolate syrup to make it themselves.
You don’t need to use dairy or expensive chocolate to make the best hot cocoa, all you need is just a few superfood ingredients you probably already have a home.
Healthy Hot Chocolate Recipe
This delicious recipe serves 2 cups of creamy goodness!
- 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of alkaline water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon raw maca powder
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered turmeric
- a pinch of black pepper
- honey to taste
- 3 dashes of pure cinnamon
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- a pinch of Himalayan salt
- In a small saucepan, whisk coconut milk and water over medium heat.
- Just before it boils, remove from heat.
- Place into a tempered glass blender.
- Sift cocoa and maca powder through a fine mesh strainer and into the blender.
- Add all the remaining ingredients.
- Blend at high speed until the milk gets nice and frothy.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
Coconut oil and coconut milk promote heart and digestive health (1,2). Together. they regulate cholesterol to help prevent cardiovascular disease (3,4).
Cinnamon reduces blood glucose concentration and enhances insulin sensitivity, which can help assist with weight loss and help manage diabetes (5).
Cinnamaldehyde, an active compound found in cinnamon, is also believed to suppress colon cancer cells (6) and may be effective against human liver cancer cells (7).
Turmeric is a spice with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties (8). It’s also well-known for fighting cancer (9). Taking it with black pepper increases the effectiveness of the spice by as much as 2000% (10). You can learn more about how to optimize turmeric absorption here.
Cayenne pepper fights inflammation (11), boosts metabolism (12) and prevents complications from diabetes (13).
Cocoa‘s antioxidant properties offer neuron protection and enhance cognition and positive mood. It also lessens allergic responses and fight bacterial overgrowth in the intestines (14).
Maca is comonly used to treat anemia and chronic fatigue syndrome. It also boosts energy, stamina, athletic performance, memory, and fertility.
Women can use maca for female hormone imbalance, menstrual problems, and to lessen symptoms of menopause (15).
- Surprising Health Benefits of Peppermint
Peppermint has long been added to various products, such as candies, ice creams, gum, cakes and toothpaste, because of its …
- The Best Fish to Eat and the Most Dangerous. Avoid These 5 Types Of Fish!
Fish can be an excellent addition to a healthy diet, since many types are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and …
- You Can Help Your Thyroid by Temporarily Reducing or Avoiding Goitrogenic Foods
The thyroid is part of the endocrine system, a small gland shaped like a butterfly and located in the lower …
- Rich in Selenium, Brazil Nuts Are The Perfect Food For Fluoride Detox
Fluoride is a neurotoxin. It’s in our water and the food supply. It has been linked to cancer, neurological disorders, …
- 5 Delicious Fruit-Infused Water Recipes To Drink Instead Of Soda
Soda can feel like a cool, refreshing drink on a hot day, but it’s hardly the most health-conscious option available. …
- How to Make One of The Most Powerful Natural Medicine Known To Man – Turmeric Supplements
Turmeric is quickly rising as an all-healing superfood that can prevent a wide variety of chronic diseases. The East Indian …
- Orange Juice Not As Healthy As You Think
Just because it’s made from fruit, doesn’t mean it’s the best choice. Orange juice is a breakfast staple, right? Well—it …
- America’s #1 GMO Cookie that Causes Fatty Liver And Cancer
Oreo cookies are of America’s most well-loved and recognized treats. Throughout their 104-year legacy, the cookie brand has settled into …
- Is Butter Good For You?
In his Seven Countries study, Ancel Keys, an American scientist concluded that saturated fats, like those found in butter, were …
- Toxic and Carcinogenic Plastics are Found in Fifteen Sea Salt Brands from Different Countries
Believe it or not, salt is healthy and essential – as long you don’t eat too much of it. Processed foods …
- Surprising Foods That Have More Sugar Than a Krispy Kreme Doughnut
So, you’re on a health kick and are avoiding those tempting sugary foods such as Krispy Kreme doughnuts, you’re filling …
- Anti-inflammatory Honey Turmeric Tonic Recipe And 17 Other Master Tonics
If you often find yourself tired or sick, it may be time to start integrating a master tonic or two …
- 8 Healthy Food Swaps Worth Trying
Original article written by Natasha Longo, comments by Daily Health Post. You don’t have to sacrifice taste when switching to a …
- 7 Ingredients That Are Depleting Your Body of Important Nutrients
Unless you’re living on a farm in the middle of nowhere, chances are you consume at least some packaged foods. …
- 5 Foods With SPF To Protect Your Skin
Protecting your skin from sun damage is a huge part of staying healthy, not only throughout the summer but year-round. …