Skin tags are little annoying flaps of skin that look a bit like warts (1).
They’re usually either pink or brown and small in size.
Skin tags are painless and harmless, but many people find them cosmetically unappealing.
Skin Tags vs. Warts
Skin tags are:
- Smooth and soft
- Knobby, they tend to hang off the skin
- Spontaneous – it’s hard to predict if they’ll appear
- Not contagious
- Rough, with an irregular surface (2)
- Caused by HPV (human papilloma virus)
- Contagious, they often spread and appear in clusters
Why Do Skin Tags Appear?
Skin tags are benign tumours (non-cancerous) about the size of a grain of rice.
“The friction created by skin rubbing against skin, a side effect of being overweight, is what causes skin tags in certain people, and explains why skin tags often grow in body folds.” via EverydayHealth
Where Do they Form?
Skin tags usually appear around natural skin folds. This includes near the eyelids, neck, groin, armpits and under the breasts.
Who Gets Skin Tags?
Skin tags are actually as common as they are harmless. Everyone, with little exception, develops one in their lifetime.
- People who are overweight and obese, probably because they have more skin folds and creases
- Pregnant women – most likely because of the hormones secreted
- Individuals with diabetes
- People with the human papilloma virus (low-risk HPV 6 and 11)
- Illegal steroid use – they interfere with the body and muscles, causing the collagen fibers in the skin to bond, allowing skin tags to be formed. via MedicalNewsToday
But that doesn’t mean that children, teens and young adults can’t get them too!
How To Get Rid Of Skin Tags
Other than being annoying, skin tags can get irritated by jewellery, clothing or shaving.
It’s always best to visit a dermatologist or doctor to get a proper diagnosis before attempting to remove skin tags. They can also freeze or cut off skin tags quite painlessly, especially in tricky spots.
This procedure isn’t typically covered by insurance, so if you want to clear them yourself, keep on reading!
How To Remove Skin Tags Using Thread
Whether you use a regular sewing thread or dental floss, blocking the blood flow to the skin tag will slowly kill it. This a proven method with a high success rate.
- clean the tag with alcohol
- use a piece of sewing thread or dental floss and tie it tightly around the base of the skin tag
- repeat the process for a few days (make sure to readjust the thread as the tag becomes smaller)
The skin tag will eventually shrivel up and fall off by itself.
- Spray This Oil And You Will Never See Mold Again
Mold is everywhere, whether you can see it or not. These microscopic fungi flourish not only in the bathroom but …
- Science Proves Himalayan Salt Lamps Fight Anxiety and Depression
If you’ve already made the switch to Himalayan salt in the kitchen, why not take it a step further? Large …
- Avoid Fleas and Ticks Forever With This Natural Remedy!
Every pet owner knows how annoying fleas can be. These minuscule insects can multiply in days and easily infest your …
- 9 Exercises To Burn Abdominal Fat
What are the best exercises to burn belly fat? A common question in the world of fitness. Belly fat is …
- 9 Signs You’re Overstressed (And Don’t Know It)
Countless studies show that stress is at actually at the root of most disease. In fact, 77 percent of us …
- Your Body Is Acidic. Here’s What You NEED To Do (The Real Truth Behind Cancer…)
Ever heard of Dr. Otto H. Warburg? Unless you or your family member has suffered from cancer and tried to …
- Take THIS Before Bed to Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat While You Sleep
Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat It’s normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few pounds, even when you exercise …
- The EXACT Amount of Epsom Salts You Should Be Adding to Your Bath Based on Your Weight
Epsom salt may look like salt, but it’s actually magnesium sulfate, a mineral compound (1). Epsom salt can be used …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …