Back pain is incredibly common in adults throughout the world.
Whether it’s the strain of sitting down or standing up for hours at time or the stress of every day life, there are countless causes of this condition.
The most talked about type of back pain is the lower back, but what does it mean when the pain is felt in your shoulders and rib cage?
Upper Back Pain
Your upper back is defined as the region of your back ranging from the base of your neck down to the bottom of your rib cage (1).
Pain experienced in this region is often described as a dull, burning, or sharp pain that may or may not be accompanied by muscle tightness and stiffness (2).
This condition is often caused by (2) :
- Overuse, muscle strain, or injury to the muscles, ligaments, and discs that support your spine.
- Poor posture.
- Pressure on the spinal nerves from certain problems, such as a herniated disc , which can be accompanied by pain radiating down the arms, as well as some numbness.
- A fracture of one of the vertebrae.
- Osteoarthritis caused by the breakdown of cartilage that cushions the small facet joints in the spine.
- Myofascial pain that affects the connective tissue of a muscle or group of muscles.
More alarming symptoms include:
- Weakness in your arms or legs.
- Numbness or tingling in your arms, legs, chest, or belly.
- Loss of bowel or bladder control.
If you experience back pain with any of the symptoms above, seek medical attention immediatley. You may be experiencing signs of gallbladder disease, infection or cancer.
Back Pain : An Unknown Cancer Symptom
Lower back pain can be a symptom of cancer of the colon, rectum, or ovary that has metastasized into surrounding regions (3).
Throughout the back, tumors in the spinal column may cause back pain from expansion of the bone or from weakening the bone.
This in turn can cause spinal fractures, compression (pinching) of the nerves, or spinal instability. Unlike occasional muscle pain, this causes tenderness and discomfort in the bones (5).
When the pain is felt between the shoulders, it may be a sign of esophageal cancer or lung cancer (6). Liver cancer has also been known to cause radiated pain in the back (7).
Home Remedies For Back Pain
If you experience chronic back pain, it’s always a good idea to visit your doctor or chiropractor to get a professional opinion on your condition, especially if it’s accompanied by other symptoms.
For lasting relief, preform these stretches everyday:
- Stand in an open doorway, resting both hands on the doorframe above your head.
- Gently lean forward until you feel a stretch in the front of your shoulders.
- Hold 15 seconds.
- Repeat two to three times.
- Sit up straight with your arms by your sides.
- Try squeezing your shoulder blades together as far as you can.
- Hold for five seconds.
- Do two sets of 15.
- Sit on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you.
- Grab onto your thighs, just above the knee and curl your head and neck towards your belly button.
- Hold for a count of 10 to 15 seconds.
- Repeat three times.
Lying knee twist
- Lie on your back with your arms and legs stretched out.
- Keep both arms out and flat against the ground.
- Bring your right knee towards you and cross it over the left side of your body.
- Hold for 20 seconds. Repeat on the other side.
- Kneel on the ground with your hands parallel to your shoulders and your knees parallel to your hips.
- Exhale and gently arch your spine, looking up to the ceiling.
- Inhale and tighten your core muscles as you are rounding your back like a cat.
- Hold for 10 seconds.
- Repeat 10 times.
- The DIY Cayenne Pepper Ointment Anyone With Psoriasis Needs to Know How to Make
Psoriasis isn’t really a skin condition—it’s a manifestation of an auto-immune condition. And a painful and unsightly one at that. T-cells …
- 3 Minerals To Reduce and Eliminate Cellulite
Every woman would love to know how to win the war against cellulite. CNN reports “more than 90 percent of …
- Being Overweight due to ‘Slow Metabolism’ No Longer Just an Excuse
No longer can people be mocked for saying the reason they are overweight is due to ‘bad genes’, because researchers …
- Scientific Proof That Meridian Lines Exist
Western medicine has long set the standard for hospitals and clinics worldwide, but it’s far from the only healing tradition …
- Why Slacking off at Work is Great for your Health
Do you think your final words, when lying on your death bed will be at all like this; ‘I wish …
- Artichokes Are Rich In Phytochemicals That Can Help Protect The Liver And Prevent Cancer
When most people plan out their daily meals, artichokes aren’t exactly a frequent feature – but maybe they should be. …
- This Will Make Your Clothes Bright White And Fresh Like Spring. No Chemicals, Cheap And Easy!
There’s nothing like a stubborn stain to ruin your new shirt. Sure, you can use a chemical cleaner like bleach …
- Researchers Document Over 40 Plant-Based Compounds That Can Halt The Spread of Cancer
How deadly cancer can be often depends on how fast it spreads, or metastasizes, in the body. A cancerous tumor …
- Master List of Monsanto Owned “Food” Producers
What if you found out that your favorite brand isn’t as safe and family-friendly as its colorful branding makes it …
- 10 Healthy Habits That Will Keep Your Kidneys Happy
Kidneys are amazing organs, with the ability to sustain adult human life at only 20 percent of its normal functioning …
- 7 Surprising Sore Throat Remedies Hiding In Your Pantry
From air pollution that acts as an irritant to allergies and the frustrating common cold, the causes for developing a …
- 5 Outstanding Ways To Use Raw Honey And Coconut Oil Together
Raw Honey and coconut oil are some of the most versatile foods available. Not just because of their nutritional values …
- 10 WORST Breakfast Foods For Your Waistline
Eating a bad breakfast is worse than not eating breakfast at all. This is because a poorly balanced meal gets …
- 4 Natural Ways to Protect Your Liver From Prescription Drug Damage
Your liver carries a great deal of responsibility in your body, most having to do with filtering the blood to …
- Top 4 Cancer Fighting Spices You Need To Try
These four cancer fighting spices have powerful health benefits and were part of my daily regimen to beat cancer without …