Skin tags are little annoying flaps of skin that look a bit like warts (1).
They’re usually either pink or brown and small in size.
Skin tags are painless and harmless, but many people find them cosmetically unappealing.
Skin Tags vs. Warts
Skin tags are:
- Smooth and soft
- Knobby, they tend to hang off the skin
- Spontaneous – it’s hard to predict if they’ll appear
- Not contagious
- Rough, with an irregular surface (2)
- Caused by HPV (human papilloma virus)
- Contagious, they often spread and appear in clusters
Why Do Skin Tags Appear?
Skin tags are benign tumours (non-cancerous) about the size of a grain of rice.
“The friction created by skin rubbing against skin, a side effect of being overweight, is what causes skin tags in certain people, and explains why skin tags often grow in body folds.” via EverydayHealth
Where Do they Form?
Skin tags usually appear around natural skin folds. This includes near the eyelids, neck, groin, armpits and under the breasts.
Who Gets Skin Tags?
Skin tags are actually as common as they are harmless. Everyone, with little exception, develops one in their lifetime.
- People who are overweight and obese, probably because they have more skin folds and creases
- Pregnant women – most likely because of the hormones secreted
- Individuals with diabetes
- People with the human papilloma virus (low-risk HPV 6 and 11)
- Illegal steroid use – they interfere with the body and muscles, causing the collagen fibers in the skin to bond, allowing skin tags to be formed. via MedicalNewsToday
But that doesn’t mean that children, teens and young adults can’t get them too!
How To Get Rid Of Skin Tags
Other than being annoying, skin tags can get irritated by jewellery, clothing or shaving.
It’s always best to visit a dermatologist or doctor to get a proper diagnosis before attempting to remove skin tags. They can also freeze or cut off skin tags quite painlessly, especially in tricky spots.
This procedure isn’t typically covered by insurance, so if you want to clear them yourself, keep on reading!
How To Remove Skin Tags Using Thread
Whether you use a regular sewing thread or dental floss, blocking the blood flow to the skin tag will slowly kill it. This a proven method with a high success rate.
- clean the tag with alcohol
- use a piece of sewing thread or dental floss and tie it tightly around the base of the skin tag
- repeat the process for a few days (make sure to readjust the thread as the tag becomes smaller)
The skin tag will eventually shrivel up and fall off by itself.
- 3 Simple Ways to Shield Yourself from Computer and Cell Phone Radiation
With cell phones and computers becoming increasingly ubiquitous in society, many people are beginning to ponder the possibly negative effects …
- Optimize Your Health with This Infographic
A healthy lifestyle emerges from countless small choices that you make throughout the day. Looking for new ideas? Check out …
- Garlic Soup Made With 52 Cloves of Garlic Can Defeat Colds, Flu And Even Norovirus
It’s difficult and nearly impossible to go through winter without catching a cold. Most people rely on Tylenol or cough medicine to …
- Classified Documents Reveal Monsanto Knew About Glyphosate Link to Cancer 35 Years Ago
Roundup is the most popular herbicide on the planet. It’s made by Monsanto, a multi-billion dollar corporation headquartered in St. …
- Woman’s Mole Turned Out To Be Cancerous After Doctor Dismissed Her Worries
Months after a doctor dismissed a young woman’s mole as nothing serious, another doctor diagnosed her with melanoma, the deadliest …
- How To Grow Your Own Pineapple At Home
Just like homemade meals always taste better than going out to the restaurant, growing your own food will always be …
- A Japanese Device Claims to Fix Ingrown Toenails at Home in Just 30 Minutes
Ingrown toenails are annoying, and we’re almost all experienced them. They seem to come out of nowhere, and can linger …
- Doctors Refused to Give This Woman a Smear Test. 15 Months Later, She Died From Cervical Cancer…
Could you imagine being denied a medical test you requested all due to your age? For poor Sorcha Glenn, this …
- The SHOCKING Truth About Milk The Dairy Industry DOESN’T Want You To Know
How many times a day do your drink milk? For many people, a meal or a snack isn’t complete without …
- Dry Skin Brushing Helps Detox Your Skin And Reduce Cellulite…Here’s How To Do It Correctly!
Your lymphatic system plays an important role in helping your body get rid of waste and toxins. One of its main …
- The Alarming Epidemic That’s Sweeping The Nation
You’d better sit down for this. If you live in the United States and think about the adults you know, …
- How to Make Your Own Air Conditioner in Less Than 15 Minutes With Common Household Items
In the hotter months, it seems like every little thing takes extra effort. Even getting a good night’s sleep seems …
- Do You Easily Get Annoyed By The Sound of Chewing? Apparently THIS Is The Reason Why!
Some people need to be in a quiet space to focus properly while others need absolute dead silence. If you …
- Canadian Clay Kills Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria On Contact
Is healing clay a reasonable treatment option for modern-day ills? It may become one. As we move closer and closer …
- Struggle With Belly Fat? You Need To Start Drinking These 4 Teas Immediately
One of the most frustrating types of fat is belly fat. This fat is not only stubborn, but it comes …