There’s nothing more uncomfortable than waking up from a nice nap only to find that you pulled a muscle in your neck. Sadly, that’s not the only way you can get a kink in the neck. Since the neck is a complex network of bones, ligaments, and muscles, it can be affected by injuries in other parts of your body, or simply by sitting too long at your desk (1).
In some cases, the pain can even last for weeks on end. Worst of all neck pain can appear alongside back or shoulder pain, making it difficult to go about your daily life.
Breaking Down Neck Pain
Whether it be caused by inflammation, muscle atrophy, or injury, neck pain can be notoriously hard to diagnose and treat. However, most often than not, neck pain is caused by (2):
- Poor posture
- Overuse of muscles
- Old age
- Poor form during heavy lifting
- Degenerated vertebrae
- Stenosis of the spine
- Joint problems
Other contributing factors include:
- Sitting for long periods of time
- Sleeping a deformed or overused mattress
- Sleeping on your belly
- Lack of physical activity
Neck Pain Relief
The best way to relieve neck pain is to target the underlying cause.
If you suffer from an injury, consider visiting a physical therapist, acupuncturist, chiropractor, or massage therapist.
On the other hand, if you suffer from radiating pain, or pain accompanied by fever, nausea, numbness, and/or lumps in your neck, visit a doctor immediately.
If you suspect that it may be a muscle issue, try yoga, massage or therapeutic stretching, such as the one in the video.
As Dr. Allan Mandell, a Miami chiropractor, explains, the exercise below contracts the trapezius muscles to fatigue them and release muscle tension.
All you need to do is stand tall with your feet at hip’s width apart with your arms by your side and your palms facing forward. Bring your shoulder up towards your ears and squeeze them as hard as you can for a few seconds. Relax for a few seconds and repeat 10-12 times.
When you’re done, shake your arms out and enjoy your fully relaxed shoulders.
- Got Back Pain When Sleeping? Here’s How to Fix It
One of those unfortunate signs of getting older is waking up stiff and sore. If you typically experience back pain …
- 8 Yoga Poses You Can Do in 8 Minutes To Relieve Back Pain
If you don’t exercise regularly, then chances are that you have a bad back. Contrary to what you may believe, …
- New Study Finds Yoga Better For Back Pain Than Standard Care
A new study has found that people suffering with long-term back pain experienced more improved back function compared to the …
- 6 Exercises For Lasting Lower Back Pain Relief
There’s nothing like a bit of back pain to make it hard to get up in the morning. If you’ve …
- 5 Foot Exercises To Relieve Back, Hip, And Knee Pain In 20 Minutes or Less
Your feet are a lot more important than you think. In fact, muscle weakness in your feet can cause hip, …
- How To Get A Deep Piriformis Stretch To Get Rid Of Pain In The Back, Hip, Buttocks & Legs
Lower back pain is very common and can be the result of a variety of causes. One of these isn’t …
- How to Heal Your Back Pain Naturally with Yoga
In the United States lower back pain is one of most common complaints. The Mayo Clinic states that most people will …
- 3 Best Abs Exercises That Help Prevent Lower Back Pain
Exercising your lower abdominal muscles regularly can help prevent back pain. Building up the muscles in your core can help to …
- 4 Tips for Avoiding Back Pain at Work
Over a million Americans suffer back pain as a result of an injury at work, whether acute or due to …
- 4 Back Relief Tricks to Sleep All Night Like a Baby
Not getting enough sleep is an all-too-common problem in modern society. Even if you head to bed early to get …
- 18 Easy Stretches in 18 Minutes to Help Reduce Back Pain
Back pain is the second most common reason people seek medical attention. When your back hurts, every movement is difficult …
- Teen Has Severe Back Pain For Months Until A Chiropractor Does This For Him
After pulling out a tree root Muntathar experienced excruciating severe back pain which forced him into a extreme hunched position. …
- Press These Three Points And Back Pain Will Disappear Instantly – Here’s How
Back pain is no walk in the park. Since your back supports your spine, the muscles and nerves in these …
- Effective 2-Minute Stretching Technique Will Help Adjust Your Spine And Reduce Back Pain
Your spine is the most important set of bones you have. Not only does it support your head, it also …
- How To Correct Anterior Pelvic Tilt With These 13 Stretches
We don’t really think about how we stand and walk—it’s just how it’s done, right? Poor posture, however, can cause …