There’s nothing more uncomfortable than waking up from a nice nap only to find that you pulled a muscle in your neck. Sadly, that’s not the only way you can get a kink in the neck. Since the neck is a complex network of bones, ligaments, and muscles, it can be affected by injuries in other parts of your body, or simply by sitting too long at your desk (1).
In some cases, the pain can even last for weeks on end. Worst of all neck pain can appear alongside back or shoulder pain, making it difficult to go about your daily life.
Breaking Down Neck Pain
Whether it be caused by inflammation, muscle atrophy, or injury, neck pain can be notoriously hard to diagnose and treat. However, most often than not, neck pain is caused by (2):
- Poor posture
- Overuse of muscles
- Old age
- Poor form during heavy lifting
- Degenerated vertebrae
- Stenosis of the spine
- Joint problems
Other contributing factors include:
- Sitting for long periods of time
- Sleeping a deformed or overused mattress
- Sleeping on your belly
- Lack of physical activity
Neck Pain Relief
The best way to relieve neck pain is to target the underlying cause.
If you suffer from an injury, consider visiting a physical therapist, acupuncturist, chiropractor, or massage therapist.
On the other hand, if you suffer from radiating pain, or pain accompanied by fever, nausea, numbness, and/or lumps in your neck, visit a doctor immediately.
If you suspect that it may be a muscle issue, try yoga, massage or therapeutic stretching, such as the one in the video.
As Dr. Allan Mandell, a Miami chiropractor, explains, the exercise below contracts the trapezius muscles to fatigue them and release muscle tension.
All you need to do is stand tall with your feet at hip’s width apart with your arms by your side and your palms facing forward. Bring your shoulder up towards your ears and squeeze them as hard as you can for a few seconds. Relax for a few seconds and repeat 10-12 times.
When you’re done, shake your arms out and enjoy your fully relaxed shoulders.
- 6 Back Pain Symptoms That Might Signal A More Serious Problem
Back pain is one of the most common aches and pains experienced in modern society. Often caused by a pulled …
- 7 Easy Stretches For Better Flexibility And Complete Lower Back Pain Relief
Statistics for ailments like lower back pain are skyrocketing – according to the American Chiropractic Association, 31 million Americans are …
- 5 Foot Exercises To Relieve Back, Hip, And Knee Pain In 20 Minutes or Less
Your feet are a lot more important than you think. In fact, muscle weakness in your feet can cause hip, …
- How To Get A Deep Piriformis Stretch To Get Rid Of Pain In The Back, Hip, Buttocks & Legs
Lower back pain is very common and can be the result of a variety of causes. One of these isn’t …
- The Castor Oil Remedy That’s Highly Effective Against Allergies And Back Pain
Castor oil is an affordable and significantly underrated ingredient for natural remedies. Not only does castor oil offer many benefits …
- She Traveled The World To Study People With Low Rates of Back Pain…This Is What She Discovered
Back pain is a common and often disabling problem, affecting most Americans at some point or other in their lives. …
- How To Correct Anterior Pelvic Tilt With These 13 Stretches
We don’t really think about how we stand and walk—it’s just how it’s done, right? Poor posture, however, can cause …
- Tylenol Medication For Back Pain and Osteoarthritis Is No More Effective Than a Placebo
Acetaminophen – also known as Tylenol and Paracetamol – is incredibly popular as a pain reliever. Throughout the world, people …
- Press These Three Points And Back Pain Will Disappear Instantly – Here’s How
Back pain is no walk in the park. Since your back supports your spine, the muscles and nerves in these …
- How to Heal Your Back Pain Naturally with Yoga
In the United States lower back pain is one of most common complaints. The Mayo Clinic states that most people will …
- 6 Lesser-Known Ways To Deal With Lower Back Pain
Lower back pain can come from all sorts of sources, and there’s no one universal cure. Many people go through …
- 17 Best Home Remedies for Back Pain Relief
For those of us who’ve experienced back pain, we know that there’s very little else that is as uncomfortable, inconvenient, …
- Loosen Up with These 12 Hip Flexor Stretches
With the amount of sitting most of us have to do on a daily basis, it’s common for hip and …
- 18 Easy Stretches in 18 Minutes to Help Reduce Back Pain
Back pain is the second most common reason people seek medical attention. When your back hurts, every movement is difficult …
- 4 Tips for Avoiding Back Pain at Work
Over a million Americans suffer back pain as a result of an injury at work, whether acute or due to …