Apple cider vinegar is probably one of the best things you could drink before a meal.
In some cases, it can even be better than just plain water.
If you’re the kind to feel sluggish or lethargic after a meal, then you’ll want to keep on reading.
Below you’ll discover the many benefits of drinking this superfood.
1. Lowers Blood Sugar
Vinegar has been shown to have numerous benefits for managing blood sugar levels:
- It improves insulin sensitivity during a high-carb meal by 19-34% and significantly lowers blood glucose and insulin responses (1).
- Reduces blood sugar by 34% when eating 50 grams of white bread (2).
- Numerous other studies, in both rats and humans, show that vinegar can increase insulin sensitivity and significantly lower blood sugar responses during meals (3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8).
Stable blood sugar levels throughout the day allows your body to be in fat burning mode longer.
2. Improves Iron Absorption
Low levels of stomach acid is linked with heartburn but it also reduces your body’s ability to absorb essential nutrients. For example, foods rich in iron need to be exposed to stomach acid in order to be absorbed. Iron is a necessary component of hemoglobin and myoglobin, which carry oxygen to cells in your body.
3. Appetite Suppressant
For those who are looking to lose weight, apple cider vinegar can help.
Many human studies found that drinking ACV before a meal lowers the amount of total calories eaten during a day by as much as 200-275 calories.
One study showed that “daily vinegar consumption led to reduced belly fat, waist circumference, lower blood triglycerides and weight loss.” (9)
The study was done over 12 weeks and here are the results:
- 1 tablespoon of ACV before a meal: Lost 2.6 pounds
- 2 tablespoons of ACV before a meal: Lost 3.7 pounds
To experience these apple cider vinegar benefits, simply mix 1-2 tablespoons with a cup of water and drink it before each meal.