When muscle pain strikes, the first thing most people reach for is the ibuprofen. While nonprescription painkillers are a huge industry, and a common household cure, they aren’t exactly free of side effects.
If you suffer from chronic pain, painkillers may also have less of an effect over time, meaning that you’ll have to start taking more and more just to get on with your day. So why not go for a safer, non-toxic alternative?
Homemade Oil For Pain
Use this simple recipe to treat joint and muscle pain as well as headaches and mental fog!
Keep it by your bedside to fight pain right when you wake up.
- 20 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10 tablespoons Himalayan salt
- 3-5 drops rosemary essential oil
- Mix ingredients in a glass jar, seal, and let it sit for 48 hours.
- To use, apply a small amount to affected area in the morning right after waking up. For headaches, apply directly to your temples.
- Massage the oil into your skin for 2-3 minutes and let it sit for up to 20 minutes.
- Use a clean damp towel to wipe away the remaining oil.
- Use everyday for 10 days to see lasting results.
How It Works
Rosemary contains 29 chemical compounds that give it a variety of healing properties. For one, the herb is known to fight heat-induced pain and dysmenorrhea (2).
It’s also widely used to treat headaches, muscle pains, and arthritis (3). The herb even fights stress, improves mood, and sharpens mental focus to help you go on with your day when suffering from chronic pain (4).
Olive oil serves as a carrier oil to keep the essential oil from evaporating. This ensures that the rosemary oil can do its job while it’s on your skin. It also dilutes the oil to prevent a rash or skin irritation caused by the hyper-concentrated essential oil (5).
Plus, olive oil contains natural anti-inflammatory compounds that help soothe overworked muscles and injured joints (6).
Lastly, salt contains essential electrolytes that improve nerve signaling to prevent muscle pain (7).
If you suffer from intense pain or arthritis, consider switching the Himalayan salt for Epsom salt, which is high in pain-relieving magnesium.
- Unhealthy Gut Flora Increases Your Risk of Deadly Diseases such as Stroke and Diabetes
Researchers from Georgia State University have used improved technological approaches to further demonstrate the role that healthy gut flora plays …
- 11 Ways Dehydration Could Be Making You Fat And Sick
The average human body is around 70% water. By not drinking enough water we are causing a whole raft of …
- Fatigue, Vitamin Deficiencies, and Diabetes: 7 Health Problems that Your Hands are Warning You About
The eyes may be the windows to the soul but your hands may be the windows to your blood and …
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- The Real Truth: Antidepressants Actually Deplete These 3 Crucial Nutrients for the Brain
Antidepressants are one of the most prescribed medications out there. But how much do you know about the side effects …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- Here’s The Homemade Cannabis Oil Recipe That People Are Using as a Chemo Alternative
People have been increasingly becoming aware of the anti-cancer benefits of cannabis over the last few years. Many studies done …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- 10 High-Protein Vegetables You Need to Start Eating Today
Protein is the building blocks of muscles as well as bone, skin, hair, and nearly every other part of your …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- The Many Benefits of Coriander Seed Oil and How to Use It
Coriander is a savory spice used extensively in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is the seed of the cilantro …
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …