Cayenne pepper is a spice with a long history of medicinal and therapeutic uses. Used in many cleanse recipes, this seasoning packs a kick, but it’s more than just a distinctive flavor. Here are some of the health benefits of cayenne pepper:
1. Anti-fungal Properties
Cayenne pepper contains a compound known as CAY-1, a novel anti-fungal compound. Studies have shown that this compound prevents fungal growth.
2. Pain Relief
Capsicum, also known as capsaicin, is found in cayenne peppers and is often used topically for pain relief. Studies have shown that capsicum patches can relieve muscle pain; capsicum cream is also effective in treating chronic pain.
3. Promoting Heart Health
A recent paper published in the journal Critical Reviews of Food Science Nutrition discusses the potential of capsicum for having cardio-protective properties.
Capsicum has been proven to have an anti-inflammatory effect on antigen-induced inflammation.
5. Metabolism Booster
Cayenne pepper may also boost your metabolic rate, according to a study on Thai women done in 2003, making it an important weight loss tool.
6. Preventing Diabetes Complications
A 2014 study in the Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences has revealed that cayenne pepper may have an important role to play in preventing complications from diabetes due to it’s anti-oxidation effects.
7. Cancer Prevention
A study on mice in 2001 discovered that cayenne pepper may have anti-cancer properties as well, inhibiting the growth of tumors in in vitro mice, as well as inhibiting the effects of the Epstein-Barr virus.
8. Reducing Oxidative Stress
This 2013 study revealed that a combination of green tea concentrate and capsicum can greatly reduce oxidative stress, which is one of the major culprits of cancer.
- The 5 Most Prominent Minerals In The Body and Their Use
Health conscious people often talk about getting enough vitamins and minerals, but do you know which minerals your body requires …
- Here’s Why Some Ice Cream Sandwiches Don’t Melt Even After 12 Hours In The Sun
Things that make you go hmmm: a young boy leaves his Walmart Great Value Ice Cream Sandwich outside on an …
- You Can Help Your Thyroid by Temporarily Reducing or Avoiding Goitrogenic Foods
The thyroid is part of the endocrine system, a small gland shaped like a butterfly and located in the lower …
- Orange Juice Not As Healthy As You Think
Just because it’s made from fruit, doesn’t mean it’s the best choice. Orange juice is a breakfast staple, right? Well—it …
- The 10 Biggest Lies of Mainstream Nutrition
There’s a lot of information out there about what foods are healthy, what foods will cause cancer, when you should …
- This Baby Tries Avocado For The Very First Time…That Look In Her Eyes Says It All.
The great thing about babies is that they never lie. Their reactions to all things is 100% honest and adorable. …
- Top 5 Reasons Soft Drinks Are Bad for You
Soft drinks are a staple drink here in the USA. Some of the biggest soft drink corporations got their start …
- 5 Herbs Your Liver Wished You’d Start Eating More Often (Or At Least Try!)
Good healthy herbs for liver function is essential. The liver is the largest solid organ in our bodies. It can …
- Nature’s Top 10 Sources of Phytochemicals That Selectively Trigger Cancer Cells To Self-Destruct
With almost a million estimated new cases of cancer each year in the United States alone(1), it’s small wonder that …
- When You Find Out What Banana Peels Can Do To Your Waistline, You’ll Stop Throwing Them Away!
People throw away banana peels all the time thinking that only the flesh contains all the good stuff. But that’s simply not …
- Arsenic Found in Rice, FDA Says Not To Worry?
A few days ago, the FDA released results of its tests for arsenic in rice and rice products. The conclusion of …
- 11 Amazing Uses for Onions You Never Knew About (From Insomnia to Preventing Cancer)
Onions–you either love ’em or you hate ’em. If you love ’em, you’re in luck: onions are part of the …
- Chia: Ancient Super-Seed Secret
Chia Seeds History A member of the mint family, the Chia plant (Salvia Hispanica) has oblong leaves and produces small …
- Eat 7 Walnuts And Wait 4 Hours: This Is What Will Happen To You!
Almonds seem to get all the spotlight when it comes to how healthy nuts can be. Although it’s true that they’re …
- 7 Reasons Why Your Body Needs More Vitamin C Right Now
As humans, we can’t produce our own vitamin C, so it’s important that we get it from our diet! Here’s seven …