Skin tags are little annoying flaps of skin that look a bit like warts (1).
They’re usually either pink or brown and small in size.
Skin tags are painless and harmless, but many people find them cosmetically unappealing.
Skin Tags vs. Warts
Skin tags are:
- Smooth and soft
- Knobby, they tend to hang off the skin
- Spontaneous – it’s hard to predict if they’ll appear
- Not contagious
- Rough, with an irregular surface (2)
- Caused by HPV (human papilloma virus)
- Contagious, they often spread and appear in clusters
Why Do Skin Tags Appear?
Skin tags are benign tumours (non-cancerous) about the size of a grain of rice.
“The friction created by skin rubbing against skin, a side effect of being overweight, is what causes skin tags in certain people, and explains why skin tags often grow in body folds.” via EverydayHealth
Where Do they Form?
Skin tags usually appear around natural skin folds. This includes near the eyelids, neck, groin, armpits and under the breasts.
Who Gets Skin Tags?
Skin tags are actually as common as they are harmless. Everyone, with little exception, develops one in their lifetime.
- People who are overweight and obese, probably because they have more skin folds and creases
- Pregnant women – most likely because of the hormones secreted
- Individuals with diabetes
- People with the human papilloma virus (low-risk HPV 6 and 11)
- Illegal steroid use – they interfere with the body and muscles, causing the collagen fibers in the skin to bond, allowing skin tags to be formed. via MedicalNewsToday
But that doesn’t mean that children, teens and young adults can’t get them too!
How To Get Rid Of Skin Tags
Other than being annoying, skin tags can get irritated by jewellery, clothing or shaving.
It’s always best to visit a dermatologist or doctor to get a proper diagnosis before attempting to remove skin tags. They can also freeze or cut off skin tags quite painlessly, especially in tricky spots.
This procedure isn’t typically covered by insurance, so if you want to clear them yourself, keep on reading!
How To Remove Skin Tags Using Thread
Whether you use a regular sewing thread or dental floss, blocking the blood flow to the skin tag will slowly kill it. This a proven method with a high success rate.
- clean the tag with alcohol
- use a piece of sewing thread or dental floss and tie it tightly around the base of the skin tag
- repeat the process for a few days (make sure to readjust the thread as the tag becomes smaller)
The skin tag will eventually shrivel up and fall off by itself.
- 5 Toxins That Destroy Your Thyroid And a Simple Drink To Save It
Your thyroid secretes hormones that regulate the metabolism of every cell in the body (1). It plays an important role in: …
- If You Ever Get Stuck In a Sinking Car, THIS Is What You MUST Do To Survive!
The idea of drowning is terrifying. Sadly, in many cases, drownings could have been easily avoided if the victim had …
- These 23 Restaurants Have the Most Antibiotics in their Meat – Avoid Them!
Antibiotic resistance. You may have heard the phrase shouted about in health circles, but what does it really mean? Of course, …
- 15 Reasons Why You NEED To Make Ginger Syrup And How To Use It Every Day (With Recipe!)
Ginger is probably one of the most widely used culinary spices in the world. It brings life to so many …
- Popular Prescription Medications May Contribute to Falls, Injuries in Elderly Patients
Too often we hear of elderly people falling and breaking a hip or becoming very bruised, limiting mobility and having …
- 6 Ways to Boost a Slow Metabolism. Just Doing #5 Helps A Lot.
The dreaded slow metabolism is a frequent roadblock in the effort to get fit by losing weight. If your body …
- 11 Best Herbs for Flushing Belly Fat, Removing Toxins and Skyrocketing Metabolism
Losing weight is hard enough on its own, so why not get a little support to boost your metabolism and …
- 4 Most Common Types of Coughs And The Plants That Can Naturally Treat Them
As air quality levels continue to degrade between environmental pollution, chemical pollution and geoengineering–lung disease, infections and illness continue to …
- Chamomile Essential Oil Shown to Kill up to 93 Percent of Breast Cancer Cells, Study Finds
They’ve gained considerable notoriety in recent years for their myriad uses in both aromatherapy and integrative medicine. But did you …
- Prevent Cavities, Heal Gum Disease, and Whiten Teeth With This Natural Homemade Toothpaste
Many commercial personal care products are loaded with harmful ingredients, ranging from plastic beads to hormone disruptors. Artificial sweeteners are …
- Fish Oils Save Young Accident Victims from Permanent Brain Damage
Every once in a great while, mainstream doctors look away from their “standard of care” medical bags and dare to …
- The Biggest Loser TV Show Destroys Participants’ Metabolisms
The most important weight loss tip? Don’t try what you see on television. There is a big problem with the …
- The Shocking Reason Why You Need To Boil Cinnamon Before Using It For Weight Loss
If you didn’t already know, cinnamon is often used in weight loss recipes. And the reason for that is because eating …
- Want All the Amazing Benefits of Coconut Oil? Then Make Sure You Buy the RIGHT Kind!
We’ve been hearing a lot about coconut oil lately; whether it’s about the oil’s value in the kitchen or its …
- 5 Easy Soaks To Rebalance Good Bacteria And Banish Stinky Feet Forever
No one likes having stinky feet. It can also be pretty embarrassing to have to take off your smelly shoes …