Garlic definitely has an interesting and versatile flavor profile, and the same could be said about its medicinal properties.
In fact, communities around the world continue to rely on its healing compounds to cure common ailments.
However, before you use garlic as medicine, here’s what you should know.
How Garlic Works
Garlic is mostly known for its active compound, allicin. However, allicin is actually created when garlic is crushed and the enzyme it contains, alliinase, converts alliin into allicin. Allicin then makes its way to your gut where it will be absorbed (1,2).
“Garlic breath” is actually an indication of the metabolism and bioavailability of allicin.
Always Crush Your Garlic
To get the enzyme to work, it’s important to crush or mince your garlic and let it sit on your counter for 5-10 minutes for it to metabolize alliin. If you skip this step and cook the bulb right away, allicin will not be produced.
After waiting, the spice can last 10-15 minutes at medium to low heat without harming the compound. The longer you cook it, the more nutrients will be lost. After 45 minutes, your garlic will have lost a great deal of its nutritional content.
If you’re planning on using garlic as a medicine, it’s best to eat it raw or even let it sprout to get the most of its healing properties.
Health Benefits Of Garlic
Here are just a few reasons to add 2-3 cloves of garlic to your daily diet!
- Garlic cures colds and can reduce the length of cold symptoms by up to 70%. Taking the spice daily also prevents the onset of the cold and flu (3).
- Lowers blood pressure by relaxing smooth muscles and dilating blood vessels. One study found that 600 to 1,500mg of aged garlic was just as effective as the drug Atenolol (4).
- Prevents heart disease by lowering serum levels of LDL cholesterol (5).
- Fights infection, effectively working against antibiotic-resistant bacteria (6).
- Prevents cancer risk by up to 44%.
If you’re curious about how to use garlic for these conditions or can’t stomach the taste of garlic on its own, try these 3 healing recipes.
1. Honey Garlic Tincture
- One small jar with a lid
- A sharp kitchen knife
- One head of garlic
- Raw organic honey
- Peel each garlic clove and use the back of your knife to crush each one.
- Let the cloves sit for 15 minutes.
- Add garlic to your jar and cover with honey until the cloves are submerged.
- Secure lid and let the mixture sit in a dark, cool place for 3-5 days.
- Place in the refrigerator and keep for 3-4 months. Eat 1-2 cloves daily as needed.
2. Spicy Elixir
- Tincture bottle
- Wide mouth jar with a lid
- 2 tbsp raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp lemon fresh juice
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1-2 inches of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups filtered water
- In a small saucepan, boil the water and turn off heat.
- Meanwhile, crush the garlic and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients to a tea filter or muslin cloth and place in your teapot.
- Pour water into the teapot and steep for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy with a touch of honey.
3. Feisty Garlic Tincture
- 1 cup garlic, minced
- ½ cup raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup raw organic honey
- A pinch of black pepper
- A large glass jar with a lid
- A tincture bottle
- Add garlic to your jar and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Whisk together the vinegar and honey and pour over your garlic, leaving a one inch gap at the top.
- Secure lid and let the mixture sit in a cool cupboard for a month.
- Stain the mixture through a chessecloth and store in a tincture bottle in the fridge.
- To use, take 10-20 drops at a time.
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- 16 Delicious Foods That Burn Belly Fat and Support Weight Loss
Obesity is a way-to-common problem in America and throughout the world. In fact, according to the Nation Health Institute, in …
- How Only 15 Minutes of Walking Can Change Everything
Walking is the most ordinary thing a human can do. Unless we have a physical impairment, we take this activity …
- Here’s What You Didn’t Know You Could Do With Baking Soda (From Fighting Heartburn To Cancer)
Baking soda is one of those things that can do pretty much anything. Whether you use it for cleaning, personal hygiene …
- Try the World’s 7 Easiest Exercises for Back Fat and Underarm Flab
Fitness is a whole-body state. Muscle strength and tone along with cardiovascular health go together to complete the picture. No …
- Remove All Toxins From The Body In 3 Days (Prevent Cancer, Excess Fat And Water Retention!)
If you’re feeling tired or sluggish, it may be time to cleanse and detox your body. Things like stress, poor …
- 20 Natural Ways to Cleanse Your Lungs
Most of us take breathing for granted. Even if you don’t smoke or experience respiratory problems, an occasional lung cleanse …
- 14 Early Warning Signs Of Mold Toxicity Everyone Should Know (Millions Are Exposed Every Day)
When you hear the word mold, you often think of rotten food or dirty showers in bathrooms, but this very …
- How to Effectively Remove a Painful Ingrown Toenail WITHOUT Having To Go To The Doctor
If you ever suffered from an ingrown toenail, then you know that it’s not only super painful, it’s also hard …
- THIS Is What Happens To Your Face After Washing It With Coconut Oil and Baking Soda
Baking soda and coconut oil face wash, can be very good for washing your face. Exfoliating your skin has become …