Apple cider vinegar is probably one of the best things you could drink before a meal.
In some cases, it can even be better than just plain water.
If you’re the kind to feel sluggish or lethargic after a meal, then you’ll want to keep on reading.
Below you’ll discover the many benefits of drinking this superfood.
1. Lowers Blood Sugar
Vinegar has been shown to have numerous benefits for managing blood sugar levels:
- It improves insulin sensitivity during a high-carb meal by 19-34% and significantly lowers blood glucose and insulin responses (1).
- Reduces blood sugar by 34% when eating 50 grams of white bread (2).
- Numerous other studies, in both rats and humans, show that vinegar can increase insulin sensitivity and significantly lower blood sugar responses during meals (3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8).
Stable blood sugar levels throughout the day allows your body to be in fat burning mode longer.
2. Improves Iron Absorption
Low levels of stomach acid is linked with heartburn but it also reduces your body’s ability to absorb essential nutrients. For example, foods rich in iron need to be exposed to stomach acid in order to be absorbed. Iron is a necessary component of hemoglobin and myoglobin, which carry oxygen to cells in your body.
3. Appetite Suppressant
For those who are looking to lose weight, apple cider vinegar can help.
Many human studies found that drinking ACV before a meal lowers the amount of total calories eaten during a day by as much as 200-275 calories.
One study showed that “daily vinegar consumption led to reduced belly fat, waist circumference, lower blood triglycerides and weight loss.” (9)
The study was done over 12 weeks and here are the results:
- 1 tablespoon of ACV before a meal: Lost 2.6 pounds
- 2 tablespoons of ACV before a meal: Lost 3.7 pounds
To experience these apple cider vinegar benefits, simply mix 1-2 tablespoons with a cup of water and drink it before each meal.
- Top 5 Reasons Why You Need To Cut Back on Fructose
Many diets, such as the Paleo diet, advise against consuming large amounts of sugar. There’s a good reason for this: …
- Top 27 Alkaline Foods On The Planet (Eat More To Prevent Cancer, Obesity and Heart Disease)
The western lifestyle has prioritized convenience over quality in many aspect of everyday life. This is what’s led countless of …
- Is Your Olive Oil Lying About Its Virginity?
You’d have to live in a cave to not have heard about the health benefits of olive oil. It’s a …
- Dietary Supplements with DMAA Ruled Dangerous by FDA
The FDA has ruled DMAA, a common dietary and exercise supplement, to be unsafe, but it’s still on the market. …
- See What Happens Inside Your Body When You Eat Ramen Noodles
Ever though what happens when you eat ramen noodles? This story may make you think twice before downing a bowl …
- 3-Ingredient Mixture Improves Vision and Detoxifies Liver
When making anti-inflammatory juices at home, the sky is the limit. There are almost no limits as to what you …
- 10 Superfoods You Can Add to Your Coffee
Each day a person gets about three opportunities to up their nutrition in order to sustain them for that day …
- Can’t Afford Organic All The Time? No Worries, These 15 Foods Have Virtually No Pesticides!
Foods that are pesticides free – Accessibility? While many health-conscious shoppers choose to buy organic produce, the reality is that …
- Eating Processed Junk Food Makes You Fat and Lazy, Study Suggests
What you eat affects everything about you: energy level, mood, how you look, and overall health. If you pay attention, …
- Eat Half a Teaspoon of Turmeric Every Day And These 10 Things Will Happen To Your Body
Turmeric, commonly found in curry, is an increasingly popular spice. Not only is it delicious, it’s also effective in …
- Don’t Ignore These Warning Signs of Vitamin B12 Deficiency!
Despite eating a diet rich in meat and dairy, experts believe that one in every four adults in the United …
- Never Use Ginger If You Have Any of These Conditions – It Can Cause Serious Health Problems
Ginger root is an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and digestive superfood. The spice is recommended as a natural medicine for many physical ailments …
- From Pharyngitis to Cold Sores: 19 Proven Ways To Use Bee Propolis
The humble but mighty honey bee is responsible for maintaining a great many different ecosystems on the planet. In addition, …
- Reforming Picky Eaters: Get Your Kids to Eat Healthier
If your kids are ridiculously picky eaters, you’re not alone. The trick to getting your kids to eat healthy food …
- How Much Water Do We Need To Drink, According To Our Weight?
If you’ve never taken the time to appreciate all the health benefits of water, now may just be the right …