When muscle pain strikes, the first thing most people tend to reach for is ibuprofen. While nonprescription painkillers are a huge industry, and a common household cure, they aren’t exactly free of side effects.
If you suffer from chronic pain, painkillers may also have less of an effect over time, meaning that you’ll have to start taking more and more just to get on with your day. So why not go for a safer, non-toxic alternative?
Homemade Oil For Pain
Use this simple recipe to treat joint and muscle pain as well as headaches and mental fog!
Keep it by your bedside to fight pain right when you wake up.
- 20 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10 tablespoons Himalayan salt
- 3-5 drops rosemary essential oil
- Mix ingredients in a glass jar, seal, and let it sit for 48 hours.
- To use, apply a small amount to affected area in the morning right after waking up. For headaches, apply directly to your temples.
- Massage the oil into your skin for 2-3 minutes and let it sit for up to 20 minutes.
- Use a clean damp towel to wipe away the remaining oil.
- Use everyday for 10 days to see lasting results.
How It Works
Rosemary contains 29 chemical compounds that give it a variety of healing properties. For one, the herb is known to fight heat-induced pain and dysmenorrhea (2).
It’s also widely used to treat headaches, muscle pains, and arthritis (3). The herb even fights stress, improves mood, and sharpens mental focus to help you go on with your day when suffering from chronic pain (4).
Olive oil serves as a carrier oil to keep the essential oil from evaporating. This ensures that the rosemary oil can do its job while it’s on your skin. It also dilutes the oil to prevent a rash or skin irritation caused by the hyper-concentrated essential oil (5).
Plus, olive oil contains natural anti-inflammatory compounds that help soothe overworked muscles and injured joints (6).
Lastly, salt contains essential electrolytes that improve nerve signaling to prevent muscle pain (7).
If you suffer from intense pain or arthritis, consider switching the Himalayan salt for Epsom salt, which is high in pain-relieving magnesium.
- 9 Arthritis-Friendly Foods To Help Manage Chronic Inflammation and Pain
Arthritis is a family of musculoskeletal disorders that consists of more than 100 different conditions, affecting people of all ages, …
- The Hidden Muscle Causing Your Sciatica Pain And 2 Easy Stretches For INSTANT Relief
Many people suffer from sciatica, a painful lower back condition caused by a pinched nerve. Sciatica can cause severe mobility …
- These All-Natural DIY Cough Drops Are Way Better Than Any You Can Buy
Coughs are often the bookends of colds and flu. Starting with a tickle and ending with the annoying irritation that …
- This is How Headaches Reveal What is Wrong With Your Health
Headache is the most common form of pain. It’s one of the main reason people miss days at work or …
- She Turned 2 Simple Ingredients Into a Cure For Cancer, Then The Government Shut Her Down
When you think of cancer, cottage cheese is probably not the first thought that comes to mind. But the word …
- Dos and Don’ts: Everything You Need To Know After Suffering a Heart Attack
If you or someone you know has suffered a heart attack, you know how scary the whole ordeal can be. …
- Colon Cleansing Remedy With Powerful Efficacy Made With ONLY 2 Ingredients
Ever wondered what might really be the cause behind your diabetes? Perhaps you have excess weight, kidney or liver disease or you’ve simply been …
- Cancer Diagnosis Spurs 90-Year-Old Traveler To Take The Trip Of A Lifetime
Guts, grace, dignity, and humor—that’s how we all want to be remembered for after this life. Here’s the story of …
- Study Finds Pravastatin Not Effective in Preventing Coronary Heart Disease
Pravastatin is one of the most popular medications prescribed as a preventive measure against congestive heart disease. It is most …
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids May Help Prevent Alzheimer’s
The positive link between Omega-3 fatty acids and cardiovascular health is well-established. Doctors and researchers are now examining other potential …
- 7 Signs Your Digestive System Needs A Probiotic Supplement
We’ll get the simple question out of the way first: what is a probiotic? Probiotics refers to the good bacteria …
- 8 Natural Alternatives to Replace Antibiotics Whenever Possible
The overuse of antibiotics has become a modern-day epidemic. These drugs have depleted our natural immunity by killing the good bacteria in our guts …
- Cannabis Company Designs Pain Patch For Fibromyalgia And Nerve Pain
As research progresses, we are coming to realize the phenomenal power of the cannabis plant. In years past, the study …
- Top 8 Warning Signs of Ovarian Cancer Women Need to Know About
Every year, many women with ovarian cancer are misdiagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome, stress, reflux or a urinary tract infection, …
- 9 Unmistakable Signs Of Appendicitis You Should Never Ignore
Chances are, someone you love has suffered from appendicitis during childhood or adolescence. Although it’s rarely talked about, appendicitis affects …